Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cointurtlemoose : (21 November 2015 - 06:39 AM) McHale might not have been a great coach, but he definitely was NOT the problem with this team...
@  majik19 : (21 November 2015 - 02:31 AM) our team is just embarassing
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 November 2015 - 07:11 AM) That was the most Corey Brewer thing I have ever seen
@  majik19 : (19 November 2015 - 04:20 AM) how the hell did that happen? maybe just switching from McHale to JB will change our bad luck...
@  Willk : (19 November 2015 - 03:58 AM) in my face
@  bboley24 : (19 November 2015 - 03:55 AM) So that just happened
@  Cooper : (19 November 2015 - 03:53 AM) got the win
@  Willk : (19 November 2015 - 02:06 AM) fire McHale! playing like crap again
@  SadLakerFan : (18 November 2015 - 06:21 PM) It's unfair, but it's the right move because it's the only move major move they had available to them. But, it seems just a tad premature - I wonder what was really said in the player meeting.
@  majik19 : (18 November 2015 - 06:03 PM) So much for building off continuity now that the core is in place... It's probably about time for another "Morey's Plan" article from Rahat.
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:26 PM) No problem. He definitely made it clear that changes will continue to be made until we are winning again.
@  cointurtlemoose : (18 November 2015 - 05:19 PM) Thanks for the link, txtdo; good words from Morey, I thought
@  cointurtlemoose : (18 November 2015 - 05:14 PM) Wow, I expected this 6 or 7 games from now if things didn't change... This seems a tad early. And they better have a replacement actually in mind and ready to hire, otherwise this seems like a misguided move
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:13 PM) Its going on right now.
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:13 PM) http://api.viglink.c...9&title=Rockets Press Conference 11am - ClutchFans&txt=http://www.khou.com/videos/news/loca...7/29/12651418/
@  slick shoes : (18 November 2015 - 05:12 PM) Anyone know where to listen in to the DM press conference?
@  DenverRocket : (18 November 2015 - 04:50 PM) Shocked too, but then again not. Something had to give. I can't see JB being given the reins f/t. Surely they have a contingency? Thibs?
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 04:48 PM) I wonder if the plan is to find a replacement fairly quickly, or to give JB a shot. I'm trying to understand how things would change, since JB has been in the locker room all year. The players are going to give him effort now just because McHale is gone?
@  majik19 : (18 November 2015 - 04:22 PM) just shocked. I feel like this is now a lost season. We were struggling under McHale, but do we really think J.B. can lead us to a championship?
@  thenit : (18 November 2015 - 04:19 PM) Its becoming a winner or becoming Melo, great scorer but not coachable

Photo

Who can be had at the $8-$9mill price range?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#61 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:49 PM

BTW, my previous post was not an argument against Houston trying to acquire Howard; I believe they should, especially if either Parsons or Asik stays with the Rockets under any sign-&-trade scenarios. I just find it hard to believe Howard and his handlers would leave LA, especially with Bryant's retirement age seemingly accelerated after his injury.

I can't say if D-12 will leave or not........I'm just saying (don't dismiss our chances) we are the one team that is keeping the lakers front office up at night :) while the lakers do still have the best chance, we aren't far off the pace. I think D-12 is trying to handle the FA issue a little differently this time around. staying more out of the media with his indecisions. ........as for the brotherhood in the rockets locker room.......most of these players will be back even if we acquire D-12.......the best the lakers can hope to get from us via sign and trade is j-lin. if D-12 elects to leave it takes away all the bargaining power of the lakers and rather than loose D-12 for nothing they will be more willing to deal. remember when Cleveland said they would not work a sign and trade with Miami, but once LeBron was no longer on the table for them it softened their stance didn't it? that's what may happen to the lakers. they can continue to spread all the propaganda they want, but howard still holds the keys.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#62 manmythlegend

manmythlegend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:05 AM

As much as I like JLin, he & whatever else Morey can finagle in a sign and trade will not be enough to obtain Howard. I have to think Asik or Parsons will be included in any serious offers, even in the scenario Howard decides he absolutely wants nothing to do with LA.

I still don't think Howard comes to Houston; Rockets fans, players and the front office will certainly put on a full court recruitment press, there'll be the corny billboards and all the pomp and circumstance that comes along with that. But at the end of the day, there is one thing that rings true in the NBA: The biggest superstars don't leave a major market for a smaller one (& I realize Houston is a top 10 market). Howard, like most players, is more interested in being a star than a champion.

