Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Willk : (23 October 2014 - 01:23 AM) 2016 - I agree. I would rather see Canaan play than Ish
@  2016Champions : (23 October 2014 - 01:19 AM) Isaiah Canaan seems to get better with every game.
@  cointurtlemoose : (23 October 2014 - 12:09 AM) That said, Philly is ridiculous. It's entertaining on a level, but it's also out of hand. I was for the reform with the proposed percentages they voted on today. Surprised it didn't pass.
@  cointurtlemoose : (23 October 2014 - 12:08 AM) I think it's interesting Mr. Rick. It's kind of a give and take to me. I'm totally okay with teams intentionally going through a 'rebuilding' phase, and I don't think you want to erase that too much with something like the wheel idea.
@  rocketrick : (22 October 2014 - 10:32 PM) No Lipstick on this Pig........NBA GM's say without a doubt James Harden is the #1 SG and Dwight Howard is the #1 C. Probably more hate coming my way for mentioning. I would just like an occasional informative article on this site from time to time but I guess I just expect too much........
@  rocketrick : (22 October 2014 - 09:41 PM) Why the hate when I post something of consequence?
@  rocketrick : (22 October 2014 - 09:41 PM) Wow, so it sounds like everyone is good with the lottery system as is and teams like Philadelphia can continue to strive for more ping=pong balls season after season rather than be expected to field a competitive team. I am shocked that nobody cares whatsoever about the consequences of what this means going forward (same as always)........
@  thejohnnygold : (22 October 2014 - 09:19 PM) Yeah, I don't find much interest in the lottery system change fail. That being said, perhaps you can just start a topic thread like normal people, see what happens, and not condescend the other members in the process. :)
@  feelingsuper... : (22 October 2014 - 07:43 PM) I'm not terribly interested in the 17 to 13 vote that occurred regarding the Lottery. There's my vote.
@  Losthief : (22 October 2014 - 07:36 PM) @rocketrick sure man, lottery stuff is interesting in a nba sense, i didn't post it here cause its not likely to have much impact on rockets per se, cause i expect us to trade that pellies pick and im not expecting us to be in the lottery (plus didn't we give ours to LAL?)
@  rocketrick : (22 October 2014 - 07:21 PM) Is it worth writing a topic regarding the NBA Lottery System and possible changes or am I expecting too much from this site?
@  txtdo1411 : (22 October 2014 - 07:05 PM) Reading the responses to the NBA GM votes, the SG position is the weakest it has been in 30 years. Harden is the worst "best SG in the league" ever. Blah, blah, blah, defense...
@  feelingsuper... : (22 October 2014 - 06:59 PM) Also, one team left to register on the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League, if you haven't checked your email please go ahead and get that rolling. Get your draft orders ready for Sunday.
@  feelingsuper... : (22 October 2014 - 06:56 PM) Dwight and James both earned the number 1 spot at their respective positions according to votes cast by NBA General Managers. It sure is great to have some elite players in Houston again.
@  rocketrick : (22 October 2014 - 05:41 PM) One of several NBA topics NOT discussed on this site this past off-season was the possibility the NBA would change the Lottery Season. You have to go to one of a number of other NBA sites to read what happened when the vote came down earlier this week.
@  Willk : (22 October 2014 - 04:25 AM) JG - I agree Papa will be fine and hope not to see any more of ish
@  thejohnnygold : (22 October 2014 - 03:58 AM) I think it's obvious Papa can shoot. His threes are mostly a tad short, but he'll adjust soon enough. I also agree that Smith might have just played himself off the roster.
@  Buckko : (22 October 2014 - 03:37 AM) Training camp-tired legs, so no one cares about how you shoot in preseason.
@  bboley24 : (22 October 2014 - 02:34 AM) PAPA has time... PLEASE GET ISH SMITH OFF OF THIS ROSTER TOMORROW
@  bboley24 : (22 October 2014 - 02:29 AM) PaPa can't hit a three to save his life

Photo

Twin Tower farce

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Steven

Steven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

With the recent rumors that D12 might be willing to become a Rocket in the summer, the postings of the Rockets going back to the twin tower days has been growing. The twin towers worked because Ralph Sampson had tremendous ball skills. He could shot, pass, see the court. He was 7'4" stretch 4 before the term got crowned. Neither Dwight or Asik are the offensive basketball player that Ralph Sampson was. The Lakers have Pau, and he and Dwight couldn't play on the court together. How will Dwight and Asik be able to play together? All it will do is clog the lane for Harden and Lin. If Howard is brought in, Asik will be traded.

