Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thejohnnygold : (31 October 2014 - 06:13 PM) I've left the Durant Dream...I'm all aboard the Anthony Davis Express. Morey should get a tattoo of Davis' face on his shoulder and tweet a pic of it to him--as an early recruiting pitch.
@  Mario Pena (... : (31 October 2014 - 12:57 PM) More fuel for the Durant dream.
@  jorgeaam : (31 October 2014 - 06:18 AM) It seems injuries will be the main thing this year again
@  thenit : (31 October 2014 - 04:09 AM) Good news for us. Westbrook out with a hand injury. No Reggie Jackson either. We might get a nice cushion on OKC
@  Cooper : (31 October 2014 - 02:44 AM) Their team d leaves a lot to be desired, bench play was poor as well it is early but the knicks aren't good at all.
@  Mario Pena (... : (31 October 2014 - 02:35 AM) Love's defense on that JR Smith drive was laughable.
@  Losthief : (30 October 2014 - 05:32 PM) yeah...but canaan was playing garbage time...and our guys were not playing well in it, went from 30 point lead to finish margin the 4th. so more like cannan even, bev plus 19, still bev >
@  SadLakerFan : (30 October 2014 - 04:47 AM) Realize that +/- isn't the best stat, but Bev +19 and Canaan -12?
@  thenit : (30 October 2014 - 03:50 AM) Westbrook will lead the league in scoring. Everything is going through him his usage rate must be like 50%
@  Losthief : (30 October 2014 - 03:02 AM) bev just pulled up lame, not good.
@  Losthief : (30 October 2014 - 02:56 AM) omg...harden just got a call out on good d by a jazz announcers!!!!
@  Losthief : (30 October 2014 - 02:56 AM) i've been maintaining the idea ariza vs parsons is a wash, and i think terry makes less mistakes than our guys last year, so he might not bring as much but doesn't take as much away either
@  Fury : (30 October 2014 - 02:54 AM) Maybe losing Chandler isn't quite the problem that the media think it is. We have talent at the top. Depth helps.
@  Fury : (30 October 2014 - 02:54 AM) Maybe it's just me, but I think we're deeper at wing with Ariza/Terry.
@  Losthief : (30 October 2014 - 02:42 AM) maybe silver said something to ;em
@  Losthief : (30 October 2014 - 02:42 AM) yeah....seems like they finally figured it out tho.
@  2016Champions : (30 October 2014 - 01:54 AM) Then he said out of Greece and I put two and two together.
@  2016Champions : (30 October 2014 - 01:53 AM) DMo has black hair now? Hmm..
@  2016Champions : (30 October 2014 - 01:53 AM) I was squinting at the screen thinking was that really DMo? DMo looking good!
@  2016Champions : (30 October 2014 - 01:52 AM) Same.

Photo

Reading the Trade Deadline Tea Leaves

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

New post: Reading the Trade Deadline Tea Leaves

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,574 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

Yup. Odds are we sit tight. I think we'll make an offer at Millsap in the offseason, but nothing that kills our cap space. Josh Smith just doesn't fit Morey's philosophy. Low % shots and terrible at the free throw line. It actually speaks to how talented he is that he excels despite doing it the hard way. Reddick might be a nice fit next to Harden--at least offensively. His contract expires at season's end...if we sign him what is the price? He is currently making $6 million.

Meh, Millsap is the only guy I like for Houston, but I think he will get bigger offers from elsewhere. I am happy to move forward and watch our guys develop.

#3 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:31 AM

I also would love nothing more than for us to stand pat thejohnnygold. unless someone better come onto the trade market the players available simply don't interest me enough to pursue them. our options will be better at years end.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#4 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:00 AM

I wonder if Morey will be willing to sit tight for a couple of years. The guys on the market all have major flaws, the free agent class isn't great, but we have a ton of room. Maybe someone better will come on the market later and we'll be able to make a play at him.

