Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

[Hypothetical] If we have to trade someone other than Thomas Robinson to get Dwight, who do we trade?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Poll: Who should we trade? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Who should we trade?

1. James Harden :P (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. Jeremy Lin (3 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

3. Donatas Motiejunas (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. Terrence Jones (2 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

5. Omer Asik (4 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

6. Chandler Parsons (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Don't get Dwight because he's not worth it (3 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

Actually, T-Robinson has already been traded in this scenario. But that doesn't have to happen if we were to trade Lin or Asik because their contracts are big enough that we would be able to keep T-Rob and get Dwight.

This topic is so mind wrecking X__X haha. If this hypothetical situation turns out to be real, I really hope Dwight gives us a discount! But if we get an AMAZING deal for Asik then it wouldn't matter, and we probably can imo. 

So keep T-Rob, get Dwight, plus get an amazingly good deal? I think you can guess where my vote would go ;)

I'm confused after your latest response.................isn't the title of your topic who else would the Rockets trade other than T-Robinson? Or perhaps you are pretty certain that the Rockets would have to trade T-Robinson and ________________ to make the free agency signing of D12 a reality?

I feel pretty confident that if the Rockets waive all the players they have team options on plus trade T-Robinson, that is probably good enough for them to sign D12. Of course, the caveat becomes who wants T-Robinson? The best the Rockets can probably expect in that case is 1 second round draft pick. With the Draft coming up BEFORE free agency, what the Rockets decide to do with T-Robinson will speak quite loudly about the events to occur soon after................

#22 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

The title does fail to acknowledge that T-Rob can be kept if Asik or Lin is traded so I did make a mistake there, but I get the feeling you didn't read my OP..

A team would have to get $20.5 million below the cap to afford Dwight (assuming he’s not offering any discounts). If Houston lets go of most of their non-guaranteed or team option salary (Anderson, Brooks, Delfino, Garcia, Ohlbrecht, Smith), and they find a taker for Thomas Robinson with no salary coming back, then they’d have about $19.6 million in cap room (assuming a $58.5 million cap).

--LINK

So assuming Dwight doesn't give us a small discount, trading T-Rob won't be enough. Last night I was talking with another salary cap expert and I asked him to confirm Larry Coon's calculations and he did, but I would rather not argue about whether or not the experts could be wrong.

#23 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 548 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

As much as I hate to say it, IF we land Dwight, I agree that trading Asik may be the best route. For one, it enables us to retain our youthful depth and potential. Two, after next season, the poison pill becomes poisonous to us if we have Dwight on contract at the Max. Of course the same goes for Lin, but as is stated, we will be able to get way more in return for Asik at this point. Unless of course NYK wants Linsanity back. Lin would be my first choice to get rid of, but hang onto Garcia, Anderson, Brooks and T-rob and the majority of the guys listed for the time being. That's if Lin goes, if Asik goes, hang onto Smith, Anderson and Olbrecht and T-rob. We need to keep Jones. Also, when is Parsons due a raise? That's something else that is going to make the poison pills more lethal. I liked Lin and Asik's contracts when they were cut because we really had no direction at that point, but we've secured our cornerstone and may land another superstar, those two really don't need to be a part of our plan anymore. So if we can find some takers for both, we will get more value now than next summer because of the escalation. If we hold out another season on those two we may be forced to pick up other teams' overpaid garbage in return.

Of course we wouldn't say no to Dwight, but I'd much rather see Morey pursue CP3, trade Lin, skip Dwight and hold onto Asik. Asik is as close as it comes to perfect defensively, and his style of play, like Duncan's or Scola's is going to allow him to have a much longer career than Dwight. I'd rather see 5 years of Asik holding Dwight to 12 points and 6 rebounds per meeting. Right now the biggest difference between the two is that Dwight has stickier hands that allow him to catch more entry passes and be effective in post up situations. Asik WILL learn these traits, I guarantee. Dwight's back has me worried too.. I know CP3 has knee problems, but on a roster with Harden, Parsons and Asik, his loss would be much easier to absorb than if Dwight went down and we're stuck with Lin, Harden and Parsons, and some scrub at center.

