Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

Talking Howard, Asik, Lin and looking ahead

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,303 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:01 AM

I agree, we don't need rookies in the starting line up. The clock starts ticking now and McHale, Howard and Harden need to be put in a position to succeed not carry rookies along. If the Rockets don't make the Western Conference Finals this year it could be seen as a failure by some. After this year the pressure to deliver will be serious and I look forward to the Rockets making a run.
How sweet it is!

#22 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:18 AM

as much as i like canaan, thats what everyone was saying about machado.....

Machado couldn't shoot. Canaan can shoot. That's needed with the current roster.

#23 Rockets fan newton

Rockets fan newton

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 144 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:01 AM

Machado couldn't shoot. Canaan can shoot. That's needed with the current roster.

Oh wow u were serious..no sir that won't be happening..now u guys are saying that a second round rookie is better then Lin..havnt even seen this kid play an your ready for him to to start..can we please calm down and wait til the season starts or Lin gets traded to start the bashing..putting The rookie over him is just getting crazy

#24 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
      • 2,303 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:36 AM

What we need is a starting point guard with handles and Lin is not that point guard.
      How sweet it is!

#25 DoubleClutchCityTwoston

DoubleClutchCityTwoston

• Members
      • Pip
      • 10 posts
      • LocationCascade, Colorado

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

Didn't we have a rookie on that squad back in '94? What was that kid's name?.....I think he played the point.....

If not now, when...?

#26 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 506 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

If you think a suspect handle NCAA 2nd rounder PG from a meh conference where he was the oldest player has better handle than any current NBA PG, starting or not, you should stop watching basketball.

#27 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 506 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

Didn't we have a rookie on that squad back in '94? What was that kid's name?.....I think he played the point.....

you mean the guy that started 8 games all year mostly due to injury, and wasn't a full starter until his age 28 season?

Sam Cassell was really good, he was an underrated prospect who well exceeded all rational expectation, expecting that from anyone is insane.

Oh btw, he was also an above average sized guard instead of a well below average one.

#28 jake1938

jake1938

• Members
          • Pip
          • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

I think neither Asik nor Lin should be traded.  McHale knows twin towers can win championships from Olajuwan and Sampson at Houston--and from Parrish and McHale at Boston.  Howard and Asik are mobile enough that one can essentially fill the power forward niche.  It is too early to give up on Lin.  At this point he is by the numbers only an average PG. But he has only one-and-a-half years NBA experience and did not have first-tier college basketball experience.  He has shown flashes of transcendence that suggest further upside potential.  His numbers are actually slightly better than Deron Williams at the same stage of his career.  Few people remember how rough Williams' first NBA year was, and Williams was coming off a team that played in a tough college conference, was ranked number 1 in the nation most of the year, and got all the way to the NCAA championship game, so he came to the NBA well seasoned.  Give Lin a bit more time.

#29 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

• Members
            • Pip
            • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

The twin towers is a concept that could work since Howard is a very mobile big.  In my mind he would definitely play the PF position on offense and defense.  Although not a great floor spacing duo, they are adequate enough passers that it may work.  If the Lakers could win a couple of championships with Bynum and Gasol clogging the middle, I think Howard and Asik has a chance to make it work.  

Lin on the other hand will always be limited by Harden.  It's like how Jordan never had a good PG play next to him.  He handles the ball way too much to make good use of one.  Lin is still developing, but I think it's clear he's not going to ever be a top tier PG.  He can easily grow into a good second tier one though, if not already.  

The Rockets have some great pieces and hopefully in the next couple years can knock off the Heat.  Everyone saw how vulnerable they can be to lesser teams.  

#30 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,008 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

Oh wow u were serious..no sir that won't be happening..now u guys are saying that a second round rookie is better then Lin..havnt even seen this kid play an your ready for him to to start..can we please calm down and wait til the season starts or Lin gets traded to start the bashing..putting The rookie over him is just getting crazy

Lin wasn't drafted. Therefore showing one has more talent then the other. Watched Canaan at Murray State, he is gooooood. He popped on the TV. Hopefully he will get over his sprained ankle and play Tuesday so everyone can watch.

