Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  phaketrash : (19 March 2013 - 04:16 AM) Unless you're really banking on Bargnani having an off-season...he's atrocious this year. Guy is 40% FG and 31% on 3's. Not sure he'd stress a defense...
@  thenit : (19 March 2013 - 03:36 AM) he is not that bad, I have seen a lot of his games, anyways just food for thought I think it worth a gamble, going to bed. btw Lakers are losing in the 3rd against the suns
@  2016Champions : (19 March 2013 - 03:35 AM) He doesn't run the floor, and his defense is horrible
@  thenit : (19 March 2013 - 03:34 AM) Bargnani is the better player atm. He has had injury problems, but I think he is a great fit and we can get him on the cheap side. I live in toronto I think he needs a change of scenery and he will be a 17-7 guy who can stretch the floor
@  2016Champions : (19 March 2013 - 03:32 AM) D-Mo>Bargnani
@  thenit : (19 March 2013 - 03:31 AM) I have a thought. Anyone else think we should try to get bargnani? Toronto is pretty desperate at getting rid of the former 1st pick
@  thenit : (19 March 2013 - 03:30 AM) I thought he was a good player but when people was talking about being the best pg in the league, I can't say that I agreed with them. He has the ball too much in his hand and he can't shoot the ball
@  2016Champions : (19 March 2013 - 03:27 AM) I've always thought he was overrated. I wish I kept a book of all the controversial predictions I've made, I would be looking like the Nostradamas of NBA basketball.
@  thenit : (19 March 2013 - 03:06 AM) Celtics are better without Rondo, never thought that
@  thenit : (19 March 2013 - 03:06 AM) They still pulled out a win though, didn't see the game only saw the last few plays.
@  timetodienow... : (19 March 2013 - 03:00 AM) Man, if Jeff Green is that good consistently, the Heat are in trouble. Lebron James went to guard him and then Pierce went off. James can't guard both Pierce and Green at the same time.
@  thenit : (19 March 2013 - 02:54 AM) Lets hope donut Felton will the Knicks to a win against utah
@  thenit : (19 March 2013 - 02:53 AM) Nope Miami just clinched it
@  thenit : (19 March 2013 - 02:52 AM) KG is the biggest D-bag in sports
@  phaketrash : (19 March 2013 - 02:44 AM) Speaking of the Celts...lol, about to see if Boston breaks yet another 22 win-streak!
@  timetodienow... : (18 March 2013 - 11:43 PM) I wouldn't be surprised if it came out that KG had a mental disorder. Of course, he could just be a d-bag.
@  2016Champions : (18 March 2013 - 11:07 PM) Personally, I think Garnett is crazy. Literally.
@  2016Champions : (18 March 2013 - 11:05 PM) That's taking things too far, family members should be off limits.
@  timetodienow... : (18 March 2013 - 10:20 PM) KG is the villian of the NBA. He told Duncan on mother's day, "Happy Mother's Day, Motherfucker" when he knew Duncan's mother had passed away previously. He talked about how Melo's wife Lala "tasted" like Honey nut Cheerios. I don't mind trash talk, but people like KG are classless.
@  2016Champions : (18 March 2013 - 07:49 PM) People forget, Jordan was one of the biggest trash talkers of all time.

Photo

Why is Houston's defense still bad?

29 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

New post: Why is Houston's defense still bad?

#2 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 395 posts
    • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Somewhere along the season, I heard that our philosophy was to drive to the rim to draw fouls, make easy lay-ups or kick to the open man (that's all obvious), since they are the most effective plays. That same reason was why defensively the coaching staff was looking to prevent from the opposition. Instead, Harden, Lin and sometimes Parsons keep trying to double team leaving their man wide open, and just like we make a lot of 3's, I think we are one of the worst permissive defenses when it comes to 3's (if someone could provide some stats, I would be grateful).

If you have two bigs defending inside and three guys watching the perimeter, it's likely that the other team would have to settle for mid-range jumpers, which be the ideal....if we keep double teaming, eventually, they'll find the open man, just like we do, and not every team in the league has a Harden, or a Lin that could easily beat his man every single time they march to the basket so that you HAVE to get help.

Maybe is lack of focus, or maybe it's just lack of confidence in individual defense. Double-teaming a big at the elbow is unnecessary (unless it's Nowitzki, Garnett or Aldridge). Or maybe it's about upping the stats in steals (which I don't think is the case).

#3 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 479 posts
    • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

@ale: basketball-reference.com says that the Rockets are ranked 26th in opponent 3P% in the league, and also allow the 4th most three point attempts per game. So your eye-test definitely checks out.

