Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

If we get Dwight, should we trade Asik?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: If we get Dwight, should we trade Asik? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

If we get Dwight, should we trade Asik?

1. Yes (10 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

2. No (5 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

3. Keep him until we get a REALLY good offer (7 votes [31.82%])

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:05 AM

Although I should remind everyone, that although there is that 58.5 rumor going around, it is not really going to be finalized until 7/10, and the last time around the early rumor was at least 2 M lower than the real end result. so we may be just speculating over nothing anyway, as many folks pointed out, there have been at least 4 major TV deal since the last time the cap was really moved, and one of them is by far the biggest one ever, it seems rather unlikely that revenue only went up by a fraction since.

Also, the cap's final must be agreed upon by the players union as well, who's interest is to shoot it up as much as possible for obvious reasons.

#22 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 506 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

As for trading Asik , I have stated that I don't want them to, I want to see it happen for at least a year . 

reasoning.

1. having at least 1 defensive anchor on the court at all time : as noted, the Rockets this year played roughly the same without any other starter (actually, they played slightly better, Harden included.) however, when Asik left the floor they turned into a lottery team.  the drop off of having no dominant center in the middle is simply too huge, this is true for almost everyone, Roy Hibbert also essentially takes Indiana from a lotto team to a great one when he's on the floor.

Centers are the hardest guys to keep on the floor 40 min, and almost no one does that do their main center in the regular season anymore (there were 0 center in the league's top 20 MP this season , and 1 in the top 20 MPG at 17.) .  Asik, despite playing 82 games, was 4th on the team in terms of total minutes played . he was off the floor for almost 40% of the season, DESPITE STARTING EVERY SINGLE GAME. Dwight is heading into his late 20s, has some back issue, he's not going to play dramatically more minutes than Asik going forward. he just isn't, in the playoffs, in a do or die he might, but you have to first get there, and even then you have to get through 4 rounds to win the finals, you think it's a great idea to go 40+ all 4 round if you can avoid it?  

We improve that 40% of the season by the margin of a super star if we keep Asik, how much do with improve that 65 ish % of the time that replacement PF we might get by ?  odds are it won't be quite as much. 

2. The option to go stupid big:  There are going to be potential matchups where we could just put Howard + Asik and simply destroy them down low, those 2 aren't enough of a shooter or passer for that to work on a daily basis in most liklihood, but more and more now there are teams who play without a true 4 or even a true 5, taking advantage of that would be great. shots may not always fall from the outside, but smaller guys are never going to stop 2 huge guys down low. it's why the Heat, despite having almost twice the talent, came dangerously close to losing to the Pacers.   They almost always have 5 guys with range out there, you think Hibbert really goes out to guard any of them? 

3. The depth issue : this is somewhat connected to 1, but let's be clear here, the Rockets were the 8th seed team despite being probably the healthiest team in the entire league, you can not realistically expect that going forward. and once you start considering injury, it doesn't take a genius to see that we might survive awhile without Harden (the team was 2-2 without him this year.), we're never going to survive without Howard ...... UNLESS of course, Asik is there.

Center is the most irreplaceable position in basketball, everyone knows that, they're also the hardest to keep on the floor, everyone also knows that, if you add these 2 together, wouldn't that make backup C one of the most important position outside of the starters? and maybe even more than your 3rd/4th guys?

4.Most of the argument for a PF have been centered around their ability to space the floor, which is a purely offensive thing , my argument is, we had a revolving door for PF this year , scored the 2nd most points and were 6th in efficiency, you think scoring better really should be on our agenda? we'll score better next year, without a new PF, assuming mostly healthy team, that is almost without a doubt in my mind. But let's be real here, we can only improve so much offensively, our OrTG was 3 points less than the highest team. our DrTG was 7 from the best team, it doesn't take an economist to figure out which side to invest on gives you more bang for the buck.  and in reality, a great defensive team with no offensive is almost always better than the other way around in the playoff anyway.

