Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

How does the western conference stack up next year?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 TheBeardedOne

TheBeardedOne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:29 AM

1. Thunder

2. Spurs

3. Rockets

4. Warriors

5. Clippers

6. Grizzlies

7. T-Wolves

8. Nuggets

#22 amacbrooks12

amacbrooks12

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 161 posts
    • LocationBronx, New York

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:32 AM

RollingWave :

My standings we're based on non-injuries and how team's roster looks ON PAPER at this moment. Which is why I have the hawks missing out the playoffs because ON PAPER the cavaliers and wizards have a better team. And If you think Paul Millsap is an offensive improvement over Josh Smith you're crazy. I dont even have to argue on that one.

Buckko :

People said the same thing last season when the Lakers we're 7 games under .500. You can never count out the Lakers, especially with a hungry/angry Kobe Bryant and no Dwight drama. That is why I have them at that 8th spot.

#23 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,636 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:53 AM

RollingWave :

My standings we're based on non-injuries and how team's roster looks ON PAPER at this moment. Which is why I have the hawks missing out the playoffs because ON PAPER the cavaliers and wizards have a better team. And If you think Paul Millsap is an offensive improvement over Josh Smith you're crazy. I dont even have to argue on that one.

Buckko :

People said the same thing last season when the Lakers we're 7 games under .500. You can never count out the Lakers, especially with a hungry/angry Kobe Bryant and no Dwight drama. That is why I have them at that 8th spot.

Dwight carried them that last run and Jazz folded in the last few games. They got lucky and with the Timberwolves coming back, blazers improving, nuggets still in it, NOPin the fight for the last 2 seeds. I will give them 10th seed.

#24 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 506 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:20 AM

RollingWave :

Buckko :

right, it's crazy to suggest that two players scoring the same per/36 and the player who do it in a considerably more efficient matter is the inferior offensive player.

Josh Smith played more minutes, so there is some value in that, since he is most likely replacing an inferior player in that stretch, but one does have to point out that a. the difference is about 5 minutes, which could easily be the coaches' choice and b. it's very clear as daylight who has the better chance of putting the ball in the basket when it's in their hands, and it's not Josh Smith.

I'll say that I agree Josh Smith has considerably higher talent ceiling, but one has to realize that Millsap realized nearly all of his ceiling while Smith only realized about 60-70% of it.

But we'll see, remember this prediction, unless Hordord / Millsap / Teague suffers considerable injury, the Hawks will pretty comfortably make the playoffs.

#25 amacbrooks12

amacbrooks12

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 161 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:21 AM

RollingWave :

You could pull out any stat you want, Paul Millsap is NOT better than Josh Smith in any way. And Teague / Millsap / Horford is no playoff team, that is a 9th seed team AT BEST. But I respect your opinion, we will see.

#26 amacbrooks12

amacbrooks12

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 161 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

Buckko :

Dwight carried them that last run? Exactly what run? If you're talking about the "run" after Kobe suffered an achille's injury you're a joke. Because when Kobe suffered his injury the Lakers were already in playoff position. And the Jazz didn't "fold". They had one of the hardest remaining schedules in the league playing numerous playoff teams. That 2012-2013 Jazz roster losing to playoffs teams isn't folding, it's reality. Like I said you can't count out the Lakers.

Edited by amacbrooks12, 06 August 2013 - 07:33 AM.

#27 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,636 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

Buckko :

Dwight carried them that last run? Exactly what run? If you're talking about the "run" after Kobe suffered an achille's injury you're a joke. Because when Kobe suffered his injury the Lakers were already in playoff position. And the Jazz didn't "fold". They had one of the hardest remaining schedules in the league playing numerous playoff teams. That 2012-2013 Jazz roster losing to playoffs teams isn't folding, it's reality. Like I said you can't count out the Lakers.

When you lose at the end, you fold. Doesn't matter if it were good teams. I'm sorry the Wolves, blazers are another talent level than the lackers while nuggets are always in it and NOP already has far better players than the lakers. 

#28 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,125 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

Buckko :

D-12 may have had help carrying them but his numbers in the second half of the season indicate he was helping to carry them

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#29 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,137 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

Let's try not to label people as "crazy" or "jokes".  One, it's rude and dismissive.  Two, it is not a valid rebuttal of any argument.

Prove your points.  I know it can feel redundant and providing evidentiary support can be time consuming, but it not only makes your point stronger--it makes it better reading for everyone else.  Like my math teachers constantly reminded me, "Show your work".  It's not enough to stake a claim to the final answer--show how you got there and support that answer with stats, quotes, video, or whatever you can find.

In longer threads, the odds are you can find that information on prior pages and simply quote it into your post.  Be creative.  Be thorough.  Be convincing.  Be respectful.

Thanks.

#30 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,636 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:32 PM

Buckko :

You know when they started winning games is when Dwight began to feel healthy. 

