Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Who can be had at the $8-$9mill price range?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#81 manmythlegend

manmythlegend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

Don't underestimate the fact that he'll be a 13 year veteran at the end of year 4 of his next contract. Numerically he may be 31, but wear and tear-wise he'll be closer to 34. The sample size of straight out of HS big men is small, but most peaked in years 4-8 and declined in production and games played by years 10-12. Just look at Amare Stoudemire as a cautionary tale. In general, big men, like blondes, just don't age gracefully, and when they start to break down physically, they don't stop.

As far as the money issue, all I can say is if Howard has good financial advisors, they'll figure out a way for him to keep a lot of his money. Plus don't discount the money he would earn in endorsement opportunities in LA, which would easily make up for whatever state income tax savings he would benefit from in Houston.

#82 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

Hmm L.A. and NY are obviously the cream of the crop market wise, but Houston is a top 5 market too so I can't help but wonder what the difference in endorsement opportunities would measure up to. And I say this with our growing worldwide popularity in mind along with Dwight's international fan base in mind, I don't think there will be a shortage of Dwight Howard's photos on billboards and on the sides of buses in China if he comes to Houston. 

0022190dec450fd023680a.jpg

#83 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,125 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

Don't underestimate the fact that he'll be a 13 year veteran at the end of year 4 of his next contract. Numerically he may be 31, but wear and tear-wise he'll be closer to 34. The sample size of straight out of HS big men is small, but most peaked in years 4-8 and declined in production and games played by years 10-12. Just look at Amare Stoudemire as a cautionary tale. In general, big men, like blondes, just don't age gracefully, and when they start to break down physically, they don't stop.

As far as the money issue, all I can say is if Howard has good financial advisors, they'll figure out a way for him to keep a lot of his money. Plus don't discount the money he would earn in endorsement opportunities in LA, which would easily make up for whatever state income tax savings he would benefit from in Houston.

I'm not worried about howard being 31.....we may have a championship by then with him......will that have been worth it? big men usually last longer than wing players and it's not like there are a flood of centers waiting to snatch the crown away. howard will probably be among the best at his position for at least 8 more years. as long as the knees are still good he will be durable. this is howards first major injury and he appears to finally gotten healthy at the end of the season. I have no reservations about bring him here....he is worth the risk

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#84 manmythlegend

manmythlegend

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 185 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:02 AM

Howard is certainly worth the "risk" to Houston; if he breaks down to the point that he is a shell of his former self at the end of his contract, the Rockets can just trade him before his deal is up or not re-sign him. That's not the argument I'm trying to make. It's HOWARD who is potentially taking a risk by signing a shorter term deal; there is a possibility that he'll not make $30 million in a season again in his next contract.

As far as the China market, it's great, lucrative and significant to be a star in the most populous country in the world. But if you ask guys like TMac and Starbury, I think they would rather be big stars in America again. And last I checked, I think biggest NBA stars in China are Kobe & Lebron.

#85 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 506 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:47 AM

I don't worry about the Lakers and their salary cap issues; we're not talking about the New Orleans [insert crappy team name here _____]. They've got plenty of money to be way over the cap for a season and not blink much of an eye.

While we try to figure out the CBA in reference to the question of sign-and-trades, we can't discount the extra 5th year and $30 million that the Lakers can offer Howard.  We can sit here and wax all we want about HIS "ideal situation", but it's tough for anyone to turn down that kind of money.  Even Harden said "Thanks, but not thanks, I can get a lot more on the open market" to OKC when they (stupidly) offered him less than the max. 

I just find it very difficult to believe Howard would turn down that extra year and guaranteed $30 million dollars, the chance to live in LA, and the multiple marketing and endorsement opportunities that come with being a star athlete in that city, just for the chance to play with James Harden and what is perceived as a better situation right now. Howard will be an old 31 years of age in 4 years and I doubt he will be able to command that kind of salary again, particularly when his body is already showing signs of breaking down.

they won't blink being way over the tax, but can they realistically put together a team that doesn't suck ?  because as it looks now, resigning Howard is essentially their one and only chance of finishing above .500 next year. let alone anything more. and the major reason is that by being so far over the tax there are so many things they can't do.

