Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  JY86er : (03 November 2015 - 06:08 AM) #motivation
@  Cooper : (03 November 2015 - 03:35 AM) Theres the rockets team we've been waiting for.
@  majik19 : (03 November 2015 - 03:34 AM) our half court offense still sucks, but man we can just blitz teams in our transition game.
@  Willk : (03 November 2015 - 02:10 AM) think Dwight would have helped last night?
@  Willk : (03 November 2015 - 02:09 AM) so okc is playing a 7'0 adams, 6'10 ibaka, & 6'10 Durant and Hou's 2nd tallest player is 6'5. Wondering why OKC is getting 2nd shots
@  jorgeaam : (03 November 2015 - 01:13 AM) Get that outta here Ibaka!
@  JY86er : (02 November 2015 - 08:28 PM) I would just like them to hustle back downcourt in transition. They just don't and never have really. No data set for that is there?
@  redfaithful : (02 November 2015 - 03:57 PM) Still preseason in Rocket land
@  Alituro : (02 November 2015 - 01:44 PM) Wassup guys? Season start yet? How we doin'?
@  majik19 : (02 November 2015 - 01:40 AM) <insert overreaction here> but man these guys can't shoot.
@  Mario Peña : (02 November 2015 - 01:33 AM) Between work and studying I'm so glad I haven't sat down to watch a Rockets game yet. It's like their still in preseason.
@  Willk : (02 November 2015 - 01:18 AM) stupid not to play howard tonight. get the win that is present
@  jorgeaam : (01 November 2015 - 11:10 PM) Let's go Rockets!
@  jorgeaam : (01 November 2015 - 04:25 PM) We signed the ChuckWagon again!
@  jorgeaam : (31 October 2015 - 01:59 AM) Let Montrezl have fun
@  jorgeaam : (31 October 2015 - 01:59 AM) I hate you refs
@  txtdo1411 : (30 October 2015 - 10:50 PM) I'm hopeful. I just want to see us fight and play with energy, especially on the defensive end. I don't see any reason we couldn't pull this one off, but it is going to take a much better effort then we displayed in the opener.
@  majik19 : (30 October 2015 - 09:09 PM) anyone think we're going to win tonight? I think having Dwight in the lineup is going to make a huge difference, enough for us to pull one out.
@  cointurtlemoose : (29 October 2015 - 05:42 AM) upside is that Capela looked pretty good??
@  rockets best... : (29 October 2015 - 02:42 AM) this is just like the stinker they loss to the Lakers at the beginning of last year

Photo

Indiana Pacers @ Houston Rockets on 3/27/2013

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

New post: Indiana Pacers @ Houston Rockets on 3/27/2013

#2 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
    • 1,422 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:04 AM

New post: Indiana Pacers 100, Houston Rockets 91 - A Lesson in Defense

#3 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
      • 1,422 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:53 AM

New post: [video] Paul George after Pacers knock off Rockets

#4 Suhas

Suhas

• Members
        • Pip
        • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:40 AM

Paul George is scary good. My pick for dpoy. He's just 22 and is probably a top 3 two-way perimeter guy is this league. Indy could be good for a long time, and if they can Get Hibbert going like tonight, they are Heat kryptonite.

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 4,148 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

Good recap.  Hibbert couldn't miss.  Stephenson looked amazingly big and fast.  Their defense was very good, but we helped them.  Parsons started taking Larry Bird difficulty shots.  Harden stubbornly refused to recognize the refs weren't going to blow the whistle.  We got away from the three for a long stretch despite not being able to get to the rim.  Bad passes everywhere.  Ugh.  I hate to cry bad officiating, but I did feel they were rewarding the Pacers' overall defensive effort with allowing them more leeway on contact against us.  I felt it was a tad skewed their way, but that isn't why we lost so no big deal.

The Pacers definitely looked good tonight...and that was without David West.

#6 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 549 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

Two things perplexed me about last night's game. Why didn't we see any more of T-Rob in the second half? Seeing as how Asik was a couple steps slow compared to Hibbert and it was obvious, and the presence of BOTH Smith and Robinson on the floor was the difference maker that allowed us to close the lead to 5? Also why did Delfino get so many minutes last night when he was obviously hobbled and ineffective form the get go? His poor decision making late in the game last night almost makes me want to rescind my vote to keep him in that other post.

#7 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPipPip
            • 671 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

Two things perplexed me about last night's game. Why didn't we see any more of T-Rob in the second half? Seeing as how Asik was a couple steps slow compared to Hibbert and it was obvious, and the presence of BOTH Smith and Robinson on the floor was the difference maker that allowed us to close the lead to 5? Also why did Delfino get so many minutes last night when he was obviously hobbled and ineffective form the get go? His poor decision making late in the game last night almost makes me want to rescind my vote to keep him in that other post.

Agree with your sentiment, these situations are the reasons I don't like what Mchale is doing. He has different levels of trusts on players. Delfino will get his minutes no matter if he is cold or hot. His poor decision making and selection of shots has cost us more than a few games. 

