Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  bboley24 : (25 July 2014 - 02:32 AM) D League or not... he's here and he's working out with the best... it's good for all around... Sergio.
@  Buckko : (25 July 2014 - 12:16 AM) Well shots fired between harden and parsons.
@  majik19 : (24 July 2014 - 09:09 PM) He'll spend likely the whole season with the D-league team. He's 4th on the depth chart, at best.
@  txtdo1411 : (24 July 2014 - 03:51 PM) I like it as well YaoMan. You can't ever have enough long and athletic big men. It will be nice to see how he develops.
@  YaoMan : (24 July 2014 - 03:40 PM) Rockets sign Clint Capela and has been added to their regular season roster - I like this. He's got a high ceiling...
@  slick shoes : (22 July 2014 - 03:11 AM) live by the three, die by the three.
@  feelingsuper... : (22 July 2014 - 02:54 AM) 21% on three pointers by Canaan and company, damn.
@  feelingsuper... : (22 July 2014 - 02:51 AM) Rockets Summer Leaguers shot 32%, rough ending.
@  Buckko : (20 July 2014 - 07:01 PM) I refer to the writers, as yall due to the multiple of them. We are the loyal readers. I should've word it better.
@  rockets best... : (20 July 2014 - 06:12 PM) we and y'all are the same people :lol:
@  bboley24 : (20 July 2014 - 12:32 PM) who is we and who is yall?
@  Buckko : (20 July 2014 - 08:21 AM) Can we get a post about defensive improvement or yall waiting until the defensive assistant gets chosen?
@  Buckko : (20 July 2014 - 07:37 AM) With internal improvement, the defensive minded FA acquisitions, and hopefully a good Defensive minded assistant. The rockets will be closer to a top 5 D than top 10.
@  miketheodio : (20 July 2014 - 05:55 AM) i wonder how much better the starting 5 will be with a wing who actually plays defense
@  rockets best... : (18 July 2014 - 09:26 PM) Kendall Marshall is Ish Smith of a few years ago
@  Cooper : (18 July 2014 - 07:33 PM) Lakers waived Kendall Marshall, hes decent.
@  YaoMan : (18 July 2014 - 07:10 PM) @ slick shoes - And I'm bringing muzzles for them ladies in case they feel the need to start!
@  slick shoes : (18 July 2014 - 07:06 PM) @YaoMan I got a bit nervous at the Bosh strike out but one: FA isn't over and two: it's a long way until the trade deadline. As the saying goes, "It's not over until the fat lady sings."
@  YaoMan : (18 July 2014 - 07:00 PM) @ slick shoes, great points. Just nervous energy while all productive FAs are starting to get snatched up!
@  Cooper : (18 July 2014 - 05:24 PM) yeah i doubt they bringing these guys in with the expectation of them being great, we just need guys to soak up some min maybe a few pan out, maybe they don't.

Photo

Player development

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joshtwillis

joshtwillis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

I wish someone would explain to me why you would spend 25 million dollars on a young player that's 24 years old and not give him the oppertunity to prove if he is gonna be the point guard of the future.....No excuse for Lin to be benched in the 4th quarters of these games, their is nothing positive to take or get out of it. The owner ship and the coaching staff need to get on the same page, If McHale is going to be the coach of the future and he doesn't feel like Lin is the right player for his system or this team, or whatever the case may be its time to start exploring the option of moving him. If that's not the case then simply,he needs to be on the court getting experience and developing chemistry with his teammates....It would be different if he was playing and learning behind a veteran player or there was someone on roster who had a legitimate chance of being the point guard of the future, but that's simply not the case....Patrick Beverly hasn't even had a cup of tea in the nba yet, and tony is on a one year deal and probably won't even be on the team next year....

#2 thenit

thenit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:45 AM

I totally agree with you, McHale needs to either play him in the forth quarter or considering moving him. It's just a waste. If you play him consistently in those sitatuations, the worst thing that could happen, would be Lin is awful and rockets drops and get a good pick. At least you would know what you have since Lin's sample size is basically the same as a rookie.

