Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

The day after, and three days away: Reflecting upon Houston's complete collapse

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#101 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:04 AM

I think alot of newly assembled young teams have been iso heavy, even the Heat in 2011 and the first half of the 2012 season. Despite not even being that inexperienced it took them a year and a half to start to iron out the stagnant wrinkles before looking like the finely run well oiled machine they are today. The Thunder have been iso even to this day. The Wizards, the Bobcats, the Raptors, and several other inexperienced teams. Is it just a coincidence? 

#102 Futureinterest

Futureinterest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

I don't have a problem with iso at times.  It is in fact a good play to run when you have a mismatch or when you want to slow the game down or you just have an amazing 1 on 1 player.  It's been part of many winning NBA formulas over the years.  It requires the right personnel though to pull it off.  We're not one of those teams :).  Our best performances come from sharing the ball, creating mismatches with movement and hitting the open man.  The problem for us and our coaching staff is that we're also not awful at running iso.  Harden can make it work against a lot of teams and when he's on fire, it'll work against anyone... therein lies the problem for us.  He's been successful enough with the iso that McHale keeps going to that well over and over when the game is on the line.  It'll work against the bottom dwellers in the league, but against the playoff level talent... not effectively.  It's like that slot machine that pays out just enough to take all your money...

So ultimately, one of our issues is that we don't always play to our current strengths and that's mostly on coaching imo.  

2016 I've read a few of our comments in a few places comparing the rocket's tribulations this year to a younger OKC or the Heat 2011.  I really do 

appreciate your optimism, and your handle says it all. I want to believe... but alas...

I'm over simplifying here, but one of the biggest hindrances to those two teams was the constant struggle over who the big dog was.  This was particularly true with the Heat as they had two of the biggest alphas in the sport.  When did that change for them?  When Wade finally conceded to LeBron as the primary option for the team and simultaneously LeBron finally embraced the role of point PF during the playoffs last year, they have been world beaters ever since.  I think OKC to a lesser degree had that same issue with Westbrick and Durant until Durant made that separation and truly became the man on that team.  Once you get your hierarchy down then you can concentrate on  execution of your roles.  

Houston doesn't have that problem.  From the first day of the season, Harden has been the top dog.  There's been some controversy drummed up about Lin vs Harden, but that's all just in the media to get mouse clicks.  When you take one look at the team, and see how the coaching staff has handled it, you can see how Lin and the entire team simply concedes to Harden... there is no doubt that HArden is acknowledged as the man inside the organization.  We've hitched our wagons to him and will only go as far as he takes us this year and the next decade potentially.  The problem though is that we've done that with a player that has some serious holes in his game and he hasn't really gotten any better as the year has progressed.  One could even argue that he's gotten worse from the first day of the season...  That's not good... and quite frankly worries me.

He's obviously the most talented scorer on the team.  He's going to help us in a lot of ways, but I just don't think we're utilizing the guy right... I'm starting to think that OKC had it right that you make him the man on the second team and play him at spots on the first team for about 30 minutes a night... 

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”― Mahatma Gandhi

#103 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

I'm disappointed in Harden too and agree there are ways we could use him better, I think it's obvious that Harden plays better when the floor is spread for him, and his struggles came after an increase of minutes for Greg Smith and Terrence Jones at the 4. 

With all that being said, it's not impossible to create floor space with Smith/Jones at the 4, but it's far too late in the season to start implementing a new system that would do that. Here's something the Nuggets do to get floor space: 

A looping weave of hand-offs and screens, that's not something you can just teach inexperienced players over night (plus all the ways to vary it up), and in order for something like that to work we can't have an "alpha"--someone stopping the ball and dribbling in the same spot for 10 seconds, the ball needs to move unselfishly from Harden to Lin to Parsons while Asik and Smith/Jones need to keep setting screens and rolling. Basically, we need to play like we did against the Clippers when we didn't have Harden, but we need to do that with Harden. The problem is that Harden is still trying to play like we did when we have a PF who stretches the floor, and that's clearly not working while we don't have that PF on the floor. If we keep our current PF rotation  adjustments to our playing style will need to be made, and it will probably take a whole off-season of practice to make them. 