#31 Rockets fan newton

Rockets fan newton

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 144 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

Yea this Lin thing has gotten out of hand..I just want it noted all of the ppl that don't believe in this man..I'm sure most of you guys were the same ppl that said Harden couldn't lead a team..(had a lot on the other blog I was on that said the same thing bout both)..I wont get into the Lin thing again with all of you..just looking foward to proving atleast 70% of you wrong..which in itself is kind of sad..I don't know if there is only like 5 of us speaking up or it's just popular to crap on a man that can play the game on a high Lvl..(I think saying tht rookies that havnt proved anything is better then Lin is crapping on him)..he even improved vastly the second half of the year and 70% of you didn't notice or care I guess..I'm not going to debate on why Lin is better then two unproven players(one a 2 round rookie in the worse draft in years)..it should be very clear why he is..I will wait til the season starts were he can show all 70% of these rocket fans he can play at a high Lvl..I hope all of you are lined up with saying you are wrong when he averages 17-9 all of next year

#32 quatin

quatin

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 48 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

I think neither Asik nor Lin should be traded.  McHale knows twin towers can win championships from Olajuwan and Sampson at Houston--and from Parrish and McHale at Boston.  Howard and Asik are mobile enough that one can essentially fill the power forward niche.  It is too early to give up on Lin.  At this point he is by the numbers only an average PG. But he has only one-and-a-half years NBA experience and did not have first-tier college basketball experience.  He has shown flashes of transcendence that suggest further upside potential.  His numbers are actually slightly better than Deron Williams at the same stage of his career.  Few people remember how rough Williams' first NBA year was, and Williams was coming off a team that played in a tough college conference, was ranked number 1 in the nation most of the year, and got all the way to the NCAA championship game, so he came to the NBA well seasoned.  Give Lin a bit more time.

I think for the twin towers to work, one of the towers needs to have an outside shot. Olajuwan had one. Howard and Asik have two of the lowest FT% in the NBA. The games will be rife with Hack-a-Howard and Hack-a-Asik.

#33 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 2,596 posts
                    • LocationAlabama

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

Talking about Bynum and Gasol......Gasol has an outside shot. That has to be the least relevant comparison ever.

Why so Serious? :D

#34 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                    • 2,303 posts
                    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

If you think a suspect handle NCAA 2nd rounder PG from a meh conference where he was the oldest player has better handle than any current NBA PG, starting or not, you should stop watching basketball.

Surely, this not a response to what I wrote. I am certain you would not write that I should stop watching basketball. If this is indeed directed at me you should read what I wrote before. No forum member should ever suggest to another forum that they should stop watching basketball, Rollingwave you craft outstanding arguments and I am sure you can do better than that.
                    How sweet it is!

#35 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 2,008 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

@SuperSonic It was too me. Cause I believe Canaan is and will always be better then Lin.

@quatin During the twin tower games Hakeem had no outside shot, he played Center. Ralph Sampson on the other hand was highly offensive skilled big man who could pretty much do it all at 7'4. Had his knees not gone out on him, he would be considered, in my honest opinion, as one of the best big men of all time. And if John Lucas could have just stayed away from the nose candy, the Rockets would have been a great organization in the 80s battling the Lakers for the West all those years.

#36 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                      • 2,303 posts
                      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

I think neither Asik nor Lin should be traded. McHale knows twin towers can win championships from Olajuwan and Sampson at Houston--and from Parrish and McHale at Boston. Howard and Asik are mobile enough that one can essentially fill the power forward niche. It is too early to give up on Lin. At this point he is by the numbers only an average PG. But he has only one-and-a-half years NBA experience and did not have first-tier college basketball experience. He has shown flashes of transcendence that suggest further upside potential. His numbers are actually slightly better than Deron Williams at the same stage of his career. Few people remember how rough Williams' first NBA year was, and Williams was coming off a team that played in a tough college conference, was ranked number 1 in the nation most of the year, and got all the way to the NCAA championship game, so he came to the NBA well seasoned. Give Lin a bit more time.