ST

#4 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 323 posts
    • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

I personally thought this article nitpicked a little too much. Leaving Rubio open is what alot of teams do, not just Lin. And at least 1 guy is supposed to leak out in our offense. The biggest defensive concerns imo is our back up 5 and the fact we have Delfino playing the 4 too often. 

“A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.” 
    ― Frank Zappa

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 697 posts
    • LocationAustin

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

I've wondered the same...can anyone offer some reasons why we don't take our own advice?  Wouldn't a zone defense force opponents to shoot from certain spots (mostly mid-range)?

#6 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 395 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for the data, ST!

I've wondered the same...can anyone offer some reasons why we don't take our own advice?  Wouldn't a zone defense force opponents to shoot from certain spots (mostly mid-range)?

McHale might be allergic to zone defense. I know it's not the way to go full time, but we might take a shot at it when shots are raining from beyond the arc. It's an option, and right now, we couldn't defend worse even if we put 4 cones next to Asik, so no loss in trying.

#7 idiotfan

idiotfan

• Members
    • Pip
    • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

the big problem with the up-tempo offense is theys get tired. you can't be intense on both ends of the floor. These guys get tired. they are terrible playing the second game of a back-to-back bc they get tired. As for the collapse against Golden State, I had a feeling it might happen. They heard footsteps in the playoff race, with Utah and LA both winning the other nite. These guys are still newbs when it comes down to crunch time. Harden has experience and Lin seems to rise to the occasion if he's not pooped. But I had a feeling the other Rockets might freeze up in this game with playoff ramifications, and coincidentally, they froze up.

#8 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 72 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

The issue is with the perimiter defenders, Parson, Lin and Harden, they tend to help too much as soon as one of the other teams big post up, which leaves their players open, or Harden trying to cherry pick on a long shot, ending up losing the box out and having 5-4 for a short period. I don't understand why they would do that especially when they are posting up against Asik. Lin is very prone to try to edge closer to the big man and so is Parsons. They need to be close enough to their guy and let Asik do his job. There aren't that many great post up big men any more and even if Asik faces one, I take that odds anyday. We just need to stay on the perimiter and prevent the 3s and the cutters.

#9 rocketrick

rocketrick

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 249 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for the data, ST!

McHale might be allergic to zone defense. I know it's not the way to go full time, but we might take a shot at it when shots are raining from beyond the arc. It's an option, and right now, we couldn't defend worse even if we put 4 cones next to Asik, so no loss in trying.

Actually, the best time to employ a Zone Defense is when your opponent sucks at hitting outside shots. Definitely not the case when matched up with G-State the way they were shooting last night!

Zone Defense is best to keep opposing teams centers and power forwards from gobbling up easy points and rebounds in the lane.

#10 Richards

Richards

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 26 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

We see this scheme again and again in every games. To me, it was designed by coaching staffs. If not, it should have pointed out and fixed long ago.

#11 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 363 posts
            • LocationAlabama

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. But it's not just Lin doing that. EVERYBODY does it. We double team every big. I can't blame Lin. I have to blame the defensive system in place, which makes me blame Mchale. It could be that Lin and everybody else are doing the wrong thing, I don't know. But it's happened so consistently that I don't think that's a viable option.

Why so Serious? :D

#12 Brookaveli

Brookaveli

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 16 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

Zone Defense is best to keep opposing teams centers and power forwards from gobbling up easy points and rebounds in the lane.

I disagree about the rebounding part.  While a zone sometimes means that there are more defenders near the basket, it makes it harder for defenders to find a man and box out.

#13 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 395 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:48 AM

Actually, the best time to employ a Zone Defense is when your opponent sucks at hitting outside shots. Definitely not the case when matched up with G-State the way they were shooting last night!

If you spread the perimeter defense, they don't get that kind of open looks. You defend the 3 and if the opposite guard eludes the defender he has two options: go to the rim and try to beat Asik or settle for the mid-range jumper. We all agree that we need the opposition to take those long 2s. And, like we all say, stop double teaming, and that goes for Lin, Harden, Parsons and every player who doesn't play PF or C.

#14 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 818 posts
              • Locationhouston

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:45 AM

I agree wholeheartedly. But it's not just Lin doing that. EVERYBODY does it. We double team every big. I can't blame Lin. I have to blame the defensive system in place, which makes me blame Mchale. It could be that Lin and everybody else are doing the wrong thing, I don't know. But it's happened so consistently that I don't think that's a viable option.

