Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

Huq's Pen: Finally

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

I'm surprised someone mentioned RSPM, it's a very questionable stat though. Kyle Lowry is ranked 12th.

I agree with JG's notion that Cp3 might not be what we need. Lin is actually turning out to be pretty damn good, on both ends of the floor.

#22 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

We all like Chris Paul, but is he what this team needs?  I just can't wrap my head around what he will bring to the table that makes us significantly better....will we suddenly start averaging 120 ppg?  It is Harden who continues to be Mr. Turnover.  Lin has gotten his TO problem mostly under control.  Will Paul's bounce passes be so much better that Asik will never fumble them?  I don't mean to come across sardonically, but I think he is a redundancy and his value above what we already have at the position is limited given that it is already an area of strength.

A couple of months ago--shortly after Beverley's arrival--I did a comparison between the backcourt duo of Paul and Bledsoe versus Lin and Bev by production....the numbers, parred out to 48 min. production...were nearly identical.  From what I understand, Paul's defense is nothing to write home about so, again, what are we adding besides "stardom", a bigger contract, and veteran experience?  I know he can do a lot of amazing things on the offensive end...but so can Lin...I'm just not convinced the upgrade is as big as one might think.

Further, I still think we have yet to see Lin's ceiling.  I have high hopes for next year and expect that he is going to show marked improvement across the board. 

Should Paul come on board, I do hope we retain Lin as a back up, combo-guard behind Paul and Harden and he can take the 6th man role.  There is just too much to like about him to toss him aside.

Rollingwave, I agree that one has to question whether Paul is over-rated :o  Yup, I said it.  He has played on teams with enough talent that, if he is as good as perceived, should have accomplished more.  Technically, they are in 5th place in the West right now on a team with loads of talent.  I'm not saying he isn't a great PG, but that raises concerns for me.  Let's see how this year goes, but right now I'm on the fence and leaning...

while I disagree you make some very good points...........this is pretty close to the argument I have been pushing on j-smith....ie not enough of an upgrade based on needs verse cost.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#23 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Like JG said though, you could say that about anyone who's not Lebron. Lets be realistic.

#24 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

RBF, that does make sense.  I still love the idea of signing Smith, but at this point I will be content with the Rockets addressing their needs vs. signing a "star"--we already know this team is pretty good and no where near its ceiling--we also know that an elite wing defender and a back up center are needed.  I think we have enough talent to not sign a star and just fill those gaps with above average players...I think Lin can be that second star....Parsons looks like a better version of Jeff Hornacek (Boooooo!)  Surely one of the PF's can reach a top 10 level and Asik is Asik!!!

Like I said, I still like Smith as I see him being the "perfect fit", but I'll be happy with the other plan too...I still love signing Dwight and making him play PF like a bulldozer on offense and the best weak side defender in the world next to asik.  Spacing be damned!  That would be awesome.

#25 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Bench players is not of godly importance because when we get to the playoffs all our starters play more minutes. Plus, instead of blowing 5m on a back-up center, lets keep in mind that this is the last time we will every have alot of cap space. But this won't be the last time we can spend 5m on back-up players (we will have the MLE in the future). The way I see it, even if Josh Smith and Millsap are not our first option, they are still valuable assets that can be used in a trade package to get a player we want (and it can be a 3-team-trade). I know people here think no one will want them, but I strongly disagree.

#26 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

I'm with you that Smith is trade-able...especially if he signs around $14M.

#27 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

RBF, that does make sense.  I still love the idea of signing Smith, but at this point I will be content with the Rockets addressing their needs vs. signing a "star"--we already know this team is pretty good and no where near its ceiling--we also know that an elite wing defender and a back up center are needed.  I think we have enough talent to not sign a star and just fill those gaps with above average players...I think Lin can be that second star....Parsons looks like a better version of Jeff Hornacek (Boooooo!)  Surely one of the PF's can reach a top 10 level and Asik is Asik!!!

Like I said, I still like Smith as I see him being the "perfect fit", but I'll be happy with the other plan too...I still love signing Dwight and making him play PF like a bulldozer on offense and the best weak side defender in the world next to asik.  Spacing be damned!  That would be awesome.

I agree addressing team needs outweigh signing players in positions of strength, but it's hard to pass on cp3 if we get the chance :P there is the argument of getting the stars 1st then change the role players around them to better suit them. the rockets are still evolving. what you see now is not the final product. to continue that evolution means changes to all parts of our game offensively and defensively. as we acquire more talent those players will change the way we play. stars make this process easier. because we have only 1 superstar the foundation of our team is not yet set. whatever position the next star we acquire plays will profoundly change the way we play depending on that players strengths and weaknesses. I am more in line with this........get the star 1st and work out the details later. as long as he doesn't play harden position every star must be given consideration. (IMO) if we are going to operate from the 2 star system...we need to megastars. cp3 is just such a star (IMO) along with d12, LeBron, melo, durrant, wade just to name a few. this (IMO) gives us the best chance to have multiple years of championship contention.  