Josh Smith might give us a lot of help on D, but the odds of Smith + Howard is rather low, if it's Milsap, looking at his on off stats for the Jazz this year, doesn't really bring that, the Jazz were a really lousy defensive team for one who's really front court dominant. they had a even worse DrTG than the Rockets. a good part of that is because Jefferson is really not a defensive C, but Millsap clearly didn't fill up that hole . and he's generally on the shorter end of PFs anyway.

The Jazz weren't able to grab enough boards (again, they're a front court team!) and they fouled so much you wonder if they were starting Greg Smith + Hasheem Thabeet.

Milsap will likely make our offense slightly better, but I really doubt he does much defensively.  Smith would be more ideal since he'd make our defense a lot better, but is rather unlikely to happen 

So your trading in the chance to turn 40% of the game from horrible to great defense for the chance to slightly increase the offense 60% of the game? that sounds like a bad trade off to me.

5. development: the trade Asik rout is more likely to suppress the playing time of our remaining young guys, that should be obvious. I think in all honestly, giving where we were at this year, and integration of a new major piece, title hope next year should be slim at best, realistic goal is to try and make the WCF, so, there's at least some remaining development going on, certainly amongst the starter but also of the reserve.  for all the talk of how depth matters less in the playoffs, the Spurs and Heat are both teams with huge depth, the Spurs especially, uses almost everyone in a series (well except T-Mac :P) . yes your more likely to run starters longer in the playoffs, but 4 rounds is still a lot of games, if the Pacers had a real bench they may have already won, etc... 

the keeping Asik route seems more likely to allow playing time for Dmo / TJones, if they can develop, it's a positive for the future either because we have great depth or because we have more flexibility. let's see, after next year, Asiks' trade value is still likely to be higher than Millsap anyway if you really need to, and in the present, if we're going to trade Asik and Sign Millsap, the window to do it is fairly limited, so I have some doubts that we'll be able to leverage it as well as some people assume.

At the end of the day though, all of these hinges on if Howard sign or not, and it's really Morey's decision, I'm sure he has taken all these into account (and far more., he's surely at least 50 steps ahead of our thinking ) so we'll see, I'm just laying out why it would at least make sense to keep Asik.

#23 Dan G

Dan G

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 247 posts
      • LocationEast Texas

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

Quite a long winded response from RW but it is hard to refute any of those points as all of them make quite a bit of sense.

:lol: All in the game, yo, :D all in the game :lol:!

#24 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,216 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

Just a few thoughts on RW's post:

1. Having one defensive center on the floor at all times would be huge for us during the regular season, but in the playoffs Dwight is likely to play more minutes leaving Asik with not very much. 

2. Remember the Asik + Greg Smith experiment in game 1 of the first round?--Failed miserably.

A Dwight + Asik experiment might be fantastic defensively, but offensively I see no reason why it wouldn't fail just as miserably as the last experiment. I understand we're talking about a small sample size, but you can look around and the results are the same. The Denver Nuggets looked terrible in the playoffs, and it was obvious their floor spacing had alot to do with that. No matter how hard you look, there hasn't been a single team in history that was successful in the playoffs playing a tandem of range-less bigs. 

3. I'm going to keep it short. I value insurance during the regular season, but I value it significantly less in the playoffs. You're not going to win a championship with insurance. There are better ways to spend 8.3 million. 

4. I agree, we should be looking more towards improving the defensive end rather than the offensive end, but like you said it's unlikely we can get both Dwight and Josh Smith. Anyway, my thoughts are that there is alot of room for optimism with our defense next season:

• We were a top 10 defense post the All-Star break, and playing Delfino less at the 4 had alot to do with this. With a solid starting PF, we can continue to do this.
      • Unlike Greg Smith, Terrence Jones gave us rim protection while Asik was out. He can do the same thing next season while Dwight is out. Keep in mind that in the playoffs, we only need him for 5-10 minutes backing up the 5 spot and I actually feel pretty comfortable with that.
      • Turnovers were a big reason our transition defense was so bad, and I don't see how playing an inexperienced PF like Jones/DMo would help in that regard. A veteran PF who doesn't turn the ball over, for example Millsap, would actually help. 