#31 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,597 posts
            • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:52 AM

Yes they are, but supposedly if you have a healthy Kobe / Nash / Pau trio that should at least score enough to compete, but I'm very skeptical of them being able to defend at all, however, I think folks are underselling how good their offense could be, if those 3 are actually effective, all they need to do is to be not a bottom 5 defense to at least be in the 8th seed conversation, I think the odds of all those things lining up is terribly low (aka, the big 3 healthy, effective, AND their defense doesn't suck. ) it doesn't help that their coach is notorious for his inability to coach any semblance of defense.

Barring injury, I don't see why the Bucks would finish that bad, people seem to miss that their best player 3 best player last year was Larry Sanders / Ersan Ilyasova and John Henson.  all 3 are still on the team and 2 of them is likely to get better. Monta Ellis for OJ Mayo is a wash essentially, they did downgrade a little going from Jennings to Knight.. maybe (Knight is much better defensively.) but it's not like the Bucks offense were running well with Jennings.  

The Hawks essentially swapped Smith for Paul Milsap which is a lateral move at worst, and maybe even an improvement as Milsap is much more complete offensive player. I can't see them missing the playoffs without injuries.

On the otherhand, I figure for the Wizards or Cavs to make it they need their guys to show better health than they've had in recent years, while I have some confidence in the Wizards, the Cavs is a different story, when your 2 best player played 50 and 0 games last year, penciling them in for anything is a terrible idea.

Millsap is more efficient, but is not a more complete offensive player. Also Smiths defense is much better than Millsaps

Why so Serious? :D

#32 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 506 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:55 AM

Millsap is more efficient, but is not a more complete offensive player. Also Smiths defense is much better than Millsaps

let's just say that stats do not back up either of those assessments.

#33 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,597 posts
              • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

1) what stat is there to tell who is a more "complete" offensive player
              2) I won't go into the myriad of stats that show one is better than the other.

#34 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,636 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

I do have to say if Kyrie continues to develop, Bynum becomes healthy, and Miami heat don't win it in 2014. Lebron goes to Cleveland no doubt about it. Along with the fact of Tristan Thomson and Dion Waiters becoming great players and hopefully Bennett finds a niche. You will have the next great Superpower and the team to  beat in the east.  

#35 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 709 posts
                • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

Guys, you are getting out of topic here, we are talking about the Western Conference...

#36 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 506 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

The odds of Bynum being healthy seems to be only good when compare to Greg Oden...

#37 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 197 posts
                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

1. Thunder

2. Spurs

3. Clippers

4. Grizzlies

5. Rockets

6. Warriors

7. Minnesota

8. New Orleans

Like most others, I feel like seeds 1-5 are going to be extremely close, and the order can be shifted around. I think we will go through growing pains early on which is why I have us at the 5th seed. I'm not as high on GS as everyone else is. They were a pretty average team until the playoffs last year, and I have serious doubts that they can go a full season without injuries. New Orleans is more of a bold (well not too bold) predicition. I feel like Dallas and Portland also have a shot getting the last seed, but I would like to see New Orleans in there.

#38 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • 1,636 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

I think 

1. Thunder

2. Spurs

3. Clippers

4. Grizzlies

5. Rockets

6. Warriors

7. Minnesota

8. New Orleans

Like most others, I feel like seeds 1-5 are going to be extremely close, and the order can be shifted around. I think we will go through growing pains early on which is why I have us at the 5th seed. I'm not as high on GS as everyone else is. They were a pretty average team until the playoffs last year, and I have serious doubts that they can go a full season without injuries. New Orleans is more of a bold (well not too bold) predicition. I feel like Dallas and Portland also have a shot getting the last seed, but I would like to see New Orleans in there.

NOP are too young and they need to learn to gel while I doubt the rockets will have growing pains like the heat did their first year. We only added Howard and we already know what system we are using. We should be 4th seed at the least because the Grizzlies have no offense and Z-Bo is declining. It should be interesting between the clippers and the rockets because the clippers play no defense, and the rockets offense is better than theirs, but lets see how Doc can change that. I also agree that the Warriors are highly overrated and we would be a matchup nightmare for them, cheers for another shot at that record. 

#39 txtdo1411

txtdo1411

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 197 posts
                    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

I think 

NOP are too young and they need to learn to gel while I doubt the rockets will have growing pains like the heat did their first year. We only added Howard and we already know what system we are using. We should be 4th seed at the least because the Grizzlies have no offense and Z-Bo is declining. It should be interesting between the clippers and the rockets because the clippers play no defense, and the rockets offense is better than theirs, but lets see how Doc can change that. I also agree that the Warriors are highly overrated and we would be a matchup nightmare for them, cheers for another shot at that record. 

You may be right about NO. I just like the young rebuilding teams, so I would like to see them there. About the Rockets do we already know what system we are going to use? Are we going to slow the game down a little bit now thta we have Dwight? Is Dwight going to be satisfied primarily being a PnR player? Will one of our young PFs finally step up? How will Lin be handled?

I think the ceiling for the Rockets is extremely high, but we also have a lot of questions (granted so does every team). I just believe it will take some time for not only the players to figure it out, but the coaching staff as well.

#40 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 2,597 posts
                    • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

It will be interesting to see how ZBo responds after the total annihilation that he received against the Spurs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users