Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  txtdo1411 : (20 December 2014 - 05:10 PM) I disagree Cooper. He is a fairly good handler and passer, so I could see him cutting into Canaan's minutes with the second unit.
@  Cooper : (20 December 2014 - 12:24 AM) Ideally shved isn't going to play a whole lot
@  jorgeaam : (20 December 2014 - 12:22 AM) Philly has become the official dumpster of the nba
@  YaoMan : (20 December 2014 - 12:20 AM) Giving Rockets lots of options. Terry and Shved can play together when Harden and Bev are resting...
@  jorgeaam : (20 December 2014 - 12:18 AM) He's 6'6 and can handle the ball
@  jorgeaam : (20 December 2014 - 12:18 AM) Yes, Shved is probably playing PG/SG
@  YaoMan : (20 December 2014 - 12:15 AM) Is Shved going to play back up PG? Would that also mean Papa gets more time at the 4?
@  YaoMan : (20 December 2014 - 12:04 AM) Shved is coming to the Rockets too???
@  jorgeaam : (19 December 2014 - 11:37 PM) Alexey Shved has been traded to the Rockets in exchange for Ronny Turiaf./ Rockets waive G/F Francisco Garcia.
@  jorgeaam : (19 December 2014 - 11:37 PM) There we go
@  thenit : (19 December 2014 - 10:16 PM) I think Morey wanted Brewer from the get go. But he got them mixed up last season and got the wrong one.
@  YaoMan : (19 December 2014 - 09:43 PM) With Brewer, the Rox can have superior defense all around. Imagine Brewer, Ariza, Howard and Bev pestering the heck out of opposing offenses...
@  Mario Peña : (19 December 2014 - 08:32 PM) This is good news and hopefully Brewer slips right in.
@  YaoMan : (19 December 2014 - 08:04 PM) I like Troy but Brewer will definitely help the Rox
@  jorgeaam : (19 December 2014 - 08:03 PM) Turiaf is out for the year, so he is definitely going somewhere else, Rockets not done trading
@  jorgeaam : (19 December 2014 - 08:02 PM) Here's another link http://sports.yahoo....-194852845.html
@  Cooper : (19 December 2014 - 08:02 PM) brewer for daniels possibly with turiaf going somewhere
@  jorgeaam : (19 December 2014 - 08:01 PM) Along with Brewer is Turiaf, traded Troy Daniels and the Rockets must waive somebody
@  jorgeaam : (19 December 2014 - 08:00 PM) https://twitter.com/...025897019846656
@  jorgeaam : (19 December 2014 - 08:00 PM) Wojnarowski

Photo

An Argument For JJ Reddick

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,708 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

It is All-Star Weekend and nothing is happening in the NBA--especially defense. The trade deadline approaches and the Rockets have all but said they are standing pat until the Summer. Still, I think a deal can be made that brings the Rockets closer to the ultimate goal: NBA supremacy.

Pondering what separates us from the NBA elite I was looking at some stats and saw that we fall 11th in 3pt FG%. Not bad, for sure, but given our offensive tendencies increasing this statistic would provide a quiet boon. We have a lack of depth at the 2 guard spot (James Anderson is admirably trying to be that guy) and a surplus at the 4.

Presuming the Rockets will sign a player this Summer to play the 4 a small trade to acquire an elite 3 pt shooter could be a shrewd move towards more winning.

JJ Reddick shoots a hair over 40% from 3, has veteran savvy and a Duke pedigree. He and Dwight are also familiar with each other from Orlando (a small recruiting boost). Having him as an option to play as a second unit scorer, floor spacer, and end of game high % shooter (also shoots 88% FT) can't hurt.

Orlando is rumored to be asking a high price for him (including draft picks--which we don't have), but realistically, I don't see anyone offering as much as they are asking. I feel an offer of Toney Douglass, Terrance Jones, and Greg Smith is pretty reasonable. It gives them two solid prospects plus either an expiring contract, or they can re-sign Douglass to fill out their backcourt. Houston adds a little bit of salary (around $1.6 million net) and can re-sign Reddick, or, if the price is too high, a sign and trade shouldn't be too difficult--there are always teams looking for a sharp-shooter.

Bottom line: we simply aren't using these guys and their value decreases the longer we wait. The odds of them contributing diminishes once we bring in free agent X over the Summer. Why not acquire a stud shooter to help power our offense? his defensive limitations are mitigated by a strong front court defense which, hopefully, will include Asik and Howard next year.

Orlando may not receive a better offer and I think this one is worth the risk and loss of potential. Besides, D-Mo is the guy we want on the roster--not Smith and Jones.

We would still have Morris, Patterson, D-Mo, and free agent x at the 4 plus Royce White's enigmatic potential.

Who's with me?

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,708 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Here's more...

I know we love our numbers...at least, I do....so here are some nice ones for Redick (just realized there is only 1 "d")...