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,540 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Perhaps. Sampson and Olajuwon were both unique talents. Bigs that could shoot, pass, dribble, jump, were agile, and quick--they had it all....in fact, here is a great article from grantland on them: http://www.grantland...houston-rockets

I think it was an error to use the term, "twin towers", as it invokes memories for most of us and is not truly relevant to what this combo would, or should, be. Maybe we can include the whole team as the "Justice League"....Dwight gets to be Superman (to Shaq's displeasure), Asik can be "Elongated Man" (yes, that is real), Harden the flash, Lin can be batman, Parsons the green lantern, etc....If it happpens, I'm sure some clever reporter will give them a name.

The point is, this pairing has different skills (powers) than that one. Rebounding and defense would be off the charts. I think we can all agree on that.

So, the offense is the question. I went into great detail, albeit a bit convoluded, about a potential "double pick'n'roll" that I think would effectively use them together in the Howard thread. They would "clog" the lane if used traditionally, but the difference between them clogging the lane and say, PPat, is Howard and Asik can finish at the rim over almost anyone. If their man comes off to block a driving player, that player can dish to the open big for an easy dunk/lay-up. I mean, we are talking about the #1 and #3 rebounders in the league. Combined, we should be able to easily wrangle 15+ offensive rebounds a game....probably more. I truly think that, with the right spacing and timing, Those two plus whatever driving player you want would produce a pick your poison offense that has no good outcome for the defense. Every option is either a lay-up or dunk....

The original Twin Towers also fell in the finals to another set of towers: McHale and Parrish. Those two were actually much more similar to what we would have with Howard and Asik....so maybe ol' McHale already has plans for this duo.

#3 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,540 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

What do you think of this one...

Posted Image

In this set up the ball-handler sets up on either side. From here he can pass inside to Dwight for a post play. Dwight can then either post or draw a double team and pass out to an open 3-point shooter. The "Olajuwon Offense" that Dwight is very familiar with from Orlando.

Or, the ball-handler can drive. Asik steps out and screens the perimeter defender as Harden slips past and heads towards the basket. Asik's defender slides with Harden trying to keep himself between Harden and the basket. If he fails, Harden gets an easy 2 and/or foul. If not, Harden can pass to the rolling Asik who has come from the screen he set to the back-side. Now, Asik either gets an easy 2 and/or foul or Howard's defender has slid over. If this happens, Asik just drops it off to Howard for a no dribble dunk on whoever is in the way.

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,540 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

Here is a different version...

Posted Image

In this example, the ball-handler rolls around a Howard screen up top. Asik is set up behind Howard's man. As Harden goes right, his man gets screened by Asik forcing Asik's man to flash out and block Harden's drive. As this happens, Asik quickly slips back to the left to screen howard's man again as Howard slips around and rolls to the rim completely open. If Howard's man manages to stick on him, Asik is free to go straight down the lane un-guarded. Truly, the only way to guard this is to sag off the corner shooters so far that they will be getting open looks all day long. Parsons, Delfino and PPat can knock those things down all day long. Besides, if they miss we still have two of the best rebounders in the game right there. Am I the only one that thinks this is a solid plan????

#5 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

Agreed that Asik and Howard would be VERY different from HOU's past Twin Towers. And while Pau and D12 have not thrived together on the court, that may in part be due to familiarity + coaching. Dwight wasn't thriving on the court w/o Pau either lol (the latter seemed to do very well though when on the court solo). Asik + Howard is interesting -- it might not work, but it could. Worth a shot, and solves our problem of having crap defense whenever Asik sits. Now it's defense 24/7 haha.

