Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  redfaithful : (21 September 2014 - 11:40 AM) So many overpaid players in Minnesota... Including a couple ex-Rockets
@  Cooper : (20 September 2014 - 12:48 AM) Bennet? Or they have a couple other young guys.
@  txtdo1411 : (19 September 2014 - 10:29 PM) Did anybody else see that Minny offered Bledsoe a max? I believe they are over the cap, so it would have to be a S&T. I wonder who the Wolves feel they can deal to get Bledsoe.
@  thejohnnygold : (17 September 2014 - 10:46 PM) Nice article about Trevor Ariza. LINK
@  feelingsuper... : (15 September 2014 - 09:01 PM) Okay, I may have been a little harsh down below in my earlier comments but at the very least I agree with Bird, Paul George's comments were thoughtless. Thanks for the link jorgeaam.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2014 - 08:24 PM) Here's a link http://www.sbnation....mestic-violence
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2014 - 08:23 PM) He made some comments about Ray Rice
@  Red94 : (15 September 2014 - 01:50 PM) WOJ just destroyed Coach K this morning.
@  Red94 : (15 September 2014 - 01:50 PM) FSS: what comments of George are you referring to?
@  rocketrick : (14 September 2014 - 12:41 PM) OK
@  thejohnnygold : (13 September 2014 - 03:43 PM) If anyone wants to discuss that please use the "Off-Topic" section of the forum. Thanks.
@  rocketrick : (13 September 2014 - 12:15 PM) Is Danny Ferry a "racist"??
@  feelingsuper... : (12 September 2014 - 02:42 PM) Kind of cool of Fran Fraschilla to acknowledge his false color commentary (on twitter today) during yesterdays game about what D-Mo jokingly said about Harden not eating with the team.
@  feelingsuper... : (11 September 2014 - 05:49 PM) After this morning Paul George doesn't look too good in the court of public opinion. He seems to come off more and more as a douchebag with very low ethical beliefs.
@  redfaithful : (10 September 2014 - 11:29 PM) Watching France dismantle the Spanish star squad, couldn't resist thanking Stern for cancelling the Pau trade - would have been very hard for me to root for him as a Rocket. So much better to have H&H.
@  thejohnnygold : (10 September 2014 - 04:06 PM) Whaaaaa....?
@  rocketrick : (10 September 2014 - 12:35 PM) So I've been watching Mike and Mike this morning for 2+ hours and still no mention whatsoever about USA Basketball and the FIBA Tournament. They did spend about 2 minutes on the Danny Ferry comment re: Luol Deng. Anyway, life goes on for us white folks............
@  Cooper : (08 September 2014 - 03:01 PM) His comments were dumb but not in sterling territory. Just flat out taking a 5-7 hundred million $ team from someone for that would be incredibly hard to justify.
@  rocketrick : (08 September 2014 - 12:12 PM) Another NBA Owner making thoughtless statements about race relations is selling their franchise and probably going to walk away with hundreds of millions of dollars in profit to boot. What else is new?
@  thejohnnygold : (03 September 2014 - 07:03 PM) I don't recall seeing any of that....most of us are excited about his experience and the praise he is drawing from well-respected coaches. Perhaps you're confusing us with another group?

Photo

Huq's Pen: What a difference a month makes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

New post: Huq's Pen: What a difference a month makes

#2 bob schmidt

bob schmidt

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationBrownsville, Texas

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Provocative questions Rahat. I will share a few thoughts... For starters, I have little interest in Howard. He strikes me as a happy-face, aren't I good, basketball player instead of a gritty, determined winner despite obstacles. Plus, he may be damaged goods unable to perform as he once did. Until we get a better look at our rookies, Motiejunas and Jones, I'd rather not make any moves at the 4 slot. Between them, they have yet to play anything but garbage minutes, and only 130 minutes combined through the season. Of course, if we get an inquiry from someone wanting to trade a good 4 to us I would certainly listen to all offers. Meanwhile, the Rocket coaching staff must have some ideas to share with Harden and Lin regarding turnovers. We just cannot continue to defeat ourselves with sloppy habits that cause them.

#3 Forrest Walker

Forrest Walker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

I was already steeling myself for the inevitable Josh Smith acquisition. Now you've raised some very compelling points about a Pau Gasol acquisition. (Is still good, could be got on the cheap, contract end coincides with a very rich free agency year) I'm wondering just how this team will look in a month.

#4 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

I'd accept Howard in a trade or free agency for sure, but I agree with you in that I don't think Dwight's being moved before the Feb. deadline. Will he re-sign w/ LAL? That's a different story...but I don't think Houston can offer him what ATL can. Gets to go home, have a team built around them, and a team that has a LOT of offseason flexibility (can't they also give him the 5 yr K?).

Pau Gasol for 2 yrs is a good trade, imo, if, as you said, we don't give up too much. Would a trade centered around Lin net us Gasol? I wonder...

#5 A-Rich

A-Rich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

@phaketrash.
Yeah, I'm certain the Lakers are dying to trade Gasol for a long-term/big-money backup PG. You do remember that they have Nash, right?

#6 datruth

datruth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Something has to be done.No reason to have Mchale keep jerking guys in and out of the line up. I think right now Lin, Parsons, Patterson still have good value. Not sold on Harden yet, but I'm sure Mchale will give him every chance to look good. So either strike while you have a chance or continue to allow Mchale to destroy this team. This team seems broken and right now I think we have regress with Mchale and Sampson.