True Shooting % of .602 (For comparison, James Harden's TS% is .602 and Durant shoots a ridiculous .655)

Effective FG% of .563

Did you know....the Rockets boast 3 players in the top 25 of eFG%? Omer Asik (24), Chandler Parsons (22), and Patrick Patterson (18). James Harden is #60. Reddick is #12. By acquiring Redick that would give us 4 top 25 eFG% shooters. For a team that values efficiency this seems to make sense. (Stats from teamrankings.com)

1/3 of his shots come in the "crunch" category and he shoots a decent 47.9% efg for those.

39% of his shots come in the closing seconds of the shot clock where he shoots a sizzling 65.6% efg

All signs point to him being an effective and willing passer with an above average basketball IQ and he has drawn comparisons to Larry Bird regarding his work ethic and shooting--whatever that's worth. He can effectively play the point for short stretches--which is nice.

#3 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

I think it works only because defense isn't a priority(or even a thought) for most of our players. He is a quality passer too.

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,708 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Posted Image

How about a 2.1 assist to turnover ratio?

And check out this shooting chart which has some fun tools.

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,708 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

I think it works only because defense isn't a priority(or even a thought) for most of our players. He is a quality passer too.

It's true, this trade is with the idea that we bring in some defensive help this Summer. Redick's offensive numbers are all above average and defensively below average. Still, according to the +/- stats he puts more on the table then he takes off so the net gain is positive.

#6 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

Redick is a legitimate target in the offseason as a free agent - I think a wing rotation of Harden/Parsons/Redick/Delfino sounds pretty strong. However, unless we can get him for cheap though I don't think he's worth trading assets for now. He's going to be a free agent in the offseason and I suspect he's going to test the waters no matter which team he's on post-trade deadline.

ST

#7 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

I said some time ago that we needed a realiable 3 point shooter to go along with Delfino and mask our team shooting slumps. I think, for our current strategy and short team goals, would be a great add as long as we don't have to give up ANY of our current rotation players (and by that, I mean anyone who is playing 20 mpg or more), plus, D-Mo is off the table. With those conditions, I'm all in

#8 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

I like reddick however I think the magic are asking too much for him and he will demand quite a bit for his new contract probably 8mill or more and I wouldn't want to overpay for him in a trade just for the right to overpay his contract. If they'd take Douglas and jones/smith that'd be ok but they already have some nice front court pieces (vuvecic and Nicholson) so they might not value our pf prospects.

#9 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,708 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

All good points. I definitely don't want to over-pay for Redick. Waiting until free agency I think we would have to overpay to get him; however, if we bring him in now (for pieces we aren't really using and may never pan out) he may decide to stay for less money once he sees Dwight in rocket red and realizes he has a chance to win some titles that will bolster his resume once he is done playing so he can jump into the broadcast booth. (ok, a little far-fetched, but not out of the realm of possibility).

For Orlando, I don't see a lottery team trading for him and giving up first round picks. I think Redick only appeals to play-off teams..whch will have high picks--if any--to give. Having two high up-side PF's to go with their budding players plus a veteran combo guard to help Nelson out just might be enough.

I'm sure Morey has investigated Redick thoroughly...if there is a good deal to be had he'll grab it. Redick is not worth $8 million+, but I'd gladly give him a long contract for $5 million + some incentives. The guy has Steve Kerr written all over him...every good team needs a Steve Kerr. Here's to hoping....

#10 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,708 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Here are some other options to consider besides Redick:

Martell Webster (WAS) (G/SF)

Steve Novak (NYK) (F)

John Lucas (TOR) (PG)

Danny Green (SAS) (SF)

Jimmer Fredette (SAC) (G)

All have great 3pt %'s and all are priced right. Only Webster is a free agent this Summer. Would any of these teams trade their premier 3pt shooter for PF help?

I think our best chances of getting any of these players goes in this order: Webster, Fredette, Novak, Green, Lucas. I actually like the Fredette idea. He could be quite the sidekick to either lin or harden and the kid can score from anywhere....again, we aren't considering defense here.

#11 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,708 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Here's another option.....After reading the Harden article Blinebury wrote I came away wanting to play detective and figure out who Harden has been talking to about coming to Houston next year......

Presuming he isn't talking to Dwight (maybe he is), who else could it be? After a great deal of deliberation I have settled on O.J. Mayo. He has an early termination option after this year. They share the same agent. They played head to head in the Pac-10--so they have history. His game is eerily similar to Harden's both in the way it is played and his efficiency. Check out his shot chart HERE (focus on the shot zones and fg% combo). He shoots high percentages from almost everywhere...especially good from the spots the Rockets focus on...his PPS is solid and I think playing in our offensive system would actually enhance this. I think we could sign him at a mid-range price--not too much (making $4 million this year)...so maybe $5-$7mill.

Mayo shoots 3's better than most of the Rockets (especially if you take away that right corner pct.)...can drive and dish and create on his own. Now imagine the line-ups and the match-up nightmares. If we go small with Lin, Harden, Mayo I don't see how any team guards that...someone will be able to drive past their man and get to the rim. This also opens the door for a serious Sixth Man of the Year contender with Mayo. I think Dallas has suffered from too much Cuban meddling and there is no chemistry at all--just players--no team--no joy. I also think when people see Houston play they see a fun team and who doesn't want to be part of that--besides Kobe :P I know we mostly just shot down the Eric Gordon trade rumors...but that is a different animal....Gordon is less efficient, more expensive and injury-prone.

