Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  rocketrick : (25 April 2014 - 01:57 AM) Pacers and Bulls just don't have enough offense, even to compete in the pathetic Eastern Conference this season.
@  Cooper : (25 April 2014 - 01:37 AM) At least we aren't the pacers.
@  thenit : (25 April 2014 - 12:32 AM) I don't think he will improve, and our window is 2 more season with him as the second dog. If he is a third best player with Durant Melo or love with harden then our window will be longer
@  thenit : (25 April 2014 - 12:31 AM) He already peaked and once he turn 30 his athletic ability will decline. He is a player who relies on that. Doesn't have the fundamentals like Duncan
@  Buckko : (24 April 2014 - 10:50 PM) Howard is not on the decline yet, he just turn 29.
@  feelingsuper... : (24 April 2014 - 05:07 PM) I know it's a slim chance and there's much to enjoy now.
@  thenit : (24 April 2014 - 04:22 PM) Man that would be unbelievable
@  feelingsuper... : (24 April 2014 - 04:21 PM) My dream free agent, Durant.
@  thenit : (24 April 2014 - 04:01 PM) beyond that it will depend on how we do to attract Melo, K love or someone in that stratospehere
@  thenit : (24 April 2014 - 04:00 PM) I get what you are saying FSS, the conundrum is that I do believe Harden will get better, but Howard's decline will kind of offset what Harden improves. The West is so good that we need to seize the oppurturnity I think we have one shot at it next year
@  feelingsuper... : (24 April 2014 - 03:51 PM) These growing pains are harder than I thought they would be. Hopefully Harden and Howard stick together and come out better next game and next year.
@  thenit : (24 April 2014 - 02:19 PM) He was never a real fan, more like a fan by associasion
@  jorgeaam : (24 April 2014 - 01:37 PM) What's the point of being a "fan" of a team if you are only going to support them when they win?
@  08huangj : (24 April 2014 - 10:17 AM) Though, they might still turn the series around, I'm very, very dissapointed.
@  08huangj : (24 April 2014 - 10:16 AM) Kind of starting to regret to follow the Rockets just about every day.
@  08huangj : (24 April 2014 - 10:16 AM) And now, after receiving home court advantage and looking like a contender for the first two months of 2014, they've lost 2 matches in a row against Portland at Toyota center.
@  08huangj : (24 April 2014 - 10:15 AM) I read about all the articles I can find after the match
@  08huangj : (24 April 2014 - 10:14 AM) Then, Dwight Howard arrived. I thought that they had the ability to win the championship 'cause they had 2 superstars and a good supporting cast. I watched every one of Houston's games if they were available
@  08huangj : (24 April 2014 - 10:13 AM) The only reason I cared about NBA at that time was Jeremy Lin, as he's a Asian like me.
@  08huangj : (24 April 2014 - 10:12 AM) Before Dwight arrived, I cared little about the Rockets. If they lost a supposed-to-win match, I was like oh well, it doesn't matter. I only went to Espn to check the scores every day for a minute

Photo

Donatas Motiejunas getting his chance

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

New post: Donatas Motiejunas getting his chance

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 2,840 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

You're spot on. D-Mo is so good offensively it almost negates how bad his defense currently is--almost. I almost think playing him on the wings might be better for a while. his speed and length would make it tough to get by him, and if we put Smith and Asik behind him then we're pretty solid. Plus, don't you think he could post up about every SF in the league not named Lebron or Carmelo with ease?

#3 cdhthegreat

cdhthegreat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

His defense is very suspect at this point. He doesn't move his feet well enough on the defensive end to keep up with more agile bigs and he doesn't have the bulk to handle the bigger guys. His offense is promising though and with Asik manning the middle we may be able to cover him up a bit.

#4 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

A few other things:

1) McHale's recent comments on Motiejunas are very encouraging. He said that he has been playing very well in practice and will get more time.

2) I think the defense is one of those things where he just has to get out there and adjust to the speed of the game. He won't get better sitting on the bench. Fortunately it seems McHale is willing to give him reps.

#5 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Although he'll never be a dominant shot-blocker, D-Mo drew at least one charge last night with his quick feet. I think that was the most encouraging sign for him defensively--he has the speed to get to the right spot. Once he gets comfortable with the rotations, I think he could be passable as a help defender a la Jared Jeffries. He still doesn't have the strength to handle big post players, but I wouldn't worry about that for two reasons: 1) bruising post players are a dying breed, and 2) virtually no rookie bigs have that strength anyways, and it doesn't really hurt their stock (looking at you, Anthony Davis. Wait--where'd you go? Oh. You turned sideways). I would really love to see him playing next to Robinson with T-Rob in a Ben Wallace role. I think they could be like a bench (read: poor man's) version of Ben and Sheed.

