Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (21 June 2017 - 04:28 PM) Morey is locked in for four more years. Glad to have some stability at the helm after everything we've seen the last couple of weeks.
@  slick shoes : (16 June 2017 - 04:31 PM) It's a shame we don't have a first rounder this year. I did notice that the W's and the Cavs have 0 picks this year (not that they need them).
@  thejohnnygold : (16 June 2017 - 03:57 PM) Whoever picks him is going to be a happy camper
@  slick shoes : (16 June 2017 - 02:00 PM) De'Aaron Fox giving Bev a shout at the end of this piece
http://www.espn.com/...var-ball-chorus
@  slick shoes : (22 May 2017 - 05:25 PM) I can't decide if I want them to draft Ball or not.
@  thejohnnygold : (21 May 2017 - 02:50 PM) Don't worry...they'll find a way to screw it up.
@  slick shoes : (17 May 2017 - 03:52 PM) Is anyone else annoyed that the league reached out and helped the Lakers secure a top 3 pick to keep them from long term ruin?
@  Mario Peña : (13 May 2017 - 11:56 AM) It would appear James will take games off next year which is probably a good thing. Perhaps we will see some evolution from emphasis on regular season to being playoff ready both from a physical as well as a strategy standpoint.
@  rocketrick : (12 May 2017 - 05:26 AM) I personally will be rooting for the Spurs in their next matchup with Golden State in the Western Conference Finals
@  rocketrick : (12 May 2017 - 05:26 AM) Congratulations to the Spurs and Coach Pop. They completely destroyed the Rockets last night (understatement of the year)
@  DenverRocket : (12 May 2017 - 02:55 AM) Very disappointing end to an otherwise great season.
@  DenverRocket : (12 May 2017 - 01:10 AM) Stunningly bad. Out played, out coached and no one is stepping up :-(
@  slick shoes : (12 May 2017 - 01:07 AM) Well, it can't get any worse right?
@  slick shoes : (12 May 2017 - 12:35 AM) It's like Dekker has been waiting to play or something.
@  08huangj : (11 May 2017 - 12:08 PM) It is utterly baffling to me why MDA is not utilizing Dekker and Harrell. These two were integral to our dominant regular season bench!
@  DenverRocket : (10 May 2017 - 03:18 AM) Everything the TNT analysts said, I was screaming during OT. MDA blamed it on fatigue - no kidding sherlock, when you only use a 7 player rotation!
@  DenverRocket : (10 May 2017 - 03:17 AM) Sorely disappointed with that. Huge missed opportunity. I thought McHale was coaching again in overtime!
@  slick shoes : (10 May 2017 - 03:02 AM) No offensive scheme in overtime. No Parker, and no Leonard through all of overtime and you STILL can't close it out?!
@  thejohnnygold : (10 May 2017 - 02:57 AM) So much profanity in my home tonight...
@  Mario Peña : (08 May 2017 - 06:57 PM) Right Johnnygold! That was a good game!

Photo

[video] Robert Horry, Sam Cassell on 'The Barkley Trade'

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

New post: [video] Robert Horry, Sam Cassell on 'The Barkley Trade'

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,856 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

This is why I have buyer's remorse just from considering a trade scenario. I was not happy with that trade...I get why management did it....but I think I would have preferred to keep them.

#3 Steven

Steven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

This is why I have buyer's remorse just from considering a trade scenario. I was not happy with that trade...I get why management did it....but I think I would have preferred to keep them.

Hindsight is always 20/20. And had it not been a torn ACL by the starting PG it would have been the Rockets with Clyde Hakeem and Chuck vs. the Jordan Pippen Rodman Bulls. But Stockton tore up The backup

#4 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

totally agree, but like steven said hindsight is 20/20.

My new years resolution.....drink that special bottle of wine, take your son on that fishing trip, live each day as if it were my last because everyday of LIFE is special B)

#5 Chichos

Chichos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

I always thought Cassel was the piece we missed most after the Barkley trade. You just brought back my old pain...

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,856 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. I didn't like the trade the moment I heard it. I know others around here disagree--even Rahat referred to it today in his article. He may very well be right that Barry getting injured and the Rockets moving forward with Maloney was the reason that trade ultimately did not bear fruit. My point is we would have had Horry and Casell. That would have helped too....then, and into the future.

As a history major what one learns is not just facts and dates and names, etc. That is just for reference. History is the study of lessons. Recognizing patterns of mistakes helps future decisions. Emptying the cupboard for an aging star seldom bears fruit and almost always less than what you would have had.

KG, Allen, and Pierce pulled it off.

Miami with Shaq, Wade and the referees pulled it off (i still don't really count this one...imo, the refs gave wade ridiculous calls and lots of them.)

The Lakers with Wilt (that trade is mind blowing...lakers gave up next to nothing for a guy that averaged 24 points, 23 rebounds, and 8 assists. Huh?)

I don't count the Kareem trade...he was still in his prime.

Barkley to Phoenix worked pretty well....but Phoenix did not "clear the cupboard" in that trade...Philly made a bad trade.

It's just my perception of it all. Unless you are getting Lebron or KD it's not worth it....and even then, it usually leaves very little left to put around your new star....so, still not worth it.

Maybe I am missing all the examples of when it did work and the team clearly would not have been better off standing pat. Anyone got an example?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users