Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK
@  rockets best... : (14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM) I agree totally. I got to watch his Rocket days and the man was a hell of a player. BIG MO R.I.P.
@  Mario Peña : (13 September 2015 - 05:24 PM) Sad to see Moses pass. I don't remember watching him as a Rocket but I do remember his Philly and Hawks teams. He was the perfect man to mentor Dream. It's a very sad day for his family and friends and there are many.
@  majik19 : (12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM) i just saw a post wishing Yao Ming a happy 35th birthday... am I the only one whose mind is blown that he's only 35?
@  cointurtlemoose : (08 September 2015 - 01:17 AM) aaaah, thanks jorge
@  jorgeaam : (08 September 2015 - 12:21 AM) Love it how Hinkie and Morey always target the same players, but hoping he isn't another Covington
@  thejohnnygold : (08 September 2015 - 12:03 AM) Christian Wood has signed with Philly
@  jorgeaam : (07 September 2015 - 10:32 PM) If I'm not wrong, he hasn't been waived yet, they have until october 4th to do that
@  cointurtlemoose : (07 September 2015 - 05:39 PM) Anyone else surprised that Kostas hasn't gotten picked up by anyone yet? I wanna see that guy play somewhere
@  redfaithful : (05 September 2015 - 10:48 PM) Llull line from today loss to Serbia: 30MIN 1-10PG, 0-5 3PG, 4-4FT 6AST, 1TO, 4REB, +/- -11
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:27 AM) this dude's gun fired and all he got a misdemeanor at bush lol: http://abc13.com/new...ush-iah/815795/
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:26 AM) theres more articles all over, but the jist is houston (and texas) doesn't really arrest for it, they just recommend you leave it in your car when they catch it. So seems dwight got lucky he was in texas and not cali or the NE.
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:22 AM) honestly we should just be glad they caught it...
@  Losthief : (03 September 2015 - 02:21 AM) response: http://nymag.com/dai...n_airplane.html

Photo

New Poll about Mchale.

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

Poll: Mchale's future with the Rockets (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Mchale the Rockets coach next year?

1. Yes (24 votes [72.73%])

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

2. No (4 votes [12.12%])

Percentage of vote: 12.12%

3. Not Sure (5 votes [15.15%])

Percentage of vote: 15.15%

Should Mchale be the Rockets coach next year?

1. Yes (15 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

2. No (13 votes [39.39%])

Percentage of vote: 39.39%

3. Not sure, let's give him the rest of the season. (5 votes [15.15%])

Percentage of vote: 15.15%

What message was sent by the benching of all the starters?

1. Play Harder (9 votes [23.68%])

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

2. Play Smarter (6 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

3. No message, just giving guys rest for the Clippers. (14 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

4. I don't care what the message was, it was stupid to do it. (9 votes [23.68%])

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

are you comparing McHale to pop or Jackson? sure there are people who hate the coach in every nba city, but I don't consider myself one of them. I don't just hate for no reason. there will be decisions by any coach you can pick apart. my opinion is base more on body of work. McHale has had 2 years of coaching. i'm not going to even bring up his history b4 coming here as that has more holes in it than swiss cheese. last year, the dumpster fire that ended the season fell squarely on McHale to me. he deserved an F for failing to pull the right strings that could snap the team from its nose dive. even with that I was still on the fence. this year he has blown at least 5 games (IMO) from failure to execute proper coaching protocol. we can continue to give the man excuses or we can upgrade

This is a question towards the people calling for McHale's head, are we're supposed to be a top 3 seed or something? Are we underachieving?

I've heard this excuse to............my response......has McHale done more.ie exceeded what any other coach with this same roster would have done.........NO. so no credit given

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#42 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

I'm not saying McHale deserves credit for where we are, but he certainly doesn't deserve to be fired either.

#43 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

timetidienow1234567:

I am convinced you put this thread here just so you could hear me talk sh^t :lol: I tried to withstand the temptation, but you suck me right into the whirlpool :lol: got to be more careful about stepping on these landmines, however I am up to the task. :rolleyes:   

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#44 Richards

Richards

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

Should McHale be fired for not making top five seed? NO

Should he be fired for not makeing play-off? NO

Should we seriously consider replacing him to get better. Absolutely Yes.

#45 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 2,008 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

The question that has to be asked when firing a coach, are there people who are a better fit for the team? I honestly cannot answer that question. I love SVG as a coach. He tells it like it is, and is good at the x's and o's. But would he be a better fit for this team at this time? Probably not. He would want to change how the team plays. Morey did not hire Kevin McHale to be the X's and O's guy. McHale was hired to be a HC similar to that of the NFL. Others run the offense and defense, while McHale is the motivator. That's what Morey wants in a HC. That's the reason Adelman is no longer the coach. I think he has took a team that was suppose to win around 30 games according to all the analytics (and that's after they picked up 10 wins due to the Harden trade) and pushed the right buttons to bring playoff basketball to Houston for the first time in years (barring an absolute monstrosity of a collaspe). This team is Morey's baby, and he has the guy who he wants running this team.

