Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cointurtlemoose : (21 November 2015 - 06:39 AM) McHale might not have been a great coach, but he definitely was NOT the problem with this team...
@  majik19 : (21 November 2015 - 02:31 AM) our team is just embarassing
@  cointurtlemoose : (19 November 2015 - 07:11 AM) That was the most Corey Brewer thing I have ever seen
@  majik19 : (19 November 2015 - 04:20 AM) how the hell did that happen? maybe just switching from McHale to JB will change our bad luck...
@  Willk : (19 November 2015 - 03:58 AM) in my face
@  bboley24 : (19 November 2015 - 03:55 AM) So that just happened
@  Cooper : (19 November 2015 - 03:53 AM) got the win
@  Willk : (19 November 2015 - 02:06 AM) fire McHale! playing like crap again
@  SadLakerFan : (18 November 2015 - 06:21 PM) It's unfair, but it's the right move because it's the only move major move they had available to them. But, it seems just a tad premature - I wonder what was really said in the player meeting.
@  majik19 : (18 November 2015 - 06:03 PM) So much for building off continuity now that the core is in place... It's probably about time for another "Morey's Plan" article from Rahat.
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:26 PM) No problem. He definitely made it clear that changes will continue to be made until we are winning again.
@  cointurtlemoose : (18 November 2015 - 05:19 PM) Thanks for the link, txtdo; good words from Morey, I thought
@  cointurtlemoose : (18 November 2015 - 05:14 PM) Wow, I expected this 6 or 7 games from now if things didn't change... This seems a tad early. And they better have a replacement actually in mind and ready to hire, otherwise this seems like a misguided move
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:13 PM) Its going on right now.
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 05:13 PM) http://api.viglink.c...9&title=Rockets Press Conference 11am - ClutchFans&txt=http://www.khou.com/videos/news/loca...7/29/12651418/
@  slick shoes : (18 November 2015 - 05:12 PM) Anyone know where to listen in to the DM press conference?
@  DenverRocket : (18 November 2015 - 04:50 PM) Shocked too, but then again not. Something had to give. I can't see JB being given the reins f/t. Surely they have a contingency? Thibs?
@  txtdo1411 : (18 November 2015 - 04:48 PM) I wonder if the plan is to find a replacement fairly quickly, or to give JB a shot. I'm trying to understand how things would change, since JB has been in the locker room all year. The players are going to give him effort now just because McHale is gone?
@  majik19 : (18 November 2015 - 04:22 PM) just shocked. I feel like this is now a lost season. We were struggling under McHale, but do we really think J.B. can lead us to a championship?
@  thenit : (18 November 2015 - 04:19 PM) Its becoming a winner or becoming Melo, great scorer but not coachable

Photo

The day after, and three days away: Reflecting upon Houston's complete collapse

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#61 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

You mistake "lost on coaching" with "lost on youth and inexperience"

that's your opinion and I respect that. however I don't agree

What talent? Talk about our CURRENT talent compared to other teams, not POTENTIAL. There are lottery teams with more CURRENT talent than we have.

who?

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#62 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

I could go back and pull 6 to 8 games they should've never won except that they rose to the challenge. This give and take happens in an NBA season, we both know that rockets best fan.

really? give me couple of examples

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#63 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

I could go back and pull 6 to 8 games they should've never won except that they rose to the challenge. This give and take happens in an NBA season, we both know that rockets best fan.

Yep, especially with such a young team.

#64 Jason

Jason

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 361 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

Clippers game for one

#65 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
      • 2,321 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

You are a smart fan and I am busy but I will give you three Atlanta, the Laker win and the win versus OKC. Like I said you're a smart fan and we both know it all evens out after 82 games.

How sweet it is!

#66 Jason

Jason

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 361 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

You are a smart fan and I am busy but I will give you three Atlanta, the Laker win and the win versus OKC. Like I said you're a smart fan and we both know it all evens out after 82 games.

He will probably say that those were won by the players but the losses were on McHale. Lol

#67 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 4,186 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

I'm more interested in the games we lost due to coaching....can we get a run down of those, please?

What about our run of luck earlier in the season when we kept catching teams with injured star players?

What about losses due to ridiculous last shots that somehow went in?...and the same for wins...

What about the complaint against McHale's defense when it is widely known that Kelvin Sampson (a popular replacement) is in charge of the defense?  (sidenote--I thought our defense (excluding 3 pt. defense...still do not understand this) was exceptional against the lakers).

Our record is an amalgamation of so many factors.  McHale is but one.  He and everyone on this staff and team tout the freedom he gives them to "take ownership" of their part of the team.  If it's him making bone-head declarations and decisions why has no one voiced anything to the contrary?  He wants the players to take ownership of the team--if "his" plays are so bad why are they not pushing for an alternative?  It was mentioned earlier, and I am of the same mind, that McHale is letting them learn the hard way.

