Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.

Photo

The Bash McHale thread

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#21 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:14 AM

Mchale sucks they need to bring in a quality coach like Keith smart or vinny del negro :)

#22 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,596 posts
    • LocationAlabama

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:36 AM

According to Mchale apologists, team record is the only factor to look at. So Vinny Del Negro is a LOT better coach than Mchale.

Why so Serious? :D

#23 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,123 posts
    • Locationhouston

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:27 AM

"Hi, I'm Bill Laimbeer.  I have NBA Championship-Hall of Fame pedigree and have lots of coaching experience with three championships under my belt (stop snickering....the WNBA is legit....seriously, stop).  What have I got to do to get a sniff of an NBA head coaching job?  I played and learned under Coach Daly and sat next to the highly revered Rick Adelman.  Seriously guys--I'm right here!"

bill-laimbeer-23jpg-61fa51b9998a9dba_med

I'm still not advocating McHale leaving, but if he was shown the door I would be very intrigued by Laimbeer.  I think he would command the same respect McHale does and he's proven he can coach at a high level (stop snickering ;)).

EDIT: updated bio

JG I don't know if you are making a joke or not, but bill is interesting and so is Sampson.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#24 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,216 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:32 AM

The biggest criticism I have of McHale is his guard rotation. I think Lin should always be on the floor while Harden rests, it's so obvious that Lin plays better without Harden. That's probably the only big cricism I have though, it's not enough for me to want him fired yet. If we don't win at least 50 games and get out the first round next year, barring serious injury, then that would be enough for me to want him fired. Until then, I will just watch without judgement.

#25 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 891 posts
    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:44 AM

Tonight's last minute had me worried. Bench was too tired and game was within 5. Could have easily swung the other way for the L, and he didn't even put Lin back in for Anderson (who was atrocious from the field, though surprisingly nice handles!). Asik is a poor FT shooter, I get that, but we needed some defense and fresh (i.e., not tired) blood in there.

#26 datruth

datruth

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 162 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:59 AM

A loss tonight after a 25 point lead would have been a low point of the season. A win is a win, but why make this harder for yourself and your team. When i say we win despite Mchale. Tonight was a prime example. I gave Mchale credit for last game rotation, but then you see something like tonight. 

#27 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,123 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:01 AM

anytime you can win without harden and parsons no matter how ugly it was it still smells like a rose......it may be time for McHale to put a leash on delfino. 4-20 overall and 1-10 from 3point land ain't gonna cut it.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#28 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,216 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:13 AM

"Some young guys are getting minutes they don't deserve for developmental
      purposes"

--link

"I was getting pretty close," said McHale about considering putting Asik/Lin
      back in. Said guys on floor needed to show they can finish.

--link

#29 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 891 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:40 AM

I get why he did it, after thinking about it, but that's quite a risk. Imagine if we lost. Losing a game like that, in the context of how we lost, is SUPER deflating at the end of a long season. I can see the value of what he's trying to accomplish, but again, still quite a risk. 

#30 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 4,128 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:01 AM

JG I don't know if you are making a joke or not, but bill is interesting and so is Sampson.

I am being a little silly--I feel like this thread is the right place for it--but I do like both Sampson and Laimbeer.  Like I said--not calling for McHale's head, but if that happened I would like those guys to get serious consideration.

#31 bboley24

bboley24

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 393 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:30 AM

I really think he tries too hard to make an imprint. "im going to bench this guy to show everyone that I mean business" sort of thing.  

I am so confused as to his rotation.  We still don't have a set rotation going into the playoffs. Is he going to go with the "whomever plays hardest will get PT" thing going into the playoffs???

JLin still doesn't know when he will play come the 4th quarter.  Our powerforwards are probably pissing their pants everytime they miss a shot.  For god's sake, when will he actually see Delfino for what he really is?

Bring on Sampson.  Do it..... Do it.

#32 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,216 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:41 AM

I get why he did it, after thinking about it, but that's quite a risk. Imagine if we lost. Losing a game like that, in the context of how we lost, is SUPER deflating at the end of a long season. I can see the value of what he's trying to accomplish, but again, still quite a risk. 

As long as we make the playoffs I don't see the big deal, developing our players and preparing them for the playoffs is pretty much what the regular season is for. Obviously he's not going to bench our starters in the playoffs, if he does he will be fired. 

#33 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 3,216 posts
        • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:54 AM

I'm kind of ashamed to see how many Rockets fans are bashing McHale. Look at the facebook comments: https://www.facebook...pinions?fref=ts

And it's even worse at clutch fans. 

#34 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,123 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:01 AM

I'm kind of ashamed to see how many Rockets fans are bashing McHale. Look at the facebook comments: https://www.facebook...pinions?fref=ts

And it's even worse at clutch fans. 