5. With T-Jones backing up the 5, 4, and maybe a little 3, I think he will still get enough time to develop. We should be able to get DMo some minutes too, and it will be beneficial if they have a veteran mentor like Millsap. Keep in mind that we can just sign Millsap to a 2 year deal with a 3rd year option which he might actually prefer.

#25 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 506 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

Just a few thoughts on RW's post:

1. Having one defensive center on the floor at all times would be huge for us during the regular season, but in the playoffs Dwight is likely to play more minutes leaving Asik with not very much. 

2. Remember the Asik + Greg Smith experiment in game 1 of the first round?--Failed miserably.

A Dwight + Asik experiment might be fantastic defensively, but offensively I see no reason why it wouldn't fail just as miserably as the last experiment. I understand we're talking about a small sample size, but you can look around and the results are the same. The Denver Nuggets looked terrible in the playoffs, and it was obvious their floor spacing had alot to do with that. No matter how hard you look, there hasn't been a single team in history that was successful in the playoffs playing a tandem of range-less bigs. 

3. I'm going to keep it short. I value insurance during the regular season, but I value it significantly less in the playoffs. You're not going to win a championship with insurance. There are better ways to spend 8.3 million. 

4. I agree, we should be looking more towards improving the defensive end rather than the offensive end, but like you said it's unlikely we can get both Dwight and Josh Smith. Anyway, my thoughts are that there is alot of room for optimism with our defense next season:

• We were a top 10 defense post the All-Star break, and playing Delfino less at the 4 had alot to do with this. With a solid starting PF, we can continue to do this.
        • Unlike Greg Smith, Terrence Jones gave us rim protection while Asik was out. He can do the same thing next season while Dwight is out. Keep in mind that in the playoffs, we only need him for 5-10 minutes backing up the 5 spot and I actually feel pretty comfortable with that.
        • Turnovers were a big reason our transition defense was so bad, and I don't see how playing an inexperienced PF like Jones/DMo would help in that regard. A veteran PF who doesn't turn the ball over, for example Millsap, would actually help. 

5. With T-Jones backing up the 5, 4, and maybe a little 3, I think he will still get enough time to develop. We should be able to get DMo some minutes too, and it will be beneficial if they have a veteran mentor like Millsap. Keep in mind that we can just sign Millsap to a 2 year deal with a 3rd year option which he might actually prefer.

My counter to your point is this.

1. Dwight Howard's days as a near 40 per playoff big may be over, and even not , there is the odds of him getting into foul trouble. you can not approach the playoff and say "hey man if Dwight gets 3 foul in the first quarter we give up the game"

2. Every minute counts in the playoff,  I think it's safe to say that if the Indiana starters, especially Hibbert and West, could play 48 effective min all 7 game, the Pacers would have advanced,  but they didn't did they?  my question remain, does Milsap significantly improve our starting 5's celing? I think it's rather limited, he brings some scoring but those points can be found in other positions anyway.  the #5 option in a offense is about as pointless as it gets. but one should really not underestimate the runs oppossing teams can go on against a bad defense set up, even for just a brief stretch.

3. The Nuggets scored the most points of any team in the league this year, you think this whole lack of spacing thing was really the reason ? that teams just let them free win in the regular season?  there is a deeper issue with Denver and I think in general it's that their home court tend to vastly magnify their regular season win regardless, it's like 10 free win right off the bat for them. but in a series where teams go in that court for so long, that effect starts to wear off. this is hardly the first year they under achieved in the playoffs, it happens every year , with all sorts of different teams. I think the Nuggets are a outlier to be sure, where the team matters little. as long as they have a decent one they'll win 50.

4. It may not work as a long term consistent lineup, doesn't mean it can't work for a 10 min stretch on a particular matchup, we were running Carlos Deflino out there at PF for a large part of the season, the Heat runs out weirdo lineup all the time even in the playoffs (granted, Lebron fixes a lot of things.)  at the end of the day,  if you say... run a high pick with say Asik, while Dwight is positioned on the other side of the paint, then Asik rolls behind as the last line insurance, you think that play can't work? or that it matters if Asik can hit a jumper in that play?  if they really REALLY collapse on the paint, the guard just throw it out to one of the 2 remaining guys outside anyway.  the fact that you have 2 huge C there probably force them to collapse with 4 if not all 5 guys anyway.