#7 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

Those thoughts leaves you wonder that Gasol might be a great fit for us regarding his contract and our lack of post offense. It's almost certain that a trade to get him here would have to involve both Patterson and Morris to unjam that PF position. Capwise, we will have to send Lin or Asik, but neither one of them would be appealing for them since they are making too much money to be sitting on the bench, and probably they would want Parsons.

Bottom line, it would be nice to get him here, every party would be benefited, but....we will be inflicting too much damage to this "developing roster" and he is not worth it anymore, IMO.

#8 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

@phaketrash.
Yeah, I'm certain the Lakers are dying to trade Gasol for a long-term/big-money backup PG. You do remember that they have Nash, right?

That was my biggest concern -- not the size of Lin's contract per se, but the length of it. LAL is on track to have a clean slate in 2014 almost haha, but Lin's $8M would mess with that. The $$$ isn't THAT much, even if he's coming off the bench. I mean shoot, they have a $19M man coming off the bench right now :P

And already having Nash doesn't change anything. Lin's the spark they need off the bench to back UP Nash, who they don't put ridiculous minutes on because of his age (I presume). Who do they have backing up Nash at the 1 right now? D.Morris? Blake's still out on injury I believe...so I mean...

And this is if LAL even decides to move Gasol rather than have him be upset and waste away on the bench. Gasol's $19M salary makes it nearly impossible to get any deal back that isn't somewhat "big money." With us, they are shedding $6-7M...I don't think they can say that with many other teams. Few have our cap space and the commodities to trade. Who'd give near $19M in expiring contracts? Pacers?

I do agree with ale11 though. I think LAL would do the deal in a heartbeat if Parsons were thrown in (they need the perimeter relief), but I don't want to trade Parsons in the deal for Gasol. Parsons is our trump card in that he gives our roster talent at a CHEAP price. It allows us to build a more competitive roster while not sacrificing production, esp. with what Parsons brings to the table. Giving that and other pieces up for Gasol...not worth it since we wouldn't be contenders.

#9 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

I've been cringing at the thought of trading for Gasol for a while now. For one, I'm not sure that he would be more motivated in Houston than in L.A., although I'm sure McHale would be more accomodating to Gasol's post game than D'Antoni.
My other concerns is that on offense, Gasol's skillset doesn't mesh with Houston's core. He likes to operate in the low post. Lin, Harden and Asik all need to score around the basket. His presence would also muck up the pick-and-roll game for Harden and Lin. We'd have to revamp our roster around Gasol, and he's not worth it.
But really, the biggest fear is that Gasol would Odom us. He likes Los Angeles. He has nothing else to prove as a pro. He has interests outside of basketball. Getting traded away to a rebuilding team in Texas will not result in Happy Pau.
"Assets" -- Daryl Morey

#10 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

I've been cringing at the thought of trading for Gasol for a while now. For one, I'm not sure that he would be more motivated in Houston than in L.A., although I'm sure McHale would be more accomodating to Gasol's post game than D'Antoni.
My other concerns is that on offense, Gasol's skillset doesn't mesh with Houston's core. He likes to operate in the low post. Lin, Harden and Asik all need to score around the basket. His presence would also muck up the pick-and-roll game for Harden and Lin. We'd have to revamp our roster around Gasol, and he's not worth it.
But really, the biggest fear is that Gasol would Odom us. He likes Los Angeles. He has nothing else to prove as a pro. He has interests outside of basketball. Getting traded away to a rebuilding team in Texas will not result in Happy Pau.

But Gasol has been on the market for so long, I think he doesn't really like LAL that much more. He's constantly in trade talks, and if I were him, I'd be tired of it. Now with D'antoni and the benching, Gasol prob feels at an all time low -- super underappreciated. He'd be #2 in HOU easily, and I think he'd thrive in HOU now. First time we "traded" for him, I would have said otherwise, but given everything now...

And keep in mind, a trade for Gasol may involve trading away Lin. In fact, I sort of hope it does haha. I like Lin a lot, but he doesn't fit our team either (really). So then it is just Harden driving to the basket. Asik and Gasol's efficacy together is a legitimate concern. Asik's butterfingers messes up a lot of what makes Gasol a great low post threat, and the two of them would certainly clog the lanes. That being said, I think it could work, esp. if (like Lin and Harden now) there's a slight stagger in the minutes Gasol and Asik play together. I think they'd work well together (more so than Lin and Harden), but Smith and Gasol is pretty awesome too.

If Morey thinks we have a shot at Dwight, then obviously no Gasol. But shoot, I still think LAL and ATL have better chances of landing Dwight than we do...

I assume we don't want to throw a 4 yr max deal at JSmith. I really don't like him for the Rockets, esp. at max money. I think he'd only bring more frustrations to our team.

I like signing Millsap a lot, but no idea how much he'd cost. He'd also be 4 yrs (prob) and keep us out of the 2014 and 2015 SUPER AWESOME free agencies (Gasol would not). That makes me hesitant, even though I like Millsap a lot, because he alone doesn't do it. But I'd still be happy with a Millsap signing at like $10M or something because hey, maybe our young assets develop and we get our last piece in house. Could still swing a non-blockbuster trade too with what we have down the road, so still possibly cool.

I think that is it though. Those are our only realistic options. CP3 staying w/ Clipps. Who else is left? Id' rather move Lin +expirings +PFs for Gasol and D.Morris, and then maybe try to then get a backup PG or a meh starting one in the offseason. Gasol for Asik instead is a big no.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users