We're on pace to win 46 games despite taking risks to develop our players. If you can't put a positive spin on that you're not trying hard enough. 

you mean we don't have a monopoly on it here at red94? :lol: dang what a letdown :lol:

#35 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 891 posts
        • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

As long as we make the playoffs I don't see the big deal, developing our players and preparing them for the playoffs is pretty much what the regular season is for. Obviously he's not going to bench our starters in the playoffs, if he does he will be fired. 

That wasn't my point. My point was that he took a risk. He valued the benefit the bench would get in learning to close out a game over the risk of how much morale and confidence would TANK if we had actually lost last night (and that confidence/morale hit would affect both the bench and the whole team/fan base). Those were both possibilities, and both affect how we play in the playoffs. It worked out, but I thought it was quite the risk, esp. since I don't know if it was a smart risk to take if a cost/benefit analysis were more carefully considered. Risks are fine, and part of the game/necessary, but again, I'm a bit skeptical if that was a smart risk to take at this point in the season.

I don't buy extra rest as why Lin/Asik not put back in for the last 2-3 min, as it is 2-3 min. Risk of injury is near negligible in that time frame as well.

#36 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,596 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

Don't you understand phaketrash? If you say anything remotely objective about Mchale you'll have Mchale apologists disagree with you on principle.

#37 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,596 posts
        • LocationAlabama

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

We're trying to develop guys and giving them more minutes than they deserve. Talk about being a motivator. Your coach thinks you suck(he was talking about DMo, imo). He should be in the running for COY.

#38 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPip
        • 1,865 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

That wasn't my point. My point was that he took a risk. He valued the benefit the bench would get in learning to close out a game over the risk of how much morale and confidence would TANK if we had actually lost last night (and that confidence/morale hit would affect both the bench and the whole team/fan base). Those were both possibilities, and both affect how we play in the playoffs. It worked out, but I thought it was quite the risk, esp. since I don't know if it was a smart risk to take if a cost/benefit analysis were more carefully considered. Risks are fine, and part of the game/necessary, but again, I'm a bit skeptical if that was a smart risk to take at this point in the season.

I don't buy extra rest as why Lin/Asik not put back in for the last 2-3 min, as it is 2-3 min. Risk of injury is near negligible in that time frame as well.

Actually I would disagree about the risk of injury. Don't you think a player (actually multiple in this case with Lin and Asik) who's been sitting on the bench for about 30 minutes in real time and has cooled off wouldn't pull a hammy or some other unnecessary injury by going back into the game with 1 or 2 minutes remaining?

That's what I like the most about Coach McHale, he used to play the game and he knows from experience putting in a starter at the last minute cold isn't the right way to handle the situation. Yes, I was absolutely concerned that our young guys might find a way to lose a guaranteed win, but in the end they pulled it off and nobody is hampered for the rest of the season for an unnecessary injury.

BTW, Francisco Garcia would have finished the game, not Delfino, if it weren't for his injury in the last 3 minutes or so of the game. Excess blood, maybe from the nose? I couldn't tell from where I was sitting but they were talking about that on 790 after the game.

#39 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 891 posts
          • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

Actually I would disagree about the risk of injury. Don't you think a player (actually multiple in this case with Lin and Asik) who's been sitting on the bench for about 30 minutes in real time and has cooled off wouldn't pull a hammy or some other unnecessary injury by going back into the game with 1 or 2 minutes remaining?

That's what I like the most about Coach McHale, he used to play the game and he knows from experience putting in a starter at the last minute cold isn't the right way to handle the situation. Yes, I was absolutely concerned that our young guys might find a way to lose a guaranteed win, but in the end they pulled it off and nobody is hampered for the rest of the season for an unnecessary injury.

BTW, Francisco Garcia would have finished the game, not Delfino, if it weren't for his injury in the last 3 minutes or so of the game. Excess blood, maybe from the nose? I couldn't tell from where I was sitting but they were talking about that on 790 after the game.

Not sure that hypo matters, since they hadn't been sitting on the bench for 30 minutes lol. For example, Lin was in the game through the end of the 3rd quarter. ORL got within 5 pts w/ 2+ min left, but were making the run even earlier. That's maybe 12-13 min of rest, which is not that far off from the time period a starter might get from the end of the first through the break and coming back in some time in the 2nd quarter. I would imagine the risk of injury is negligible, relative to the general rate of injury a player may face having any playing time in the nba.

And people keep going back to the fact that we actually pulled it off -- I don't understand; I'm not criticizing the end result, I'm criticizing the risk he took. I don't think it was necessarily a VERY BAD risk to take -- it was a reasonable one -- but I don't know if I agree with it.

Doing something wrong that ends in a good way does not mean you should encourage the initially wrong action lol. That's a bit too Machiavellian for me.

#40 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 3,216 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

That's working on the premise he did something wrong though, and there's nothing wrong with developing players during the regular season. I'm sure if Vucevic made that lay-up and made it a 3 point game McHale would have put at least Asik back in, but Vucevic missed that lay-up and our 2nd unit pulled though. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users