Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Who can be had at the $8-$9mill price range?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:34 AM

We can get two of these guys.

I think Mayo will get more than this, as will Josh Smith.

Millsap and Tyreke Evans fit this range.

#2 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:05 AM

I think Millsap and Tyreke will get around 10-11m

And I thought we should have only around 14m cap space if we don't bring back Delfino and Garcia. Are you saying we should get rid of every non-guaranteed contract including Beverley and Greg Smith? 

#3 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,596 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:51 AM

1) CP3
    2) Dwight
    3) Smith
    4) West
    5) Millsap
    6) Evans
    7) Jefferson (PF on offense, C on defense)
    8) Mayo

These are the only FAs with the potential to significantly make an impact and very few will make less than 10-12 mil

Why so Serious? :D

#4 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,547 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:24 AM

I think Millsap and Tyreke will get around 10-11m

And I thought we should have only around 14m cap space if we don't bring back Delfino and Garcia. Are you saying we should get rid of every non-guaranteed contract including Beverley and Greg Smith? 

What if you were able to trade Lin and Thomas Robinson, clearing up some more room?  Would you pair Harden with Evans/Mayo in the backcourt?  

What if you could do Millsap at 10 and Evans at 10?  

That'd leave you with:

Milsap/Jones/Dmo

Parsons

Asik/Smith

Harden

Evans/Beverley

Obviously, nowhere near as preferable as adding Dwight or CP3.  But you add two legitimate threats to an already high octane offense.  Evans is a player I've always hated, but he tirelessly attacks the rim.  

#5 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 437 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:44 AM

Evans can't shoot at all though, so he's a bad compliment to Harden.  I don't like Evans at all. Pre-Harden I would have said go get him, but this team doesn't need to take that risk.

#6 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,216 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:48 AM

What if you were able to trade Lin and Thomas Robinson, clearing up some more room?  Would you pair Harden with Evans/Mayo in the backcourt?  

What if you could do Millsap at 10 and Evans at 10?  

That'd leave you with:

Milsap/Jones/Dmo

Parsons

Asik/Smith

Harden

Evans/Beverley

Obviously, nowhere near as preferable as adding Dwight or CP3.  But you add two legitimate threats to an already high octane offense.  Evans is a player I've always hated, but he tirelessly attacks the rim.  

I don't see that happening because of Lin's worldwide marketability, plus he has shown alot of potential on the court too so his market value even as just a basketball player could soar in a year's time. 

Selling Lin now would be essentially selling him low. 

Lin's post All-Star break per 36:
        17.2 ppg
        6.8 ast
        45% fg
        37.5% 3pt

As for Thomas Robinsion, it's my opinion that Morey acquired him on the hope that he can either develop into an All-Star or be used as a trade chip for someone who is an All-Star--Millsap falls short of that.

I'm not sure about Evans, but I don't think he would be a good fit in a back-court with Harden for the same reasons Lin struggled earlier in the season. Lin eventually learned to co-exist with Harden but alot of that had to do with his improved accuracy from behind the arc--an improvement Evans would also need to make.

You also have to keep in mind that Evans is a restricted free-agent, so the Kings can match any offer and probably will.

#7 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 263 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:03 AM

I actually like the PG position for at least next year.  I think Lin or Bev could both really take a step forward (more likely Lin).  If you can't get an all-star caliber player, I say focus needs to be (in this order) starting caliber PF, back-up C to compete with Smith, wing (maybe even resign Garcia or Delfino if they will accept it).  

#8 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,008 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:13 AM

I actually like the PG position for at least next year. I think Lin or Bev could both really take a step forward (more likely Lin). If you can't get an all-star caliber player, I say focus needs to be (in this order) starting caliber PF, back-up C to compete with Smith, wing (maybe even resign Garcia or Delfino if they will accept it).

Got a starting PF already. D12 CP3 or hold out. That should be the three options. Unless people are signed to one year deals.

#9 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 263 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:13 AM

Maybe Millsap (say $10 mil) , Dalembert on Delfino-like contract ($3 mil), resign Delfino or Garcia ($3 mil).  That would give the following:

PG Lin/Bev

SG Harden/Lin/Anderson

SF Parsons/Garcia or Delfino (or other)

PF Millsap/Jones/DMo

C  Asik/Dalembert/Smith

Trade TRob for a pick (or if he shows massive jump then one of the other PFs).  Based on my midnight math, that should more or less work salary wise.