Welcome jake, glad to have you here on Red94 and thank you for an outstanding first post. We put a high value on well reasoned discussion and debate in a civil manner. I agree that right now considering the team and the market holding on to both Asik and Lin is right choice until Morey finds the right deal. Specifically to Asik I would really like to see him back up Howard so that both those big guys are fresh and healthy for the playoffs. With regards to Lin I have been a proponent to move his contract but at this point the smartest move is to keep him as he will improve and even more now with Dwight on the roster thus increasing his value.
                      How sweet it is!

#37 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
                      • 2,303 posts
                      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

I think for the twin towers to work, one of the towers needs to have an outside shot. Olajuwan had one. Howard and Asik have two of the lowest FT% in the NBA. The games will be rife with Hack-a-Howard and Hack-a-Asik.

I will invite some Rocket hacking because more often than not opponents will already be in foul trouble with opposing teams frontlines fouling out as they attempt to deal with Howard, Harden and the Rockets quick pace. Many average and lesser teams will get destroyed by a team that is just at an early stage of development.
                      How sweet it is!

#38 Richards

Richards

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 393 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

A few thoughts after D12 trade:

- Asik/Dwight combo is FT nightmare. They can't be together on court during crunch time.

- We should keep Asik/Lin if we have enough money, we shouldn't be changing too much. Having stars on the court doesn't translate winning. Remember LA had Kobe, Howard, Gasol, Nash

- Trade Asik if he really want out, keeping Asik against his will doesn't do any good for him and Organization.

- Hope Harden improve his ball handling (believe it or not, he had more turnovers than Lin and lost the ball a lot during critical plays)

- Hope we had successful first half of the new season. (D12 would call for new coach if we losing bad)

#39 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                        • 4,128 posts
                        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

I said it before, but it bears repeating--this concern about "hack-attacks" against Dwight and Omer is a non-issue.  In the last 5 minutes of games--presuming we have the lead--we can switch to a defensive unit of Harden, Garcia, Parsons, Howard, and Asik (maybe use Bev in there depending on the match-ups...I like Garcia guarding a Deron Williams type whereas Bev might be better on a Westbrook/Tony Parker...).  That unit will be incredibly hard to get off a good shot against and opponents will be lucky to score above 30% against us.  Meanwhile, if they can even afford the fouls, they will be putting two 50% ft shooters on the line every single possession.  That equates to 1 point per possession which is actually quite good.  That is the same as shooting 50% fg.  We will outscore them--plain and simple.  Opposing teams will be better off playing regular defense and hoping our shots don't fall.

Another alternative, if the opposition goes small and puts 4 3-pt. shooters on the floor is to pull Asik and bring in D-Mo or T-Jones.  D-Mo, at 7' tall, will give spot-up 3 pt. shooters a tough time and Jones is athletic enough to do the same.  Garcia is 6'7", Parsons is 6'10", D-Mo is 7', and T-Jones is 6'9"....with Howard anchoring the middle they can play up on their man and effectively stifle any 3 pt. attack.

Either way--scoring is going to be difficult.

#40 Rockets fan newton

Rockets fan newton

• Members
                        • PipPipPip
                        • 144 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

Yea owners are not dumb..they saw what he did with 30 min..he does 5pg-7rb in 17min they know he will do great with more min..I believe his stock can go up if he buys in and plays hard for the 17 min be would get a game..it all depends on the team..if we are doing well and it's working then they will be lined up to give us talent for Asik..I'm one that says he will be traded at he deadline for a good upgrade at Pf..we will see though..I'm fully confident that we won't rush a trade..I will be very surprised if he is traded before the season starts and we all don't love the trade

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users