Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  YaoMan : (23 October 2015 - 04:49 PM) Zach Lowe seems to think the Rox are the biggest threat to GSW: http://grantland.com...-16-nba-season/
@  cointurtlemoose : (23 October 2015 - 04:36 PM) Hey if yall want a good podcast to listen to, find the Dunc'd On Basketball Podcast on Itunes, Rahat just did a Rockets preview with the host.
@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash

Photo

[POLL] Our biggest need to upgrade

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Poll: You can choose more than one. Votes are public. (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Our biggest need to upgrade?

1. PG (5 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. SG (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. SF (0 votes [0.00%])

4. PF (20 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

5. C (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Coach (4 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

7. Other (11 votes [27.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

(to be read with full level of sarcasm)  I apologize for using DraftExpress.com as a legitimate source.  I should definitely prioritize that article you posted to support your stance--very scientific. (end sarcasm)

I may be many things, but naive isn't one of them--if it were I would have actually considered your source as something valid.  Maybe KD has had a growth spurt since he was drafted (he was still young enough), but if you're going to correct me in such a fashion at least post support that has some level of credibility.

tumblr_m4vbj4FBUF1qgubr4.gif

#42 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

I'm glad you agree :)

#43 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

I thought you were being a bit dramatic so I didn't really want to fan any flames, but if you're calm now I request a side-bar. 

“Probably 6-11,” said backup point guard Reggie Jackson, who is a legitimate 6-foot-3. “I don’t want to boost his ego too much. He’s not 6-9. I’ll say 6-10 1/2, in shorts.”

In shorts? Huh?

Reserve guard Eric Maynor was the only Thunder to peg Durant at 7-foot, then he looked over at 7-foot-3 center Hasheem Thabeet and said of Durant’s mysterious height, “7-3?”

“Six-10,” Thabeet said. “He’s not as tall as me.”

Center Kendrick Perkins looked over at Durant, who was listening to music through his headphones a few stalls down, smiled and said, “6-11,” which would put Durant an inch above Perk’s scowl when face-to-face.

Russell Westbrook agreed with Thabeet: 6-10.

“Six-10,” Brooks said, hardly convincingly. “Ish.”

What is it about Durant's team mates opinions that isn't admissible in this "NBA court-room"? (get it? because you're always so lawyer-like?  :lol: )

#44 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

You're cracking me up.  I'm cool as a cucumber B)

Perhaps if any of them used to work at a carnival prior to their NBA careers...you know, the guys that can guess your height and weight...I would believe that.

That article is a joke.  They are all just having a laugh, goofing off, and guessing.  Funny enough, the only player you didn't quote was Durant himself.  His response: "6' 9".

Here are more credible links that list his height:

ESPN - 6' 9"

Basketball Reference - 6' 9"

NBA.com - 6' 9"

teamrankings.com - 6' 9"

Those, plus draft express are enough for me to go ahead and leave it at 6' 9".  More importantly, it really doesn't matter--I was just correcting what I perceived as a simple mistake.

#45 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

I thought you were being a bit dramatic so I didn't really want to fan any flames, but if you're calm now I request a side-bar. 

What is it about Durant's team mates opinions that isn't admissible in JD's court? 

a sidebar? ..... :lol:  :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#46 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

#47 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

How many times have you heard or read that a basketball player is listed at, say, 6 feet 8 inches but that he is really closer to 6-6? Do you ever wonder how something as objective as height can be in doubt, especially for elite players?

“They lie,” said Charles Barkley, a basketball commentator for TNT. “I’ve been measured at 6-5, 6-4 ¾. But I started in college at 6-6.”

Even the N.B.A. lies, apparently. According to Barkley’s biography on NBA.com, he is 6-6.

High school coaches are the first perpetrators, trying to give their players a recruiting edge.

“College coaches pay a hell of a lot better attention when a guy is 6 feet instead of 5-11,” said Chris Ekstrand, a consultant to the N.B.A. who was the longtime editor of its draft guide. “And if you have a 6-7 wunderkind rebounder, you list him at 6-8 to get Division I scouts to notice.”

Six feet is a touchstone for guards, as 6-8 is for rebounders. But the second number may be heading downward as rules have softened physical play and helped forwards like Shawn Marion, who is listed at 6-7 but is probably more like 6-5 or 6-6, become imposing rebounders.

The truth about players’ heights is revealed before they turn professional. For the N.B.A., that moment may come at the predraft camp in Orlando, Fla.; the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament, a showcase for college players in Virginia; or in teams’ private workouts.

At Portsmouth, Ryan Blake, the N.B.A.’s assistant director of scouting, places a hardcover book on each player’s head before measuring him.

