Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

[POLL] Our biggest need to upgrade

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Poll: You can choose more than one. Votes are public. (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Our biggest need to upgrade?

1. PG (5 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. SG (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. SF (0 votes [0.00%])

4. PF (20 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

5. C (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Coach (4 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

7. Other (11 votes [27.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

If you choose more than one, explain why. 

#2 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

I chose "other", my selection is backup C, and after that backup SG.

#3 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

I agree with back-up C, but I think Lin can be our back-up SG--this will also give Beverley more minutes so that's like two birds with one stone. 

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

I voted for PF and Other.  I'd love for one of the PF's we already have to step up and be the player we need at that position, but I think they are more than a year away from that.  I guess we can bide our time....this is part of why signing an amnestied Pau Gasol would be such a great deal for us.

As for other, I agree with the back-up center (although, Greg Smith has my hopes up that he can become that guy.) 

I like the idea of mixing our guards up and just letting them play.  All three can handle the ball and initiate the offense (Bev needs some work on this, but I have faith he can do it just fine).  Plus, I still like James Anderson...I really want him to "figure it out" because he can do a lot of things on the court.

#5 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

I voted PG. I don't view lin as a foundational piece. that position needs to be upgraded. I didn't vote for it, but backup center is a concern. I know most will label PF as the position in most need of upgrade. however I believe one of our young PF's will step up to fill the void.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#6 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:16 AM

Depends on how much the players at the 4 improve. Budiger, parsons, and Patterson all improved the next season. I definitely think the bench has to get deeper in 2 or 3 positions.

#7 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
    • 1,577 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:21 AM

RBF and I are on the same page.  I believe Lin will be the weak link coming into next season, and that although PF may have been the biggest concern this season, one of our young guys will fill that hole.  Back up Center is a need as well, but that is likely to be worked out depending on the Howard situation, or some type of FA acquisition.

#8 Hockey the Harden Way

Hockey the Harden Way

• Members
      • Pip
      • 41 posts
      • LocationGlendale, Arizona

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:45 AM

I voted for PF and Coach.....  The PF situation is self-explanatory, we need a post presence and big to take the defensive and rebounding load off of Omer Asik.....  It will also make Asik more effective late in games and spare him foul trouble.

Coach McHale doesn't see matchups well, doesn't expand the bench to relieve winded players, and has no real half-court sets....  This becomes sorely obvious when you watch a team like the San Antonio Spurs play.  McHale also does not play to players' strengths.  Jeremy Lin is not a spot shooter (and making him one would waste his talents), James Harden is not a consistent ISO player (his ISO game relies too much on drawing fouls- when not called, he gets a lot of turnovers), and players tend to stand around away from the ball. In regard to matchups, for example, we'll have trouble defending the wing three with Parsons on the bench, only because McHale doesn't realize Francisco Garcia would be the ideal matchup.  Playing Carlos Delfino at the 4 or 5 is another example.  (I like Delfino, but not as a 4 or 5.)  And finally, I don't like McHale's benching tactics.  Good coaches bench players for lack of effort, not because they have a bad shooting night.

#9 Hockey the Harden Way

Hockey the Harden Way

• Members
      • Pip
      • 41 posts
      • LocationGlendale, Arizona

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

RBF and I are on the same page.  I believe Lin will be the weak link coming into next season, and that although PF may have been the biggest concern this season, one of our young guys will fill that hole.  Back up Center is a need as well, but that is likely to be worked out depending on the Howard situation, or some type of FA acquisition.

Looking at the Knicks boards, the fans are longing to get Lin back.....  Since Rox fans mostly want Lin gone, I think the fans from both teams might agree to trading Lin for Ray Felton straight up...........  Although I think Felton would have the same problem on the Rox that Lin has had.  I also think Lin is a far better defender.

Under McHale, if the Rox do move Lin, they will need a PG that can consistently shoot the three from the spot (after defenders are drawn in by Harden or Parsons).  The problem is because the team does not set a lot of screens, the Rox would need a PG who can also create his own shot.  But in a different style from how Harden creates his own shots.  (If only Aaron Brooks were a better defender..... )

#10 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,125 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

Looking at the Knicks boards, the fans are longing to get Lin back.....  Since Rox fans mostly want Lin gone, I think the fans from both teams might agree to trading Lin for Ray Felton straight up...........  Although I think Felton would have the same problem on the Rox that Lin has had.  I also think Lin is a far better defender.