And this--for all of us...

ngbbs510a142b90859.jpg

#68 teko

teko

• Members
        • Pip
        • 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

Here is Harden's FG% this season. Data taken from: http://espn.go.com/n...houston-rockets

==========
          11  41.2  
          12  46.3  
           1  52.9  
           2  42.9  
           3  38.9  
           4  39.0  
          ==========

The trend can best be seen in a plot (hope it shows up correctly):

Harden's FG% 
            60+--+--+--+--+--+--+
              |
            55|        x
              |
            50|     
          %   |     x        
            45|        
              |           x     
            40|  x           x  x
              |  
            35|
              +--+--+--+--+--+--+
             10 11 12  1  2  3  4
                      Month

The most serious concern is: Harden is now consistently low at FG%. In the past two months (before the playoffs!!), he maintained at 39%.

When I did the same stat last time in late March, I spotted that Harden was following a hard fall consistently, falling from 52% to 42% to 38.9%.

I asked: How long will it take to get him back up?

So I was waiting for him to come back. Unfortunately, it didn’t happen.

Since he took a lot of shots, his low FG% means Rox has to waste a lot of shooting chances on him. The more he shoots the less chance Rox will win. It’s a deadly poison for the team.

This happened again and again and again and again. I spotted this, most Rox fans spotted this. But obviously McHale doesn’t. It seems to me that McHale wants Harden to shoot until his FG% goes back up. It’s amazing to see how McHale kept crashing his heads against the wall so many times without the realization that his head is softer than the wall.

#69 Futureinterest

Futureinterest

• Members
          • Pip
          • 41 posts
          • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

First of all...
          Hi. You guys have a solid forum.

I'm a Maryland alum and became a Houston fan back when Francis came to the rockets.  

It's been a very interesting year and I think they have certainly exceeded expectations from the beginning of the year.  Considering the expectations from the beginning of the year... the team overachieved.  Which would normally equate to the coach doing a good job.  

However, when you look at this roster more carefully you begin to realize that they have a ton of talent.  Morey made some great moves this past year that has brought a ton of excitement back to the rockets.  So although some think they overchieved this year... based on early year expectations... If you've been watching throughout the year you can see that this team when handled appropriately could play competitively with anyone.  It's rare when you watch a game and think to yourself "WTH is that coach thinking??"  That has happened more times this year to me when watching Rocket's games than any other year I can remember.  That's not a good thing... and yah I can give McHale a pass this year since he's got a team that is inexperienced... and yah his daughter died, which I cannot even fathom...  So I'll watch next year as well and support McHale but at this point, I wouldn't mind if they brought another coach.

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”― Mahatma Gandhi

#70 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,186 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

For what it's worth, the Rockets went 7-7 while McHale was gone and Sampson was coaching the team. (Nov. 10 - Dec. 8).  Only 2 of those wins were against playoff teams (Lakers and Knicks).  Not sure what it says, but I'm sure someone will find something :)

#71 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,008 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

For what it's worth, the Rockets went 7-7 while McHale was gone and Sampson was coaching the team. (Nov. 10 - Dec. 8). Only 2 of those wins were against playoff teams (Lakers and Knicks). Not sure what it says, but I'm sure someone will find something :)

Sampson is an average coach. McHale is better (this year).

#72 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 2,008 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

For what it's worth, the Rockets went 7-7 while McHale was gone and Sampson was coaching the team. (Nov. 10 - Dec. 8). Only 2 of those wins were against playoff teams (Lakers and Knicks). Not sure what it says, but I'm sure someone will find something :)

Sampson is an average coach. McHale is better (this year).

#73 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 3,216 posts
              • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

Pat Riley didn't fire Spoelstra after his first year, they were patient with him and it paid off. I think McHale deserves the same patience, he works hard and the players all seem to love him.  

#74 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 2,008 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

Pat Riley didn't fire Spoelstra after his first year, they were patient with him and it paid off. I think McHale deserves the same patience, he works hard and the players all seem to love him.

Spoelstra has nude photos of Riley, an Riley couldn't fire him. See SVG firing circa 2005.

#75 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 263 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

This is what I am a proponent of.  And I technically view this as his first year coaching.  Coaches improve the most and become good when they have consistent players that they can figure out how to best get them to work together.  While McHale has coached in four different seasons, Parsons and Greg Smith combine for the most total returning minutes from one season to the next. Kinda a hard to learn how to play chess when the pieces keep switching movement patterns.

#76 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,162 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

He will probably say that those were won by the players but the losses were on McHale. Lol

you got a crystal ball or something :lol:

#77 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,162 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

Spoelstra has nude photos of Riley, an Riley couldn't fire him. See SVG firing circa 2005.

funny :lol:

#78 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 4,162 posts
                  • Locationhouston

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

I agree to some extent. however a good coach can make the seesaw lean our way

#79 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 3,216 posts
                  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

Kinda a hard to learn how to play chess when the pieces keep switching movement patterns.

Good analogy. 

a good coach can make the seesaw lean our way

Bad analogy. 

#80 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,597 posts
                  • LocationAlabama

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

There's just such a disparity between Mchale and the elite tier of coaches(pop Phil etc...) that we don't want mediocrity. Is that wrong?

Why so Serious? :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users