Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Dwight Howard Ejection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
245 replies to this topic

#41 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

Howard can't shoot free throws and doesn't seem to want to improve that part of his game. As Miketheodio stated above, Howard hasn't even developed his go to post move. If not by now, probably never is gonna happen.

With Howard, what you see is what you gonna get. Hope his back holds up, back injuries are notoriously chronic.

#42 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,008 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

Howard can't shoot free throws and doesn't seem to want to improve that part of his game. As Miketheodio stated above, Howard hasn't even developed his go to post move. If not by now, probably never is gonna happen.

With Howard, what you see is what you gonna get. Hope his back holds up, back injuries are notoriously chronic.

Amar'e never had a post move until this year. It's called getting Dwight to spend a few weeks with Hakeem, and that's easy just make it part of the contract.

#43 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 236 posts
      • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

See, Howard *has* spent time with Hakeem.  This was heavily publicized during the last Orlando run with him.  Pretty much free publicity for Hakeem's School of Footwork, Inc.

I agree fully that Howard is the best center in the league.  Just because there is only one other center of note does not mitigate that fact.

All I'm saying is that a lot of folks put up with his crap when the team was winning.  Then the money/contract issues came up, and his attitude hasn't been the same since.  Or rather, people started taking note of it being less than mature.

I guess I'm of the mind that folks need to man up at some point in their lives, and I really don't like pouty types (just ask my kids).  He's getting paid for a job, so go earn your cash.  No one likes drama - especially when done badly.

As for his FTs, they seem to get worse situationally.  If you NEED a point, then there is next to no chance he'll make it.  Up by 20, and his average gets respectable.  Eye-test only, there.

Sorry if my stats were off - going by memory.  Not like I had the interwebs to double... check......   dammit.

I'm not going to quit watching if the Rox get him.  I'll probably give him the chance to prove me wrong.  But his recent history leaves much to be desired.

#44 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 338 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

Thought exercise:

The Rockets are playing the Spurs in SA in the Play-Offs.

What are the chances Pop employs a Hack-an-Asik strategy on a player making .477 of his FTs on the road?

Strangely enough,Dwight shot better on the road(.538 FT%) than at home(.454).

O shot much better at home(.621) than on the road(.477).

#45 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 57 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

Hakeem has worked with a lot of NBA players but I still don't see a fantastic post game from any of those guys. Howard doesn't have the touch to be Hakeem or do Hakeem like moves.

I actually agree with Shaq, Howard needs to learn how to get low post position where his power will overtake any defense. 

I just don't believe Howard can be depended on of a reliable option on offense. If the Rockets want to sign him for Defense, Rebounds, and Dunks, fine but we better have two legit scorers who can create their own shot in crunch time. Some of you will say those players are Harden and Parsons. I am not sure about Parsons, when teams begin to lock in on him. 

#46 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,125 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

I dislike Howard--a lot!  Yet, there is no denying his talent, however crude it may be, and the fact that he will make the team better.  Injury risks?  Surely.  Free throw shooting?  A mild concern, but not a huge one.  He does have a hook shot or two in his arsenal but they are ugly, low percentage chucks at the rim more than anything else (I'm always a bit surprised when they go in).

Despite all of that he provides efficient scoring, rebounding, defense, and can collapse the defense to open up three point shots.  Like him or not, he will make us better.  I'd rather root for Asik (and I'm a huge proponent of keeping him even if we sign Howard), but Howard is in a class of his own.  If he is interested, we have to sign him.

#47 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 3,216 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

I dislike Howard--a lot!  Yet, there is no denying his talent, however crude it may be, and the fact that he will make the team better.  Injury risks?  Surely.  Free throw shooting?  A mild concern, but not a huge one.  He does have a hook shot or two in his arsenal but they are ugly, low percentage chucks at the rim more than anything else (I'm always a bit surprised when they go in).

Despite all of that he provides efficient scoring, rebounding, defense, and can collapse the defense to open up three point shots.  Like him or not, he will make us better.  I'd rather root for Asik (and I'm a huge proponent of keeping him even if we sign Howard), but Howard is in a class of his own.  If he is interested, we have to sign him.