#24 Rockets fan newton

Rockets fan newton

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 144 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

There is a good chance Dwight becomes a Rocket first off..his ppl are saying the same thing about the rockets as they did the nets..he might change his mind a bit but he isn't a lier. He said that he didn't want to go to the lakers of the exact reason the season sucked for him..the media made him look a lot crazier then he really is in my opinion
        Second and back on topic..moving Asik isn't only the most logical choice it's what's going to happen anyway. We should be spending this chat talking bout were and how he might go..Morey had made it clear that he wants two players this offseason and the only way it's going to happen is if we move Asik and/or Lin..now we could get into the debate on how it makes more sense for Asik to be moved over Lin..or we can just watch and see how 2016 and I are just plan right..I'm going to go with the later..u can just give us the props later when u see Morey agree with us
        Another way to go if we wanted to keep both or couldn't get another player with Dwight (who I put at 75% coming here) then we could move White with rob..I believe that rob is a good enough prospect that we could talk the other team into dealing with his headache..and if we were forced to we could pay most If not all of the contract for the other team sending them the money in the trade
        Lastly and I still hope in the way we go..we do a s&t for Howard with a third team involving Asik 2 Pf's and most of the expiring contracts..the lakers could choose between the contracts and Pf's and get cap relieve and draft picks from the other team..win win for all teams

#25 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 548 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

The highest chances for D12 are for him to remain a Laker. They'll pull in the Zen Master and he'll convince Dwight to stay because with Pau aged and Kobe gone, LA needs it's cornerstone and will do everything they can to surround him with likable pieces. Hey dwight! You did it in Orlando with no help, you can do it in Hollywood too! You'd be THE MAN in Tinseltown! Plus Hollywood pressure is the exact kind that D12 will succumb to. LAC will hold onto Paul too, for similar reasons, but also because Jordan and Griffin are still young and they've got a dynasty waiting in the wings if they stay together.

Rockets will go with Plan B and sign Josh Smith,  or similar, keep most of our current rotation, and have a fun year next year with probably a second round exit.

Thank me later.

#26 Rockets fan newton

Rockets fan newton

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 144 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

The highest chances for D12 are for him to remain a Laker. They'll pull in the Zen Master and he'll convince Dwight to stay because with Pau aged and Kobe gone, LA needs it's cornerstone and will do everything they can to surround him with likable pieces. Hey dwight! You did it in Orlando with no help, you can do it in Hollywood too! You'd be THE MAN in Tinseltown! Plus Hollywood pressure is the exact kind that D12 will succumb to. LAC will hold onto Paul too, for similar reasons, but also because Jordan and Griffin are still young and they've got a dynasty waiting in the wings if they stay together.

Rockets will go with Plan B and sign Josh Smith, or similar, keep most of our current rotation, and have a fun year next year with probably a second round exit.

Thank me later.

Well that has a strong possibility of happening I guess..but zen has said he isn't coaching again..and he would only have 2 weeks to change his mind before it won't matter..Dwight just said that he doesn't care bout what ppl want..the only reason he signed back with Orlando was peer pressure from the team and his mom..I seriously doubt he would be foolish enough to give in again..he said the week before he got to la that he didnt want to go there,and he same reason y he wouldn't want to stay havnt changed..he is leaving. La were are just fighting other teams to get him..we have the best team already here..we can add another player now if he wanted us too..makes the most sense for him to Come here..like I said 75%

#27 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,125 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

Rockets will go with Plan B and sign Josh Smith,  or similar, keep most of our current rotation, and have a fun year next year with probably a second round exit.

