Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (21 November 2015 - 02:31 AM) our team is just embarassing
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 November 2015 - 07:11 AM) That was the most Corey Brewer thing I have ever seen
@  majik19 : (19 November 2015 - 04:20 AM) how the hell did that happen? maybe just switching from McHale to JB will change our bad luck...
@  Willk : (19 November 2015 - 03:58 AM) in my face
@  bboley24 : (19 November 2015 - 03:55 AM) So that just happened
@  Cooper : (19 November 2015 - 03:53 AM) got the win
@  Willk : (19 November 2015 - 02:06 AM) fire McHale! playing like crap again
@  SadLakerFan : (18 November 2015 - 06:21 PM) It's unfair, but it's the right move because it's the only move major move they had available to them. But, it seems just a tad premature - I wonder what was really said in the player meeting.
@  majik19 : (18 November 2015 - 06:03 PM) So much for building off continuity now that the core is in place... It's probably about time for another "Morey's Plan" article from Rahat.
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:26 PM) No problem. He definitely made it clear that changes will continue to be made until we are winning again.
@  cointurtlemoose : (18 November 2015 - 05:19 PM) Thanks for the link, txtdo; good words from Morey, I thought
@  cointurtlemoose : (18 November 2015 - 05:14 PM) Wow, I expected this 6 or 7 games from now if things didn't change... This seems a tad early. And they better have a replacement actually in mind and ready to hire, otherwise this seems like a misguided move
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:13 PM) Its going on right now.
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:13 PM) http://api.viglink.c...9&title=Rockets Press Conference 11am - ClutchFans&txt=http://www.khou.com/videos/news/loca...7/29/12651418/
@  slick shoes : (18 November 2015 - 05:12 PM) Anyone know where to listen in to the DM press conference?
@  DenverRocket : (18 November 2015 - 04:50 PM) Shocked too, but then again not. Something had to give. I can't see JB being given the reins f/t. Surely they have a contingency? Thibs?
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 04:48 PM) I wonder if the plan is to find a replacement fairly quickly, or to give JB a shot. I'm trying to understand how things would change, since JB has been in the locker room all year. The players are going to give him effort now just because McHale is gone?
@  majik19 : (18 November 2015 - 04:22 PM) just shocked. I feel like this is now a lost season. We were struggling under McHale, but do we really think J.B. can lead us to a championship?
@  thenit : (18 November 2015 - 04:19 PM) Its becoming a winner or becoming Melo, great scorer but not coachable
@  Mario Peña : (18 November 2015 - 04:14 PM) I'm disappointed in the players too. Here is Harden's chance, win a championship or get relegated to being considered a guy that can't get on the same page with a coach.

Photo

The day after, and three days away: Reflecting upon Houston's complete collapse

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#81 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

1. I don't believe that's entirely true. 

2. Pop or Phil is not going to coach here so forget about it. 

#82 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

There's just such a disparity between Mchale and the elite tier of coaches(pop Phil etc...) that we don't want mediocrity. Is that wrong?

I'm all for hiring one of the coaches in the "elite tier". NEWSFLASH-- None of those coaches are available. For instance, why would Pop leave the Spurs for the Rockets?

#83 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 4,186 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:17 PM

I've got it.  We'll kidnap either Pop or Karl's family, and hold them hostage until they agree to come and coach the Rockets....what could possibly go wrong?

1318256606334_544114_celticpride_studio_

#84 Jason

Jason

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 361 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

I'm all for hiring one of the coaches in the "elite tier". NEWSFLASH-- None of those coaches are available. For instance, why would Pop leave the Spurs for the Rockets?

Exactly. Nobody is saying that we have an elite coach. What we're saying is that we have a good coach, and probably the best coach available.

#85 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPip
      • 1,297 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

Yeah mchale did a decent enough job to be back next season. Some of his rotations/substitutions weren't great but we aren't that deep either. This is basically the first season all these guys have been toghether and seeing significantly more minutes and it showed in crunch time last night and most other crunch time moments but that can be adjusted. Anther star would be great however unlikely but depth issues can and most likely will be fixed this summer via FA and draft.