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#28 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

This could also turn out exactly how it did for CP3. A team w/ good players  yet never gets too far in the playoffs. CP3 adds that stardom, yes, but w/ that stardom comes one of the best closers in the nba for the 4th quarter. He is someone the defense has to take account for...much more so than they do for Lin. 

And that is something to keep in mind -- the nba is still, at the heart of it, a 5 on 5 game. That is it. Just 5 players on the court at any one time. Having one of the best PGs of all time, in his prime, w/ a rising star SG...you just have to roll the dice with that.

All the successful teams in the nba today employ that star model -- all have at least 2 superstars. I can't think of a team going into the finals this yr that does not have at least two. As great as Lin and Asik and Parsons are, they are not yet in that category, and chances are, will not reach that category (they might, but more likely than not fall short of it). 

I would be very sad to lose Lin...I think he is a great teammate, has great potential, and brings a lot to his role while constantly improving. And I would say CP3 is in a way slightly more redundant to the team than say D12 would be (sry Asik). But I definitely agree w/  RBF. One of the best 4th quarter closers who can ALWAYS tear apart another team's offense...who can draw that double and be the focus of the other team when it matters...games and championships are won and lost on a handful of points. On one or two buckets...that upgrade could mean all the difference.

#29 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

@phaketrash

the point you brought up about the double team cp3 is able to draw. I would like to expand on that a little. no doubt the only way to slow cp3 down is the double to get the ball out of his hands. however this is exactly where he would take us to the next level. teams can usually double 1 man and survive, but couldn't afford to double both cp3 and harden. that will always create mismatches on the floor. considering the youngsters we have at PF....can you imagine cp3 feeding the masses.

#30 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

I hear ya...for me, I think Lin can get us close to CP3's production by next year's playoffs (optimism alert).  You know I don't much care for standard convention and while the two star model is proven it does not mean that the cat can only be skinned that way.  I think Lin and Harden form arguably the best guard duo by the end of next season...if there is a Parsons/Howard/Asik combo behind them (yes, I play Howard at the 4 and then at back-up center while asik rests) then we destroy.  I just don't feel like we need anymore offense--we need defense.  This is half of why Kevin Love has little interest to me these days (that and his injury prob).

CP3 drawing double teams is a good point, but the rockets offense is designed to create double teams through penetration so I'm not certain a wing player that automatically draws them is of much concern.  Now, a post player that could demand a double is a different story.

#31 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

I hear ya...for me, I think Lin can get us close to CP3's production by next year's playoffs (optimism alert).  You know I don't much care for standard convention and while the two star model is proven it does not mean that the cat can only be skinned that way.  I think Lin and Harden form arguably the best guard duo by the end of next season...if there is a Parsons/Howard/Asik combo behind them (yes, I play Howard at the 4 and then at back-up center while asik rests) then we destroy.  I just don't feel like we need anymore offense--we need defense.  This is half of why Kevin Love has little interest to me these days (that and his injury prob).

CP3 drawing double teams is a good point, but the rockets offense is designed to create double teams through penetration so I'm not certain a wing player that automatically draws them is of much concern.  Now, a post player that could demand a double is a different story.

I'm not knocking j-lin. however he will never be the player cp3 is now. I do believe there is more than 1 way to skin a cat, but the easier it can be done the better(IMO). I'm not worried about so much the changes in the offense as I am the potentcy of the attack. I agree d-12 is a better fit for the team we already have in place. however I think cp3 can add just as much to the team, but in a different way. the combination of cp3, harden, parsons...on the wing will make for tuff matchups for opposing teams nightly. YES... we need defensive help, but that can be found in cheaper packages than offensive power plants. in addition whatever we are able to flip lin for will also add to the mix. that's a win/win for us. it's probably all a moot point because I don't think cp3 will be leaving LA. however if he does we need to be beating his door down trying to get in to talk to him.

#32 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

Hey, how about getting excited about how far this team can get this year and stop thinking about "what if..." for a couple of months? We'll have plenty of time to think about that. This year's plan was to get a bit worse to get much better in the long haul, but it turns out we already got better and we made the playoffs for the first time in four years, so....let's focus on this year's team and root for them THIS YEAR!

#33 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

Hey, how about getting excited about how far this team can get this year and stop thinking about "what if..." for a couple of months? We'll have plenty of time to think about that. This year's plan was to get a bit worse to get much better in the long haul, but it turns out we already got better and we made the playoffs for the first time in four years, so....let's focus on this year's team and root for them THIS YEAR!

