Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Any BOLD predictions for next season?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:57 PM

Be as detailed as possible. I don't want to just make this a predictions thread, I want there to be some discussion too. At the end of next season I will bump this thread and have everyone take a vote for who made the most impressive detailed prediction. 

What made me think of this thread was how Sir Thursday made a really accurate detailed prediction HERE--that was pretty cool. I'll start with the first one that comes to my mind. 

I predict the Houston Rockets will be a top 5 defensive team next season--that's pretty bold considering how bad our defense was this previous season. Plus this prediction needs Dwight to sign in order for it to come true, which pretty much makes this a prediction within a prediction, and if I lose the Dwight signing prediction the main prediction has zero chance in hell. Hell, with the way James Harden plays D, you can say there's no chance either way.

Anyway, lets get started on the details. Whenever a team makes a huge improvement somewhere, it's always one player who gets the most credit in the eyes of the media. I can already hear Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith talking about how impressive it is that Dwight turned a bad defensive team into an elite one, but the truth is there's always more than one reason. 
  • Having Asik backing up Dwight gives us that elite defensive big man all 48 minutes--this is a big reason the Bulls were an elite defensive team in 2011-2012 (before anyone reminds me that this is a good reason to not trade Asik for someone who will play more minutes at other positions, let it be known I prioritize playoff results over regular season results)
  • We improve our transition defense by cutting down on turnovers, and this is something that comes from being more experienced both mentally and physically. Less turnovers = less fast breaks for the other team. This is a bigger deal than it sounds.
  • Improving on our rotations, this also comes with experience.
  • Simply improving as individuals, alot of our guys will improve as defenders, but I think the biggest improvement will come from Terrence Jones. Imo he can be an ELITE defender in this league at 3 positions, but his main position will be PF obviously. Bruisers like Zach Randolph won't abuse him in the post, finesse players like Dirk and Bosh won't have their way with him either imo, and he's far from being the type of guy you can expose on pick and rolls. He's pretty much a bigger, stronger, version of Josh Smith defensively. Offense is different story for a different discussion, but I will say that I think he will take longer to reach his potential offensively than he will defensively.

#2 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:09 AM

2014 NBA champions. Harden First Team all NBA. Terrence Jones Most Improved Player averaging 15/10/4.

#3 Yao-Lin Temple

Yao-Lin Temple

• Members
    • Pip
    • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:11 AM

Royce White follows his new best friend Kevin Durant to Jay-Z's Roc Nation and guests on a new Beyonce song "Anxious in Love"

#4 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,008 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:16 AM

Royce White follows his new best friend Kevin Durant to Jay-Z's Roc Nation and guests on a new Beyonce song "Anxious in Love"

Bold prediction, not Wonderland.

#5 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,596 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

We have 2 first team all NBA players in Harden/Howard.

We have 4 all-stars in Harden/Howard/Parsons/Lin. Lin almost made it this year in a down year so with a little improvement, I think he makes it.

We trade either Jones or DMo for a future
        1st rounder to make space for the other one. We trade Asik for the 10th and 2 other picks from Portland.

Why so Serious? :D

#6 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,216 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

I've got one that one's more of a hopeful dream than a prediction (don't judge me :P):

We trade Asik for Porland's 3 2nd round picks + an unprotected 1st round pick in next year's draft, and the players we draft with those 2nd round picks end up getting us huge steals like Parsons was, and due to injuries and luck that future 1st ends up being higher than expected getting us a future superstar in the draft.   :ph34r:

#7 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,596 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

If Portland has a starting five of Lillard/Batum/Aldridge/Asik/Random shooting guard, they will be a top 6 seed unless they get injured.

#8 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,216 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

Imo they will be a slightly above average team even if healthy, 8th or 7th seed, but if injuries strike they could end up around the same place they were this season. 

I don't doubt their talent, but I doubt their system/coaching. 

#9 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,596 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

That could be, plus they have to acquire depth.

#10 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 506 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

General issue with Portland is that they can't find a bench to save their life, and their defense is shaky, if they get Asik that'll help , though people underestimate how bad Lillard's defense was last year (granted, almost all rookie D suck) .

