Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  txtdo1411 : (20 August 2014 - 10:13 PM) Bledsoe scares me because of the injuries... that being said it is still probably the right move.
@  jorgeaam : (20 August 2014 - 10:09 PM) Let's go Morey!
@  jorgeaam : (20 August 2014 - 10:09 PM) The Suns are now discussing trade possibilities for restricted free agent Eric Bledsoe, according to Jude LaCava of FOX Phoenix.
@  thejohnnygold : (20 August 2014 - 04:52 AM) That article is a nice change of pace :)
@  Buckko : (20 August 2014 - 01:14 AM) http://probasketball...am-usa/related/ About Harden being the leader for team USA.
@  rockets best... : (17 August 2014 - 07:23 PM) good find Buckko
@  Buckko : (17 August 2014 - 05:35 PM) One for Covington too http://www.ridiculou...houston-rockets
@  Buckko : (17 August 2014 - 05:34 PM) http://www.ridiculou...ets-next-season
@  Buckko : (17 August 2014 - 05:34 PM) Great article on Troy Daniels
@  Buckko : (17 August 2014 - 04:49 PM) Harden stat line 18/5/5/2/2 with 2 TOs and 11-11 from the line.
@  Willk : (17 August 2014 - 01:12 AM) harden's passing is unbelievable tonight
@  Cooper : (15 August 2014 - 03:31 AM) yeah the injury aspect is overrated they're gonna play somewhere might as well be with top notch coaches, players, and training staffs.
@  feelingsuper... : (14 August 2014 - 11:31 PM) Players could get hurt at any time and they play all summer. On Team USA they have the best courts, coaches and trainers so to me it's pretty clear that I'd rather have Harden on USA than playing the Drew.
@  jorgeaam : (14 August 2014 - 11:30 PM) Well, last year there was smoke in the arena because of a short circuit, so the game wasn't played, but yes, that game included the Wolves too
@  rockets best... : (14 August 2014 - 11:00 PM) Cousins hurt at team USA's practice today. how many injuries will it take before the NBA looks at a review of policy?
@  RollingWave : (14 August 2014 - 08:27 AM) Isn't this the second strait year the Wolfs play in Mexico? I think the NBA i setting them up to move there lol
@  jorgeaam : (14 August 2014 - 02:53 AM) So the Rockets will be playing a game in my country, Nov 12 in Mexico City against the Wolves
@  Adi1008 : (14 August 2014 - 02:35 AM) Here's the NBA schedule: http://i.usatoday.ne...eam_by_team.pdf
@  thejohnnygold : (13 August 2014 - 07:01 PM) ...and that's how the NBA generates ratings :)
@  jorgeaam : (13 August 2014 - 06:15 PM) So from what I read in a B/R article, it seems we are facing the Lakers on opening night

Photo

Rondo

Forget J Smoove and Howard

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Kade

Kade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

If the Rockets want to make a big splash they need to go after Rondo who is a top 10 NBA player. I hope we don't go after and get either Howard or Smith, one guy is more concerned about his brand than winning and the other won't stop taking and missing mid range jump shots. Both players fall under "if I could just coach them right, I'll hit paydirt" players but deep down you know a leopard never changes its spots.

Rondo on the other hand is a game changer and would be ideal for us. Using the trade machine Lin for Rondo would fit. Of course the Celtics would want more so perhaps another player and/or draft pics could be thrown in with another salary dump Celtic player could be sent back to us.

I really like Lin and was ticked and voiced my displeasure when Morey and staff didn't see his value while he was on our roster the first time (come on Morey you have to know your two PG at the time you were going to trade them both so should have kept Lin) but unfortunately McHale doesn't seem to be going anywhere and he and Lin are like oil and water. The Celtics aren't getting any younger and looking for the future and with Morey having strong ties with the Celtics I'd LOVE if we could Rondo and look at next year as being more of a threat. The Rockets aren't going to make noise this year and getting a top 10 player in return a guy who when playing prime time games is virtually unstoppable Morey has got to make this happen. Anyone but Harden should be on the table.

