Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thejohnnygold : (25 July 2016 - 04:26 PM) I think I am going to like Bobby Brown...that is within the confines of our current strategy which is score, score, SCORE!
@  slick shoes : (22 July 2016 - 08:02 PM) The "super team" Knicks? lol
@  thejohnnygold : (22 July 2016 - 06:05 PM) On Josh Smith...my guess is the Knicks eventually sign him.
@  slick shoes : (21 July 2016 - 04:29 PM) The Jet has been released. Josh Smith will likely play for another team next season. Maybe he teams up with Dwight in ATL?
@  slick shoes : (21 July 2016 - 12:17 PM) Harden is now sending hitmen after Rockets legends' sons for badmouthing him on social media *facepalm*
@  slick shoes : (18 July 2016 - 02:22 PM) If you haven't seen the 30 for 30 "The Guru of Go", I recommend it before the upcoming season.
@  Shy Silver : (14 July 2016 - 07:20 PM) Yea I know, but there were reports both sides were willing to have a reunion before Chicago signed him. So at the time, Canaan was an option, and a better one than Pablo at that. We should've capitalized on that one, especially with how well he fits the system for obvious reasons + age on his side.
@  thejohnnygold : (14 July 2016 - 03:43 PM) Canaan signed with Chicago already
@  Shy Silver : (14 July 2016 - 03:24 PM) Don't love the Prigioni move. Thought for sure we had better options like bringing Canaan back or getting someone like Shane Larkin
@  DenverRocket : (14 July 2016 - 04:36 AM) Apparently signed Prigioni to a one-year contract (veteran minimum) with a team option for a second season.
@  slick shoes : (13 July 2016 - 08:38 PM) Chris Finch is out as an assistant. Bummer.
@  slick shoes : (11 July 2016 - 03:32 PM) Shame to lose Glove Jr. before the close of Summer League. Would have liked to see him get some court time.
@  Mario Peña : (09 July 2016 - 11:21 PM) I'm going to tentatively say I'm glad this is happening. I believe James is a top 5 player with all the tools to have a great year but this team needs an all star/glue guy/leader type and then maybe the magic can happen.
@  thejohnnygold : (09 July 2016 - 09:53 PM) If he plays defense I'll be fine
@  DenverRocket : (09 July 2016 - 07:51 PM) Bad news for the anti-Harden brigade, he's just signed a 4yr extension ($118m)
@  slick shoes : (07 July 2016 - 12:46 AM) Maybe these are just pieces to a larger puzzle... (fingers crossed)
@  thejohnnygold : (06 July 2016 - 08:21 PM) Morey has had a crush on him for a long time...another offense-only guy...
@  slick shoes : (06 July 2016 - 06:22 PM) We have just signed Nene to a one year deal....
@  Mario Peña : (06 July 2016 - 04:05 AM) I don't think Harden and Russ had the kind of relationship that could lead to that combined with my hunch that Westbrook has ambitions that might lead him to a big market. I suspect they might both be too alpha to mesh.
@  thejohnnygold : (06 July 2016 - 03:15 AM) I wouldn't hate it....but I wouldn't love it either.

Photo

[video] Robert Horry, Sam Cassell on 'The Barkley Trade'

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

New post: [video] Robert Horry, Sam Cassell on 'The Barkley Trade'

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,545 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

This is why I have buyer's remorse just from considering a trade scenario. I was not happy with that trade...I get why management did it....but I think I would have preferred to keep them.

#3 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

This is why I have buyer's remorse just from considering a trade scenario. I was not happy with that trade...I get why management did it....but I think I would have preferred to keep them.

Hindsight is always 20/20. And had it not been a torn ACL by the starting PG it would have been the Rockets with Clyde Hakeem and Chuck vs. the Jordan Pippen Rodman Bulls. But Stockton tore up The backup

#4 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,265 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

totally agree, but like steven said hindsight is 20/20.

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#5 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

I always thought Cassel was the piece we missed most after the Barkley trade. You just brought back my old pain...

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,545 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. I didn't like the trade the moment I heard it. I know others around here disagree--even Rahat referred to it today in his article. He may very well be right that Barry getting injured and the Rockets moving forward with Maloney was the reason that trade ultimately did not bear fruit. My point is we would have had Horry and Casell. That would have helped too....then, and into the future.

As a history major what one learns is not just facts and dates and names, etc. That is just for reference. History is the study of lessons. Recognizing patterns of mistakes helps future decisions. Emptying the cupboard for an aging star seldom bears fruit and almost always less than what you would have had.

KG, Allen, and Pierce pulled it off.

Miami with Shaq, Wade and the referees pulled it off (i still don't really count this one...imo, the refs gave wade ridiculous calls and lots of them.)

The Lakers with Wilt (that trade is mind blowing...lakers gave up next to nothing for a guy that averaged 24 points, 23 rebounds, and 8 assists. Huh?)

I don't count the Kareem trade...he was still in his prime.

Barkley to Phoenix worked pretty well....but Phoenix did not "clear the cupboard" in that trade...Philly made a bad trade.

It's just my perception of it all. Unless you are getting Lebron or KD it's not worth it....and even then, it usually leaves very little left to put around your new star....so, still not worth it.

Maybe I am missing all the examples of when it did work and the team clearly would not have been better off standing pat. Anyone got an example?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users