Personally, I would prefer if we just get a guy like Paul Millsap or Kevin Love and go back to playing the way we did with Patterson. We were ranked 4th on Hollinger's rankings, and scoring 140 points felt like a possibility every night. Our only problem was transition defense and a back-up center, two things with very simple solutions:

1. Stop turning the ball over so often (which will come with experience).

2. Play Terrence Jones as our back-up center. 

#104 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,133 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

Futureinterest and 2016--I agree with 99% of both sides of this.  You lost me at that last line of t-jones at back-up center :o .

I'm a huge fan of having two legitimate bigs and I think we need one--even if it's just Marcus Camby's still-warm-body--though I would prefer an athletic PF/C hybrid that's about 6'11" with a decent post game....is that asking too much?  What's that?  D-Mo?  I'm starting to feel like his learning curve may be a slow one....which is unfortunate.

2016, you've got me sold on Millsap.  I think he will make our defense better just by not being anyone who currently plays PF for us.  His offensive repertoire is impressive and he will certainly make us better on that end.  The caveat with him is I think one of Lin, Parsons, T-Jones has to take a big step in order for us to be true contenders....the good news is I think at least one of them will.  Plus, assuming his salary is $12M we can go find ourselves that back-up C we need.  (I think both the wolves and Nugs have extra bigs that are quite serviceable...plus, has anyone noticed that Cole Aldrich is doing quite well for himself in Sac-town?  His PER has doubled and his per36 is 10, 13, with 3 blocks!  Apparently Houston's humidity slows him down...)

It is true that running plays to perfection takes practice and time to get the nuances down....it is also true that these guys have been playing ball for a long time and surely have some measure of what it means to run a set play and how to go about doing it.  If I were guessing, I'd say the set plays we are getting are not very complex and once any savvy defense snuffs out the first option there is no plan B besides Harden iso-ball....or a 30' shot from Parsons :) .

#105 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

I was happy with what I saw when Terrence Jones guarding DeMarcus Cousins for a few possessions, and other times when he has played center while D-Mo is on the floor with him. I think he's capable of playing 12-18 minutes at the 5 especially if it's against a 2nd unit center. For a rookie he has surprisingly good defensive instincts, and I'm not just talking about his shotblocking ability, he seems to know how to be in the right place at the right time. 

#106 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,133 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

I'll give you that it's an option, but I would still prefer another big body to go along with that option.

#107 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

I came across a very insightful post at clutchfans:

I already brought this up in another thread, but I wanted to follow up on it, as it's appears to be a common misconception that the Rockets draw up/call for a lot of isolations, especially late in games, which just isn't true. At all.

Aside from the ISO with 0:15 to go in OT the Rockets did not call for an isolation once in the 4th quarter or OT last night.

A few possessions ended up as isolations due to poor execution, plays getting busted by the Lakers D, the Lakers switching some ball-screens and Harden and Parsons waving off ball-screens once or twice.
Again, tough, aside from the one isolation out of a timeout with 0:15 to go in OT (that actually resulted in a quick drawn foul), there was not a single called/drawn up isolation. 

One example of what might have look like a designed ISO coming out of timeout, actually was a flare set that the Rockets have had in their playbook since game 1 of the regular season:

Here's the Rockets going to the same set last night:

Harden obviously didn't feel like he had a great angle to make the cross-court pass, so he decided to hold onto the ball, resulting in the possession to bog down to an ISO.
Maybe the Harden should have trusted the play & forced the pass or maybe McHale should have drawn up to something different, but most certainly McHale did not draw up an ISO. Not on this possession and not on any other possession in the 4th quarter or OT, aside from 0:15 to go in OT.

http://bbs.clutchfan...9&postcount=120

#108 Futureinterest

Futureinterest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:35 AM

Thanks for sharing. That info on Rockets plays is money. Very interesting.

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”― Mahatma Gandhi

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users