Agreed.

#48 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 3,216 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

"You definitely need at least 1 elite player in the top 10-20 of all NBA players (all-star level) to win the championship." - Daryl Morey

We have a chance to win the championship now that we have a top 10 player (Harden, although he's not playing like one when it counts the most), and our chances increase astronomically if we have two top 10 players--I don't need analytics to know that. 

Despite his flaws, Dwight is a top 10-20 player--and that's a huge understatement. I thought he was the MVP in 2011, and a top 3 player in the league at the time. And unlike Harden, Dwight has proven he can play great when it matters the most (got to the finals in 2009 despite being the only top 20 player on his team). Since then he has fell off due to injury and what not, but fortunately for me I'm not a goldfish, I still remember how good he is when he's healthy and in a good situation. 

#49 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,179 posts
          • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:27 AM

how does howard not have 1 go to post move? boggles the mind

He may not have a 'go to' move, but his post game is still very good overall and a far cry from the days a few years back where he was criticised for not having one. He's so much more than just a 'catch and finish' guy. One of the few players who has dominated Asik in the post this season. Don't undersell him - he's a far more competent and skilled offensive player than Asik is or ever will be.

ST

#50 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 353 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:17 AM

He may not have a 'go to' move, but his post game is still very good overall and a far cry from the days a few years back where he was criticised for not having one. He's so much more than just a 'catch and finish' guy. One of the few players who has dominated Asik in the post this season. Don't undersell him - he's a far more competent and skilled offensive player than Asik is or ever will be.

ST

I'm not talking about asik. I just think it is odd that the most dominant big man in the league isn't great at posting up.

#51 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 3,216 posts
            • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:14 AM

Being great at posting up is not a pre-requisite of being an elite big man eg. Bill Russell

#52 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 353 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:19 AM

Being great at posting up is not a pre-requisite of being an elite big man eg. Bill Russell

with howards size, power, and athleticism? how do you not have a good post game with those attributes?

#53 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 3,216 posts
              • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:30 AM

Didn't Bill Russell have those attributes? There were probably only two guys in the league stronger than Bill--Wilt and Thurmond. Despite being only 6-9 he was also one of the tallest guys in the league during his time too.

#54 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 353 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:58 AM

Didn't Bill Russell have those attributes? There were probably only two guys in the league stronger than Bill--Wilt and Thurmond. Despite being only 6-9 he was also one of the tallest guys in the league during his time too.

look at howards body and look at russells. 

#55 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 263 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:03 AM

I concur.  Howard is built like Hakeem, which is why he got so many comparisons to him early on in his career.  However, he doesn't have the drive of Hakeem which I believe has led to where we are now.  He just relies on the fact that he is stronger than the opposing players and outmuscles them instead of combining it with a good post game to just dominate everyone.

#56 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 353 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:10 AM

I concur.  Howard is built like Hakeem, which is why he got so many comparisons to him early on in his career.  However, he doesn't have the drive of Hakeem which I believe has led to where we are now.  He just relies on the fact that he is stronger than the opposing players and outmuscles them instead of combining it with a good post game to just dominate everyone.

with that muscle, all you really need is one move that no one can stop. it frustrates me, mostly because i know i would be posting up all day if i was as genetically gifted as him.

#57 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                    • 4,125 posts
                    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:11 AM

Hakeem never had muscles like Howard and he definitely never jumped that high....Hakeem's best assets were speed and guile.

#58 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,865 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:15 AM

Hakeem also respected the game, what the hell does Howard respect? The greenback I think and he wants all the glory and the rings without working for it

#59 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 3,216 posts
                      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:24 AM

Dude, when Russell entered the league he was the biggest athletic guy in the league. You can't compare players in the 60's to players today like that.

#60 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 353 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:36 AM

Dude, when Russell entered the league he was the biggest athletic guy in the league. You can't compare players in the 60's to players today like that.

the point is he should use it in the post.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users