#86 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 236 posts
        • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

We have an inexperienced coach who has NOT had the time to play with his recruits, to steal an analogy from college ball.

JG - what about Whoopi?  She turned the Knicks around....

#87 morningdew

morningdew

• Members
        • Pip
        • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

I agree with rahat wholeheartedly, and I share and experienced the exact emotion last night, after seeing every Rox game of this season.

I strongly believe the advance matrix (Morey) and algorithmic have found us a team of smart bball player that can mesh well into a unique type of play that can barely be replicated elsewhere, just like the Spurs. When assessing this team's potential, I do not think it is a simple math of addition, and i do not think you can solely judge from experience and draft position. I believe in synergy and discipline in a system, in a team sport, which can do magic. We do not often have lots of muscle and hops, but we can move the ball quick and get easy baskets, outsmarting those with superior strength and quickness. 

The smart basketball that ran NYC (twice), LA (twice), Chi-town, Memphis, Clippers, Hawks, Warrior, Utah out of floors did not involve in a guy dwelling with the ball on top of the key for 20 sec, ended by making desperation shots/passes one after another to waste the possession and kill the momentum. It has been a beautiful flowing system that involves all 5 players, with constant body movement, unselfishly sharing the ball, and finding open man, and finishing the play with ease and grace. It is so satisfying for us fans to see at times that all our starters cheering on the bench with fun and style, and being the happiest basketball team that we have been missed for several seasons in a row.....

The bad-looking iso mode is the complete opposite of the beautiful and smart brand of basketball  it is almost disgusting to watch at times, but it keeps hunting the fans back, as the team offense often revert back to iso mode during a tight game, and the clutch time. The stagnant mode do come with varieties though, such as PG bring the ball up, hand pass to your 2nd best scorer, and another hand pass to your iso hero with 20sec left to iso. Or starting with a coach's timeout, and an inbound pass, with your PG screening for your 5, who in turn set a screen to ensure the ball to reach the hand of full-bloomed iso plays. What is so discerning is the outcome for the most of iso possession ends up inefficient, but with a team heavily relying on statistics, this is so obviously against any rational statistic analysis. I think even any reasonable rox fan that have seen enough games this season can easily reach to this conclusion: iso ball kills our momentum, stops our brand of bball, and does favor to the opponent teams.  

Fatigue, inexperience? those definitely are contributing factors, since we, nor our coaches, can not overcome these overnight. I dreamed of something last night that may help to execute our free-flow offense without deferring to hero-iso-ball. I think we need a truly democratic system without any sort of ranking or hierarchy, we do not need some one thinks he is the top dog, and plays with a chip on shoulder, and often looks down at teammates. Of course, team defers to the hot hand, and the favorite matchups, but team do this with respects, unselfishness, sharing, and of course, a supervising power (coach) that is well-respected by all the player to enforce the operation of the system, sort of like JVG, who showed great appreciation of some of our better plays last night, but not sure whether he is the right option or not. 

I wish I can find a way to shout into the head of Morey, or Mac, or Harden: we have a capable team to give out a fight against anyone, but the iso hero ball is killing the nerve of rockets fans. I do not normally write things in English, but I so need an outlet to let go my frustration after last night. Thanks for bearing with me. 

-morningdew

#88 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
          • 1,547 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:18 AM

morningdew: 

I do not normally write things in English, but I so need an outlet to let go my frustration after last night. Thanks for bearing with me. 

Your English is fine.  Thanks for your thoughts and thanks for joining us.  Hope you'll stick around.

#89 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,597 posts
            • LocationAlabama

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:23 AM

Phil's available. He can be assistant GM and head coach. He can get some "experience" under Morey and show the rest of the league that he has what it takes to be a GM and we'll get a top 3 coach all time. Where else is there a better spot? Miami's set. OKC's set, barring an epic collapse. Houston's the best spot for him.