I agree. I think this is the system being taught. 1st thing is .....until a big man proves to you in the game he is having a good night you don't double at all. 2nd even when a double is necessary a good coach will bring it from different areas on each posession. the rockets have no sound defensive fundamentals. weak side defensive rotations are slow if at all. the rockets are getting plenty of pratice time right now so what's the problem............youth? yeah that plays a part..........effort? yeah that plays a part too, but the over riding problem I see is we are not praticing sound fundamentals. that's coaching

#15 NathanZachary

NathanZachary

• Members
              • Pip
              • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:28 AM

Sure there were lapses in Houston's defense in that game against Minnesota. The thing is, they won that game. Shouldn't this writer be better off criticizing Minnesota's lapses since it's Minnesota which should learn from their loss? Why blame Lin, Harden and Parsons and heave so much praise on D-Mo and T-Rob? D-Mo's defense stinks and T-Rob isn't even much of a factor. Have you really followed Rockets basketball games? This writer is an idiot who doesn't know basketball.

#16 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 479 posts
                • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

Sure there were lapses in Houston's defense in that game against Minnesota. The thing is, they won that game. Shouldn't this writer be better off criticizing Minnesota's lapses since it's Minnesota which should learn from their loss? Why blame Lin, Harden and Parsons and heave so much praise on D-Mo and T-Rob? D-Mo's defense stinks and T-Rob isn't even much of a factor. Have you really followed Rockets basketball games? This writer is an idiot who doesn't know basketball.

Your tone doesn't make you sound like someone worth responding to, but in case you do have a genuine interest in intelligent discussion, here are a few thoughts about why what you just said doesn't really hold water:

• Just because a team won, doesn't mean their defence wasn't full of holes.
                • This is a Rockets blog, it has no reason to cover Minnesota's defense.
                • The article doesn't even mention Thomas Robinson.

ST

#17 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
                • 885 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

The Rockets won, thus they must have played a perfect game.

Great logic.  

#18 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 697 posts
                  • LocationAustin

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

I found an article on Grantland that may shed some light on all of this...well not really, maybe a light with obscure shadow puppets that we may or may not be able to discern...Still, I found it interesting.  Caution, it's a Grantland piece so it is more of a short story than an article.  LINK.

The article is based on the Raptors, but it focuses on the use of analytics and the camera tracking technology.  Specifically, it is looking at the defensive sides of analyitics.

A couple of interesting things that popped up...

1. Another possible reason why Kyle Lowry is not a Rocket is a contention with the use of analytics...

"The players think it's all sort of geeky — Kyle Lowry cackled when I asked DeRozan about them..."

2. Observing Jeff Teague from Atlanta, the author may as well have been talking about Lin or Harden...

"But he's still finding the balance on defense between gambling for
                  steals/watching the ball and marking his own guy. Teague's steals are an
                  important generator of turnovers and easy points for an Atlanta team
                  that has ranked near the top of the league in forcing turnovers and
                  doesn't generate easy points via free throws. But smart teams know they
                  can back-door Teague when he focuses too greedily on the ball."

All in all, I have to believe the Rockets are up to their eyeballs in trying to compile, evaluate, and implement all this data.  A lot of the findings are counter-intuitive from the player's perspective.  Perhaps, what we are witnessing is not just the folly of youth on the Rocket's defense, but the re-education of the defensive minds of all the players as they try to go against instinct and play the "logical" defense that analytics prefers.  I can only imagine that trying to play defense and react quickly while thinking about statistical probablities and floor spacing can freeze a defender--even if only for that split second--long enough for the offense to take advantage.  Hopefully, this will get better in time.

I don't fully understand--not even close, but it seems that the difference is focusing less on your player assignment and more on the play itself and acting in accordance with the most desirable outcome....if that makes any sense.

Personally, I struggle to believe a computer can truly understand what it is to play defense until it understands guile, mis-direction, chance, fallibility, and dumb-luck.

#19 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 53 posts
                  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

JG - that was actually a really good read, but the implications are tremendous.  Do we assume that the Rox's defensive patterns are their attempt to match the analytics?  Their offense seems to match what the analytics holds true - the higher value shots (corner 3s and layups) are being taken more frequently.  If we see the affect of big data on one side of the ball, then we should be seeing it on the other side, as well.  Well, theoretically.

Perhaps McHale is the coach *because* he was more amenable to an analytics approach (due to his inexperience coaching), whereas Adelman was not?  That's actually quite compelling.

#20 2016Champions

2016Champions

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 323 posts
                  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

“A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.” 
                  ― Frank Zappa

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users