Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

[POLL] Our biggest need to upgrade

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Poll: You can choose more than one. Votes are public. (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Our biggest need to upgrade?

1. PG (5 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. SG (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. SF (0 votes [0.00%])

4. PF (20 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

5. C (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Coach (4 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

7. Other (11 votes [27.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

PER doesn't tell the whole story.

Javale McGee's 20.78
    Andray Blatche 21.98
    Brandan Wright 21.03
    John Henson 18.30
    Ramon Sessions 17.80
    Marreese Speights 17.35

It shows all those guys are good backups

#22 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like Terrence Jones too, but early in the season Greg Smith had a PER of 20.5 before it dropped down to 15.9. TJones only played 276 minutes in 19 games so you so you have take his PER with a grain of salt. I do think he's a good back-up, I'm just not sure if he's ready to start on a championship team yet. 

#23 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,008 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like Terrence Jones too, but early in the season Greg Smith had a PER of 20.5 before it dropped down to 15.9. TJones only played 276 minutes in 19 games so you so you have take his PER with a grain of salt. I do think he's a good back-up, I'm just not sure if he's ready to start on a championship team yet.

Starting is one thing, but I see him playing 30+ minutes a night. Playoffs is showing you have to go big in order to win. Small ball might work in the regular season, but come playoffs you need to be able to have a postman who can score from the block. Miami is a league by themselves because they have 3 of the top 10 players in the NBA. Starting to think a starting C who has a offense game other the pick and roll might be the biggest need.

#24 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,216 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

I do think it's important to have a center who defends and rebounds well, but otherside of that I think big line-ups are becoming overrated because of how the league is evolving. 

I think the Heat proved that small ball teams can win championships. Daryl Morey has also made comments that express his belief in the small ball line-up. 

Morey has correctly noted that small-ball lineups tend to improve a team's offense and hurt the defense, though the gains on offense typically outweigh the vulnerabilities on D. He sees the league evolving to a point where the curveball and fastball can switch places. "It's just math," he says. "There are a larger supply of good players who are shorter, and getting more of those guys on the floor just works." Morey admits the game slows down in the postseason as defense becomes more important, but he's convinced small ball could succeed in that environment.

#25 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,125 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

I do think it's important to have a center who defends and rebounds well, but otherside of that I think big line-ups are becoming overrated because of how the league is evolving. 

I think the Heat proved that small ball teams can win championships. Daryl Morey has also made comments that express his belief in the small ball line-up. 

sure small ball can win if you have superior talent among the players involved. however I don't think it's so much that these lineup are more effective as the fact that you must have talented players.........talent wins championships. if the talent is good enough it doesn't matter how it's constructed, it will be superior. if the chemistry is present whether it's small ball of 2 bigs post offense it's going to be a force because of the overall talent. if you look at past champions there have been all kinds of teams constructed who won championships and they all have one thing in common............talent

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#26 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,008 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

When it's Roy Hibbert vs Tim Duncan in the finals it won't be overrated or becoming obsolete. Miami is a once in a millennium type team.

#27 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,137 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

You guys are saying the same thing--I think.  Morey is favoring small-ball because that's where the majority of talent is at.  If there were tons of skilled, athletic bigs out there he'd be chasing them (ahem-Dwight-ahem). 

#28 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,216 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

Yeah, I agree with everything being said. Talented big men is the preference if they are available, but big or small, as long as you have talent you have a chance to win.

#29 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

2016 we are not saying the same thing.....this is your statement

my statement says talent is the over riding factor.....I don't think big lineups are becoming overrated. whether your lineup is big or small... talent is the one factor that will decide if you win or not. 

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#30 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,216 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:32 PM

Then I'll rephrase. Instead of saying big line-ups are overrated, I will simply say that it's very possible to win a championship playing small-ball given adequate talent. 

#31 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,137 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:35 AM

This has got me to thinking a bit....I'm not meaning to be contrary, but perhaps this "small-ball" thing isn't exactly what we think it is.  True, there are no Roy Hibbert-sized people on the court for Miami, but looking at last year's Miami roster it is interesting to note the height of the players who contributed significant minutes.  Here is the LINK.

For those who don't like clicking, here are the numbers:

Lebron James    (6'8")   42.7 minutes
        Dwyane Wade    (6'4")   39.4
        Chris Bosh         (6'10") 31.4
        Mario Chalmers  (6'1")   35.6
        Shane Battier     (6'8")   33.4
        Mike Miller          (6'8")   16.0
        Udonis Haslem   (6'8")   20.5
        Joel Anthony      (6'9")   19.4
        James Jones      (6'8")     8.7
        Ronny Turiaf      (6'10")  10.1
        Norris Cole         (6'2")     8.9

Of their 11 rotation players only 3 are shorter than 6'8"--Wade, Cole, and Chalmers.  Again, there is no 7' Dirk at the 4.  There is no Shaq at center.  Still, it's not like they're playing with Muggsy Bogues, Spud Webb, and Nate Robinson :lol: .

What I am gleaning from this is that, for Miami, small-ball isn't so small.  This is especially true when you consider the athleticism of the guys we're talking about.  Lebron, Wade, and Bosh are all unique specimens.  Sure, compared to the championship Lakers from a few years ago that sported three 7 footers they are small, but I'm guessing that if you took the average height of each team's starting line-up this season you'd find it isn't that big of a disparity.