Why so Serious? :D

#90 Richards

Richards

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 393 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:26 AM

McHale is a so so coach and you got the so so results. 

#91 Richards

Richards

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 393 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:29 AM

which lineup have a better output -

Bigger - Harden/Garcia/Delfino/Smith/Asik

or 

Smaller - Bev/Lin/Parsons/TJ/D-Mo

#92 datruth

datruth

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 162 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:31 AM

In professional sports there will always be changes. No team stays the same in the new age of sports. We made excuses last year for Mchale losing 7 out of his last 9 games  last year. Now he has A new team with better talent, but the same inconsistent Mchale.  What makes Mchale special when I see other coaches getting fired after one year with a team. I see other situation where coaches are being fired after two years. What makes any one think he will do things different next year?  This year I've seen Mchale bench Lin, Parsons, Omer, and everybody else while Harden did what he wanted and when he wanted to do it.The Nba champions of last year added and deleted from their  team this year. The super bowl champs Baltimore Ravens  lost half their defense for next year.  This is not the old days where players stay together for 6 and 7 years. I disagree when people say we need more time, we need more time. Nothing is  promise.

Last night I saw our Rockets run the same play three times in a row. We caledl a timeout and then ran the same play again. The commentators started explaining the play, before the play happen. Harden going to throw the ball to a big man and the big man is going to give it back to Harden. Same play over and over. Just extremely disappointed right now.

#93 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 3,216 posts
                  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:39 AM

I think it takes times to teach inexperienced players how to run plays, it's not like he can just say "lets run horns" and everyone will know what he means. 

#94 datruth

datruth

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 162 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:50 AM

2016, I'm confused, he ran the same play three times in a row. McHale ,called a time out and then ran the same play again.

#95 rocketswin

rocketswin

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:26 AM

good article and good points

#96 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • 3,216 posts
                      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:39 AM

2016, I'm confused, he ran the same play three times in a row. McHale ,called a time out and then ran the same play again.

It's too late in the season to teach so many inexperienced players how to run complicated plays, maybe McHale just wanted everyone to move the ball around but Harden was stopping the ball. Nobody knows for sure what happens behind the scenes, everyone here is just guessing. 

#97 RollingWave

RollingWave

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPipPip
                      • 506 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

I'd generally agree with the article, though overall it's a very successful season and the real key is where do they build from here? 

McHale's system usually works... except when it gets close and late,  so can he improve on that going forward?

I have been of the opinion that he has too much of a free pass for Harden to do whatever he wants and a lot of his dubious calls (be it weird lineups or the Harden Iso plays.) stems from that.  that needs to change to an extend, I'd really hope Harden isn't Kobe 2.0, because he's unlikely to have the same crazy health and mentality of Kobe. and a lesser Kobe is really not that ideal of a player to build around.

To be short, the bigger picture is fine. picking into detail there are problems, but there are problems to even the best coach's detail to be honest, I'd be more than willing to see what McHale and the team does next year, if he still shows no serious improvements next year, then I'd be more interested in serious discussion to replace the coach. 

Remember , this is basically a team that didn't even go to training camp together,  that they managed to run anything together well at all is already a pretty huge accomplishment. 

On last night, we did contain the Lakers' big alright especially in the first quarter, Gasol started to get to us later on with his passing as our double team just leave their guards too wide open, but in the end they didn't get past 100 in over time, the defense strategy was actually fine, it's really the offensive meltdown in the second half that killed us.  Pretty much no one scored well except Parsons, but the most glaring thing was Harden's failed isos and his multiple failed lobs to Asik

As awhole though, one should note that all this may just go back to Harden's recent health issue, he has played poorly in April in general, shooting under 40% from the floor, barely over 32% from 3 and under 80% from the line. unfortunately a worrying trend is that he also used up more plays WHILE shooting worse. not  a good combo.

