Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

Is Morey signing J-Smooth as a piece for Love in 2014?

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#41 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

I agree on most of your post. at least you have not stuck your head in the sand when it comes to his faults. however most of the qualities you have listed I feel can be covered with the current PF's we have given time. also if j-smith isn't going to be #2 option then why is he worth 14 mil? we are looking for a #1 or #2 option not a #3. there are cheaper ways to get a #3. truth be told mayo is a better option for us than j-smith especially if we are only in search of a #3. I respect your opinion, but I still don't like j-smith in a rockets jersey

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#42 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

I agree on most of your post. at least you have not stuck your head in the sand when it comes to his faults. however most of the qualities you have listed I feel can be covered with the current PF's we have given time. also if j-smith isn't going to be #2 option then why is he worth 14 mil? we are looking for a #1 or #2 option not a #3. there are cheaper ways to get a #3. truth be told mayo is a better option for us than j-smith especially if we are only in search of a #3. I respect your opinion, but I still don't like j-smith in a rockets jersey

I thought you'd say that after I typed it haha, but we just need the missing piece to take us over the top (or to the edge of the wall at least). Again, I like JSmith for his defensive abilities more than his offensive ones. By #1 or #2, I was mostly thinking about on offense. 

And maybe in time our PFs can do those things, but then why not spend the $14M on JSmith? The key words there are in time. This large of cap space effectively disappears in 2 seasons, and doing this will mean we don't have to give up our PFs, even if they get a bit less playing time. They might not even lose playing time if we deal one of them for assets/cap space, as we should. Having 3-4 PFs is really unnecessary. Some will be dealt sooner or later -- if we hold onto them too long, we might be trading a known dud...hold onto them not long enough, we might be trading away a stud. That is always a tough call to make, but one I think Morey will be able to do well. So our remaining PFs would still get good enough minutes to develop and let us get a better sense of where they are at. Also keep in mind that it isn't just something our PFs can collectively do -- having the skills in 1 player > having it in 2. 

I second your opinion on OJ Mayo. How much do you think he'll ask for/get on the FA market? It'd be a coup if we could somehow sign him and JSmith (prob would have to move TRob or something, but see my above paragraph on why moving one of our young PFs is inevitable).

#43 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:30 AM

I don't disagree one of our present PF's will be moved.....most likely t-rob. I understand what j-smith brings to the table both offensively and defensively. I don't hate j-smith, but his talents can be made up in a younger cheaper way (IMO). unless we are upgrading center(which is hard to do the way asik is playing) our money is better spent in the wing positions (IMO) SURE... it's going to take some time for our PF's to pan out, but I have seen enough to believe time will fix the PF problem. however I don't feel that way at the wing positions. we need upgrades there. mayo can help no doubt, but we need more (IMO)

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#44 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:40 AM

I don't disagree one of our present PF's will be moved.....most likely t-rob. I understand what j-smith brings to the table both offensively and defensively. I don't hate j-smith, but his talents can be made up in a younger cheaper way (IMO). unless we are upgrading center(which is hard to do the way asik is playing) our money is better spent in the wing positions (IMO) SURE... it's going to take some time for our PF's to pan out, but I have seen enough to believe time will fix the PF problem. however I don't feel that way at the wing positions. we need upgrades there. mayo can help no doubt, but we need more (IMO)

That's very fair, though I'm not too sure what Plan B wing player would be. OJ Mayo would be a great addition though, or Redick...depending on their $$$. But we'd still have half the room left -- maybe a good backup C as JG once mentioned? My only concern w/ that strategy (then and now) is we'd probably be locked into it for years as well. That is a tad tenuous to do, imo. 

#45 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:51 AM

That's very fair, though I'm not too sure what Plan B wing player would be. OJ Mayo would be a great addition though, or Redick...depending on their $$$. But we'd still have half the room left -- maybe a good backup C as JG once mentioned? My only concern w/ that strategy (then and now) is we'd probably be locked into it for years as well. That is a tad tenuous to do, imo. 

no matter what we do we aren't going to be locked in outside of d12 or cp3.......we have to many movable pieces. our success this year has some teams eyeing our roster hopping they can get some young talent and trade off pieces they think don't fit with their teams. even if we sign j-smith we're not locked in. the only player we are locked into is harden and him alone will not keep us from making moves. I like Reddick, but I think he will cost to much.....I think mayo can be had for 8-10 mil per.