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,574 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Also, if we stand pat we will have the ability to "rent out" our cap space again next year and possibly snag a draft pick or two in the process. I believe with the new CBA running a successful team will require a model similar to the patriots in the NFL. Constantly reloading through the draft to build around your core. The only other alternative is to find a group of players willing to accept less $ to stay together and compete for championships....good luck with that!

#6 Guest_ckingtcu_*

Guest_ckingtcu_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

I don't really see a blockbuster in the cards unless there is a Deron Williams-type unexpected availability of a superstar (Kevin Love and LaMarcus Aldridge as mentioned would be ideal). I think Daryl will wait as long as possible to see if anything big materializes before moving to smaller deals such as shipping Toney Douglas (who has become expendable after the Beverley signing) off to a team that needs a PG and/or bench scoring (Boston? Atlanta?). In my opinion, there's no way Morey will make a deal with one of these studs with expiring contracts without knowing they will sign an extension (like Harden). With the addition of the Beard and other pieces, the Rockets are past their previous point of desparation when they would gamble on a star not knowing whether they could keep him.

With all that being said, in a perfect scenario I think we'd see something like this:

LaMarcus Aldridge or Kevin Love for Patrick Patterson, Toney Douglas, Cole Aldrich, Donatas Montiejunas and draft picks.

Both of these deals would have the Rockets taking on ~$7 million in salary (most of their current cap space) while the Blazers/TWolves would get some expiring contracts (Douglas/Aldrich) and some young, controllable big men (2Pat/D-Mo). To be clear, I dont think the Blazers or TWolves would be getting enough value in these deals so it would take an organizational meltdown for either of these to happen but IF these players went on the block, there just aren't many teams that can put together young packages of players. Keep in mind that the Jazz traded D-Will for Derrick Favors, Devin Harris and two 1st rounders so this deal doesn't seem that far fetched. All four of the Rockets players listed were 1st round picks so there's talent here.

#7 Mario Pena (FSS)

Mario Pena (FSS)

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Nice post ckingtcu, welcome to Red94.

Not all isolation plays are equal.

#8 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

Favors was/is a lot better prospect than anyone we have though.

#9 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

Unlike at previous deadlines, now seems like the right time to sit back and do nothing. The benefits of continuity probably outweigh the marginal improvement we could make by trading Toney Douglas for a 3-and-D guy or an aging 4.

ST

#10 Guest_ckingtcu_*

Guest_ckingtcu_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:51 AM

I'd agree that the marginal improvement wouldn't be worth it... IF we were trying to contend this year. But we aren't. Toney Douglas has been great this year but he is on a contract year and the Rockets aren't expected to re-sign him and Patrick Beverley has proven to be a pretty decent backup PG. I think if the Rockets can trade Toney for a draft pick or a young asset they will do it even knowing that it might hurt their team for the rest of the season. Just like the entire purpose of the article, the Rockets arent trying to build an 8 seed, they are trying to build a legit contender.

Note that all of this also applies to Cole Aldrich although obviously he doesn't play much. Expiring contracts are huge assets and the Rockets will probably try to use those.

#11 Guest_ckingtcu_*

Guest_ckingtcu_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:55 AM

Cooper- agreed that Favors is a better prospect than any of those Rockets. My point is that how many teams have good prospects AND cap space?? Not many. So options are limited.

#12 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:30 AM

I vote for staying put. There's no rush, and the guys available (trade block or upcoming free agency) won't make us contenders. I'd like Morey to aim for 2014 free agency

#13 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
  • 289 posts
  • LocationAbilene

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

I'd love to make the playoffs this year, and think we will, but if there were a small deal or two that could improve us long term, I'd love to see it happen. I know it's a long shot, and wouldn't want to bank on it, but I like the idea of being a prime destination for Free Agents in the next few years. If we've got the cap space and a team that's already threatening the top of the West, maybe we could snag one of the top FAs. Building for that future starts with a few more tweaks in the near term and more maturation and coalescing from our young core.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users