#1 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

I was reading an artical on nbc sports by kurt helin about how much of a dud this years trade deadline was and why. he offered 3 main reasons. 1 most trades being dicussed really had no chance of happening 2 the big trades happened before the deadline and 3 the new luxury tax/repeater tax has teams afraid to absorb bad contracts. I would like to open a dicussion on #3. this is something the readers here know I have been preaching for months now. teams will no longer be able to play with monopoly money. one of the reasons I love morey as a GM is he doesn't do bad contracts. yes there are players we take chances on from time to time, but even if they fall it almost always seems like they are on contracts that didn't hurt us anyway. me and thejohnnygold were having a discussion about this in another thread and I laid out a list of teams who would be in panic mode by the end of this year in fear of this tax. over 1/3 of the league is in danger of falling into this trap and are right now trying to figure out a way to reduce payroll without looking cheap. that's why we got harden. that's why we saw rudy gay traded. that's why howard and j smith were being dicussed. this is why golden state made their trades. these are leaks in the dam. the dam bursting event will start this summer when the salary cap for this year has been figured out. this is why I wanted the the rockets to stand pat this trade deadline. but leave it to morey to wow me. he manage to make a trade to bring in a #5 pick in the draft, open up even more cap room, and overall improve the outlook of this team longterm. his understanding of this new cba is off the charts. the poison pill deals we aquired asik and lin through were genius pure and simply. we tryed to trade for asik the year b4 and the bulls said no. morey took asik from them for nothing using a loophole in the new cba. as teams try to get there houses in order talent will start to hit the market that surpirses even the most liberal of viewers. the days of teams throwing money at marginal players is over. sure the superstars will still command big bucks, but the kris humphies of the league are about to get a rude awaking. we will start to see more and more teams walk away from players who are marginal, but want big bucks as teams clean house. the rockets right now could not be sitting prettier. we are in position to take advantage of one of these teams in much the same way we did the kings. how long can the teams like LA, the nets,the bulls and denver hold out...........not long

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

RBF, this is something I was thinking about earlier as well. Not in the exact same way, but in terms of what moves the Rockets may have in mind for the Summer. I don't see us fleecing a team for a star and taking on bad contracts is not part of the plan. I see three options for us: free agents, player options, and expiring contracts. Obviously, I cannot evaluate the draft and anything that can happen there.

So, here is my list of players I feel the Rockets could benefit from.

Free Agents
---------------
Josh Smith
Dwight Howard
Chris Paul
Paul Millsap*
JJ Redick
Kevin Martin
Wayne Ellington
Martell Webster
Royal Ivey
Andray Blatche

Player Option
---------------
OJ Mayo
Marreese Speights

Expiring
----------------
Greg Monroe
Marreese Speights
Marcin Gortat
Samuel Dalembert

I am not convinced that we can bring any of the top "stars" in--including Dwight. The bidding will be tough and while we should be able to offer a max deal it does not guarantee anyone will take it. Bearing that in mind I have included other names that we might consider offering minor deals to that will help solidify and strengthen the roster. I also believe that if we do not land a star there is a good chance we make a trade for an expiring deal. This gives us the bird rights should we decide we want to keep them, or we let them walk and have a go at Lebron or one of these other players in 2014: (Note: these are all tentatively listed and would need re-evaluation when the time comes).

2014 Free Agents
-----------------
Lebron James
Chris Bosh
Larry Sanders
Greivis Vasquez
Carmelo Anthony
DeMarcus Cousins
Derrick Favors
John Wall

I think we can all agree that aside from a second "star" the Rockets could use help at the back-up center, back-up 2-guard, and back-up point guard.....I am hoping that Beverley and Anderson can be those guys, but if not....these guys all can fill that void and quite a few could be fairly inexpensive...others, like Blatche, will proabably get over-paid.

Again, I am not as convinced as RBF that teams are going to hold fire sales for their best players. I think what will hit the market is over-paid/under-performing players locked into contracts with 2-3 more years on them. I am curious what names you think are going to hit the market, RBF. Cap Space is the NBA's second most valuable commodity--after a true star player (maybe third behind rookie contracts)--I think most teams will spend it wisely when it comes to picking up these big contracts.

#3 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

It was a dud because Morey decided to only fleece one team this year.

#4 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 157 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

If we keep our cap space to 2014, I think we have a shot at Lebron James. He could be looking to expand his brand further into China and where else to do so, than with the Rockets? Also, he seems to be focusing solely on rings and I think the Rockets have a GREAT shot at being able to offer a better supporting cast than Miami and maybe even Cleveland by that time.

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 360 posts
      • LocationAustin

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

Yeah, it is a possibility that Lebron may fly the coop if D-Wade just can't play at a high enough level. I do think we would be attrative and compatible with Lebron. My concern is that Lebron can pretty easily just get guys to join him in Miami....I mean, houston vs. Miami???? Maybe I'm jaded... ;)

I think it would be tough to compete with Lebron in recruiting...I mean, if you are Demarcus Cousins, Derrick Favors, John Wall, etc....and Lebron calls you up and says, "Hey, come help me win more championships"....who says no to that?