#98 dream7

dream7

• Members
                        • Pip
                        • 4 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

rockets 2012-2013 clutch stats
                          last 5 mins, +/- 5 points
                                              FG              3FG             FT              TO  TS
                          Team                40.7% 83-204    35.6% 26-73     83%   93-112    36  56.2%
                          Greg Smith          100%  5-5                       75%   3-4       1   96.2%
                          James Anderson      50%   1-2                                       1   50%
                          Donatas Motiejunas  50%   1-2       50%   1-2                       0   75%
                          Jeremy Lin          48.5% 16-33     50%   5-10      82.6% 19-23     7   64.9%
                          Chandler Parsons    42.9% 12-28     46.7% 7-15      66.7% 8-12      6   58.6%
                          James Harden        40.2% 33-82     28%   7-25      85.1% 57-67     14  58.3%
                          Omer Asik           31.6% 6-19                      100%  2-2       3   35.2%
                          Carlos Delfino      29.2% 7-24      100%  4-15      100%  4-4       2   42.7%
                          Patrick Beverley    25%   2-8       40%   2-5                       2   37.5%
                          Francisco Garcia    0%    0-1       0%    0-1                       0   0%

last 4 mins, +/- 5 points
                          Team                39%   64-164    36.1% 22-61     86.5% 83-96     27  56.5%
                          Greg Smith          100%  2-2                       75%   3-4       1   93.1%
                          Jeremy Lin          57.7% 15-26     62.5% 5-8       84.2% 16-19     6   74.2%
                          Chandler Parsons    40%   8-20      50%   6-12      75%   6-8       5   59.5%
                          James Harden        37.7% 26-69     28.6% 6-21      88.3% 53-60     11  58.2%
                          Omer Asik           35.7% 5-14                      100%  2-2       2   40.3%
                          Carlos Delfino      23.8% 5-21      23.1% 3-13      100%  3-3       0   35.8%
                          Patrick Beverley    14.3% 1-7       25%   1-4                       1   21.4%

last 3 mins, +/- 5 points
                          Team                34.6% 44-127    34%   17-50     86.3% 63-73     20  52.8%
                          Greg Smith          100%  2-2                       66.7% 2-3       0   90.4%
                          Jeremy Lin          58.8% 10-17     66.7% 4-6       81.3% 13-16     6   77%
                          Chandler Parsons    40%   6-15      55.6% 5-9       83.3% 5-6       2   62.4%
                          Omer Asik           36.4% 4-11                                      2   36.4%
                          James Harden        29.4% 15-51     25%   4-16      88.9% 40-45     8   52.3%
                          Carlos Delfino      23.8% 5-21      23.1% 3-13      100%  3-3       0   35.8%
                          Patrick Beverley    0%    0-5       0%    0-3                       1   0%

last 2 mins, +/- 5 points
                          Team                37.1% 36-97     35%   14-40     85.5% 47-55     11  54.9%
                          Greg Smith          100%  2-2                       100%  2-2       0   104.2%
                          Jeremy Lin          70%   7-10      60%   3-5       78.6% 11-14     2   86.6%
                          Omer Asik           50%   3-6                                       1   50%
                          Chandler Parsons    42.9% 6-14      62.5% 5-8       75%   3-4       1   63.5%
                          James Harden        27.5% 11-40     15.4% 2-13      87.9% 29-33     5   48.6%
                          Carlos Delfino      31.3% 5-16      33.3% 3-9       100%  2-2       0   44.4%
                          Patrick Beverley    0%    0-4       0%    0-2                       1   0%

last 1 mins, +/- 5 points
                          Team                28.9%  13-45    25%   5-20      85.3% 29-34     5   50%
                          Donatas Motiejunas  100%   1-1      100%  1-1                       0   150%
                          Chandler Parsons    50%    2-4      66.7% 2-3       55%   1-2       0   71.7%
                          Omer Asik           50%    1-2                                      1   50%
                          James Harden        26.9%  7-26     11.1% 1-9       90%   18-20     2   47.4%
                          Jeremy Lin          25%    1-4      33%   1-3       80%   8-10      2   65.5%
                          Carlos Delfino      14.3%  1-7      0%    0-3       100%  2-2       0   25.4%
                          Francisco Garcia    0%     0-1      0%    0-1                       0   0%