#46 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

Guys like Mayo we can get for the MLE in the future. But we won't always have cap space to sign a stud like Josh Smith. 

I think the problem with the people who don't think Josh Smith is worth 14m is that they are so offensive minded, they only think "he's not a 1st option or good 2nd option". But what happened to defense? If you make the defense 4 points better then isn't that worth the same as making the offense 4 points better? Either way you're 4 points better. 

#47 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:16 AM

You guys really think Mayo would go for the MLE?  I see him as an $8-$10million guy.

#48 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 891 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:29 AM

You guys really think Mayo would go for the MLE?  I see him as an $8-$10million guy.

I agree. I think he'll take at least $8-10M. Coincidentally, if JSmith and OJ Mayo each agree to $14M and $8M, respectively, we can actually do that under the cap haha. We'd have to move TRob of course and not bring back Anderson or Olbrecht...but that'd let us get to 11 + our pick, or use our MLE or something for the twelfth roster spot. That's a pretty dangerous team that at least has a fighter's chance at a title, considering they're all so young and full of potential.

Lin/Harden/Parsons/Smith/Asik backed up by Bev/Mayo/TJones/DMo/GSmith is pretty darn scary.

#49 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

I think he's worth 6-8m. 10m would be overpaying, but I won't be surprised if some team out there does. I think Morey can find a player just as good for less, there are alot of underrated players in the league who are being used wrong. Just look at how Delfino and Garcia came to the Rockets and are playing better than they did with their previous team (although McHale might deserve some credit for that).

Also, going forward, I see us using the Lin/Beverley back court a lot plus we have James Anderson so I'd rather not waste our MLE (let alone our cap space) on a back-up SG, we should use it for a back-up center.  

#50 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
    • 1,547 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:39 AM

If I'm not mistaken, teams that are under the cap do not have an MLE.  At least that was the case in the old CBA.  I have not spent enough time learning the new CBA.

#51 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,216 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:47 AM

When I'm talking about using our MLE in the future, I'm talking about next year and after with the assumption we will use our cap space this year. 

#52 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,122 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:15 AM

I think he's worth 6-8m. 10m would be overpaying, but I won't be surprised if some team out there does. I think Morey can find a player just as good for less, there are alot of underrated players in the league who are being used wrong. Just look at how Delfino and Garcia came to the Rockets and are playing better than they did with their previous team (although McHale might deserve some credit for that).

Also, going forward, I see us using the Lin/Beverley back court a lot plus we have James Anderson so I'd rather not waste our MLE (let alone our cap space) on a back-up SG, we should use it for a back-up center.  

the question isn't what he's worth.....the question is what will it take to get him? if other teams are willing to pay 10 mil then it takes 10 mil to get him. I don't think he would be giving us  a discount......at least not that much.  as for lin/bev backcourt I see it as temporary....and done only when the matchups dictate. as for Anderson I am disappointed in him this season.....I liked him with the spurs, but I have not seen that same player since he has been here. maybe it's going to take some time for him, but I am very disappointed.

#53 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,216 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:26 AM

Considering how our weakness is defense and the PF position, and our strength is offense and the SG position, shouldn't Josh Smith be much more appealing than Mayo? 

#54 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,122 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:35 AM

Considering how our weakness is defense and the PF position, and our strength is offense and the SG position, shouldn't Josh Smith be much more appealing than Mayo? 

if you are as good at your job as you are in trying to make everyone like j-smith you're probably up for promotion huh! even if we sign j-smith he alone won't solve all of our defensive problems

#55 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,216 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:45 AM

And Mayo will? 

I'm not trying to make anyone like anybody, just having a discussion in a discussion forum lol

#56 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,122 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:52 AM

And Mayo will? 