#10 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 263 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:16 AM

Got a starting PF already. D12 CP3 or hold out. That should be the three options. Unless people are signed to one year deals.

I really like Jones, but I don't know if he is quite ready to start.  If you grab Millsap, you have a solid starting PF, more time for the young guys to develop, & in two years you can flip him.

#11 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 2,008 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:16 AM

Maybe Millsap (say $10 mil) , Dalembert on Delfino-like contract ($3 mil), resign Delfino or Garcia ($3 mil). That would give the following:

PG Lin/Bev
                  SG Harden/Lin/Anderson
                  SF Parsons/Garcia or Delfino (or other)
                  PF Millsap/Jones/DMo
                  C Asik/Dalembert/Smith

Trade TRob for a pick (or if he shows massive jump then one of the other PFs). Based on my midnight math, that should more or less work salary wise.

Woohoo you've created a team that finishes as a 6th seed and gets dumped out of the playoffs in the first round every year.

#12 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 263 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:23 AM

Woohoo you've created a team that finishes as a 6th seed and gets dumped out of the playoffs in the first round every year.

If we can't get an all-star that is all we are going to be.  The goal would be more playoff experience for young guys until we either home-grow an all-star or obtain one via trade/FA.  Oh and the Dalembert (or some back-up center) and wing contracts are both like Delfino's current one (2 years with only first year guaranteed).  

If we were to do absolutely do nothing, our peak would probably be squeak into playoffs unless someone makes a massive jump in front court because Asik can't play 40+ minutes a game.  That is why my two main concerns are PF and back-up C. At least with this roster, we can get middle playoff seed and have a better shot at an upset depending on matchup (ala GS).  

#13 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 353 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:19 AM

the biggest problems with lin now can't be seen from stats. you have to watch him play. ball handling, a 8-12 footers shot, consistence, and confidence (not going in to panic mode). a lot of the problems stem from ball handling.

#14 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 4,125 posts
                      • Locationhouston

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:52 AM

the biggest problems with lin now can't be seen from stats. you have to watch him play. ball handling, a 8-12 footers shot, consistence, and confidence (not going in to panic mode). a lot of the problems stem from ball handling.

my biggest problem with lin ..........can't stay in front of quick guards and jumping into the air with nowhere to go with the ball in addition to inability to go left.........this makes him easier to defend. I know many here like lin........I was once in that corner, but now starting to move away from that line of thought. I have watched lin very closely this year. I see some good and bad. lin (IMO) is a backup PG at best. he simply doesn't have enough of the tools to become a star. I was very high on him in the beginning, but some of the flaws in his game are fatal. we need and upgrade at PG. if we persuade either D-12 or j-smith we should take a couple of assets and trade for bledsoe from the clippers. once they sign cp3 .....Bledsoe may be available. I am no longer convinced lin is the answer.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#15 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 353 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

my biggest problem with lin ..........can't stay in front of quick guards and jumping into the air with nowhere to go with the ball in addition to inability to go left.........this makes him easier to defend. I know many here like lin........I was once in that corner, but now starting to move away from that line of thought. I have watched lin very closely this year. I see some good and bad. lin (IMO) is a backup PG at best. he simply doesn't have enough of the tools to become a star. I was very high on him in the beginning, but some of the flaws in his game are fatal. we need and upgrade at PG. if we persuade either D-12 or j-smith we should take a couple of assets and trade for bledsoe from the clippers. once they sign cp3 .....Bledsoe may be available. I am no longer convinced lin is the answer.

yeah his lateral quickness is a problem on D. althought he is quick on offense with his first step. the jumping up in the air with no where to go stems from his ball handling skills/confidence. he is forced baseline or stops his dribble early if he goes left (i call it zoolander syndrome). lin doesn't have to be a star point guard which is the weird thing. 14pt/8ast/low turnovers. just handle the ball well.

still not sure how serious howard coming to houston is, but that could be regional/big market bias. i'd like to see how training camp, preseason, and the first 10-20 games go with regard to lin. they are all young and can improve. who knows what mchale/coaching staff can do with the PFs this season. PPat improved a good amount. rockets could do a bunch of small aquisitions for wing defenders/ perimiter scoring and end up fine for all i know.