Forget Howard and Smith, Morey, and focus on getting someone who will lead your team. Get Rondo. Pronto.

Fire away.

#2 Steven

Steven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

Rondo = Locker room cancer.

Why did Ray Allen take less money to play in Miami instead of giving it one last run with Pierce and Garnett? RONDO!!!!!

Rondo is a ballstop = Melo. He wants to be the only person who gets an assist. Boston is better with all the old guys without Rondo. That's all you need to know about Rondo's game.

#3 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

Kade, I like Rondo as a player and if this were a 3 on 3 league he would be an excellent player to have. He can do everything and do it better than most....even his shooting is coming along faster than anyone thought. In the context of the Rockets....man, I don't know. That is a BIG gamble. I'm not sure he fits our philosophy which might diminish his value and effectiveness for us. Again, not doubting the obvious talent--just not sure it suits us. I would be curious to know how well he and Harden get along because that is paramount to any other consideration.

As for the celtics, I think if we threw in Terrance Jones with Lin they might bite. Here's the thing you have to ask yourself. Why would Boston trade a top PG in his prime? Those don't grow on trees. What if Rondo's star shines so bright because he steals the light from his teammates? Rondo reminds me of Kobe when I look at his eyes, demeanor and intensity. Good? Bad? I don't know. Playing next to Pierce and Garnett is different from a group of young guys like we have. Does he have the patience to guide and teach them or will he grow weary of the fact that they aren't Garnett and Pierce--guys who know what to do and do it. SUCH A BIG RISK!!!

On the other hand, Devin Harris is available.....

#4 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

I like Rondo a bit more than Steven does, but I also like Howard more than Kade does lol. The thing about a move for Rondo is, I can't imagine us getting him without giving up more. A deal centered around Lin will take a lot more. Maybe if we threw in Parsons and some young assets? But I don't quite feel a Rondo/Harden/nobody/nobody/Asik +thinned bench does it for us.

But then again, if we match Rondo's ~11M with a Lin/young asset/Parsons sort of deal, we could still get a JSmoove or Millsap player in the offseason. That'd be kind of ridiculous: Rondo/Harden/??/JSmoove or Millsap/Asik, with 2Pat off the bench and some other role players/prospects. That's pretty lethal for the next 5 yrs for sure.

I do share JG's concern though on whether Rondo fits our team philosophy. That is trickier than Howard, who moreso just doesn't fit our current team composition. The latter is easy to change, if we say traded Asik (selling high) to get another great piece. Man, I really like the Rockets flexibility right now.

#5 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

Rondo = Locker room cancer.

Why did Ray Allen take less money to play in Miami instead of giving it one last run with Pierce and Garnett? RONDO!!!!!

Rondo is a ballstop = Melo. He wants to be the only person who gets an assist. Boston is better with all the old guys without Rondo. That's all you need to know about Rondo's game.

totally agree. rondo is a ball hog. he is a player who must control the ball to be effective. I really don't know if he is capable of sharing. in boston he plays with seasoned vet, but here there is no one outside of hardin that has any possibility of getting the ball away from him. his attitude stinks. while I like him as a player, I don't like him in rocket red.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#6 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

Rondo also falls into the category of "if only he could hit a jumper!"

Why so Serious? :D

#7 Kade

Kade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

Current PER ranks among PG:

21 Darren Collison
24 George Hill
26 Will Bynum
30 Brian Roberts
31 Jimmer Fredette
34 John Lucas
36 Jeremy Lin

Awful...just awful

Never said Rondo has ZERO negatives but he's light years ahead of Lin

I'd trade Lin and Robinson for Rondo or something similar.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/

#8 Kade

Kade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Ditto with Lin plus when you want to rack up negatives Rondo has one or two whereas Lin has many many more. This isn't a trade Harden for Rondo thread, it's Lin for Rondo for starters.