Personally, I'd like to take a look at Cousins and Favors....our guards will be hitting their primes....if our bigs aren't set by then I'd love to grab those two and DESTROY!!!!

#6 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 133 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

thejohnnygold, on 23 February 2013 - 12:47 AM, said:

Yeah, it is a possibility that Lebron may fly the coop if D-Wade just can't play at a high enough level. I do think we would be attrative and compatible with Lebron. My concern is that Lebron can pretty easily just get guys to join him in Miami....I mean, houston vs. Miami???? Maybe I'm jaded... ;)/>

I think it would be tough to compete with Lebron in recruiting...I mean, if you are Demarcus Cousins, Derrick Favors, John Wall, etc....and Lebron calls you up and says, "Hey, come help me win more championships"....who says no to that?

Personally, I'd like to take a look at Cousins and Favors....our guards will be hitting their primes....if our bigs aren't set by then I'd love to grab those two and DESTROY!!!!

Except they will be restricted free agents, with Seattle and Utah having the rights to match. Don't see either letting Favors or Cousins walking for free.

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 360 posts
        • LocationAustin

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:24 AM

Are they? I didn't see that. I guess it's time for more "poison pills"....

#8 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 148 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:33 AM

I don't see Lebron leaving in 2014, but I agree that I can see him trying to attract other FAs to Miami. With that happening though, Bosh is on the outs. I would love picking up Bosh for our team. He is a quality player who has gone from overvalued to undervalued, and maybe back again, I don't know haha. Can play that stretch 4 for us (though not to the point where he'd regularly be able to take 3's), or down low. 4 or 5 position. Good age for rest of Harden's contract.

I was also recently reading this: http://espn.go.com/l...t-inappropriate

Made me think that while LAL would never amnesty Kobe...if they re-sign D12, would they amnesty Pau?! lol. If not, I can imagine they would at least trade him. $185M is...a REALLY large bite to swallow! If we miss out on D12 this summer, I would rather we not cripple our flexibility on the likes of JSmoove or Millsap and instead take an expiring player like Pau. Then boom, 2014.

I was even having crazy fantasies of us snatching up D12 this offseason, then trading w/ the TWolves for KLove. He does not like it there; will probably duck out of his last season. We'd give them Parsons, Asik and TRob. Salaries essentially match, and they get a good haul that fills needs (they'd let Pekovic walk, his rookie K ends). Parsons and Asik both have 2 yrs left on their deal then, so not just expirings (esp. Parsons), and TRob would be a high value asset that's on a rookie K.

We'd get KLove. Lin/Harden/Delfino or someone else Morey finds/KLove/Dwight Howard. Damn, that almost looks like a fake nba 2k13 team, assuming KLove and Dwight are a bit closer to 100%. Bah, I'm just dreaming.

#9 Steven

Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 133 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

thejohnnygold, on 23 February 2013 - 03:24 AM, said:

Are they? I didn't see that. I guess it's time for more "poison pills"....

You can't poison pill a restricted FA who has 4 yrs experience. Asik and Lin were coming out of their second year, thus they fell into the "Arenas" rule. You could only offer them a max of $5M each of the first two years.

#10 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 619 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostSteven, on 23 February 2013 - 02:50 AM, said:

Except they will be restricted free agents, with Seattle and Utah having the rights to match. Don't see either letting Favors or Cousins walking for free.
            hard to figure out what the kings/sonics are doing. they have done things as stupid or even more stupid than that. who knows? as for utah they won't let favors walk period. he is their future.

#11 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 619 posts
            • Locationhouston

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

thejohnnygold:
            it has yet to be determined what will really hit the market this off season. my point is teams will began to consider moving players that they wouldn't have even considered if it were not for the new rules of the cba. even miami will have to make some tuff choices. consider this ..........even though miami won the championship last year they are still middle of the pack attendance wise. they don't have the money of LA or NY. they are a small market team. if you can't sellout the arena after winning a championship you better have a backup plan for revenue. even if LA misses the playoffs this year they will make more money on a bad season than possibly miami will after winning the title. what this cba is designed to do is limit teams hoarding talent. while the small markets teams will still be at a disadvantage the gap between the rich and the poor is closing. this is where the rockets come in. as the rich cast off some jewels trying to get their house in order, we are in such ideal position we will have the pick of the litter of the castoffs. yes most of these teams will attempt to keep their stars, but some simply have to many good players to be able to keep them all ie LA and denver. that's what happened to OKC. trust me if it were not for the looming tax bill harden would still be in OKC.

#12 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 157 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Danny Granger will be avaialable for peanuts. The reason Indiana didn't let him go, is because of his injury, his stock was low. But they will get rid of him and try to re-sign David West and the rest of them.

#13 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 148 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

View Posttimetodienow1234567, on 23 February 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

Danny Granger will be avaialable for peanuts. The reason Indiana didn't let him go, is because of his injury, his stock was low. But they will get rid of him and try to re-sign David West and the rest of them.

