Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Which player has the higher ceiling?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

Poll: Higher Ceilings? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Which young PG has the highest ceiling?

1. John Wall (11 votes [40.74%])

Percentage of vote: 40.74%

2. Kyrie Irving (11 votes [40.74%])

3. Jrue Holiday (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

4. Damien Lilliard (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

Which young SG/SF has the highest ceiling?

1. Ben Mclemore (1 votes [3.70%])

2. Victor Oladipo (3 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Klay Thompson (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Jimmy Butler (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Kawhi Leonard (6 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

6. Chandler Parsons (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

7. Jeff Green (1 votes [3.70%])

8. Paul George (14 votes [51.85%])

Percentage of vote: 51.85%

Which young PF/C has the higher ceiling?

1. Andre Drummond (10 votes [37.04%])

Percentage of vote: 37.04%

2. Anthony Davis (11 votes [40.74%])

3. Anthony Bennett (1 votes [3.70%])

4. Nerlens Noel (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Demarcus Cousins (5 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:17 AM

We've discussed this topic in lots of previous posts, but I just wanted to consolidate it here, so we can keep the other posts focused on their respective topics.

Why so Serious? :D

#2 Buckko

Buckko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:42 AM

We've discussed this topic in lots of previous posts, but I just wanted to consolidate it here, so we can keep the other posts focused on their respective topics.

I wouldn't have compared rookies with guys who will be going into their 4th NBA season though. You really don't know what to expect from rookies. It would have been better if you did rookies/sophomores and juniors/4+ 

#3 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:59 AM

unfortunately I agree with Buckko here :lol: players from this previous draft still have to many question marks to see their future right now. I felt the two best players at PG were Lilliard and Kyrie. I chose Lilliard because I think he will be the better all around player.....Kyrie will always beat him out in scoring, but he can be an impact player on both ends. the SG/SF slot Paul George was a run away in. at C/PF I took Cousins.......I know he's a knucklehead, but a very talented knucklehead. he has the highest ceiling.....now whether he is able to reach it is another question all together. however base on potential alone Cousins could one day rule the NBA

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#4 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,596 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:11 AM

I went with Wall, Leonard, and Drummond. I love players who play defense and all three of these players play defense better than their counterparts.

I chose Leonard over George because he's the better defender, he's improved tremendously and he plays for Pop. I mean he learned how to shoot the 3 ball, developed a floater, a hook shot, and a beginning of a post up game. All in a few years. Dude has potential. 

I chose Wall over Irving because he's got everything Irving has except the shot. I believe  he's got better court vision and far superior defensive skills. The shot can be acquired more easily than defense can. Irving is allergic to defense, moreso than even Nash was. 

And for the big man, choosing Drummond over Cousins was pretty easy. Drummond's already a better defender and rebounder. I think Cousins will always be the better offensive player, but Drummond will close the gap pretty soon.

#5 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 703 posts
    • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:32 AM

Wall - George - Boogie. I think Green is too experienced for this poll, I think he already has hit his ceilling (almost, at least).

#6 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
    • 2,308 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:10 AM

I agree, the players chosen to be polled are confusing.

My choices: Wall, Harden, Cousins
    How sweet it is!

#7 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,596 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:18 AM

I chose younger guys who aren't recognized as superstars yet. I know George had a good year last year and exploded against Miami, but he's not a superstar yet. Green missed a lot of time with his heart condition so we haven't seen a lot of him yet. Everybody else is fairly young. Harden is a superstar so that's why I didn't choose him.

#8 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 703 posts
    • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

Harden was not an option. But still, George has the higher ceilling because he can excel defensively, and Harden won't play defense consistently enough to be a greater all.around player. But it's a matter of fitting the team as well, and I would still pick Harden for this team, just not for every team

#9 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
    • 2,308 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:53 PM

I think Harden could be an MVP some day, that would be considered a pretty high ceiling.
    How sweet it is!

#10 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

I think Harden's ceiling is the second best sg of all time.

#11 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,596 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

I think Harden's ceiling is the second best sg of all time.

I agree.

But where do you think he actually ends up? I have a hard time slotting him ahead of Kobe or Wade. Wade is an all time great defender at the 2 spot and Kobe's good on defense(most of those all nba defense were popularity). I think what he actually achieves is 5th best all time with my top 6 being

Jordan

Kobe

Wade

West

Harden

Gervin

#12 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
    • 2,308 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

I don't think defense is as important as leading, winning and delivering in the Finals. Harden has to win about 3 to get in that conversation, of course this is heavy speculation considering how young he is.

One big problem for George in my mind is that he will be facing LeBron for his career in the East, assuming they both stay over there.
    How sweet it is!

#13 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,596 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

FSS, how can you lead if you take off half the game? I don't see that happening. How can you win if your man gets wide open shots? How can you get to the finals let alone win one if he doesn't play defense?

Here's a look at the last few championship winners and their three biggest stars.

2013 = Miami Lebron(DPOY candidate), Dwayne Wade(top 3 defender at SG), Bosh(good help defender and gives his all)

2012 = Same

2011 = Mavs Dirk(much improved defender good help defender), Chandler(DPOY), Kidd(top 3 defender at PG even with his age that year)

2010 = Bryant(good defender, not great), Pau Gasol(good defender when locked in), MWP(elite defender)

Need I go on? As much as I love Nash, he's never won a ring. Neither has Melo, STAT, Dirk never won a ring until he played defense, etc.... I think all of the things you talked about will come as a result of dedication to defense. 

#14 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

come on guys...............I love Harden as a player too, but 2nd all time? TTDN I like your list, but where is Dr. J. how about  jerry west? 2nd all time is a tall order. where is Clyde

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#15 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

my bad I just seen West, but Clyde should be on the list

#16 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,596 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

They're my next two picks. I also have West up there.

#17 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

They're my next two picks. I also have West up there.

you think Wade is better than Clyde? are you listing them is order of greatness?

#18 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,133 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

Uh, guys....what about us?

Reggie-Miller--Ray-Allen-stock6451.jpg

#19 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

Miller I'm ok with......now benedict Allen I'm not so sure about :lol:

#20 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
    • 2,308 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

Sorry many of the greatest wings ever to play (yes I consider the NBA beyond the last few years) the game were not great defenders including Jordan and Kobe. Could those greats defend at times and contribute to team defense yes but was it their calling card, no way.
    How sweet it is!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users