But what about Dwight???? We should still have room for Dwight....and this is where you guys are going to call me nuts, but I honestly think Howard will take less $ than he could get in order to play in Houston....because I do think Harden has been talking to him....and the guy has Peter Pan syndrome so bad he would value fun over money (which he has plenty of)....and Harden is promising fun, fun, fun!

Imagine that line-up....those combos...the mis-matches...the youth and athleticism....We then trade a couple of our PF's for future firsts from bad teams so that we can reload later on. This is my dream and it is good.

This concludes my completely and totally unsubstantiated conjecture. :rolleyes:

#12 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,015 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

thejohnnygold
that last post got me thinking. mayo is a good addition. much better than the gordon addition for our team. cheaper, less injury prone. better attitude. I also believe howard may consider taking less money to play in houston. he clearly isn't happy in LA and of the teams that have the cap room to sign him we are clearly out front. he may have changed his mind in regards to us because we now have harden. here is another factor to consider.....in LA howard will have to pay state income tax....in houston he doesn't.....that makes the 2 offers a lot closer than previously thought. yes he will leave some money on the table, but not nearly what is being touted in LA media. i'm sure his agent will have the correct numbers for him. our only drawback is dan feagen....his agent. he has a beef with the rockets front office and may try to steer howard away.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#13 joshtwillis

joshtwillis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

I like the way you think Jonny Gold, Hopefully Dwight is along the same line of thought as you
I've read your thoughts on playing Dwight And Asik together..But I wonder what the chances of that happing are seems to me if we sign Dwight, Asik will probably be on his way out......

#14 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,708 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

I like the way you think Jonny Gold, Hopefully Dwight is along the same line of thought as you
I've read your thoughts on playing Dwight And Asik together..But I wonder what the chances of that happing are seems to me if we sign Dwight, Asik will probably be on his way out......

That is certainly a possibility.....I don't think it has to happen....perhaps in year 3 when his "poison pill" comes due we might have to dump him for salary cap relief....which is a shame.

As I have said before, I do think Dwight can play the 5 or the 4. This allows us more flexibility with our line-ups, insurance against injuries, and the ability to dominate the paint on offense and defense. Let the opponent shoot 40% mid-range jump shots all day while we feast on dunks and lay-ups at a 60% clip. I like this idea.

I also think Dwight will be drawn to a city where he is not the future--the answer--the one! Harden has taken that mantle and worn it well so far. Dwight will be the wing-man--for the first time in his career. Yes, it's still "Kobe's team" in LA, but it was made clear from the get-go that Dwight would need to take it over and lead sooner than later. I don't think he is that kind of guy nor does he want to be. I think he will be drawn to the opportunity to not have that weight on his bum shoulders....

Ya know, I've never thought about it, but what if, WHAT IF, his shoulder problems are psycho-somatic and actually a metaphor for how he feels with the weight of the world on his shoulders????? Or his back problems when he had to carry the orlando magic all season????? Lift the weight and Dwight just might get healthy......it happens more often than people think....

#15 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,708 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

thejohnnygold
that last post got me thinking. mayo is a good addition. much better than the gordon addition for our team. cheaper, less injury prone. better attitude. I also believe howard may consider taking less money to play in houston. he clearly isn't happy in LA and of the teams that have the cap room to sign him we are clearly out front. he may have changed his mind in regards to us because we now have harden. here is another factor to consider.....in LA howard will have to pay state income tax....in houston he doesn't.....that makes the 2 offers a lot closer than previously thought. yes he will leave some money on the table, but not nearly what is being touted in LA media. i'm sure his agent will have the correct numbers for him. our only drawback is dan feagen....his agent. he has a beef with the rockets front office and may try to steer howard away.

That Feagan thing is a small concern. Feagan's clients include Kevin Martin, Courtney Lee, and Scott Machado. I don't know where the bad blood is, or began, but if it is there it won't help. What does help is that Dwight Howard is set to make him a lot of money and ultimately he gets paid a lot regardless. I think if Dwight feels like Feagan is pushing him in a selfish direction he may kick him to the street with nothing...best to just take your fat commission and suck it up.

I forgot about the state income tax...that's big. If the difference is say, $20 million for the extra year, that is about a 50% difference after 5 years of paying state tax vs. not paying it. My math is made up, but I am guessing that is about right. If anyone wants to do actual math feel free.

#16 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:15 AM

But there's a high property tax in Texas. So if he bought a home, it evens out.

Why so Serious? :D

#17 Heredia

Heredia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:02 AM

I'm definitely intrigued by the thought of getting O.J Mayo. or Reddick so they can help lure Dwight.

#18 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:17 AM

Property tax won't be 20 mil a year....

#19 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,015 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:25 AM

Property tax won't be 20 mil a year....

if it is you got a hell of a spread :lol:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#20 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

I've wanted OJ since last season, and for a 6th man I like it now too. I don't think he'd be satisfied coming off the bench though. I don't necessarily like a starting lineup of Lin, Mayo, Harden, Pat, Asik, short doses I think it could work well, but full time I think it would be exposed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users