The real question is, do we go after him if we really, really like peanuts? lol

#14 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 619 posts
                • Locationhouston

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

you know looking at the rockets play more an more i'm starting to believe we will be alright at point guard for now. there is no one available inpressive enough to warrent realisticly chasing them. if we can get bledsoe at end of this year excellent do it. we aren't going to get cp3, but it won't hurt to kick the tires B)  i'm starting to believe we need a wing player who can swing between big guard and small forward, but is mostly small forward. denver is a team with a cubbard full of these type players and will be one of the teams in danger of the luxury tax. maybe we can lift one of these players off their hands. at below market value of course :lol: outside of d-12 and cp3 I don't see another star worth us pursuing unless we can convince j-smith to play small forward. again we have to be patient until something more apealing hits the market. I don't think the rockets should waste their time chasing players like granger, but someone to combine with parsons to offer more stability at that position might be just what the doctor ordered. :rolleyes:  

#15 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 296 posts
                • LocationSixth Mount from East to West

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

you know looking at the rockets play more an more i'm starting to believe we will be alright at point guard for now. there is no one available inpressive enough to warrent realisticly chasing them. if we can get bledsoe at end of this year excellent do it. we aren't going to get cp3, but it won't hurt to kick the tires B)  i'm starting to believe we need a wing player who can swing between big guard and small forward, but is mostly small forward. denver is a team with a cubbard full of these type players and will be one of the teams in danger of the luxury tax. maybe we can lift one of these players off their hands. at below market value of course :lol:

I'd be happy to take Gallo....but I can settle for Chandler. Besides, Iggy is on a contract year, would you pursue him? I believe he isn't happy playing SG full time.

#16 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 148 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

I'd be happy to take Gallo....but I can settle for Chandler. Besides, Iggy is on a contract year, would you pursue him? I believe he isn't happy playing SG full time.

No and no, for me. Having Gallo with Parsons, maybe, though that doesn't seem the most efficient use of our cap space. But I definitely don't think we're settling for Chandler over Gallo. Chandler assists more, rebounds more, and has a much more efficient FG% (47% Parsons vs. 42% Gallo). 42% is just too low for me. Gallo scores a couple more points on near similar minutes, but takes an extra shot a game and, more importantly, draws more fouls (for similar FT%; their 3pt% is really similar too). So he does do that better, but I think it is arguable which is even the better player, before we even consider Parsons has had ~1 yr of experience vs. Gallo's ~4 yrs, and Gallo makes $9.5M vs. Parson's 900k. $8.5M for an arguably similar caliber player...meh.

And Iggy would NOT work on our team. We have a faster pace than the Nuggets, but even their fast pace is screwing up Iggy's game. This season he has done quite subpar because he's just not that good in that type of system. Slow it down and more of a halfcourt game, sure, but Iggy would not fit right in to our current system. His 3pt% this season (heck, even career) is below average, at 31%. 

#17 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 360 posts
                  • LocationAustin

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

Jordan Hamilton would be a steal for us off of Denver's roster....he would excel in our system...that's how he played in college....that's why Denver drafted him.  He is a true SF with good all-around abilities.  He has been a career back-up so should have no problem fitting into our team model.  He can finish in the paint, shoots above average on 3's and doesn't shoot many mid-range jumpers.  Poor ft% is his only knock.

Agree that Beverley looks like he understands what it takes to keep his job and is doing it--he is quickly becoming a favorite player.  PF definitely needs time to simmer and develop before stirring the pot again.  A back up center would be nice, but maybe Smith and Motie can platoon that position for us.  The more I watch G. Smith the more I believe he might be one of Charles Barkley's illegitimate sons....we can only hope :) .

On a different note, am I the only one that finds Delfino unlikeable?  I want to like him....but he just seems like an A@@hole.  Anyone have a nice anecdote about him...?

#18 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 432 posts
                  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Jordan Hamilton would be a steal for us off of Denver's roster....he would excel in our system...that's how he played in college....that's why Denver drafted him.  He is a true SF with good all-around abilities.  He has been a career back-up so should have no problem fitting into our team model.  He can finish in the paint, shoots above average on 3's and doesn't shoot many mid-range jumpers.  Poor ft% is his only knock.

Agree that Beverley looks like he understands what it takes to keep his job and is doing it--he is quickly becoming a favorite player.  PF definitely needs time to simmer and develop before stirring the pot again.  A back up center would be nice, but maybe Smith and Motie can platoon that position for us.  The more I watch G. Smith the more I believe he might be one of Charles Barkley's illegitimate sons....we can only hope :) .

On a different note, am I the only one that finds Delfino unlikeable?  I want to like him....but he just seems like an A@@hole.  Anyone have a nice anecdote about him...?

Come on, how can you not like someone who does reactions like this? :P

iSLkMFzRMRxN.gif

#19 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 157 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Delfino makes me laugh.

#20 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
                    • 461 posts
                    • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Here seems to be an excerpt from an interview from around the time he was drafted by Detroit around 2004 I guess. I wonder how much he has changed since then. I am not sure what there is to not like about Delfino, I kind of like those Argentinians and how hard they play (Delfino, Scola and Ginobli).

http://www.basketbal...no-article.html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users