The trade deadline brought is finally past and the general consensus among fans is that the Rockets struck out. You can read our more in depth thoughts here, but in general Houston’s moves were pretty underwhelming.
The good thing is, we no longer have to think about contracts or cap space or players with ball-handling worse than a fifth grader (goodbye James Ennis!), because the Rockets are back! Here are a few things to look out for tonight against the Oklahoma City Thunder.
- OKC is one of the hottest teams in the league. A loss against the Celtics is their only loss in the last 10.
- Battle of MVP candidates? We all know that James Harden is going crazy this season, but Paul George is quietly putting together a very impressive season. In his last six games George is averaging 36.5 points.
- Houston has been a revolving door of wings this year, but fans are hoping Iman Shumpert can make his mark. The Rockets “big” trade deadline pick-up was having a resurgent year for the scrappy Kings before he landed in Houston. If Shump can keep shooting the three-ball at a decent clip, he should fit right in.
- Gerald Green is as streaky as ever. Green was on fire against Sacramento and Utah, scoring 50 points on over 50 percent from three. Sandwiched in between those two games was the win over Phoenix, in which Green scored nine on 36 percent from the field. Which Gerald will we get tonight?
- Those damn triple-doubles. It was Russell Westbrook and his triple-doubles that stole the MVP away from James Harden in 2017, and Westbrook is at it again. Russ has notched eight straight triple-doubles heading into the Rockets game tonight. It would warm my heart if the Rockets could get some justice for 2017 and end Westbrook’s streak tonight.