Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  majik19 : (13 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) Apparently we claimed Arsalan Kazemi off waivers from the Hawks today... yet another undersized (6'7") power forward for Morey's cupboard.
@  Mario Peña : (10 October 2015 - 01:12 PM) If your part if the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League check the thread to vote for the date and time for the draft event. Thanks y'all!
@  jorgeaam : (07 October 2015 - 08:47 PM) Guys we need 1 more owner for the Red94 fantasy league, if interested please comment on the post in the fantasy basketball thread
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 06:50 PM) Kobe ranked one spot higher than Ariza? Is this based on legacy or...??
@  slick shoes : (07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM) It was hard to keep up with both the Astros and Rockets at the same time. Should be interesting on Thursday with the Texans and Astros on simultaneously.
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2015 - 04:09 PM) It was fun to have the Rockets on last night! Right now I'm watching the Celtics versus Milan and Alessandro Gentile is impressive.
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Well, thinking twice about it, I'd rather have him score less and have the team as a whole do better. Lawson should take a lot of his load off
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 07:47 PM) Loving that, hope he hits 30 PPG this year
@  thejohnnygold : (06 October 2015 - 06:15 PM) Someone is feeling confident :) : LINK
@  jorgeaam : (06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM) 10 Teams done, will need 2 more
@  Mario Peña : (06 October 2015 - 02:35 PM) Alright guys, if anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league we could use one more player to get us to 10 teams (or three to get us to 12 teams). Just check the thread in the Fantasy Basketball forum. Thanks!
@  thejohnnygold : (05 October 2015 - 06:23 PM) I use leaguepass here in Austin with no problems...
@  skip 2 my lou : (05 October 2015 - 03:14 PM) Hey fellas, I'm a rocket fan but I live in the heart of Dallas. Does anybody know if I buy NBA Leaguepass if it's too close to be subject to blackouts?
@  Losthief : (02 October 2015 - 02:24 AM) tks jg
@  thejohnnygold : (29 September 2015 - 05:16 AM) FYI, it was media day today. Interviews are up at NBA.com
@  slick shoes : (23 September 2015 - 06:37 PM) kind of late in the day but NBATV is broadcasting classis Rockets games all day today.
@  SadLakerFan : (16 September 2015 - 04:37 AM) Man, as a Laker fan, I'm learning how little you care about the off season when your team sucks. Anyway, a quick moment to remember Moses. Still remember watching the 81 team as a kid - losing record, NBA Finals. I would have cried w/joy if they could have beaten the Celtics.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) http://bleacherrepor...ist-after-crash
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2015 - 08:30 PM) So to celebrate his new contract, Montrezl Harrell saved someone's life on monday
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2015 - 04:36 PM) A good article from Blinebury talking about when Hakeem and Moses used to play in the park. LINK

Photo

On Jeremy Lin last night - what am I missing here?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Okay, I hate to be one of those "McHale hates Lin" people because....I get it, it's annoying.  But if there isn't some shred of truth to a lack of trust/confidence within that relationship, then I don't know if I'm watching the same thing as everyone else.  

Look at the play-by-play chart from last night.  Lin started off the 3rd quarter with some drive-and-kicks for assists.  He later gets pulled during the heart of the game and then didn't return until things were pretty much over, with just four minutes remaining.  

I just simply don't get it.  He wasn't playing poor defensively.  George Hill didn't even score until garbage time.  On a night when Paul George is bottling Harden up like a condom, why is the only other guy on this team that can create his own shot sitting on the bench?  There is absolutely no excuse for that.  Not only is it myopic, it's just plain stupid.  

I can understand wanting to play conservative.  Lin makes his share of mistakes.  He had some bad turnovers early on.  But in a game like last night's, you needed a homerun hitter.  You couldn't expect to win playing safe like Gary Kubiak.  

Some will argue that it was just a substitution issue: that Lin played crunch time, technically (as he came in at the 4 minute mark) and needed to rest eventually.  Well, then Kevin McHale needs to examine his substitution patterns because it's pointless if the game is already pretty much decided by the time you bring the guy back.  It's akin to saving your closer (who is your best reliever) for ONLY the 9th inning, rather than bringing him in in the 7th inning if the bases are loaded with the 3-4-5 due up.