The Lakers will not go through a season without having at least one bonafide superstar. Again, while I like Lin (whose career would certainly be rejuvenated under D'Antoni), I don't think he's the player the Lakers can make the temporary face of their franchise until they make a run at Lebron in a couple seasons.

If there is one franchise the Lakers and Rockets should be concerned with is Atlanta, who may hire SVG in order to lure D12 back to his hometown. While Houston is still a far better option, adding ATL to the mix may make Howard's indecisionitis decompensate completely.

#63 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 506 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:19 AM

Positional need is a bigger issue if there's a S&T with the Lakers , and you'll have a hard time centering a trade around Parsons , because you still need to match money and that's going to be really really difficult when the 2 main piece cost about 20 m apart and the Rockets don't have a lot of large contract (that they don't want) to give.

Either way though, a S&T seems a bit far fetched at this point, unless it's a team that's well over the cap and have bad salary to give, but signs doesn't seem to point towards that. because Howard is in his very late 20s, adding a 5th year is more of a negative than a plus from the team's POV here.

#64 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,297 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

I don't see what luring to Dwight about SVG he and Howard fought every game their last year in Orlando.

#65 manmythlegend

manmythlegend

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 185 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

Don't take my meaningless fan-blog comment, instead read this report:

http://sports.yahoo....-000351988.html

#66 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,186 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

Atlanta is absolutely an option--they almost have a clean slate to work with this Summer.  If Howard goes to ATL I think there is a good chance they re-sign Josh Smith as well giving them a ridiculous set of bigs.  As a fan, I would love to see that line-up together...

#67 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,162 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

Atlanta is absolutely an option--they almost have a clean slate to work with this Summer.  If Howard goes to ATL I think there is a good chance they re-sign Josh Smith as well giving them a ridiculous set of bigs.  As a fan, I would love to see that line-up together...

first Atlanta can on sign D-12 if they let smith walk unless they want to be in the boat the lakers are in now......doubt Danny is going to do that after he finally got the hawks financially solvent. their only hope is to sign SVG as coach and hope he and Howard have really buried the past, which I doubt even more than the possibility the moon landing were a hoax :lol: after all he did get the man fired :rolleyes:  

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#68 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,186 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

I'm not sure about that.  According to basketball reference this is the Hawk's salary for next season.  As usual this stuff makes my brain hurt, but it looks like they have $22M committed next season and $5M of that is the MLE (which is counted separate, right?) which means they have $17M used out of a $60M (estimated) cap.  With $43M to play with they can certainly make some moves.  Howard at $20M and Smith at $16M leaves $6M to fill out the roster with 2-3 more players.  Now, if we assume that Smith and Howard would take pay cuts to play together and compete for a title then there could be a little more money.  Smith might even choose to sign a one year deal so that he can sign his "max deal" at the next level and get more money if that's what he wants.  Who knows, but I do think it is an option they can pursue.

They'll need to find a PG, but surely some veteran would love a chance to compete for a title with those three and would be willing to sign for cheap.

#69 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,162 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

I'm not sure about that.  According to basketball reference this is the Hawk's salary for next season.  As usual this stuff makes my brain hurt, but it looks like they have $22M committed next season and $5M of that is the MLE (which is counted separate, right?) which means they have $17M used out of a $60M (estimated) cap.  With $43M to play with they can certainly make some moves.  Howard at $20M and Smith at $16M leaves $6M to fill out the roster with 2-3 more players.  Now, if we assume that Smith and Howard would take pay cuts to play together and compete for a title then there could be a little more money.  Smith might even choose to sign a one year deal so that he can sign his "max deal" at the next level and get more money if that's what he wants.  Who knows, but I do think it is an option they can pursue.

They'll need to find a PG, but surely some veteran would love a chance to compete for a title with those three and would be willing to sign for cheap.

basketball reference doesn't take qualifying offers into account.....go to http://www.hoopsworl...wks-team-salary they could get down to 18 mil cutting everything, but they must extend the qualifying offers prior to FA. sure they can withdraw the offer if the player has not yet signed it, but (1) smith has already told Atlanta he thinks he is a max player and more than likely will follow the money regardless of who puts it on the table (2) Dwight has said repeatedly he doesn't want to go back to Atlanta. of the four teams who have the money to sign Dwight (LA, HOUSTON, Atlanta, Dallas) only LA and Houston have any real shot at him. the others just don't have as much going for them. (3) highly unlikely Atlanta let Jeff Teague walk...........so while it is possible it's not likely

#70 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,186 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

Good points.  I didn't know Dwight had openly stated he didn't want to go to Atlanta...was that recent?