If worst comes to worst, we could trade one or the other for something just as grand (assuming Daryl doesn't go all Hennigan). Asik is overperforming his contract, and D12 is still a star...which is rare in the league and something everyone salivates over. I just can't imagine saying no if we have the option. You do it then decide how the pieces fit together later. Could argue that did not turn out well for LAL this season, but they would have AMAZING assets if say D12 were under contract for 4 more yrs after this one with them already...no fear of walking out on them this offseason. That is what we would have. Yes, please.

#6 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

I think it was an error to use the term, "twin towers", as it invokes memories for most of us and is not truly relevant to what this combo would, or should, be. Maybe we can include the whole team as the "Justice League"....Dwight gets to be Superman (to Shaq's displeasure), Asik can be "Elongated Man" (yes, that is real), Harden the flash, Lin can be batman, Parsons the green lantern, etc....If it happpens, I'm sure some clever reporter will give them a name.

Nerdiest thing that will be put on here but. Asik, I think, would be more "Steel," elongated man is skinny, where Steel is a big, strong guy, more similar to Asik. Also maybe Kilowog for him (a Green Lantern). I think Harden would have to be Batman, all his tricks are like gadgets in Batman's utility belt. Parsons would be Martian Manhunter because he morphs into different positions. And I'm thinking for Lin, Blue Beatle. Doesn't look like your typical superhero, but gets the job done. Or Braniac 5.

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,540 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

Nerdiest thing that will be put on here but. Asik, I think, would be more "Steel," elongated man is skinny, where Steel is a big, strong guy, more similar to Asik. Also maybe Kilowog for him (a Green Lantern). I think Harden would have to be Batman, all his tricks are like gadgets in Batman's utility belt. Parsons would be Martian Manhunter because he morphs into different positions. And I'm thinking for Lin, Blue Beatle. Doesn't look like your typical superhero, but gets the job done. Or Braniac 5.

Awesome. Let's make this happen.

#8 Steven

Steven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

Asik will be flash, cause he will be gone as quick as a flash.

#9 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

Harden would be static shock.

Why so Serious? :D

#10 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,540 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

Can we go A-Team with this since Harden already has the BA Barracus look going? Lin is Hannibal, Parsons is face, Asik gets to be murdoch, I guess.....hmmm, not enough characters....back to the superheroes

#11 Steven

Steven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:32 AM

Hardin = Wolverine
Lin = Beast/ Hank McCoy (previously Sunfire)
D12 = Colossus
Parsons = Deadpool
2Pat = Jubilee
Asik = Morph
McHale = Cyclops
Morey = Professor X

#12 timetodienow1234567

timetodienow1234567

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:52 AM

Hardin = Wolverine
Lin = Sunfire
D12 = Colossus
Parsons = Deadpool
2Pat = Jubilee

McHale = Cyclops
Morey = Professor X

I did not know who Sunfire was, so I looked it up on wikipedia = "Sunfire is a temperamental and arrogant Japanese mutant who can generate superheated plasma and fly. Not suited for teamwork, Sunfire was only briefly a member of the X-Men and has kept limited ties to the team since. He has had some presence in the greater Marvel Universe." That doesn't describe Lin at all. The only correlation is the Asian component? I like Harden for Wolverine.

Why so Serious? :D

#13 Steven

Steven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

I did not know who Sunfire was, so I looked it up on wikipedia = "Sunfire is a temperamental and arrogant Japanese mutant who can generate superheated plasma and fly. Not suited for teamwork, Sunfire was only briefly a member of the X-Men and has kept limited ties to the team since. He has had some presence in the greater Marvel Universe." That doesn't describe Lin at all. The only correlation is the Asian component? I like Harden for Wolverine.

Yes. I couldn't think of another one in Marvel. No guys are the brainiacs besides Forge, and he is a wuss. Plus I think Lin might only be a Rocket for a short time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users