The thing with "clogging up the lane" is that it 's true for the other side as well, it means they're also committing a lot of guys down there.  basketball is mostly about exploiting mismatch, it's hard to see how clogging up lanes in itself doesn't inherently create a lot of those already.

But at the end of the day, it's Morey's and McHale's decision.

#26 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 548 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

I say we keep Asik, I understand the quandary of tying up so much money at one position. But, considering that money is for locking in two of the best at that position in the league, there also lies some value in the fact that two of the best centers in the league are NOT on any other team. I basically take on RollingWave's POV in that keeping a quality center on the floor for an entire game is a near impossibility for most teams. The drop off between quality of play between Asik and G.Smith was HUGE, and if we were to deal Asik, that same gap would exist with D12 at the position and the gain from signing D12 wouldn't be as big. Harken back to the days of how deadly the Yao/Deke combo was down low, we OWNED the paint... OWNED it for entire games. D12/Asik would be even more deadly. Because we had a quality backup, we were still competitive when Yao went down. If it doesn't work out after a year, then shop Asik, his value certainly won't decrease, but it's worth a stab.

#27 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 3,216 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

The problem with using Yao/Deke as a comparison is that Yao is a much, MUCH, better low post player than Dwight or Asik. Yao was a better passer out of double teams. On top of those two significant differences, Yao was not range-less by any means. 

57 wins with a starting front court of Koufos and Faried is the most success I've ever seen a range-less front court ever have, but they got horribly exposed in the playoffs. So unless our goal is being a perennial first round exit, I don't see this recipe being a model for success.

I can see the appeal in giving it a try, at least until the deadline which is almost 50 games into the season, I actually suggested that idea at one point. However, if we can get equal or better value in a trade where we get a guy who will be a 30+ minutes key rotation guy then I think that makes too much sense.

#28 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 506 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:10 AM

2016, here's another # for you to consider.

The Pacers, in this playoff, were a +6 team per 100 possession when Hibbert was on the floor.

When he was off the floor  .... they were..... -16.2 per 100 possession... that's not a typo.. he managed 36.5 min, but do you think you can really be at -16 for 12 min in a playoff game and expect to win it all?

#29 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,008 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:17 AM

The Pacers, in this playoff, were a +6 team per 100 possession when Hibbert was on the floor.

When he was off the floor .... they were..... -16.2 per 100 possession... that's not a typo.. he managed 36.5 min, but do you think you can really be at -16 for 12 min in a playoff game and expect to win it all?

What's worse is Greg Smiths -17 in 7 minutes cost the Rockets in their elimination game.

#30 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,596 posts
              • LocationAlabama

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:36 AM

Yes one game means everything

Why so Serious? :D

#31 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 3,216 posts
              • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:42 AM

When he was off the floor  .... they were..... -16.2 per 100 possession... that's not a typo.. he managed 36.5 min, but do you think you can really be at -16 for 12 min in a playoff game and expect to win it all?

I don't think your hypothetical applies to Dwight. Dwight has averaged as much as 43 minutes in a series (2011), and if you eliminate the minutes where he sat in garbage time that goes up to something like 46 minutes. 

If you don't think Dwight is capable of playing those kind of minutes in the playoffs anymore, I can understand that point of view, but I don't think anyone can say for sure whether he can or not. 

On top of that, the guy getting the minutes behind Hibbert was Hansbrough--a horrible defender especially at the 5. Without Asik, our back-up 5 would probably be Terrence Jones who I happen to think has potential to be an even better defender than Al Horford. 

#32 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 506 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:51 AM

I don't think you're making a fair comparison. Dwight has averaged as much as 43 minutes in a series (2011), and if you eliminating the minutes where he sat in garbage time that goes up to something like 46 minutes. 

If you don't think Dwight is capable of playing those kind of minutes in the playoffs anymore, I can understand that point of view, but I don't think anyone can say for sure whether he can or not.

is the 43 min the norm though? look around, it's just not, taking out the game he was ejected, he only passed 40 in 1 game this year, and he had 5 fouls in all 3 game (and was ejected in the other.)  it doesn't take a NBA coach to realize that if your main center is in foul trouble, he's going to be limited even if he was on the floor.