#46 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 4,122 posts
      • Locationhouston

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:48 AM

it floors me that most posters talk about trades and upgrades almost everywhere on the team except coaching. just like we seek to upgrade our players we should also be thinking about upgrading coach. do we have a good coach?.....NO. so why do we hear, lets give him more time, lets hope he improves. how about this......... lets fire him and find someone who can do the job. the nba is a result business period. anything that can be done to improve those results should be seriously looked at. yet when you mention McHale it sets off a firestorm. our team has had a very good year. whether we make the playoffs or not(even tho I would be very upset if we missed out). however the question remains are we getting max bang for the buck? have we squeezed all the available juices from the fruit? in what ways can we improve so that next year we come back with a better product? player upgrades will help....no argument there. another year of experience will help.....no arguments there either. fire the coach and get someone who can get more bang for the buck.......the 1st shot across the bow has been fired to start the war.......why? even the most loyal supporter of McHale has to admit the man is a mixed bag on  coaching ability. what's wrong with discussing an upgrade there? I get labeled everything from a McHale hater to a disloyal rockets fan to a average coach hating fan in some remote nba city. all 3 views are incorrect. I just call it the way I see it and that rubs some of you the wrong way. I don't need a crystal ball or inside information to see McHale's shortcomings. I have been watching the game long enough to see signs from the outside and know what's happening inside. kind of like when you go to the store...you can tell which children have had the home training. you don't need insider information or a crystal ball.....their actions will tell you what's happening. some of you seek to make basketball more complex than it is. it's a simple game not rocket science. put the ball in the hole and keep the opposing team from doing the same......simple. reading to much into it is overthinking it. believe it or not there have been teams who won championships prior to advance stats. I am not trying to belittle stats as a useful tool to evaluate good moves, but its not an all knowing unmistakable means of evaluation. those of you who believe that have missed the boat (IMO). it is only 1 of many tools to be used. just like a mechanic has multiple tools in his tool box so should the average nba team. however some of you quote them like they are the gospel. if all that was needed to win a championship was to follow advance stats don't you think every team would make every decision according to them?  then why don't they? could it be that they know that while it is a useful tool it's not the only tool in the toolbox? some of you all even tie the worth of a player to it. again it is useful, but there are other factors such as motivation, attitude, the team on the floor around a player and whether their talents fit with his, level of competition played against, just to name a few.......not things you can see from a stat sheet.  so be careful throwing stats around as the definitive know it all. I love the context morey uses to evaluate upgrades for the team, but I bet even he would tell you stats are only a percentage of the information he reviews b4 a decision.

#47 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,216 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:55 AM

We're up 22 points against the Clippers without Harden. But T-Rob hasn't played so lets fire McHale!

#48 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,008 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:23 AM

Well RBF, all Morey cares about is advance stats. And the Memphis owner just hired John Hollinger for his advance stats. In Morey eyes, McHale is the best man for the job. It's as simple as that. In Morey I trust. And since McHale had Morey's trust, I must say, In McHale I trust.

#49 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 4,122 posts
        • Locationhouston

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

Well RBF, all Morey cares about is advance stats. And the Memphis owner just hired John Hollinger for his advance stats. In Morey eyes, McHale is the best man for the job. It's as simple as that. In Morey I trust. And since McHale had Morey's trust, I must say, In McHale I trust.

morey cares about more than advance stats, make no mistake about that. ....morey may have believed McHale was the right man at the time he sign him, but to assume we know how he feels about him now is premature.

#50 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • 2,008 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:36 AM

He hasn't fired him yet, therefore I can assume he trusts him.

#51 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 4,122 posts
          • Locationhouston

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:38 AM

he may be waiting for the right moment.....like after the season to keep from disturbing the team chemistry.

#52 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,008 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:39 AM

He traded away the entire rotation at PF, Morey doesn't care about upsetting team chemistry.

#53 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • 4,122 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:43 AM

whether you believe morey cares about team chemistry or not firing a coach midseason is something very few teams do. usually a situation has to be on a steady decline for such a move to be done. so it may just be that it's a way of doing business

#54 pharmag

pharmag

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 263 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:12 AM

POPULAR

it floors me that most posters talk about trades and upgrades almost everywhere on the team except coaching. just like we seek to upgrade our players we should also be thinking about upgrading coach. 

