Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Dwight Howard Ejection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
245 replies to this topic

#21 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

1) After All-Star break the Lakers went 20-8. 

If you're the Lakers do you think the first or second half of season is a more accurate picture of the team?

You can easily talk yourself into one more year of same core,but adding better bench players. Esp if you know almost everyone can be gone in 2014.

2)Amnestying Kobe-or Gasol-doesn't help all that much.

Nash,Hill,Blake,Artest,Duhon's buy-out is @ $22mil.

If you're keeping Howard,that's another $20mil+.

There is not a team in the NBA that will take Gasol on for just Cap room,so you have to figure at least another $10-15mil in salary coming back.

At $10mil,you're looking at $52mil in salary,and just 6-8 players under contract. The $8mil in Cap space isn't going to go very far.

#22 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,179 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

I'm of the opinion that all this media speculation about Dwight leaving is just journalists wanting something to write about.  Given his position and situation, it seems crazy to me that thinking about leaving LA would even be on the table. I'd imagine that Howard will not make a confirm or deny his position because it weakens his bargaining position when it comes down to the terms of his next deal. 

On Grantland today the NBA Shootaround had a section on this, which I think summed up the media's views on the Lakers in general quite nicely:

Kremlinology is a term that comes to us from the Cold War, where, because of the dearth of accurate information from standard Western sources like newspapers and television, analysts interested in the internal power structures of the Soviet Union had to, in essence, read between the lines, building a picture from a mix of body language, who-stood-where, lipreading, and plain intuition. Kremlinology is essentially intellectual voyeurism: observing something from afar, not to fulfill some kind of base fetish, but as an intellectual exercise; what is going on in there anyway? No team in the NBA, and maybe all of sports, affords more opportunities for kremlinology than the Lakers, and it’s for this reason that I’m going to miss them.

What I get from netw3rk's piece is that the media is circling this for fun and because they reckon it's what most people want to read about. I just disagree that it's interesting to read incessantly. At the end of the day, this is the sort of thing that is almost certainly a load of hot air and not, in my opinion, worth investing significant time in thinking about. 

[But then, I've gone and written a semi-long rant about it...but that's it! I swear!]

ST

#23 Richards

Richards

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 393 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

One thing everybody agreed is Howard quit on the team last night.

I don't want player with that type of attitude.

#24 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,125 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

Who is everyone?  I didn't watch so I can't say one way or the other...

#25 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

Rookie

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 57 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

I really really really don't want Howard, I feel like he is a soft cancer on a team. His trail for the last two years smell no better than Andrew Bynum unwashed hair.

I rather have Josh Smith than Howard. Smith actually has low post moves and he could learn a lot from Mchale. 

We could reunite the Thunder Outcasts. Lets trade for Jeff Green. He would actually fit better than Josh Smith. He would be the ideal stretch 4.

I would pass on Howard, zero improvement since he went to the finals. 

#26 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 236 posts
        • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

Mike & Mike replayed the Legler audio from yesterday, basically saying that the Lakers *should* let D12 walk, but probably won't.  Besides the obvious attitude, he stated that the amount of hits he's taken from the 'Hack-a-Dwight' moves over the years has put his shoulder/back into a state of perpetual injury - making it likely that he won't be healthy for the long run (sans a miracle - like him hitting 70% of FTs).  Also, outside of his one year, his averages are fairly pedestrian (17 and 8, with a block and assist, I think), and he's already past his prime.

So, I agree with Ghosty - no Howard.  Too big of a risk at this point.  I *am* intrigues by Green, though.  Interesting idea.

#27 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,125 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

Acquiring Green would be tough as he is under contract through 2015 with a player option for 2016.  I think Boston has him pegged as the successor to Garnett so prying him away won't be cheap.  He makes roughly $9M per year so a trade would have to include some hefty assets....I know a lot of people would gladly throw Lin at it, but does Boston want Lin?  More than likely they only take Lin if Parsons is in the deal.  No dice.

#28 Matt Maloney's Ghost

Matt Maloney's Ghost

Rookie

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 57 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

I follow the Celtics closely because I love the make up of their team. Next year will be a rebuild year, Garnett will retire, and Danny Ainge loves young assets. We have so many young assets, Thomas Robinson? T.Jones? D. Motie? Royce White(yes, he is still a young asset!)

I don't know if they love Lin, to be honest, his value is so low it might be better to keep him.

9M is steal for the potential that Green has and he would fit in perfectly here. People will blast his consistency, which is true, but if you look at that offense, it doesn't make any sense. Doc deserves some heat for it.

#29 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,125 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

If not Lin, then it probably has to be Asik....no dice

#30 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 236 posts
          • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

I think it will mostly depend on what they get for Rondo.  Methinks his injury has made Ainge open his ears a bit more to trade talks.  If they can flip Rondo for a quality big, then Lin might be a good option for them.

#31 LashtonBryth

LashtonBryth

• Members
          • Pip
          • 28 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

Mike & Mike replayed the Legler audio from yesterday, basically saying that the Lakers *should* let D12 walk, but probably won't.  Besides the obvious attitude, he stated that the amount of hits he's taken from the 'Hack-a-Dwight' moves over the years has put his shoulder/back into a state of perpetual injury - making it likely that he won't be healthy for the long run (sans a miracle - like him hitting 70% of FTs).  Also, outside of his one year, his averages are fairly pedestrian (17 and 8, with a block and assist, I think), and he's already past his prime.