Robinson's hustle combined with D-mo ineffectiveness should have let Robinson play a lot more in the 2nd half instead he went with Delfino at the four despite his struggles. 

Asik played well in the 3rd and Smith had a great game except for a few situations when delfino and Harden decides to throw the ball on smiths feet in a couple of consecutive possesions which lead to turnovers. 

Lin wasn't terrible yesterday, except for the 1st quarter where he had 3 bad turnovers. Asik and Lin was the only starters who shot 50% or better and for love of God I don't see why you sit them for basically the whole 2nd half after they played the first 7-8 minutes of the 3rd Quarter and insert them when the game is almost over when they actually played well in the 3rd Q. 

Beverley played ok, but he was fairly effective in the 2nd Quarter when Harden came back in around the 6 min mark. These are the situation when Bev excels with Harden being hte player initiating the offense. The 2nd half he was not quite as effective and this is where I believe that Mchale should have played Lin earlier in the 4th then waiting until its there is less than 5 minutes to go in a 11p game to insert Lin.

Harden had a tough game with George playing great defence on him as he did in the previous game. This is why I pray to god that we don't play the nuggets. There aren't many players who can limit Harden the way George and Iggy does. Harden will bounce back, but in a game like this when he is ineffective offensively, I wish he could at least focus instead of barking at the ref everytime he doesn't get a call and also focus on defence to affect the game in other areas. No way it should be that hard to guard stephensen. 

Indiana is just one of the teams that our system don't play well against. Lets hope we can play better against the Grizz.

#8 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
              • PipPipPipPipPip
              • 1,190 posts
              • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

You have to remember that for all that Robinson provided some energy on offense, his defence was absolutely atrocious. He got manhandled  by Hansbrough in the first quarter, and I suspect if it hadn't been for Motiejunas already having two fouls McHale would have pulled him out. I suspect that's why he didn't see the court in the second half.

I thought Asik's defence on Hibbert was much improved in the second half - he wasn't able to dominate the offensive glass the way he did earlier in the game and in the one-on-one possessions I thought he did a good job of denying him the post position he needed to get that hook working.

The key to this game, as I saw it, was just how well the Pacers were able to shut down the Rockets' drive and kick game. They did a great job of collapsing in on the driver - it was very rare that Lin or Harden could get a shot off in there - but what made it all work was just how excellent they were at closing out on shooters when the ball was kicked out. So many times the three point shooter (usually Parsons) would have to have to check his shot because of the speed and length of the on-rushing Pacers defender. There was one particularly spectacular one where Gerald Green managed to block a three point shot, IIRC. Not being able to shoot that three pointer consistently really bogged down the offence. It was only when they realised they needed to get away from that and started to switch to more conventional pick and rolls (which considering their defensive reputation the Pacers were surprisingly bad at stopping) that the Rockets were able to get their offense flowing and get back into the game.

ST

#9 bob schmidt

bob schmidt

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 103 posts
              • LocationBrownsville, Texas

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

It seems to me that some games (last night for example) we do not adjust to the officials as quickly as we should. It was obvious that the physical play of Indy killed us in the first quarter. I wish that McHale had a quicker hook to adjust the lineup to upset our opponents game plan. Last night we once again insisted upon challenging their length in the paint, and had little success. The game was decided in the 1st quarter. If we had "gone big" after it became obvious that the refs were not calling fouls, we might have forced the officials to call fouls by meeting their length with our own big lineup. Inserting Smith at the 4, and forcing Hibbert and crew to defend their size might have opened up Harden, Parsons, and Lin for scoring opportunities. Another option might have been to go extremely small and quick with our lineup to force Indy to match up with an unexpected small lineup. The point is, had we reacted quickly, we might have thrown off their game plan before the hole was too deep. I was wishing that Terrence Jones was available to serve as our "Mr. Nasty" perhaps, when it was obvious that Motie was being seriously pushed around in the paint, and ineffective as a result. Another "creative lineup" that might be fun to see sometime would be Brooks (or Lin), and Beverly at the guards, Harden at the three, and Parsons at PF. With Asik or Smith at the 5, teams would play hell to match up with our lineup... My major point is this, an unexpected lineup might really screw up a tough opponents game plan and help us avoid falling so far behind. Even though we lost, I am proud of our team for winning the last 3 quarters. Hopefully, we'll figure out how to get off to better starts in the future.

#10 Alituro

Alituro

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPipPip
              • 549 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

T-Rob made a couple rookie mistakes on D like that blatant reach, but all-in-all I didn't think he was any worse defensively than d-mo last night. D-mo, I agree with Bob,gets pushed around too easily and you really can't say that about T-Rob, he lacks polish but not the bulk, and D-mo lacks both somewhat.The T-rob/Smith combo did really start to control the paint and wreak havoc down there in the 2nd quarter. He looked like he was finally getting into some sort of rhythm by the time he was benched. It looked like Harden was beginning to trust him too at the end of that stretch as evidenced by the alley-oop. I think given more time, the rotation of Beverley, Harden, Parsons, Robinson and Smith could develop some pretty interesting chemistry, whereas we've been forced to play the spread the floor, drive and kick game due to the rotations available (Lin, Pat, Morris instead), with this one, we can play some inside-out big boy ball. Congrats to Smith on a career night. The mechanics of Motie's 3 point shot looks awful.