Teague is very good...I imagine Danny Ferry could convince ownership to go over the tax threshold if it meant a starting 5 of Teague, Stevenson, Smith, Horford, and Howard....that's too good to pass up.

Unless Dallas can swing a trade that totally alters their roster I agree that Howard probably does not want to go there.

Do you think Brooklyn would listen to a sign and trade involving Brook Lopez for Howard?

#71 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,162 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

Good points.  I didn't know Dwight had openly stated he didn't want to go to Atlanta...was that recent?

Teague is very good...I imagine Danny Ferry could convince ownership to go over the tax threshold if it meant a starting 5 of Teague, Stevenson, Smith, Horford, and Howard....that's too good to pass up.

Unless Dallas can swing a trade that totally alters their roster I agree that Howard probably does not want to go there.

Do you think Brooklyn would listen to a sign and trade involving Brook Lopez for Howard?

Brooklyn would love nothing more than to dup the lakers into a lopez for howard deal.....problem is the lakers don't want lopez's contract and outside of d-will Brooklyn doesn't have anything that interest the lakers. remember they tried to get Orlando to bite on that deal with no luck. so it's unlikely Brooklyn can get any traction on that front. as for Atlanta d-12 repeatedly stated his desire not to go to Atlanta in the last year and a half (market to small and no history of championship building). I also think part of it has to do with how they have handled his best friend j-smith......whatever it is he clearly has a beef with them. in addition Stevenson also must be resigned by Atlanta and will be commanding a raise. in conclusion Atlanta does have options, but their situation is a lot murkier than presumed from first glance. which is why I think they have contacted SVG. that move smells like desperation.

#72 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,186 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

Well, in Atlanta's defense I think SVG is going to be better than Larry Drew so even if Howard is a no show I like the hiring.

Sounds like Houston and LA are the only options....

#73 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,162 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:06 AM

Well, in Atlanta's defense I think SVG is going to be better than Larry Drew so even if Howard is a no show I like the hiring.

Sounds like Houston and LA are the only options....

looking at it from a realistic standpoint that about sizes up his options..........I also saw a report the clippers want to make a run at howard. however they have even less chance than Atlanta because they need the lakers to agree to trade him and except equal salary in return......while that may work for the clippers that much salary coming from the clippers without howard on the roster is a deal breaker for the lakers. remember the laker s want D-12, but even if they must give him up it's unlikely they will kill their cap space for 2014 in a trade that doesn't net another star player. if D-12 leaves they are in rebuild mode and must preserve their cap space for that purpose.

#74 manmythlegend

manmythlegend

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 185 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:20 AM

Can someone please educate me: In the event the Lakers don't resign Howard, why would they want to do him a favor by arranging a sign and trade so he can get that final year of max money? I can understand why Cleveland did it because they had to gain something in return. But the Lakers is one of the four destination markets in the NBA (between Chicago, NY & Miami); if Howard walks, they'll just go and sign the next superstar next season. They don't need another team's 2nd or 3rd best options, and they certainly don't need Houston's pick in what is figuring to be one of the thinnest drafts in recent memory.

And let's not forget, the Lakers are run by Jim Buss, & we all know how he handled the last head coaching hire...I don't think the argument of "It's just common sense to swing a sign and trade to get something back in return" can definitively be applied here.

#75 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,162 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:58 AM

Can someone please educate me: In the event the Lakers don't resign Howard, why would they want to do him a favor by arranging a sign and trade so he can get that final year of max money? I can understand why Cleveland did it because they had to gain something in return. But the Lakers is one of the four destination markets in the NBA (between Chicago, NY & Miami); if Howard walks, they'll just go and sign the next superstar next season. They don't need another team's 2nd or 3rd best options, and they certainly don't need Houston's pick in what is figuring to be one of the thinnest drafts in recent memory.

And let's not forget, the Lakers are run by Jim Buss, & we all know how he handled the last head coaching hire...I don't think the argument of "It's just common sense to swing a sign and trade to get something back in return" can definitively be applied here.

I disagree......the reason (not just the lakers) teams do sign and trades are to pickup more assets when loosing a star player. the 5th year can not be offered in a sign and trade. the only reason Houston got harden this way was because he was still under contract at the time of the trade and they only extended his contract. howard gets no benefit from a sign and trade between the two teams, so the lakers won't be doing him any favors. they will simply be picking up a few asset/trade chips for future use.

#76 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 3,216 posts
            • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:52 AM

I could be wrong but I think I read somewhere that the new CBA doesn't allow for sign and trades unless the player has played three years with the team.

