Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Kevin Love

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#81 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Yeah, it's all conjecture.  I think I favor Smith some because I like having a guy like that on the team.  He is easy money on offense (presuming the guards can get him the ball in the right places) and I think can become a solid defender.

Some guys can finish around the rim and some can't--with Smith, he either finishes or gets fouled the vast majority of the time.  I want that on the team--even if it is as a sub behind Jones or D-Mo.  T-Rob has great physical tools and instincts, but is very unpolished.  I'm not sure we can wait for him to develop fully....he looks like trade bait.

I don't want to get rid of smith either, but at some point the rockets are going to trade 1 or more of these power forwards. I disagree that d-mo and t-rob should be tossed aside. I still believe in their potential. they were both rooks.....not every bird learns to fly on the first jump from the nest. some have to walk a little while :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#82 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,133 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

You're preaching to the choir...That's just my pecking order for now...like I said, I'm sure it will change in a month or two....Summer League always brings hope and promise.  I'm not advocating "tossing aside" any of them--I think all of our PF's are interesting trade bait for a number of teams.  They all have desirable qualities that could be quite useful.

#83 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

You're preaching to the choir...That's just my pecking order for now...like I said, I'm sure it will change in a month or two....Summer League always brings hope and promise.  I'm not advocating "tossing aside" any of them--I think all of our PF's are interesting trade bait for a number of teams.  They all have desirable qualities that could be quite useful.

no doubt the rockets will not be short of teams willing to grab the castoffs after we decide which PF to keep and which to trade. other teams are watching this process unfold just as we are. the thing is we must take our time because we don't want to release the wrong one. we should have a better picture come trade deadline this coming year. by then 1 or 2 of the players in this position should have begun to separate themselves from the group. 

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#84 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:52 AM

We will need to pay him more than peanuts eventually, and if he does become a solid defender it won't be cheap.  

This is pretty much true for everyone though, if we keep Asik and he keeps playing at this level or higher, he'll probably get a raise, Parsons will get a huge raise in 2 years, etc... if he's really a solid defender / great paint guy by then, you'd obviously have to pay him, or at least seriously weigh your options.

#85 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,008 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:13 AM

This is pretty much true for everyone though, if we keep Asik and he keeps playing at this level or higher, he'll probably get a raise, Parsons will get a huge raise in 2 years, etc... if he's really a solid defender / great paint guy by then, you'd obviously have to pay him, or at least seriously weigh your options.

Agreed. Javelle McGee got 4 years $40M to be a backup center. If you're 7' with decent skills, you get PAID. If Asik keeps it up he will probably get $12M a year. Parsons will probably get at least $8M per if he doesn't improve.

#86 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,125 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:22 AM

Agreed. Javelle McGee got 4 years $40M to be a backup center. If you're 7' with decent skills, you get PAID. If Asik keeps it up he will probably get $12M a year. Parsons will probably get at least $8M per if he doesn't improve.

True......but I bet Denver wish they could redo that contract right now :blink:

#87 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 211 posts
      • LocationIsrael

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

I would rephrase to "If you're 7' with decent skills and healthy, you get paid."

IMHO the Rockets should examine closely Oden's health, because he can be signed to a Morey-kind-of contract (smaller money, partially guaranteed), and if he can give the team 18 minutes a night putting half his potential on the floor he would be another steal.

#88 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,133 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:17 PM

Oden is going to get signed by somebody this off-season.  I think just about every team is doing their due diligence with him to see if he can stay healthy....My best guess is no, but someone will pay to find out.  Maybe if he only plays 15 minutes per game it can work...

#89 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,216 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:58 AM

If somebody gave Eddy Curry a chance, someone will definitely give Oden a chance. There have been reports that Oden has dropped 30 pounds and looks really good in practice. 

#90 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,133 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

"reports"?  What kind of reports?  Is it the kind where the agent is leaking info. to help his client?  :ph34r:

#91 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,216 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

I say that's a fair deduction :)

#92 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,133 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

Don't get me wrong--I am intrigued by Oden as well.  He didn't get picked ahead of Durant for nothing.  Persistent injuries rarely go away.  Grant Hill is probably the only guy I can think of that got past his--but it robbed him of his best years and he was still never the same.  As long as the contract reflects the high risk level I'm fine with signing him.

