Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  matt2215 : (30 March 2013 - 03:05 AM) agreed, mchale sucks
@  timetodienow... : (30 March 2013 - 03:04 AM) The Rocket I like the most is Parsons. The Rocket I dislike the most is Mchale. What about you guys?
@  timetodienow... : (30 March 2013 - 02:51 AM) "Hey guys. First time being here? Let me show you around. That's where Delfino sits. That's where Anderson sits. That's where Beverley sits. And here's where I sit. Make yourselves at home."

- Lin welcoming Harden and Parsons to his NBA home
@  timetodienow... : (30 March 2013 - 02:51 AM) Here's a comment I stole from ESPN boards.
@  matt2215 : (30 March 2013 - 02:48 AM) I agree, I hope we get rid of Delfino, and get a better free agent.
@  pharmag : (30 March 2013 - 02:44 AM) I think T-Rob is better served off the bench now.  I think he complements Smith better than DMo would.  My only complaint against the rotations is Delfino at the 4, but I understand its an experience thing.
@  matt2215 : (30 March 2013 - 02:42 AM) I hope T-Rob does not lose his confidence after his bad scoring tonight. At least he got 6 rebounds, and i still think that he should start.
@  pharmag : (30 March 2013 - 02:41 AM) Its a good call.  Early in the season, maybe not so much.  With the Clippers tomorrow, and a 2.5-3.5 (depends on what Utah does) game lead on 9th with plenty of winnable games left, throwing the towel on this one to spare your players makes sense.
@  timetodienow... : (30 March 2013 - 02:30 AM) We'll see 2016. I'm not sure this is a positive thing.
@  2016Champions : (30 March 2013 - 02:26 AM) If Popovich does it he's a genius, if Mchale does it he's an idiot. Come on.
@  pharmag : (30 March 2013 - 02:26 AM) Just went and looked at ESPN convo board...big mistake.  Everyone is ripping McHale for not running his starters into the ground to try and win a quarter by 15 against one of the best defensive teams in the league...
@  2016Champions : (30 March 2013 - 02:26 AM) wow you guys are overreacting. we have another game tomorrow, resting your starters in this situation is what smart coaches do.
@  thenit : (30 March 2013 - 02:23 AM) what a waste going to watch the tourney instead
@  thenit : (30 March 2013 - 02:22 AM) its tough to win a quarter by 15
@  timetodienow... : (30 March 2013 - 02:22 AM) If the team responds to being benched in a positive light, Mchale keeps his job. If they fail to respond or respond negatively, Mchale just lost his job.
@  thenit : (30 March 2013 - 02:22 AM) I still don't think so
@  xsamc1 : (30 March 2013 - 02:22 AM) Asik had a cold
@  xsamc1 : (30 March 2013 - 02:21 AM) If he let Parsons and DMo play, I bet they could have come back
@  thenit : (30 March 2013 - 02:20 AM) Parsons is the only starter that was ok
@  thenit : (30 March 2013 - 02:20 AM) DMo played well offensively but not defensively

Photo

Jeremy Lin: Agent of Chaos

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 317 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

New post: Jeremy Lin: Agent of Chaos

#2 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 85 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

I agree that Lin creates havoc like westbrook does, but Lin is a smarter player and doesn't put up a lot of bad shots. His turnovers can be argued that sometimes he takes chances with his passes. A good example is Beverley who doesn't turn the ball over but rarely creates a lot of his assists through his play. Usually his assists are from good ball movement.

However Lins ability to keep the dribble alive doesn't fit Mchales philosophy and based on his treatment of Lin when he struggles with turnovers or poor shooting, he gets taken out of the game, even though he would have 6 assists after 1,5 quarters.

Lin had 3 good games in a row, and then he had one poor game, and he gets taken out of the game early and suddenly Bev gets the minutes. Mchale has no trust in Lin and doesn't seem to like him as a player, this is just based on the past 6 games including the indiana game tonight.

#3 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 499 posts
      • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:15 AM

I think McHale really likes the fact that Beverley brings the high intensity and on-ball defense every night, where as Lin is a little inconsistent with his energy and even looks a little lethargic out there sometimes. Personally I think Beverley compliments Harden better because when Harden is drawing all the defense towards him it's up to whoever is on the weakside to take advantage of that, and as we saw tonight Beverley was doing a much better job of attacking and then finishing with his nifty floater. Lin on the otherhand looked very unsure of himself, he is trying too hard to be unselfish and it did more harm than good tonight.

“A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.” 
      ― Frank Zappa

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 810 posts
      • LocationAustin

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:58 AM

I can say this much....I would have pulled Lin one play earlier than he was in the first quarter of tonight's game.  I wish I could diagnose what happened.  I wouldn't be against a change of pace move...maybe split the PG minutes a little closer to 50/50 and let Lin be a Spark plug off the bench with Beverley starting.  McHale can still use his hot hand technique to close the game out.  Doesn't need to be permanent...maybe just shake things up.

#5 khyberjones

khyberjones

• Members
      • Pip
      • 6 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

This article doesn't focus on actual data we have from Lin's 1.5 seasons as a starter. He is not an inconsistent player. He is in fact very consistent and has improved in most key categories. In NY, when he took 10 or more shots, he shot around 45%. This year, he is shooting 47% with 10 or more FGAs. When he takes 14 or more shots, he shoots 51%. The team is 7 games above .500 when he takes 10 or more shots and .500 when he doesn't. He is averaging more assists, fewer turnovers, more rebounds and more steals with a sporadic to low usage rate and a sporadic minutes on the floor. With an improved mid-range and 3 point shot over the last 3 months, Lin may actually be a star level PG right now. You just can't see it every day because of the way McHale uses him.

#6 Richards

Richards

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 51 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

IMO, This is the best Jeremy LIn article ever written. 

I always thought his play was lot like Westbrook except those "dumb shot" Westbrook threw up. 
          Unlike Wesbrook, Lin force the way out instead of trying for "miracle shot", and end up with turnovers.

I can see Lin can excel in certain styles but not in McHale. Still, he put up a decent numbers and I respect that.

Lin played aggressive and handled ball more in his "good" games. His productivity was poor in games those Harden has high assists.

#7 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 499 posts
          • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:10 AM

Lin would be alot better if he had the ball in his hands 24/7, but that's not an option playing next to Harden who's going to take the ball out of Lin's hands and understandably so. 

“A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.” 
          ― Frank Zappa

#8 RollingWave

RollingWave

• Members
          • Pip
          • 9 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:52 AM

Lin is improving his 3 shooting a lot this year though, and he has coughed up a lot less TO this year relative to his previous seasons.  

but yeah, stacking their minutes more reasonably would probably help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users