I'm not trying to make anyone like anybody, just having a discussion in a discussion forum--forgive me lol

NO he won't, but he will add qualities we don't have present unlike j-smith who will only be duplicating qualities we already have or will have shortly with the PF's we have. simple as this j-smith would be signing a player at a position we already have talent whereas mayo can help in a spot we need more help in. I'm not saying mayo should be plan A or B I'm saying he would be better for our team than j-smith

#57 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 891 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:53 AM

I think JSmith actually solves as many of our defensive problems as the addition of any one single player can do (short of someone like Lebron lol). None of our rookies at the PF have shown even anything CLOSE to what JSmith would bring to our defensive end immediately. Maybe TRob, in some imaginative future (if he even stays). For our PF rooks' defensive abilities, at best it is simply potential; at worst, it will never even be as good. 

But again, no point in arguing Mayo vs. JSmith when you could in theory sign both! :P

#58 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,122 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:05 AM

I think JSmith actually solves as many of our defensive problems as the addition of any one single player can do (short of someone like Lebron lol). None of our rookies at the PF have shown even anything CLOSE to what JSmith would bring to our defensive end immediately. Maybe TRob, in some imaginative future (if he even stays). For our PF rooks' defensive abilities, at best it is simply potential; at worst, it will never even be as good. 

But again, no point in arguing Mayo vs. JSmith when you could in theory sign both! :P

I think d-12 solves our defensive problems more than any other player. asik is great, but d-12 blocks shots and is an even better rebounder. I know what I'm suggesting isn't popular.........(waiting for the PF's we have to fill the void in that position) especially with this much cap  room just burning our hands, but I think if we truly want to go to the next level (championship contenders) we must build from a foundation of youth. we are doing that. however part of building this way is you must let the young talent develop. I want to use the cap room too, but only on pieces that fit with the youngsters we have. we are loaded at PF (IMO), but we do have other positions of need............this is not an endorsement of any one player or move I think we should make....just discussing team needs.......imagine if we had a better player in delfino's role how many games we could have won extra on nights delfino  was tossing up bricks? if we weren't trying to grow our talent we could have kept ppat and mm at that position and got better  production....point being we have decided to take this path lets give it time to blossom b4 we start tossing money at it. j-smith is going to clog the PF position. the way to get stronger is to build up the weak positions not kept adding to positions of strength. b4 you guys go off I know we are weak at PF right now, but we got a few hungry young studs that after a summer of work may make us forget we were even discussing this. I'm all for team improvement however j-smith talents could fit with us ....yes, but the price of holding back our young talent combined with what he will cost is a no go in my book. j-smith isn't going to make us some darkhorse invader for the championship......he's going to make us a 4-5 seed who goes home in the 2nd round every year just like the hawks do. I want more than that. there are other young rising teams we must fight for the prize.....golden state, clippers, Denver....and OKC ain't going away soon. if we want to beat them we must think the  batman+superman plan not the batman+batgirl+alfred :lol: that might be over the head of some of the younger members...sorry. :rolleyes:

#59 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,125 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:30 AM

This conversation is out of control. :-)

You guys are going back and forth over this and i must interject. If we aren't looking at this in a non-traditional way then we're losing sight of the future of this game. If we bring in josh smith it will be to play small forward.

Here's the new look: combo guard, combo guard, sf, sf, center/pf. We use our bench to adjust to any mismatches, but ideally it is us that teams will have to adjust to. We must let go of the traditional team format; otherwise, this plan makes less sense and would be less effective.

Lin, harden, smith, parsons, asik. That's 4 ball handlers, 2 elite defenders, 2 above average defenders,and harden :(. That is being able to switch on defense without giving up a mismatch. That is 4 capable passers. That is 5 players capable of dominating a game (each has done it).

In this scenario our bench is like batman's utility belt--there to augment his standard awesomeness with whatever the situation requires (even if it is shark repellent ;)

Meanwhile, opponents struggle to score, everybody is dishing assists to everyone else, morey scores another notch in the bedpost, McHale gets coach of the year, and i say, "i told you so" about 12 too many times :-)

#60 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,122 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:35 AM

and then you wake up..... I've had that dream b4 :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users