Take a closer look at Dwight's playoff games, almost half of them he either had 5 fouls or fouled out, they were puttnig him out there BECAUSE THEY HAD TO, because even a limited Dwight was better than random backup C in the league, but is a 5 foul Dwight better than a 2 foul Asik?

#33 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 3,216 posts
                • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:56 AM

I don't think it's fair judge him on such a small sample especially while he's not 100% healthy. Dr. Klapper said his back needed 9-12 months to fully heal, but Dwight came back several months earlier which would have delayed that healing process. 

You can say the norm for Dwight would be 38.8 minutes which is what he averaged for his playoff career, but if you eliminate garbage minutes it would be higher than that. 

#34 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 506 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:01 AM

Ok, let's use the year he ran all the way to the finals, we can agree that the odds of us getting that Dwight isn't high, and getting a BETTER Dwight is almost zero right?

In the 08-09 playoffs, he fouled out 4 out of 23 games, and had 5 fouls or more in 10 of them. and there were 5 games where he played under 40 min and it was very close (within 5.)

In the western conference, I can't imagine him being in foul trouble or foul out for nearly half of the games and we still really do something.

#35 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 3,216 posts
                  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:07 AM

and getting a BETTER Dwight is almost zero right?

What is the premise of this assumption..his surgery? 

You make a fine point with the foul trouble, but like I said on the other thread, I think Terrence Jones has potential to be an even better defender than Al Horford. If Dwight gets fouled out in 40 minutes, I'm not exactly in despair at the thought of a potentially Al Horford caliber defender playing 8 minutes at the 5. 

#36 Dan G

Dan G

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 247 posts
                  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:21 AM

What is the premise of this assumption..his surgery? 

You make a fine point with the foul trouble, but like I said on the other thread, I think Terrence Jones has potential to be an even better defender than Al Horford. If Dwight gets fouled out in 40 minutes, I'm not exactly in despair at the thought of a potentially Al Horford caliber defender playing 8 minutes at the 5. 

First off it would be hard to beat 20 ppg and 15 rpg that Howard had in the 08-09 playoff run and especially now that he is older with back issues, so that would be a pretty good assumption by RW IMO.

Secondly, if we are working on the premise that we get Howard, trade Asik, and Jones does indeed turn out to be a better defender than Al Horford (doubtful but I'll play along), wouldn't Jones be our starting PF and not our backup center? I guess he could still be a backup if we were to sign Paul Millsap but even so, I would till want Jones to be a starter over Millsap if his D is that good and Millsap could be our 6th man Carl Landry style. In that scenario we would still have backup C problems.

:lol: All in the game, yo, :D all in the game :lol:!

#37 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 3,216 posts
                  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

It's possible that Dwight is past his prime due to his injury, but to say there's zero chance otherwise seems very assumptive. I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert on back surgeries and their effects on NBA careers, but I have done a little research and I will share what I have learned. I know that Dwight was very smart to opt for the surgery straight away (unlike Larry Bird and T-Mac who opted to play through their back problems which made it much worse) and the procedure for back surgery has made huge advancements over the last several years. IMO we shouldn't make assumptions, the only way we will know for sure is if we wait and see. For whatever it's worth, Dwight's post All-Star break numbers were 19.7 points and 14.5 rebounds per 40 minutes--not bad for a guy past his prime. 

Secondly, it's possible for TJones to be our starting PF and our back-up center depending on how the minutes are rotated..

#38 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPip
                  • 506 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

I think i'll go out on a limb and say this, from 08 to 11, in that 3 season span, Howard played at a level that's basically MVP if Lebron James wasn't around.   so , to have a BETTER Dwight means that he's putting up a clearly MVP even with Lebron season. 

I think it's safe to say that is not a good idea to bet on for any single player. 

Jones might be enough, but there isn't a whole lot of sample size here, he's shown that he's probably an above average shot blocker in the league which would be nice.  what he hasn't shown (in college and pro) is the ability to be a dominant rebounder.