#11 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
                • 1,422 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 06:00 PM

New post: Golden State Warriors 112, Houston Rockets 92: A very long way to go
                  By: Rahat Huq

• As you all are aware, the Rockets were embarrassed again last night, on their home floor, dropping to 0-2.  This is not how anyone was expecting to start the season.  They’ll get better, with time, but there are some serious systemic problems, flowing over from last year, and really the entire McHale era, that will need to be addressed.
                  • The spacing has been dreadful.  This goes back to the ironic matter that for a team so heavily dependent on the three-pointer, the Rockets don’t really have good shooters that other teams have to guard.  This was compounded by the fact, last night, that Terrence Jones and Dwight Howard essentially clogged the paint, in Jones’ case, providing nothing of any utility.  It’s a domino effect: Harden drives the lane, kicks out to a shooter who misses the shot.  On the next trip down, the lane is even more clogged with defenders, making it even more difficult for Harden to finish.  
                  • The antidote here, as I wrote last night at the half, would be movement.  Instead of standing around and watching Harden dribble the ball, any sort of action off the ball would at least make the defense react.  This hits home at a fundamental problem plaguing the Rockets.  They’re going to get hot from the outside one of these games and all will be right in the world.  But the shots won’t always fall, as evidenced by these past two games, especially with mediocre shooters.  The Rockets need ways to generate points in those situations, especially against smart defenses.  There are good passers here; a simple backdoor cut would go a long way.  
                  • As I’ve been writing, we still have yet to see Lawson and Harden involved together in the same play.  There’s tons of potential here, especially with the kinds of finishers the team has in its frontcourt.  I’d kill to see advanced actions with Harden attacking the defense off an initial pick and roll, misdirecting, and handing off to Lawson to set up a second motion.  That would really force defenses into difficult decisions.  Right now, as I wrote last night, Lawson has been relegated to a spectator when sharing the floor with Harden.
                  • For his part, Lawson hasn’t been as ineffective as his numbers would indicate.  He’s created some nice looks with Harden on the bench.  But that’s the problem - he’s way too good to be just a backup point guard.  It will be up to McHale to find a way to make those two players work, when playing together.
                  • Terrence Jones, again, completely crapped the bed, before having his night mercifully ended by Steph Curry.  Aside from the offensive ineptitude, which was on clear display, he blew countless rotations, even once drawing Dwight’s ire after failing to box out upon a Dwight shot-block attempt.  There’s little point in Dwight trying to challenge shots at the rim if his teammates won’t bother to have his back after the shot is missed.  This isn’t to say that Donatas Motiejunas is some panacea for this team.  But Jones’ play thus far has underscored how much we all collectively underestimated the impact of Motiejunas’ injury.  

#12 majik19

majik19

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 287 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 07:26 PM

I think this was accidentally posted here...

Games like last night continue to prove that Terence Jones is not a starting 4 in this league, and is much better suited coming off the bench. 

#13 Willk

Willk

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 321 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:56 AM

I think this was accidentally posted here...

Games like last night continue to prove that Terence Jones is not a starting 4 in this league, and is much better suited coming off the bench.

I agree. TJones coming off of the bench is much better. He is not a starter on a good team. I would start Harrell.

#14 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
                      • 4,148 posts
                      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:44 PM

It is difficult to deny that Jones has looked out of his element so far.  Meanwhile, Harrell and Capela are playing well enough that benching Jones AND Howard doesn't seem completely irrational.  Howard, (*cue southern matriarch voice) bless his heart, doesn't seem to realize that the referees are going to blow whistles against him for over-muscling people while allowing them some latitude in defending him.  He spends as much time playing basketball as he does griping to the refs about all the stupid fouls he picks up/fouls he thinks should have been called.  He doesn't look hungry.  He looks lackadaisical and entitled and I don't like it.

Dwight.  It's been a long time now in the NBA.  Time to learn how this works.  Earn the ref's respect and you will get more of the calls.

Terrence.  Stop dribbling the ball when you get it down low.  Catch.  Dunk.  Repeat.  Stop hesitating.

McHale.  The NBA is evolving right before your eyes.  The drive and kick is no longer enough.  Not even with elite talent.  Get with your staff and figure it out.  The difference between watching Houston's offense and the likes of San Antonio or Golden State is night and day.  I find it somewhat embarrassing.  I feel bad for our players.  Certainly they can see it.

Defense.  Perhaps we should try some...

D-Mo.  HEAL!!!  Please, please, please get better.  You are still our second best player.  We need you.

Harden.  Let Lawson be "the man" on offense.  It will be good.  He will get you the ball--it's in his nature.  Let him get going and watch how things open up for everyone else.

Montrezl and Clint.  Keep doing what you're doing.  I've never seen a championship-caliber, veteran team that has a rookie and 2nd year guy leading the team in class, composure, hustle, and heart.  If all of our guys played like they do we'd be 2-0.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users