So, I agree with Ghosty - no Howard.  Too big of a risk at this point.  I *am* intrigues by Green, though.  Interesting idea.

Howard hasn't averaged less than 12.3 rebounds a game since his rookie year, and hasn't averaged less than 13.2 a game since 06-07 (except for this year, where he lead the league in rebounding at 12.4 while obviously hurt).  Howard hasn't averaged less than 2.1 blocks a year since 06-07 including 2.4 this year.  Howard's career FG% is 57.7 (57.8% this year).  In 4 of the last 6 years, he's averaged over 20 points a game.  

Picture Howard has a better defensive Asik with actual hands on offense.  He forces double teams (except against the best defenders at his position) despite his limited offensive abilities because of his strength and athleticism.  You are severely underrating Howard's impact on offense and especially defense.  If Howard is going to be perpetually injured like you claim, why in the world would the team that currently has him be begging him to sign a long term deal? 

#32 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,122 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

Howard hasn't averaged less than 12.3 rebounds a game since his rookie year, and hasn't averaged less than 13.2 a game since 06-07 (except for this year, where he lead the league in rebounding at 12.4 while obviously hurt).  Howard hasn't averaged less than 2.1 blocks a year since 06-07 including 2.4 this year.  Howard's career FG% is 57.7 (57.8% this year).  In 4 of the last 6 years, he's averaged over 20 points a game.  

Picture Howard has a better defensive Asik with actual hands on offense.  He forces double teams (except against the best defenders at his position) despite his limited offensive abilities because of his strength and athleticism.  You are severely underrating Howard's impact on offense and especially defense.  If Howard is going to be perpetually injured like you claim, why in the world would the team that currently has him be begging him to sign a long term deal? 

agreed........I don't know what the beef with howard is, but don't get it twisted.......D-12 is the best center in the game. I hear a lot of people talking about his attitude as a reason not to pursue him :blink: any team with cap room will be pursuing him because they all know that a talent like him only comes along on rare opportunities. harden and D-12 spell contender..........did you get that..........harden and D-12 spell contender....nuff said

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#33 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,865 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

The last thing I want to do as a Rocket fan is watch Dwight Howard clanking free throws at the end of the game as our opponent goes with the Hack-a-Howard strategy.

Yes, Howard has an attitude issue as well. We don't need that poison in the Rockets locker room.

Just how healthy is Howard?

So after experiencing the health issues with Yao, go ahead and take a flyer on another injury prone center? One that costs you 30-35% of your salary cap?

#34 LashtonBryth

LashtonBryth

• Members
              • Pip
              • 28 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

Why would you compare Yao to Howard?  Yao had multiple stress fractures from being unable to support his own weight while running and jumping.  Howard has missed 41 games in his entire nine year career, and 28 of those was after surgery last year.  That means he missed only 13 games in eight other seasons.  Howard is only 27 years old.

As far as hack-a Howard goes, the ability to foul off the ball is going to be removed from the NBA at some point soon.  Nobody likes it, not even the coaches who use it.  Besides, depending on a team's average points per possession, a player only needs to hit a little above 50% from the free throw line for it to be a positive outcome for the team.

His attitude is a non issue because it doesn't translate to the court or his workouts.  Is he immature?  Yes.  Is he loud and annoying?  Sure.  Is he as funny as he thinks he is?  Of course not, but who cares.  He works hard out on the court and in his time away from it and that's all that matters.

#35 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 3,216 posts
                • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

I'm not buying the talk about Dwight's attitude, his attitude has never been a problem when he's winning and I expect there to be alot of winning going on in Houston for the next several years. 

As for those who think we shouldn't get Dwight because of his free throw shooting, you might want to watch this clip that explains why Hack-A-Dwight doesn't work: 

Long story short: Hack-A-Dwight doesn't work unless he shoots under 47%, and it just so happens that Dwight shoots 57.7% for his career from the line and 58% in the playoffs. 

The obvious counter argument to his career free throw percentage is his recent free throw percentage, but I'm willing to say 9 years of data holds more weight than 1 year. Chances are that we could see him put up the same numbers he did in 2011 (a year I thought he deserved the MVP) if he goes back to playing happy in a good situation--Houston fits that description.

#36 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                • 1,865 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:44 AM

So it appears that some of the familiar posters on this forum gripe about Harden's late game iso's yet are just fine with watching Howard clank free throws for this team?

#37 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 353 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:45 AM

how does howard not have 1 go to post move? boggles the mind

#38 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 3,216 posts
                    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:08 AM

I just see him as a pick and roll guy who can finish, he's a rich man's Asik--and that's probably an understatement. 

#39 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPip
                    • 1,865 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:12 AM

how does howard not have 1 go to post move? boggles the mind

And he still can't shoot free throws. It's as if he just doesn't give a shit. That's part of the attitude problem I keep referring to. He doesn't have enough pride to try and improve his game and he's been in the league how many years now? And by joining the Rockets, that would change overnight? Really?

#40 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 4,122 posts
                      • Locationhouston

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:25 AM

And he still can't shoot free throws. It's as if he just doesn't give a shit. That's part of the attitude problem I keep referring to. He doesn't have enough pride to try and improve his game and he's been in the league how many years now? And by joining the Rockets, that would change overnight? Really?

true he doesn't shoot free throws well. nobody's denying that, but free throws are but 1 part of the game. howard is the best player at his position when healthy. now if you are unable to see that then perhaps you should remove the blindfold, because even stevie wonder can see that :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users