I like Jones a lot, among the guys we have right now I think he has the best odds of being a good starter.  he might not have the best ceiling because I can't see his offensive game being that much better than average. but I think he can basically be Josh Smith with a bit less flare and headache. Robinson might have the ability to be a special rebounded while Dmo has the best scoring upside, but Jones have enough of everything .

however, I think there' a difference between anchoring the middle than just being able to block shots sometimes. Jones' skill set would probably be best at the 4, his agility is clearly better than any serious 5 out there.  He's closer to Serge Ibaka than Roy Hibbert (defensively) that's for sure.

#39 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 3,216 posts
                    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

No matter how you twist it, Dwight's numbers were quite impressive the last 30 games of the season and I don't think he was even 100% yet. Call me crazy, but I wouldn't be shocked if a fully repaired Dwight in the Rockets system puts up 23 and 15. Keep in mind he ranked 9th at pick and roll finishing while Harden ranked 5th on pick and roll operating--there's going to be a whole new meaning to "Dwightmare". 

As for Jones, I have very little question about his defense. It's really incredible how well he moves for a guy who weights 252 lbs. My only question is whether or not he will make his man pay for doubling Dwight down low, otherwise he might find himself in a timeshare with a highly skilled 7 footer form Lithuania. 

#40 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,865 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

I'm going to say straight off the bat, I think option 3 feels like the obvious choice. However, I'm going to play Devil's advocate here, after some thought I think there is reason for discussion.

Throw Royce White into that T-Rob deal and the $19.6 million in cap room goes to $21.3 million. So after Dwight's signing we have a remainder of $700,000 which is unfortunately a little short of Greg Smith's $884,293 (assuming Dwight doesn't give a tiny discount). 

Assuming these calculations are correct, it gives us reason to trade Asik. Not only will we be able to keep Smith, but assuming we don't take any salary back in the trade, we will also have over 8 million to offer another free agent.

2.  We could have over 8 million to offer Paul Millsap. Paying MIllsap 8 million to play 30+ minutes makes more sense than paying Asik to play around 10 minutes (there will be games in the playoffs where Asik will play around 5 minutes). Paul Millsap made 6 out of 10 corner 3's this season, but because of sample size it's probably more significant that he made a 37 out of 72 (51%) of his corner long 2's. There is reason to believe Millsap could be a good corner 3 shooter if he just took a couple of steps back on all those long corner 2's. 

Dwight--Millsap--Parsons--Harden--Lin would be an extremely strong starting 5.

3. We can get more chances to find another Chandler Parsons caliber 2nd round steal. The Blazers are looking for a defensive center because they need to make the playoffs and make Aldridge happy before he hits free agency, and they have 3 second round picks to give up in addition to a future 1st. I think this draft will be deeper than alot of people realize, with guys like Glen Rice Jr. and skilled centers like Mike Muscala projected in the second round. With 4 second round picks and Morey's genius, we have a good chance of finding another incredible bargain or four. Not to mention that future 1st rounder will be in a really good draft, if injuries strike the Blazers that pick could be better than expected.

To be clear, I'm only discussing the scenario that we trade Asik on the premise that Dwight verbally commits to Harden and Parsons. If that's not good enough, then we can wait till July 1st when Dwight is free to talk to Morey.
                      The Rockets would be absolutely ridiculously stupid to make any significant moves until they know the outcome of the D12 sweepstakes. Are you kidding me? A verbal commitment from D12? That strategy will surely result in disaster!

Secondly, holding out for top value for Asik after the D12 sweepstakes and assuming D12 signs with the Rockets: Very unrealistic in my opinion. Now, if the league were full of stupid GM's, then maybe the Rockets could maximize Asik's value. If D12 signs with the Rockets, Asik's value automatically diminishes.

However, if the Rockets do win the D12 sweepstakes, they gotta get whatever they can get for Asik and use that cap space more wisely. Would it be for Millsap? That would be one intriguing choice.

Lastly, if the Rockets do win the D12 sweepstakes, unless an unexpected deal surfaces for Asik before the season, I would expect the Rockets to hang on to Asik until the Trade Deadline in February 2014.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users