We need a little more experience, outside of Harden nobody else on Rox knows how to play playoff basketball.

#9 Kade

Kade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

I like Rondo a bit more than Steven does, but I also like Howard more than Kade does lol. The thing about a move for Rondo is, I can't imagine us getting him without giving up more. A deal centered around Lin will take a lot more. Maybe if we threw in Parsons and some young assets? But I don't quite feel a Rondo/Harden/nobody/nobody/Asik +thinned bench does it for us.

But then again, if we match Rondo's ~11M with a Lin/young asset/Parsons sort of deal, we could still get a JSmoove or Millsap player in the offseason. That'd be kind of ridiculous: Rondo/Harden/??/JSmoove or Millsap/Asik, with 2Pat off the bench and some other role players/prospects. That's pretty lethal for the next 5 yrs for sure.

I do share JG's concern though on whether Rondo fits our team philosophy. That is trickier than Howard, who moreso just doesn't fit our current team composition. The latter is easy to change, if we say traded Asik (selling high) to get another great piece. Man, I really like the Rockets flexibility right now.

I LOVE prime time Rondo, the guy you see in the playoffs or on TNT/ESPN. Watching him play when he's not on TV, not so much. That said it speaks volumes that KG, Pierce and Allen (when he was there) passed the leadership over to Rondo. I trust their knowledge of basketball and you know there's no way KG would if he thought Rondo didn't have the skills and mentality to do so.

Honestly, unless we get another coach who can make Lin a better PG instead of a worse one with McHale running the show it makes no sense having Lin on our team at that salary. McHale and Lin are like oil and water, a horrible match.

#10 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

rondo is a horrible fit for houston, he likes to slow the game down and pick apart the defense, harden and co. are better off in a uptempo offense. and as far as criticizing lin's jumper, you must not be watching any of the recent games. we need a big man not a pg(unless its lin for bledsoe straight up).

#11 areteejay789

areteejay789

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Rondo's outside shooting (or lack of) plus Asik plus T-Rob would just lead to a really tightly packed D, and no space for harden to drive in. Also, Rondo needs the ball in his hands to be effective. hes not a finisher, hes a creator. We already have that in Harden. Im not saying hes not a good player, but his talents wouldn't be used to the fullest extent in houston, so why waste our assets on him? If it was Lin for Harden straight, i might be more interested in it, but we would defo have to include more players so, why waste them?

#12 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,094 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

I echo what most everybody is writing here. Sure Rondo is leaps and bounds better than Lin and many others but that's not what this is all about. Aside from the fact that Lin could be moved to a sixth man spot at some point whereas with Rondo you are stuck with him. Rondo would be just about the worst fit possible for this team and I wouldn't have even commented on this except that I believe it is such a poor idea. Rondo is a rich man's Lowry and he didn't fit in with what Morey and McHale are building and there is no way Rondo would. Besides Ainge doesn't need anything the Rockets would part with and Ainge definitely wouldn't be interested in Lin so it's not even realistic. This is not a fantasy basketball team where you just check lists and pick players, come on man. Besides being a scheme and advanced stats disaster even more importantly it would do little to help the team building process that is quite successfully underway here in Houston.

Not all isolation plays are equal.

#13 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Current PER ranks among PG:

21 Darren Collison
24 George Hill
26 Will Bynum
30 Brian Roberts
31 Jimmer Fredette
34 John Lucas
36 Jeremy Lin

Awful...just awful

Never said Rondo has ZERO negatives but he's light years ahead of Lin

I'd trade Lin and Robinson for Rondo or something similar.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/

Rondo, in his second year....ranked #35 amongst guards....his stats? 10 pts, 4 rbs., 5 asts in 30 mins/gm. (Sorry, but relativity counts.)

Lin, in his second year....ranked #36 amongst guards....his stats? 12.9 pts, 3.5 rbs, 6.5 asts in 32.8 mins/gm.

only 5 assists passing to pierce, allen and KG!!!!!!! geez, that guy must suck.... :rolleyes:

#14 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,094 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Makes you wonder hypothetically what Lin could have achieved playing with Pierce, Allen and Garnett. Very good point johnnygold.