The bottom line: I'm just bewildered by this entire situation.  Lin makes mistakes and is not Chris Paul.  But if you're going to get anything out of him, there has to be a longer leash.  You can't just bench the guy the second he messes up.  If this lineup is going to maximize its potential, he has to be given a chance to play because that's when this team is at its most dangerous.  Even setting McHale's current myopia aside, even in the short term, not having Lin in there last night on a night when Harden was being suffocated, was just plain inexcusable.

#2 thelinquisition

thelinquisition

• Members
    • Pip
    • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

In my opinion, the last four minutes of the game were not exactly garbage time. The Rockets still had a chance to wrap it up - and didn't.

Beverley had a huge impact in the Spurs game, and I don't blame McHale for giving him another shot at it, last night. Lately, it seems like it takes Lin 20-30 minutes to (maybe) get in a rhythm, but you can count on Beverley to come off the bench with 100% intensity every time. In a game where the starters have a 33% FG% and the bench has 47% FG%, I wouldn't criticize the sub.

But I agree that, on a night when Harden is not "on", Lin has made his own shot well, and might have done better with more time. I think no one (Rockets players or coaches) came into that game ready to play the Pacers. With all recent focus on defense, they apparently forgot about offense.

#3 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPipPip
      • 891 posts
      • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

I noticed the same thing last night, with the opposite effect occurring for Delfino. Some boneheaded plays by Delfino, yet McHale didn't call a timeout soon after. I see a lot of trust in Delfino, even to sometimes make his own players -- I'd rather Delfino stand behind the arc for the 3's...

That being said, I think both are tied to the second point you mentioned -- a TO by McHale. He should have done it earlier, but it is prob just indirectly affected by his relationship w/ Lin. He should have let Lin play more though, I agree.

#4 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 3,216 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

Beverley seemed to spark some much needed energy, Lin on the other hand looked lethargic. Lin was -13 that game while Beverley was +4

#5 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • 2,008 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

I like the + - stat, but over the season as a whole. Too big a swing from game to game.

#6 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 208 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

I would agree that Lin's playmaking might have helped, but I think Beverly's offensive game was a little better suited to go up against the Pacers' defense and the way the game was being called than Lin's. Lin has to get all the way to the rack and/or draw a foul to score, while Beverly has an excellent floater and better 3-point shot. With Hibbert rejecting everything at the rim, and the refs allowing physical play inside, I doubt Lin would have had any more success than Harden did. 

I think it had more to do with an abundance of trust in Beverly than a lack of trust in Lin.

"Assets" -- Daryl Morey

#7 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 3,216 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

I like the + - stat, but over the season as a whole. Too big a swing from game to game.

Regardless of whether or not you like that stat, the fact is that the team was playing better while Beverley was on the floor. McHale simply went with the line-up that was working. 

#8 SamC

SamC

Rookie

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 50 posts
          • LocationConnecticut

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

Lin has a floater too but he doesn't use it much. But back to the main point, when Lin was brought back into the game at the 4 minute mark, he continued to hand the ball to either Harden or Parsons. I have to believe this was a coaches decision and if it was, why bring him back in? We knew Harden was tired and ineffective for most of the game so why not just let Lin loose and see what he can do? He was well rested. And for all the folks who think Beverly is the second coming, look at his stats and you see multiple games where he has zero points. He's hot and cold just like most NBA players. Beverly is definitely better as a one-on-one defender but we needed offense and Bev wasn't getting it done on the other end in the 4th.

#9 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • 2,008 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

Regardless of whether or not you like that stat, the fact is that the team was playing better while Beverley was on the floor. McHale simply went with the line-up that was working.

For one game. But I do agree about Beverly deserving to play last night over Lin.

#10 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
            • 1,547 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

Beverley is a nice little player who has done some nice things, but where does the overabundance of trust in him stem from?  And what is the cause of the lack of trust in Lin?  And btw, while it is too strong to say that McHale "does not like Lin" as his staunchest supporters would posit, I think it is irrefutable in examining the body of evidence that McHale does not trust Lin or, at the least, does not trust him to the level he places trust as a default in other rotation players.  As case: when the team gets off to a slow start, no matter who the culprit, no matter what has taken place, you almost always see Lin as one of the first two players pulled.