last 30 seconds, +/- 5 points
                          Team                29.6%  8-27     26.7% 4-15      82.6% 19-23     2   52.5%
                          Chandler Parsons    50%    2-4      66.7% 2-3       55%   1-2       0   71.7%
                          James Harden        28.6%  4-14     16.7% 1-6       88.2% 15-17     1   55.9%
                          Carlos Delfino      20%    1-5      0%    0-2       100%  2-2       0   34%
                          Jeremy Lin          0%     0-2      0%    0-2       50%   1-2       1   17.4%
                          Francisco Garcia    0%     0-1      0%    0-1                       0   0%

last 10 seconds, +/- 5 points
                          Team                44.4%  4-9      50%   3-6       90%   9-10      0   74.6%
                          Chandler Parsons    100%   1-1      100%  1-1                       0   150%
                          James Harden        33.3%  2-6      33.3% 1-3       90%   9-10      0   67.3%
                          Jeremy Lin          0%     0-1      0%    0-1                       0   0%

Random stats
                          Player that played 82 games for Rockets this season: Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik

#99 Futureinterest

Futureinterest

• Members
                          • Pip
                          • 41 posts
                          • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

I think Harden has a lot of room for improvement and at this point I'm not a fan of his game.  His play seems predicated on getting ticky tack foul calls.  If he's not getting those calls then the rest of his game just shuts down.  In truth I think the whole "knack" at getting free throws thing is really just a form of offensive flopping.  He intentionally just runs into guys and throws up shots or sticks the ball out hoping for a hack.  As a fan watching the game, that style of play is annoying and frustrating to watch and always has been.  He's only 23 though and hopefully he will learn to dedicate himself to defense and cut back on his poor decision making.

This last game was especially difficult to watch.  Watching Harden make a dumb non-shooting foul on Blake at mid court that led to 2 charity pts was unacceptable.  Watching him consistently pound the ball for the entire shot clock and then dump it off at the last second so someone else had to make a wild shot was maddening.  Lin seemed to be on the receiving end of that short stick a number of times.  It didn't help that his own coach iced him when up to that point he was pretty effective.  Watching Harden force bad passes and blame his teammates pissed me off.  Asik is offensively limited, everyone knows that, you have to know where he likes the ball and deliver it in that manner.  Watching him fail to use picks to iso it up was just plain dumb.  P/R and ball movement was straight up abandoned. Watching him drive intentionally into bodies and looking for fouls instead of trying to make the shot is always annoying...  

The most frustrating part of it is that all of these things though should be fixable.  Yet you see it time and time again over the year... sometimes as in this last game with the same failed play after failed play. Which makes me think either Harden is not very coachable or the coaches are simply enablers.  I loved McHale the player.  He was a horrible GM.  That is pretty cut and dry.  Is he a bad coach? No.  Is he a good coach?  Maybe.  Is he the guy that can get this team to the next level? Doubt it.  I've had more "WTH is the coach thinking" moments this year than any other year I can recall.  The fact that the team overachieved from initial expectations means he isn't a bad coach though and that he will stick around.  The bar was pretty low this year but now it's been raised.  Anyways, I'm hoping we don't go 4-0 to the Thunder... but after the way we ended this season... doubt it.

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”― Mahatma Gandhi

#100 sli

sli

• Members
                          • Pip
                          • 21 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:24 AM

I think it takes times to teach inexperienced players how to run plays, it's not like he can just say "lets run horns" and everyone will know what he means. 

If you would like to give McHale a pass and chock it up to young players not executing, that's ok. Personally I find it hard to believe that NBA players, even rookies, don't know how to run plays, especially most of them came out of very good college basketball programs. Three timeouts in a row they were scared stiff and couldn't run the play as diagrammed by the Coach?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users