Not all isolation plays are equal.

#15 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

definitely. It also leads me to believe that Lin can, and will, develop into a solid PG. He won't ever be Chris Paul or Steve Nash....but if he winds up averaging 18 pts, 5 rbs, 8 asts, and 2 stls with 2-3 to's a night I'll be a happy camper.

In glancing at Lin's stats he is actually rated pretty high in quite a few. Really, he just needs to work on his efficiency and consistency....his shooting %'s could each use a 5 point bump....after that a little better turn-over ratio and he is in the conversation for top 5 PG, IMO. Realistically, that isn't asking very much...5 more shots go in out of every 100 taken. I am pretty sure he can handle that...probably will end up doing better. Yay!

#16 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
  • 284 posts
  • LocationAbilene

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

I think Lin has a huge upside as a spot-up shooter alongside Harden, as shown by last night and the past few weeks. Lin has been knocking down threes at a very good rate. Harden's drives free up shooters around the perimeter, and Lin has been doing a better job of hitting from downtown on those attempts.

Given his youth and his work ethic, I think he will go into the off-season looking to improve his outside shooting even more to better compliment Harden. This past summer was more about getting prepared to be a number one scoring option and facilitator, then all of a sudden he is relegated to a significantly different niche of the offense. My feeling is that Rondo will demand the ball in his hands much more than Lin, who has already shown willingness to cede some of those duties to Harden. I think bringing in Rondo would hamper Harden's ascension into the upper echelon of offensive players, and would not produce as efficiently on the wide-open looks that Harden is so great at creating.

My feeling from this season so far is that Harden and Lin can not only coexist, but can flourish together. Both are young and have room to grow as individual players and as teammates. The aforementioned trade would be better on paper, but I am quite happy with waiting and watching Lin and Harden run amok over the next few years.

#17 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

Lin's goals in the offseason to become an all-star.
1) Improve outside shooting
2) Improve finishing abilities on drives
3) Improve on defense

Why so Serious? :D

#18 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I think he should go to the Steve Nash Camp this offseason....

I liked Rahat's observation about improving his dribbling skills...for a guard you can never have enough of those.

These are his numbers from the last 30 days in the paint, mid-range, and from 3:

Paint: 51.4%fg and 1.03 points per shot

Mid-range: 48%fg and .96 pps

3 pt: 47.1%fg and 1.41 pps

Supports what DrewinAbilene was saying about Lin's recent shooting.

Just for fun, here are Harden's over the same stretch:

Paint: 57.6%fg and 1.15 pps

Mid-range: 50%fg and 1pps

3 pt: 50.8%fg and 1.53 pps

Let's look at Lebron while we're here:

Paint: 74.8%fg and 1.5pps

Mid-range: 50.7%fg and 1.01pps

3 pt: 45.3%fg and 1.36pps

Posted Image

#19 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

Like most said: Rondo looks great on paper and on primetime, but is well known that he is difficult to coach and a controling freak. We are looking nice right now, I would hate to see Houston mess with that. Lin has learned his spot in this team and has been playing very nice, more confident and more effective, and that makes easier for Harden to trust him when he pass it outside, leading to less turnovers and more great looks. Don't mess with what's working, please!

#20 PKM

PKM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:15 AM

Also...Rondo is not a top 10 player. At all.

James, Durant, Paul, Parker, Harden, Melo, Kobe, Wade, Duncan, and Westbrook to me are easily above Rondo. I also think Griffin and Irving are also clearly above him as well, and then there's others like Randolph, Marc Gasol, Stephen Curry, and Rose ( normally not relevant to these discussions, but relevant compared to Rondo since they have the same injury which obviously Rose will return from first). Top it off with the fact that Rondo is possibly the worst possible fit for Harden and no.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users