I just don't get it.  And I'd be curious to know management's thoughts on it because they specifically brought Lin in, and let Dragic go, aside from the marketing conspiracies, for the reason that he can attack the rim.  If he's not being allowed to do that and is relegated to the role of Derek Fisher, it's even pointless to have him at all.  

#11 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 3,216 posts
              • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

Beverley is a nice little player who has done some nice things, but where does the overabundance of trust in him stem from?

His energy. 

And I'd be curious to know management's thoughts on it because they specifically brought Lin in, and let Dragic go

If Morey knew he was going to get Harden he probably would have kept Dragic who is better than Lin off the ball. He brought Lin in with the intention of him being the main guy, but like I said that's before he knew he was getting Harden. 

#12 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 891 posts
              • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

I do get a bit annoyed when McHale allows Parsons and Delfino to have a much longer leash than Lin to do stupid stuff and/or make mistakes. Harden I get -- he's the "star" (funny side story, in playing nba2k13, the announcers mention that McHale is great in that he's honest to his players and he will sit you if he thinks you aren't playing right, even if you're a star...this was before the Harden trade, and I was playing the game and thinking, that's bullcrap haha).

But Parsons ISOs? Delfino trying to play PG and doing fadeaways? Lin does that and he's insta-benched. Same for some of the rookies. I get having Parsons and Delfino do that stuff sometimes keeps the defense "guessing"...but can't Lin be doing that as well?

#13 Mason Khamvilay

Mason Khamvilay

Veteran

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • 3,216 posts
              • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

Parson's and Delfino need to get their minutes, because if they don't then that means McHale will have to play James Anderson more who McHale doesn't like for some reason. On the other hand Lin has Beverley behind him who McHale loves, it's a completely different situation. It's completely normal for coaches to love high energy guys who pressure the ball, a few years ago Popovich said George Hill is his favorite player--that's a pretty big statement I thought. 

#14 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
              • 1,547 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

His energy. 

Lin brings just as much, in my opinion.

#15 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPipPip
                • 594 posts
                • LocationHouston

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

i dont see where Beverley cant or doesnt create his own shot?  Ive only seen a few of the games since hes been with the team, but Ive seen him put the ball on the floor quite a bit and create for himself and for others.

#16 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 216 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

Fist it was Douglas and now it is Beverly, what is McHale seeing in everyone but Lin?  I agree with Rahat that Lin needs to be playing 35-38 minutes in this game.  These next two weeks teams should be locking down their rotations and putting the finishing touches on their best sets.  Is McHale planning on playing Lin 20 minutes a night in the playoffs?

#17 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPip
                  • 891 posts
                  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

Parson's and Delfino need to get their minutes, because if they don't then that means McHale will have to play James Anderson more who McHale doesn't like for some reason. On the other hand Lin has Beverley behind him who McHale loves, it's a completely different situation. It's completely normal for coaches to love high energy guys who pressure the ball, a few years ago Popovich said George Hill is his favorite player--that's a pretty big statement I thought. 

If true, this sounds like a horrible way to go about it on McHale's part. Talk about not inspiring confidence in your starters, or sending the right signals lol.

#18 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • 2,596 posts
                  • LocationAlabama

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

I 100% believe that Mchale doesn't like Lin AS A BASKETBALL PLAYER. He doesn't like his game.

Why so Serious? :D

#19 Heredia

Heredia

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 12 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

Unless Lin is having an amazing game, McHale always pulls him out first. Why? A reason I've been dying to know.. Delfino seems to get mad if he's not getting touches. In one series he dribbled the ball up, and then shot a fadeaway shot. Then proceeded to pick up a dumb foul afterwards. I want to see Anderson get more playing time. 

#20 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • 2,008 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:04 AM

People seem to have a lot of gripes towards the team and its current rotation. James Anderson got cut by the Spurs halfway into his rookie contract. And he must not be producing in practice or else he would be getting playing time with the Rockets. McHale has proven, if your busting it in practice you end up in the rotation. Terrance Williams was starting to play last year because of the work he did in practice (until he was late to practice and eventually cut due to immaturity). D-Mo, this year produced in practice enough that Morey traded the two guys in front of him in order to get him minutes. All we get to see is the 48 minutes 82 times a year. But it's the others that determine who gets to play (on the fringes of the rotation).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users