Thank me later.

thank you for what? I suspect you will be eating crow after FA. howard will be a rocket. don't worry I'll get you your favorite beverage to go along with it, because you are building up such a large plate you're going to need something to wash it down :lol:  

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#28 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 437 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

Can I say anyone not named Harden or Parsons

#29 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,125 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

Well that has a strong possibility of happening I guess..but zen has said he isn't coaching again..and he would only have 2 weeks to change his mind before it won't matter..Dwight just said that he doesn't care bout what ppl want..the only reason he signed back with Orlando was peer pressure from the team and his mom..I seriously doubt he would be foolish enough to give in again..he said the week before he got to la that he didnt want to go there,and he same reason y he wouldn't want to stay havnt changed..he is leaving. La were are just fighting other teams to get him..we have the best team already here..we can add another player now if he wanted us too..makes the most sense for him to Come here..like I said 75%

agreed. this is the most likely outcome

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#30 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 4,125 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

@Alituro

are you wavering on this subject of trading asik? seems you have been on both sides of this discussion.

#31 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 548 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

Yeah I'm wavering. I'd still rather get Lin's pay off the books, but we could get the most in return for Asik for sure. That's if we sign Dwight, of course.

As for the rest of you, my "thank me later" was in response to newton's bold proclamations. Anyone know what the line is in Vegas on the subject?

Here it is as of May 30:

Lakers: $100 wins $100 (even money)
                Rockets: 3/1
                Mavs: 5/1
                Nets: 8/1
                Warriors: 10/1
                Hawks: 12/1
                Any other team: 6/1

But I guess y'all know better than anyone else.

#32 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                • 4,137 posts
                • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

Guess it's time to call my bookie...

#33 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,125 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

Guess it's time to call my bookie...

yeah.....this may be a really good betting season if I were a gambler no doubt there :P

Yeah I'm wavering. I'd still rather get Lin's pay off the books, but we could get the most in return for Asik for sure. That's if we sign Dwight, of course.

As for the rest of you, my "thank me later" was in response to newton's bold proclamations. Anyone know what the line is in Vegas on the subject?

Here it is as of May 30:

Lakers: $100 wins $100 (even money)
                Rockets: 3/1
                Mavs: 5/1
                Nets: 8/1
                Warriors: 10/1
                Hawks: 12/1
                Any other team: 6/1

But I guess y'all know better than anyone else.

those odds looking pretty good for the rockets. which means even vegas knows somethings cooking in the pot. I suspect by the end rockets will be even money also so now would be the time to jump on it

#34 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,008 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

Rockets will go with Plan B and sign Josh Smith, or similar, keep most of our current rotation, and have a fun year next year with probably a second round exit.

Thank me later.

If this is true I call dibs on 2026Champions, because that will be the first year the Rockets have a chance to win it all.

#35 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 3,216 posts
                  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

Two, after next season, the poison pill becomes poisonous to us if we have Dwight on contract at the Max. Of course the same goes for Lin

I'm confused, are you one of those people who think Lin's and Asik's contracts are structured 5/5/15 on our salary books? That structure only would have applied to the Bulls or Knicks if they matched. For us it's basically 8.3/8.3/8.3 

#36 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPip
                  • 548 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

I'm confused, are you one of those people who think Lin's and Asik's contracts are structured 5/5/15 on our salary books? That structure only would have applied to the Bulls or Knicks if they matched. For us it's basically 8.3/8.3/8.3 

Yeah I guess I am.. confused by the structure. Who you calling "those people"? :lol:

#37 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                    • 4,137 posts
                    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

p00vg1kq.jpg

...you know who you are... :D

#38 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 4,125 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

Yeah I guess I am.. confused by the structure. Who you calling "those people"? :lol:

:lol:  :lol:

p00vg1kq.jpg

...you know who you are... :D

:lol:  :lol: I'm glad some of us have a sense of humor

#39 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                    • 4,137 posts
                    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

Yeah, July 1st can't get here fast enough....18 more days of not knowing the Rockets' future...maybe longer... :wacko:

#40 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 4,125 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

Yeah, July 1st can't get here fast enough....18 more days of not knowing the Rockets' future...maybe longer... :wacko:

it will be over before you know it. once july 1 gets here I expect we will know in short order the outcome of FA. most of these stars already know where they are going.....even D-12.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users