This is why the Pacers are the Heat's worst nightmare--they are nearly as athletic and bigger almost across the board.  The small ball advantage comes from speed, athleticism, and high% outside shooting; however, it is easily trumped by the same traits in another team plus a height advantage.  Barkley and Co. spoke about it last night.  If the Heat are going to win Lebron (the only real advantage the Heat have) must play at a "Hero" level (basically triple doubles with 30+ points).  He is the talent difference.  The key to making small-ball work in the playoffs.  If the Heat advance it will be on the back of Mr. James and it may wind up being one of his greatest series ever to make it happen.

Crap, I just realized I wrote this using last year's roster vs. this year's Pacers...OK, the main changes are Chris Anderson, Rashard Lewis, and Ray Allen are in while Ronny Turiaf is out.  Hmmm, they actually got bigger with that.  OK, my point stands.  Small ball has much less to do with size than it does style.  In reality, we're not seeing anything all that different from the Jordan-Pippen-Kukoc Bulls teams.  By putting more players with guard-like skills on the floor you gain an advantage over most teams with less skilled players....oh, and it helps to have the best player in the game to make the whole thing work.

OK, go ahead guys....let's hear some feedback B)

NOTE: I initially used last year's Miami roster because they won the title and this year's team has yet to achieve that.

#32 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,216 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:46 AM

If you're playing a 4 at the 5, and/or a 3 at the 4, essentially that's what I think is perceived as going small.

#33 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,137 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:05 AM

I get that.  Still, I think it becomes somewhat misleading and moot to call it "small" when it's not that small.  I think when the Rockets were trucking out Bev, Harden, Deflino, parsons, and smith--that's small!

#34 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,216 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:22 AM

I don't think height defines whether or not a line-up is large or small. For example Durant is around 6'11 and many people would regard him at the 4 as going small. Ben Wallace was 6'7 but no one defined him playing center as going small. Charles Barkley was 6'6. I could go on for days...

#35 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:34 AM

I get that.  Still, I think it becomes somewhat misleading and moot to call it "small" when it's not that small.  I think when the Rockets were trucking out Bev, Harden, Deflino, parsons, and smith--that's small!

I'm more in tune with you on this one. I think Miami's advantage is LeBron....not the fact of what position he plays as much as his overall talent and ability to affect the game causing teams to matchup to Miami trying to stop him

#36 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,216 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:52 AM

I agree with the tone of what RBF is saying too, having players who play big at their position can compensate for smallness at another position. Lebron brings better rebounding and rim protection from the 3 spot than your typical 3, and the same thing could be said about what Wade brings at the 2 despite his height. 

I think it's also possible for centers to play bigger than the typical center, and that's why Houston often got away with Delfino at the 4 (Asik rebounds and defends better than most centers in the league). Another example is how GSW flourished with Harrison Barnes at the 4 which wouldn't have worked if not for Bogut.  

#37 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,008 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

Teams play small out of necessity. GS didn't want to play Barnes at the 4, they had too because David Lee tore his hip flexor. The second he was able to walk up and down the court that played him. San Antonio vs Indiana will show that you need man in the post in order to win the championship. And honestly that's all that matters. Only one team is truely satisfied with their season, the one who meets Czar Stern center court after their last game.

#38 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,137 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

Yeah, I think the general point I'm making is that it's about increasing your skill level at as many positions as possible to try and gain an advantage over size mismatches.  I think the trick to doing it successfully is having really big guys to do that with and/or having the best player in the game.

Durant, at 6' 9", brings incredible skill to the 4 when he plays there--and that huge body!

The Bulls of the 2nd three-peat weren't huge, but they weren't small.  They generally kept a 7 footer on the court for 2/3 of the game and then surrounded him with 4 players all with guard caliber skills (except for Rodman--he held a specific role).  Harper, Pippen, Kukoc, and Jordan were the core of that team.  Pippen is 6' 8", Kukoc is 6' 10", Harper is 6' 6", and Jordan was 6' 6"--that's a lot of skill and a lot of height.  If they switch the center out for Rodman (6' 7") they are literally going small, but again, not by much--they still average 6' 8" as a team.

I mean, if we're taking the definition of small ball as moving players down a position then that last Lakers championship team is a small ball team.  They had Gasol (a center) playing PF and Odom (a PF) playing SF.  Three 7 footers at once (2 highly skilled)--ridiculous.  (Just checked draft express...apparently Odom is only 6' 10"...only)

Without belaboring this point too much--what I am taking away from this is that size still matters and "small-ball" is a misnomer.  They would be better served calling it their "Skill Set" or the "Shooting Gallery"...Yeah, those are terrible names..."small-ball" is just so catchy. :P   Also, if you don't have one of the top players in the game it still doesn't matter (mostly).  Big/Small--if you don't have one of the big names odds are you're going home empty handed.

#39 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 3,216 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

You're very naive if you honestly believe he's 6-9. At the very least he's 6-10.

http://hangtime.blog...nt-is-how-tall/

#40 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,137 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

(to be read with full level of sarcasm)  I apologize for using DraftExpress.com as a legitimate source.  I should definitely prioritize that article you posted to support your stance--very scientific. (end sarcasm)

I may be many things, but naive isn't one of them--if it were I would have actually considered your source as something valid.  Maybe KD has had a growth spurt since he was drafted (he was still young enough), but if you're going to correct me in such a fashion at least post support that has some level of credibility.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users