EDIT: I think I found the "report"--it's coming from Deshaun Thomas--a fellow Buckeye that is working out with Oden in preparation for the draft....I'm guessing this doesn't count for much.  Until I hear an NBA scout or GM say he looks good then we'll see....I mean, Cleveland was going to sign him and walked away from it--not sure why, but they cold use a healthy Oden.

#93 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,125 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

Don't get me wrong--I am intrigued by Oden as well.  He didn't get picked ahead of Durant for nothing.  Persistent injuries rarely go away.  Grant Hill is probably the only guy I can think of that got past his--but it robbed him of his best years and he was still never the same.  As long as the contract reflects the high risk level I'm fine with signing him.

EDIT: I think I found the "report"--it's coming from Deshaun Thomas--a fellow Buckeye that is working out with Oden in preparation for the draft....I'm guessing this doesn't count for much.  Until I hear an NBA scout or GM say he looks good then we'll see....I mean, Cleveland was going to sign him and walked away from it--not sure why, but they cold use a healthy Oden.

I agree................the nba is much more demanding than workouts to get in shape. oden's body simply can't stand the pounding. same as Brandon roy. I too believe some poor sucker will pay to find out. the conclusion is apparent to me, but it ain't my money. the kid has undeniable talent, but you still can't score or rebound from the rehabilitation room. the rockets should not even take a 2nd look in his direction. any amount given to him hinders our cap situation. I hate to say it, but cap room is more important than his possible ability to become anything productive

#94 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,133 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

You're right, but if we have an extra $1M laying around I'd use it on him....that's if it's just laying around...

#95 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,125 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:07 AM

You're right, but if we have an extra $1M laying around I'd use it on him....that's if it's just laying around...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: .....just laying around :lol: on a more serious note with the confines of the new cba there's going to be very little money just laying around. especially if the rockets sign howard. however even if they don't sign howard does that make oden a good gamble.....not in my opinion because he will command at least 3 mil or so on the open market considering the shortage of quality centers available. that's why there have been no takers b4 now. the kids knees are a mess.....plain and simply. he's had like what? 500 operations on both. I really wish he could play. I thought the combo of him and roy in Portland was special. sometimes it just wasn't meant to be.

#96 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,133 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

The sad reality is, you're right.  It's probably a 100-1 shot (at best) that Oden can stay healthy.  Yet, some team will pay him that $3M (or more) to find out.

I was reading a little bit about Oden yesterday (forget where) and something they mentioned is most NBA bigs suffer from injuries due to their size and the bones not being able to support it.  Nearly all of them have gigantism (a genetic defect by definition) and just aren't meant for the harsh labor of basketball.  The most interesting part of the article was that of all the NBA bigs that are playing right now nearly all of them register some form/version of this--except Roy Hibbert...he's just big.  That's astounding that at 7' 2" he presents no physical anomalies that led to it.  I'll see if I can dredge up the link later today.

#97 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,125 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

The sad reality is, you're right.  It's probably a 100-1 shot (at best) that Oden can stay healthy.  Yet, some team will pay him that $3M (or more) to find out.

I was reading a little bit about Oden yesterday (forget where) and something they mentioned is most NBA bigs suffer from injuries due to their size and the bones not being able to support it.  Nearly all of them have gigantism (a genetic defect by definition) and just aren't meant for the harsh labor of basketball.  The most interesting part of the article was that of all the NBA bigs that are playing right now nearly all of them register some form/version of this--except Roy Hibbert...he's just big.  That's astounding that at 7' 2" he presents no physical anomalies that led to it.  I'll see if I can dredge up the link later today.

every once and awhile a natural big boy comes along, but it is a rarity. this is why most bigs have no coordination, their bodies outgrow their muscles ability to control them making them look slow and clumsy. they almost always have knee and foot problems due to the extra weight they carry. I am very aware of this problem. some members in my extended family suffer from this ailment. I have often been told that being tall and not being able to play basketball is a curse because everyone that meets you....the first question out of their mouth is why didn't you play bball. having to explain your reason for failure on this front over and over again is a burden that they drag around continually.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users