#16 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
                        • PipPipPipPip
                        • 506 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Evans a Restricted FA, the 8-9 range seem to be around the right range where the Kings would legitimately debate if they would match (i'd say 50/50. )  though there is the possibility of other teams just flooring him with bigger offer.

Evans is a interesting player, but at the end of the day he's also more SG than PG,  and in that case, a inefficient volume SG tend to be some of the most overrated commodities in the market, granted , at 8m he's not over paid, and unlike a lot of those guys, he actually plays a little defense.

He is also very big guard though, playing him and Harden together would present some interesting matchup (both the good and the bad) I see a lot of Jerry Stackhouse in him, who at his best was a borderline super star, but the peak and valley can be fairly extreme. and the peak won't be long enough or high enough .

I would hazard a guess that Milsap would get significantly more than 8-9M.

essentially, league average salary is close to 6M , for 8-9 M you'll usually get someone who's (at least perceived as) above average. like slightly better than average starter type, not... you know.. unlike Jeremy Lin, give or take some.

Harden as a primary PG can be interesting, but at the end of the day, his assist to turn over ratio is nearly a mirror image of Kobe's career rate (both at around 1.5, for comparison, Lin was about 2.1 this year, Westbrook was about 1.9 in his career.), which present you the question, if you had Kobe on your team, would you make him the PG? it's a interesting thought process, though I think the general perception is no.

#17 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                          • 1,547 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

110% agreed here.  You can't see his problems with stats because it's not like he's turning the ball over on these possessions.  He just gets deterred.  

#18 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                            • 3,216 posts
                            • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

On the 610 podcast today Morey spoke quite highly of Lin, he mentioned his good defense and how he's the 5th best pick and roll player in the game, and that people are making too big a deal of his injury and performance in the playoffs. 

#19 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                            • 4,133 posts
                            • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

My turn....First, I like keeping Lin and letting him develop/fix the flaws in his game, but in the spirit of this discussion what if we went this direction....

Sign+trade with Dallas for OJ Mayo (say $10M)....we send Lin and Robinson.  I think Cuban might like this as he would see all the $$$$ coming off of Lin being on the roster.

Next, sign Andray Blatche to play some PF and back up center.  He is a solid player all around and has great athleticism.  Given his contract situation we might be able to get him fairly cheap.

(I think getting Bledsoe would be great, but I also think the Clip's are looking to fleece somebody for his services...not interested in that)

So, the line up would be:

Mayo, Harden, Parsons, Blatche, Asik to start with Beverley, Garcia (maybe), Terence Jones, James Anderson, and D-Mo on the bench.  We still have two PF's to develop and can create some good match-ups.  We will be thin at PG and C again, but this gives us the ability to generate powerful offensive and defensive line-ups to suit our needs.

Personally, I'd rather just keep Lin and sign Blatche, but I'd be OK with this too.

Harden as point guard is somewhat troubling given his turnover rate, but I do think a lot of those fall on the learning curve and will dissipate over time.  I can only imagine that at some point this Summer Harden and Bickerstaff sit down and painstakingly watch hours of tape of himself.  I think that alone will be enough to motivate him to improve....and hopefully stop the "drive and whiplash" technique as well....nobody likes a faker.

#20 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
                            • PipPipPip
                            • 236 posts
                            • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

JG - agree with signing Blatche.  If we can't fill the hole with an All Star, go for the serviceable, cheap option.

Harden as the point could work, but I'm not sure that's the best fit for his talents.  For all the reasons why Lin seems out of sorts, Harden has the same issues - he's always gonna be a SG at heart.  That's his skillset.

I have been hearing some interesting reasons for Harden's odd play this year.  His D was a joke, and his ISOs aren't much better.  Someone (forget where) was stating the bad ISOd were not a weakness of play, but rather of indecision.  Also, the D will improve as the offense gets set - he has the tools, but the priority was elsewhere.  Just a thought.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users