Offensively, they also don't get the rim enough, it doesn't help that their best overall offensive weapon shoots a long 2 60% of the time, he's one of the best at it, that still doesn't make it the most ideal thing to do.

I hope the transition part can be true, I think to do that we'll probably slow down the break neck pace a little bit.

#11 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 506 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

Also, I should note, with Portland's absurdly horrific luck with centers , I really hope Asik doesn't go there :P

#12 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 3,216 posts
            • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

My thoughts exactly. 

#13 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 548 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

My prediction; We strike out on BOTH the Howard and CP3 sweepstakes. We pick up Milsap as a consolation prize, re-sign Garcia. Jones develops into a stellar backup post guy. Asik nabs DPOY. Lin learns how to run a team. Harden makes 1st team All-NBA. We win the first round in 6 games and lose in the second. We enter the next FA/trading season with cap room abundant, finally land our third star and make it to the WCF the following season.

Baby steps.

#14 Rockets fan newton

Rockets fan newton

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 144 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

My Prediction is Dwight commits early then either Josh Smith/Chrjs Paul wants to come here on the cheap..we dramatically improve on def while our off slows down a bit and goes inside more..we fight OKC for the top spot in the west and beat them to go to the Championship were we stop the Heat from getting their 3 pear. CHAMPS IN 2014..the reason I say that is we have great talent that isn't scared of the moment they proved that last year..no one talks bout what having a healthy Lin would do this year..adding two great talents that play def at a really high Lvl adds to our biggest weakness on the team and makes it a strength. So 3 all stars an 2 first team all Nba as well.. Dwight gets MVP for the finals posting 25 15 3as 4bl 3st against the heat. Dwight finish 3 in overall MVP if Harden finishs 6th if we have Paul he finishs 1st or sec.
                BOOOOMMMM .....i will take my trophie for best prediction now 😉

#15 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 216 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

DMo and TJones provide just above league average production from the PF slot propelling us into the 4th seed narrowly beating out GS for homecourt.  The series goes to game 7 where we lose by 2 because we don't have enough D in our 1 & 2 spots to match up with Golden State combined with Harden spending the last three minutes of the game hunting for whistles instead of buckets.

Harden has to spend the offseason listening to everyone questioning his "clutchness."  Morey picks up a 3 and D backup wing to play crunch time minutes.  No one notices the extra help and everyone proclames Harden "gets it" once they advance to the second round in the next season.

#16 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 3,216 posts
                  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

I'm just going to keep this prediction short because the reason should be obvious. This is close to what Jeremy Lin will average next season:

17 points

6.5 assists

45% fg

37.5% 3pt

55% TS

3 turnovers

4 rebounds

2 steals

Imo it's not really a BOLD prediction but some Jeremy Lin doubters might think it is. 

#17 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,125 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:21 AM

bold predictions for next year

1. we sign D-12

2. we trade Lin either before season or at the trade deadline

3. we are a top 3 team in the west

4. t-jones becomes the starter at PF and puts up 12ppg 8rpg 2bpg 1spg 2-3apg

5, we keep asik

6. we win the championship while the Lakers miss the playoffs

7. parade on travis :rolleyes:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#18 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,008 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

I'm just going to keep this prediction short because the reason should be obvious. This is close to what Jeremy Lin will average next season:

17 points

6.5 assists

45% fg

37.5% 3pt

55% TS

3 turnovers

4 rebounds

2 steals

Imo it's not really a BOLD prediction but some Jeremy Lin doubters might think it is.

We said BOLD, not Wonderland. ;)

#19 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 4,125 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

We said BOLD, not Wonderland. ;)

:lol: I was thinking it, but I just wasn't going to say it since everyone think I bash Lin all the time :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#20 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPip
                    • 594 posts
                    • LocationHouston

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

not that bold of a prediction but considering how long its been since this teams truly done anything, ill settle on predicting a top 3 seed in the west and an appearance in the WCF (if not The Finals).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users