Being over the tax, they aren't allowed to sign FAs, and can't take a player in S&T, and can only even offer less exception offers, chances are whether they sign Howard or not half of their bench would be D-Leaguers or guys you though have long retired next year.

From a pure basketball POV they probably should just try to tank as hard as possible next year.  let Howard go, amnesty or trade Pau, and shoot for a the lottery which looks like a pretty good class in 2014, but, this being the Lakers, they are very unlikely to take that route.

#86 manmythlegend

manmythlegend

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 185 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:34 AM

I'm no Larry Coon, but from what I've read in the Interwebs it seems as if amnestying Kobe and unloading Gasol would solve a lot of those cap issues for the Lakers. I'm not sure as to the likelihood of that happening, but with Bryant tearing his Achilles, his return date and subsequent performance level are now in doubt, and so making a move like that seems more plausible.

Heck, there's even crazy talk about the Lakers signing both D12 & CP3 (with both taking free agent discounts, the Lakers amnestying Mamba, trading Gasol, among other moves)! I know, nutzoid stuff, but it just goes to show that with the Lakers, any and all options to maintain its high status in the NBA are on the table and considered possible.

#87 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,125 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:12 AM

I'm no Larry Coon, but from what I've read in the Interwebs it seems as if amnestying Kobe and unloading Gasol would solve a lot of those cap issues for the Lakers. I'm not sure as to the likelihood of that happening, but with Bryant tearing his Achilles, his return date and subsequent performance level are now in doubt, and so making a move like that seems more plausible.

Heck, there's even crazy talk about the Lakers signing both D12 & CP3 (with both taking free agent discounts, the Lakers amnestying Mamba, trading Gasol, among other moves)! I know, nutzoid stuff, but it just goes to show that with the Lakers, any and all options to maintain its high status in the NBA are on the table and considered possible.

I totally disagree. what we are witnessing is the end of an era. if the lakers loose D-12 in FA their world falls apart. even without D-12 they have 79 mil in payroll next year. why would a team trade for gasol when they know they can just wait for the lakers to amnesty him? if they amnesty kobe fans will burn down the staples center :lol: they can amnesty ron artest, but that only gets them below luxury tax. their hands are tied till 2014 whether they sign D-12 or not. if he leaves there is no guarantee they will be able to rebuild immediately. the days of throwing money around and just buying championships have passed. it's the end of an era.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#88 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 3,216 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:02 AM

I think the fact the Lakers owner died is something that throws up alot of question marks for the Lakers, does the new owner have the same values and willingness to do whatever it takes to make the team better?

Who knows, maybe he's too scared to make big decisions like amnestying Kobe because of the scrutiny and media backlash that would follow. 

#89 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 236 posts
          • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

Methinks most everyone knows Jim Buss is trying desperately to move out from daddy's shadow.  His recent moves show that he didn't pay much attention to daddy's lessons, tho.

Hiring D'Antoni over Phil (or anyone else, for that matter) was a glaring mistake.  Phil would have come back had he just been nice and respectful, but now even Jeannie is calling Jim out.

When even Magic calls you out - well, that's bad.

http://www.usatoday....stakes/1706761/

More:

http://sports.yahoo....00296--nba.html

That said, the grantland quote is about right.  Trading Gasol is the tricky part, but if it could be accomplished, they could amnesty Kobe and have enough to sign both D12 and CP3 to near max deals.  They would have to relinquish the rights to more than few guys, but....  this is the Lakers - and a move like that feels like something even Dr. Jerry would have done.

Of course, I expect Jim to blow it.  Unless Jeannie takes over the team, I'm not expecting much from them.

#90 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,125 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

I agree jim doesn't have the smarts of daddy buss. he also seems hell bend on proving everybody wrong about his ability to run the team and that will probably end up costing the lakers big. (IMO) the only thing to watch in LA is the end game when howard signs with us :rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users