I'm incline to agree, however rarely do this threads stay on topic pass a page or so. it's so easy to start discussing another point and rather than create a new thread we just let the conversation flow. make no mistake about it....I am loving the rocket ride right now. there has been a playoff drought around here and I see some playoff rain on the horizon.

#34 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

I know, I tend to derail myself too sometimes, but even though we might be one and out, I'm very excited about seeing the Rox playing playoff ball for the first time in a while. The thing is even if we face the Nuggets and they beat us 4-0, I'm fully convinced we are giving them a hell of a run for their money.

Also, even with all those advantages of having someone like CP3 running the team, he still has some pressure (from the outside and selfimposed) to win something. On the other hand, Lin has nothing to lose at this point, which makes him dangerous as well. Just like this season goal: we might get ahead of schedule as well :D incredible has happened before!

#35 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

Not to get back on topic of being off topic lol, but CP3's $2M discount from Howard's max price tag is nice as well. Moving Lin and TRob and maaaaaybe White (like a bad contract w/ one of those) for almost nothing could net both CP3 at $18M and JSmoove at $14M or so. Okay, highly doubtful we can clear the room for that, but Millsap at $12M is very easy. 

Does that assuage anyone's concerns when it comes to more defense on the team? Millsap would help steady our defense at the 4, even if he is not at JSmith's level. CP3 is a better defender than Lin, and Parsons can prob expend a little less energy on the offensive end (and maybe more on defense) w/ that stacked starting lineup.

But I also agree, in a vacuum, Howard is a better fit on our current team than CP3, but lot more moving pieces become available that can help in our areas of need if we somehow got CP3 (through some magix).

#36 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

I know, I tend to derail myself too sometimes, but even though we might be one and out, I'm very excited about seeing the Rox playing playoff ball for the first time in a while. The thing is even if we face the Nuggets and they beat us 4-0, I'm fully convinced we are giving them a hell of a run for their money.

Also, even with all those advantages of having someone like CP3 running the team, he still has some pressure (from the outside and selfimposed) to win something. On the other hand, Lin has nothing to lose at this point, which makes him dangerous as well. Just like this season goal: we might get ahead of schedule as well :D incredible has happened before!

actually I'm hopping we face Denver. I agree we might get thumped, but the experience gained can only be considered a plus. we are about to get a look at a better version of us as for as the uptempo game.  this will test us defensively. while I expect us to put up a nice fight....Denver is a little further along on the road to contending. however this series will teach us the importance of playing defense, cutting turnovers down, taking good shots and how too perform when the bright lights of playoff basketball come on. that's more important than trying to find an easy opponent.

as for lin....I still like him, but cp3 is CP3.   

#37 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

Agree on both: Denver is like our big brother and we should learn how to beat them first in order to pretend to beat them all. And hands down, CP3 is a no-brainer if you have the possibility of bringing him to Houston, but my PG now is Lin (just like McHale is my coach now).

#38 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

Not to get back on topic of being off topic lol, but CP3's $2M discount from Howard's max price tag is nice as well. Moving Lin and TRob and maaaaaybe White (like a bad contract w/ one of those) for almost nothing could net both CP3 at $18M and JSmoove at $14M or so. Okay, highly doubtful we can clear the room for that, but Millsap at $12M is very easy. 

Does that assuage anyone's concerns when it comes to more defense on the team? Millsap would help steady our defense at the 4, even if he is not at JSmith's level. CP3 is a better defender than Lin, and Parsons can prob expend a little less energy on the offensive end (and maybe more on defense) w/ that stacked starting lineup.

But I also agree, in a vacuum, Howard is a better fit on our current team than CP3, but lot more moving pieces become available that can help in our areas of need if we somehow got CP3 (through some magix).

got to agree that's a nice plan. with the acquisition of cp3 it creates other movable parts which we can use to trade for others to fill the gaps created. lets not forget we will still have asik. for all practical purposes he is our defense right now. without him we would be seeing a parade to the bucket. so believing we would be worse defensively is unrealistic. however with the newly tradable pieces we may be able to shore up that defense. the guy is a superstar......whether we get the best center in the league with d12 or the best PG in the league in cp3...we will still have gotten a player who is tops at his position in the league. some one explain how we lose in that situation? :rolleyes:

#39 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,125 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Agree on both: Denver is like our big brother and we should learn how to beat them first in order to pretend to beat them all. And hands down, CP3 is a no-brainer if you have the possibility of bringing him to Houston, but my PG now is Lin (just like McHale is my coach now).

you just had to bring up that coach thing huh :lol:  :lol:

#40 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

you just had to bring up that coach thing huh :lol:  :lol:

Both things are inclusive: current roster + current coach = playoff now! Having CP3 or in some people's case, (especially yours) another coach (let's say Pop just for fun) are future topics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users