Under McHale, if the Rox do move Lin, they will need a PG that can consistently shoot the three from the spot (after defenders are drawn in by Harden or Parsons).  The problem is because the team does not set a lot of screens, the Rox would need a PG who can also create his own shot.  But in a different style from how Harden creates his own shots.  (If only Aaron Brooks were a better defender..... )

I wouldn't touch felton with welder's gloves on :lol: I do want lin gone, but felton.....I don't think so.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,137 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

I wouldn't touch felton with welder's gloves on :lol: I do want lin gone, but felton.....I don't think so.

100% agree.  I'll pass on Felton.  Besides, the Knicks wouldn't take Lin back with his current contract--that's why they let him walk in the first place.  Given said contract, I don't think the Rockets can realistically move Lin until the 2015 trade deadline when it can be viewed as an expiring deal to clear cap space.  To me this is good news as I still see a player that can, and will, develop into the complimentary backcourt piece next to Harden.

I'm highly optimistic about our roster and believe that even without any significant upgrades we will compete for a top 4 seed next season--barring injuries.

Does anyone still think that OJ Mayo is an option worth looking at--presuming Dwight and CP3 aren't coming in?  He's a pretty solid 3 pt. shooter (especially from the right side) and finishes at the rim at a respectable clip....in our offense his skillset should be enhanced.  I know his defense and focus have question marks, but playing alongside Harden he would be a nice offensive compliment.  Looking at his defensive numbers from mysynergysports.com, He seems to suffer from the same problem as Harden--closing out on spot up shooters.  According to their stats, 40% of the shots made against him are of that type and he surrenders 1.08 ppp on them.  Everything else looks ok.

#12 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 548 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

Seeing as how our coach is one of the best PFs of all time, I don't think he's able to impose his will or wisdom on our young PFs (Jones, Robinson) the way he'd want to. He's too hobbled to set the examples himself on the practice floor. I think it's imperative we find an elite, if not serviceable, veteran option at PF. If for no other reason than for McHale to be able to impose his will at the position, which he's been unable to do at this point. This vet would allow TJ and TR to progress in leaps and bounds. Again, this player doesn't have top notch, but should be a veteran.

I'm fine with our guard gumbo as it stands now,including Anderson, I think we have a lot of flexibility there which we should keep. We should give Lin at least one more season before shopping him. I'm also OK with Smith at backup C. We also have a young Olbrecht who has all of the physical tools to be decent at C, give him a summer league and training camp and see how he fares.

Morey should land us a star, but if not PF needs the most help.

#13 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

100% agree.  I'll pass on Felton.  Besides, the Knicks wouldn't take Lin back with his current contract--that's why they let him walk in the first place.  Given said contract, I don't think the Rockets can realistically move Lin until the 2015 trade deadline when it can be viewed as an expiring deal to clear cap space.  To me this is good news as I still see a player that can, and will, develop into the complimentary backcourt piece next to Harden.

I'm highly optimistic about our roster and believe that even without any significant upgrades we will compete for a top 4 seed next season--barring injuries.

Does anyone still think that OJ Mayo is an option worth looking at--presuming Dwight and CP3 aren't coming in?  He's a pretty solid 3 pt. shooter (especially from the right side) and finishes at the rim at a respectable clip....in our offense his skillset should be enhanced.  I know his defense and focus have question marks, but playing alongside Harden he would be a nice offensive compliment.  Looking at his defensive numbers from mysynergysports.com, He seems to suffer from the same problem as Harden--closing out on spot up shooters.  According to their stats, 40% of the shots made against him are of that type and he surrenders 1.08 ppp on them.  Everything else looks ok.

I know we disagree on lin so I won't bring that up right now :lol: however on mayo........I think I have changed my mind on him. his immaturity in dallas this year is a red flag IMO. he started the year off focused and on fire, but when dirk returned and his shot count dropped he became the same problem player I saw in Memphis. his attitude stunk and his play reflected it. if we were sure we could get the player that started the year I would be all for it, but at the price he will command I no longer believe he is worth the risk.