Here is the flaw that I see with that argument.  You are treating McHale as a known commodity (ala Delfino).  I understand that this is your opinion and you are entitled to it.  However, you are talking about a coach who has never coached a complete season as an assistant coach or even at a lower level of competition.  Prior to coming to Houston, his only coaching experience involved taking over a bad Wolves team after the previous head coach was fired mid-season.  Even last year a was not a standard full season.  Most other coaches (even hall of famers) either started out at a lower level of competition or as an assistant coach for some team.  

Furthermore, between last season and this season, McHale may as well have switched organizations he was coaching for.  Except Parsons (and Patterson until the all-star break), not a single significant contributor returned for this current season.  In fact, after opening 8-8, McHale got this team to 21-14 before hitting the terribly scheduled 8 games in 11 nights that dropped them back to .500, after which he went 8-5 prior to the all-star break.  Then, despite trading away the entire PF rotation and requiring him to completely rearrange his rotations, he has gone 11-7.

McHale is not your Delfino's and TD's of basketball, nor is this team a veteran loaded squad with well-known and defined skill sets and years of established chemistry/play time.  McHale is more like a DMo or T-Rob, and he has had to learn an entirely different team this year and then had to adjust to a change in dynamics mid-season.  He shows potential to coach good basketball (like against the Spurs and Clippers this week), and then can have several games in a row where you go "WTF?!?!!?"  However, unlike young players, there is no way to bench him so he can develop.  So, does McHale frustrate me at times? Certainly.  Does he make bad decisions at times? Yes.  Will he become a good coach?  Who knows.  The question is whether or not there is really a better coach out there at the moment.  Honestly, I don't think there is a gurantee hire, just a bunch of "maybe betters."  How about we give him an offseason to work with this squad (plus whoever is added).  After all, this is the youngest squad in the NBA w/ a relatively inexperienced head coach.

#55 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
              • 1,547 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:15 AM

I'd add in, despite everything I wrote, he should be in the running for Coach of the Year.  Like I said, I'm on the fence lol.

#56 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 699 posts
                • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:31 AM

I'd add in, despite everything I wrote, he should be in the running for Coach of the Year.  Like I said, I'm on the fence lol.

I wouldn't go that far, but yes, given the almost entire new roster and his lack of experience, he has done a good job overall. Our record shows that even though we have good players, we have to give him some credit for that. Some people (almost everyone in this forum, including myself) sometimes find themselves baffled about rotations or in-game decisions, but the quality of our players can't bail us out all the time, so the coaching staff must have something to do with our record.

#57 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • 4,122 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:56 AM

pharmag:

where you been...........been awhile since I read a  post from you. I know you believe it's a flaw thinking McHale is a known commodity, I don't. McHale has had how many years in the league as a player?, GM?, coach? how long do you need to be around the game to know what in necessary to coach a team? McHale's time in minny is nothing to hold up when trying to defend the man. :lol: in fact his 1st year here is nothing to hold up. i'm not going to even take target practice on those.....that would be to easy :rolleyes: just looking at this year alone he has underachieved. I hear all of you who believe since parsons was the only player from last year left and we are the youngest team in the league and we got harden only days b4 the season. I really do hear you, however I could list a few reasons (and have done so many times) that none of that should matter. my concerns as for as McHale are more rooted in his inability to follow proper coaching protocol. established ways of conducting a team which are proven success methods for getting results from a team. maybe he should get a copy of phil Jackson's book. you may be fine with the on the job training program...... i'm not. also addressing the who else is out there as for as coaching issue...........I like stan vangundy . but that's just me. however there are plenty of up and rising young coaches. at this point not many coaches are going to be worse than McHale that for sure. so do we keep driving the old clunker (that's McHale) or do we get ourselves a new ride. I say it's time to see the dealer :lol:    

#58 Richards

Richards

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 393 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:07 AM

After bone headed move by benching all starters for entire 4th quarter during a closed game, McHale surprised everybody with new lineup and beat clippers thoroughly.

Let's fire him and re-hire him.  :)

#59 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,008 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:32 AM

After bone headed move by benching all starters for entire 4th quarter during a closed game, McHale surprised everybody with new lineup and beat clippers thoroughly.

Let's fire him and re-hire him. :)

Since when is benching a starting 5 to motivate them a boneheaded move? He lost a battle to win the war.

Beat a possible playoff matchup team without his star, why because he got the others to play up and together!

And McHale as a coach is not a proven commodity RBF. it doesn't matter how much you've played, or been the GM, until you are in the HC's hot seat everynight nothing can prepare you for it.

#60 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 4,122 posts
                    • Locationhouston

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:41 AM

Since when is benching a starting 5 to motivate them a boneheaded move? He lost a battle to win the war.

Beat a possible playoff matchup team without his star, why because he got the others to play up and together!

And McHale as a coach is not a proven commodity RBF. it doesn't matter how much you've played, or been the GM, until you are in the HC's hot seat everynight nothing can prepare you for it.

I assume you mean he's not a known commodity because I agree he's not a proven commodity.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users