He measures players in stocking feet and in shoes because soles vary. These vital statistics, as well as wingspan, vertical reach and vertical leap, are made available to pro scouts. But some players resist Blake’s regimen.

“A little guy came in, he was from Fordham or somewhere, listed at 5-8,” Blake said. “He left and came back with some Timberland boots and about four pairs of socks. We didn’t let him get measured.”

Teams will have no doubt about heights when they make their choices at Thursday’s N.B.A. draft. But the league may never again be so precise, even in official publications like game programs. Once a player is known to be 6-8, he does not want to admit being 6-6. So-called program heights travel with players like good-luck charms, and many club and league officials do not push for accuracy. Neither do journalists.

Sam Smith, a longtime N.B.A. writer who recently retired from The Chicago Tribune, said: “We sort of know the heights, because after camp, the sheet comes out. But you use that height, and the player gets mad. And then you hear from his agent. Or you file your story with the right height, and the copy desk changes it because they have the ‘official’ N.B.A. media guide, which is wrong. So you sort of go along with the joke.”

--LINK 

And here's A Historical Look at the NBA Pre-Draft Measurements

#48 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

I am aware of this.  You may recall the long discussion about Dennis Rodman we had a while back.  Unfortunately for you, this does nothing to support your notion as the article is talking about players exaggerating their heights, not diminishing them.  Got anything else?

#49 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:23 AM

So if this is a court-case and you're the lawyer, who's the judge? Do you play that role too? :P

#50 manmythlegend

manmythlegend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:07 AM

I believe Draft Express uses the measurements from the NBA Draft Combine. Durant measured 6'9 without shoes at the time. With shoes he's 6'10ish. So depending on whether you count shoes or no shoes, you are both right.

Interesting note: Dwight Howard also measured 6'9 without shoes at the Draft Combine. He was only 18 then so it's entirely plausible that he gained a couple inches since. He also makes up for whatever lack of height at center with his wingspan and, at the moment, freakish hops.

#51 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:19 AM

Yep, it definitely plausible that Durant grew. And I've seen him stand beside Lebron and Gallinari who are both 6'9 and Durant is clearly taller. Next time he stands next to Ibaka just take a good look, they are practically the same height. 

#52 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:24 AM

I don't know what you guys think about judging off a group photo like this but take a look anyway:

rtrlfive353448.jpg

I'm not judging off this photo alone, but I've seen enough, if Durant is 6'9 then I'm Santa Claus. 

#53 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,008 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:27 AM

I don't know what you guys think about judging off a group photo like this but take a look anyway:

rtrlfive353448.jpg

I'm not judging off this photo alone, but I've seen enough, if Durant is 6'9 then I'm Santa Claus.

When you changing your avatar?

#54 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,216 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:43 AM

When I'm 100% sure Kevin Love will never put on a Rockets uniform. Imagine we trade Asik and Lin for Love before the trade deadline and this becomes our starting line-up.

Dwight

Love

Parsons

Harden

Beverley

All the stars need to align in order for this to happen, but a man can dream right? 

#55 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,125 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:04 AM

When I'm 100% sure Kevin Love will never put on a Rockets uniform. Imagine we trade Asik and Lin for Love before the trade deadline and this becomes our starting line-up.

Dwight

Love

Parsons

Harden

Beverley

All the stars need to align in order for this to happen, but a man can dream right? 

no no no.....he means to santa claus :lol:  :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#56 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,216 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:22 AM

lol 

#57 PKM

PKM

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 124 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

I put "other' in the form of "we just need more talent."  Houston currently just doesn't have enough talent to compete, and so we need to get more of it, another All-Star.  He can even be a SG, as far as I care.

#58 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,008 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

no no no.....he means to santa claus :lol: :lol:

Exactly.

#59 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,008 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

I put "other' in the form of "we just need more talent." Houston currently just doesn't have enough talent to compete, and so we need to get more of it, another All-Star. He can even be a SG, as far as I care.

I agree.

#60 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
            • 4,137 posts
            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

Yep, it definitely plausible that Durant grew. And I've seen him stand beside Lebron and Gallinari who are both 6'9 and Durant is clearly taller. Next time he stands next to Ibaka just take a good look, they are practically the same height. 

Lebron is 6' 7.25" according to draft express :P

And anyone can be judge--they can look at the evidence and decide for themselves.  I was willing to concede he may be taller than listed--but that article you posted was not what I would call "convincing".

For what it's worth, Kevin Love is listed at 6' 7.75" (the two guys standing next to Durant in the pic you posted.)

As for the Dwight, Love, Parsons, Harden, Beverley dream....that would be quite the starting line-up.  That would make us immediate contenders.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users