#6 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

That's like the difference between a beggar and a billionaire.

Why so Serious? :D

#7 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

New post: Motiejunas shines in second half stint

#8 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

thomas robinson has his work cut out because d-mo is looking like the starter we have been looking for B)

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#9 arnold p

arnold p

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

I agree his defense is an issue but looks like rebounding is no longer a real problem. He did some good blocking out last night but the more impressive thing I saw was they way he used his quickness to save the ball twice and to get his hand on ball to keep in play. With the quickness he show the defense will come with more playing time.

#10 Steven

Steven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

thomas robinson has his work cut out because d-mo is looking like the starter we have been looking for B)/>

Compation breeds excellence.

#11 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

after watching d-mo last night I don't want to be to quick, but who were those guys we traded again :lol: just kidding I wish those guys well especially ppat and mm. they gave us some good monents. now back to d-mo. depending how he responds the last part of this season I think we might put that PF aqusition on hold :lol: I know some of the posters here have been calling for this a long time, but I told you we needed to be patient. we have good PFs. they just need PT. obtaining t-rob and already having d-mo and t-jones I think we are set there.......oh and there is another guy, but can't seem to remember his name royce something :lol: it might be time for us to start looking at some other positions to upgrade instead of PF. I really liked the passion I saw in d-mo last night. this guy is ready. lets unleash him

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#12 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

Glad to see my man DMo getting some love.

He has skills for sure, just needs time on the floor to find his way.

DD

#13 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

You want to know what is the best way to address the rebounding issue? Get the guys throw 3's in practice and get Motie to box out Asik until he can out-rebound him....if you can box out Omer, you can do it with most players.

#14 2016Champions

2016Champions

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

I can feel how my body is getting stronger my power and speed are coming back ! Incredible !

"We're not satisfied with where we're at, but we're optimistic on where things will go from here" - Daryl Morey

#15 miketheodio

miketheodio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

this is a repost from my post on clutch fans

Tjones easily. hands down.

the PF starting spot will be a 5th option due to the people on the court. Harden/howard wil be the 1 and 2 options. switching off depending on the situation. chandler parsons is the 3rd spot. he's going to get more 3 attempts over the PF spot. the PF will have the ball very little while the starters are on the court. they will take an occasional 3, get a pass on a PnR, and get put backs.

dmo needs to ball for a post up. he doesn't have a knack for rebound like jones does. ive seen both of them pass decently. both their outside shots need work. jones is a slightly stronger finisher.

jones being a better finisher has an advantage with PnR and he doesn't need the ball in his hands for a long time to score. his knack for rebounding also is an advantage for getting offensive rebounds/put backs which do not take a long time to perform. jones' better defense fits the starting squad more.

dmo fits the bench better. he can be a 2nd/3rd option when the bench is on the court. offensive spark off the bench. beverly and asik will be the defensive hounds and will offset some of dmo's weaknesses.

Edited by miketheodio, 19 July 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#16 Rockets fan newton

Rockets fan newton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:48 AM

this is a repost from my post on clutch fans

Tjones easily. hands down.

the PF starting spot will be a 5th option due to the people on the court. Harden/howard wil be the 1 and 2 options. switching off depending on the situation. chandler parsons is the 3rd spot. he's going to get more 3 attempts over the PF spot. the PF will have the ball very little while the starters are on the court. they will take an occasional 3, get a pass on a PnR, and get put backs.

dmo needs to ball for a post up. he doesn't have a knack for rebound like jones does. ive seen both of them pass decently. both their outside shots need work. jones is a slightly stronger finisher.

jones being a better finisher has an advantage with PnR and he doesn't need the ball in his hands for a long time to score. his knack for rebounding also is an advantage for getting offensive rebounds/put backs which do not take a long time to perform. jones' better defense fits the starting squad more.

dmo fits the bench better. he can be a 2nd/3rd option when the bench is on the court. offensive spark off the bench. beverly and asik will be the defensive hounds and will offset some of dmo's weaknesses.

Agreed..I still want to see how Dmo looks with the muscle he put on..we havnt got a chance to see him play at all..Tjones already has the leg up with reb and help def..which te team needs more anyway..if he can add a decent shot he should staet

#17 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

Any theories as to why the Rockets didn't have D-Mo didn't put in some work at Summer League?

"Assets" -- Daryl Morey

#18 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
  • 271 posts
  • LocationAbilene

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

He was working with his national team, and the Rockets allowed him to due that instead of Summer League. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users