#77 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,162 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:22 AM

I could be wrong but I think I read somewhere that the new CBA doesn't allow for sign and trades unless the player has played three years with the team.

I think the only requirement is that the trading team owns the sign and trade player's bird rights. there are some cases where a team can acquire a player's early bird rights in less than 3 years. however that is a good question. I think I will research it more

#78 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 506 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

For the Lakers, regardless of Howard's situation, they're way over the cap,  in the most hilarious scenario, they would still be 8 million over the cap with just 5 players, one of whom is terribly hurt,  yup, they wouldn't even be able to take the court with 68 freaking million dollars.

Even if they take all the qualifying offers (which they almost have to, even if alot of those guys suck.)  they still have only 11 guys left without Howard,  1 of whom again is badly hurt, and of the remaining 10 there's probably only 3.5 of them are anywhere close to NBA average player or better.

And they don't even have a draft pick coming up, so that's pretty horrendous no matter how you slice or dice it.

A starting 5 of .... what.. Nash / Blake or Meeks / Metta / Jordan / Gasol ... and a terrible bench, that's like a sub 35 win team if EVERYTHING breaks right. 

So seeing that, they almost have to take Howard no matter what, since their option are near non existent baring that to even put together a .500 team. 

So if Howard's dying to leave, a S&T would at least somewhat makeup for the horrendous depth, they'll still suck, but at least have a couple pieces that might be worth something going forward, personally though, if Howard hates the Lakers so much that he's passing up the big bucks to leave, why would HE help them out there ?  because again, from the Lakers' situation, even if you think Howard's not ideal (and a legitimate case can be made against signing a 29 year with bad back and declining rates to 5 years of super max), you pretty much have no choice.

#79 manmythlegend

manmythlegend

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 185 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

I don't worry about the Lakers and their salary cap issues; we're not talking about the New Orleans [insert crappy team name here _____]. They've got plenty of money to be way over the cap for a season and not blink much of an eye.

While we try to figure out the CBA in reference to the question of sign-and-trades, we can't discount the extra 5th year and $30 million that the Lakers can offer Howard.  We can sit here and wax all we want about HIS "ideal situation", but it's tough for anyone to turn down that kind of money.  Even Harden said "Thanks, but not thanks, I can get a lot more on the open market" to OKC when they (stupidly) offered him less than the max. 

I just find it very difficult to believe Howard would turn down that extra year and guaranteed $30 million dollars, the chance to live in LA, and the multiple marketing and endorsement opportunities that come with being a star athlete in that city, just for the chance to play with James Harden and what is perceived as a better situation right now. Howard will be an old 31 years of age in 4 years and I doubt he will be able to command that kind of salary again, particularly when his body is already showing signs of breaking down.

#80 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,162 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

I don't worry about the Lakers and their salary cap issues; we're not talking about the New Orleans [insert crappy team name here _____]. They've got plenty of money to be way over the cap for a season and not blink much of an eye.

While we try to figure out the CBA in reference to the question of sign-and-trades, we can't discount the extra 5th year and $30 million that the Lakers can offer Howard.  We can sit here and wax all we want about HIS "ideal situation", but it's tough for anyone to turn down that kind of money.  Even Harden said "Thanks, but not thanks, I can get a lot more on the open market" to OKC when they (stupidly) offered him less than the max. 

I just find it very difficult to believe Howard would turn down that extra year and guaranteed $30 million dollars, the chance to live in LA, and the multiple marketing and endorsement opportunities that come with being a star athlete in that city, just for the chance to play with James Harden and what is perceived as a better situation right now. Howard will be an old 31 years of age in 4 years and I doubt he will be able to command that kind of salary again, particularly when his body is already showing signs of breaking down.

as far as the salary cap issue.............the only requirement for the sign and trade is the trading team must own the bird rights to the sign and trade player and be within the arpon of the luxury tax thresh hole.

Howard will not get a 5th year if he leaves LA bottom line. he has nothing to gain by the rockets and lakers working a sign and trade. true when his next contract is up he will be 31, but in all likely hood still in his prime and still able to command max money on the market. this would make the 5th year less important because he will still draw a max deal where ever he lands. so the money is not as big as hyped, as a matter of fact I have read a couple of breakdowns on the money issue and found out he will only loose a little over a million over the first 4 years because of the difference in taxes. Noboby knows whats going on in howard's head, but howard. the fact that he is willing to listen to our pitch means we're in the ballgame. when our turn at bat comes all we have to do is hit it out the park......simple :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users