#14 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,125 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

Seeing as how our coach is one of the best PFs of all time, I don't think he's able to impose his will or wisdom on our young PFs (Jones, Robinson) the way he'd want to. He's too hobbled to set the examples himself on the practice floor. I think it's imperative we find an elite, if not serviceable, veteran option at PF. If for no other reason than for McHale to be able to impose his will at the position, which he's been unable to do at this point. This vet would allow TJ and TR to progress in leaps and bounds. Again, this player doesn't have top notch, but should be a veteran.

I'm fine with our guard gumbo as it stands now,including Anderson, I think we have a lot of flexibility there which we should keep. We should give Lin at least one more season before shopping him. I'm also OK with Smith at backup C. We also have a young Olbrecht who has all of the physical tools to be decent at C, give him a summer league and training camp and see how he fares.

Morey should land us a star, but if not PF needs the most help.

I disagree. I think our stable of young PF's are maturing just fine under McHale....dang you made me give McHale some credit :lol: however the guards need the upgrade (IMO). I like Anderson, but if I don't start seeing that player I saw in san Antonio he should be moved or cut. both harden and bev are fine, but lin......well there isn't much to be desired

#15 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,137 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

I didn't see Mayo play hardly at all this year so I am going off of his statistics and how I remember him playing in Memphis.  I liked the look of his 40.7% 3pt. shooting (his 5 year avg. is 38.2%) and I think he can drive and dish as well.  You are right though--if he's got an attitude problem then forget about it.

#16 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
        • 1,577 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

No thanks on Felton.  Not sure that there are any available options for PG to be had at this time(other than CP3 which I don't really see as available anyway).  I like Devin Harris, but don't see him as much of an improvement, and don't think there's a chance for ATL to take on Lin unless we make a sign and trade for Smith and then pursue Harris in FA.  Even then, PG would still probably be the weak link.

As for Mayo, if we can get Lin to come off the bench I could see a Mayo Harden backcourt being pretty lethal.  Lin could be the spark of a second unit which plays to his strengths as allows him to be the primary ball handler.  

I do not see Smith as a capable back up C unless he makes strides this offseason.  He came out to play at the beginning of last year, but eventually fell off and never returned to form.  Olbrecht has some promise, but if he isn't ready we can find a veteran FA easily enough.

#17 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,125 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

No thanks on Felton.  Not sure that there are any available options for PG to be had at this time(other than CP3 which I don't really see as available anyway).  I like Devin Harris, but don't see him as much of an improvement, and don't think there's a chance for ATL to take on Lin unless we make a sign and trade for Smith and then pursue Harris in FA.  Even then, PG would still probably be the weak link.

As for Mayo, if we can get Lin to come off the bench I could see a Mayo Harden backcourt being pretty lethal.  Lin could be the spark of a second unit which plays to his strengths as allows him to be the primary ball handler.  

I do not see Smith as a capable back up C unless he makes strides this offseason.  He came out to play at the beginning of last year, but eventually fell off and never returned to form.  Olbrecht has some promise, but if he isn't ready we can find a veteran FA easily enough.

got to agree with you on backup center. smith isn't the answer. however as for mayo....while the talent is there the attitude isn't....I'll pass

#18 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,008 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:01 AM

I voted for McHale, PG, and other. Backup C is a must. PF is solidified if a coach would actually play the PF with a 17.11 PER. If Beverly starts that is a big enough upgrade for me at PG.

#19 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 3,216 posts
            • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:39 AM

PER doesn't tell the whole story.

Javale McGee's 20.78

Andray Blatche 21.98

Brandan Wright 21.03

John Henson 18.30

Ramon Sessions 17.80

Marreese Speights 17.35

#20 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,125 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:59 AM

I voted for McHale, PG, and other. Backup C is a must. PF is solidified if a coach would actually play the PF with a 17.11 PER. If Beverly starts that is a big enough upgrade for me at PG.

I would have voted for McHale but I have bashed him so bad on these threads that no need to extend that here :lol:  besides during this playoff run he did display some improvement. I would say I went from a guilty verdict to a the jury's still out kind of view at this point.

as for PG and backup C gotta agree!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users