Once again against the nuggets he benched him the whole 4th quarter despite that he wasnt playing that bad, although he wasn't great either. It seems like Mchale has different standards for every single player. Example is Morris, Lin and Smith, it seems like their minutes get cut if they make a few bad decision, but when delfino and harden for example takes bad shots or have turnovers, they keep their minutes.

Harden january stats:
January 12 39.7 7.9-19.4 .408 1.7-6.8 .244 7.9-9.5 .833 0.8 4.0 4.8 5.8 0.6 2.1 2.9 4.4

Lin
January 12 34.6 4.1-10.5 .389 1.0-3.3 .300 2.6-3.8 .674 0.8 3.0 3.8 5.2 0.0 2.3 2.8 3.2 11.8
Season
Lin" 43 33.2 4.5-10.6 .423 0.8-3.0 .281 2.3-2.9 .770 0.6 3.2 3.8 6.0 0.3 2.0 2.6 3.0
Harden 42 38.5 7.7-17.8 .433 1.9-5.8 .324 8.6-10.1 .853 4.5 5.4 0.5 1.9 2.4 3.8 25.9

Looking at the stats, there is obvious that Harden is the better player and more efficient than Lin,
but his turnovers are higher and the shooting % is almost identical.

In no way am Lin even close to harden's level but I just want McHale to show what even your star player should take some responsibility.

#3 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:47 AM

Lin is horrible as a spot shooter, he shoots much better when he bounces the ball.

I think that he was signed as a marketing ploy while they rebuilt, and then once they got Harden they regretted letting Gogi and Scola go.

Lin/Harden do not fit.....

Both are turnover prone, and Lin is just not good enough as a shooter to play share the ball.....nor is he good enough to hog the ball...

Ugh, what a 25 million dollar mess.

DD

#4 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

Letting go of scola was the right move regardless but it's becoming more obvious that harden and Lin can't play to their best ability when on the court at the same time, still have some time to maybe work it out but I'd look into what offers you could get for Lin around the deadline in fact I'd listen to offers for any player but Harden. And on making harden responsible, he knows he has to perform for the team to be good (at least id hope so)putting him on the bench if he's In a slump Isn't going to help anyone. The lakers don't bench Kobe when he's having a poor shooting night or bulls with rose, thunder and Westbrook etc...

#5 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:02 AM

Lin was mostly a marketing ploy before Harden came along, but that doesn't change the current situation. They need to play him more in the fourth...I agree. That being said, I'm not against a deal that moves Lin and nets us a better piece back. His potential and skills are somewhat repressed here in Houston...either by circumstances or coaching...

#6 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:59 AM

Actually, I would take the ball away from Harden more often and let Lin initiate.

Half of the problem with Lin is his natural instincts seem to be to defer, rather than take charge, last year he was almost out of the league and IIRC decided to just play his game.

Well, that is exactly what he should do now....wave Harden off.....more often...take charge out there...

DD

#7 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:15 AM

It's hard to say that signing Lin was a marketing ploy, and then point out that he plays better without Harden. Lin was the most promising player available when the Rockets signed him, and he plays best as a ball-dominator. Harden is so good that the Rockets had to trade for him when they had the chance, regardless of whether he fit with Lin.
The main thing Lin really needs to fix to fit with Harden is his jump shot. But that's something that typically has to be reworked in the off-season, and to expect to see him improve his stroke on the fly during the season is unrealistic.
What I would like to see a little more of would be Harden running around off-ball screens to get open for jumpers while Lin handles the ball. That scenario wouldn't maximize Harden's skill as a playmaker, but I think it would maximize their skills as a pair.
"Assets" -- Daryl Morey

#8 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

Agree with Jeby. Since McHale is playing Harden as the primary ballhandler (whether we like it or not, we all now it's not the right thing to do), what Lin needs to do is to improve his jumpshot, at least to league average %, and the time to work on that is during the off-season. Harden could work on that too, because right now, he also doesn't seem to play very well off the ball. I'd like him to run around some off-ball screens looking for a clear shot, but I see the same lack of effort that we normally see when he plays defense, he is just sitting around and wait for the ball to come.

Don't get me wrong, he is our future, but right now I don't see him working hard enough to fill some current needs that we have as a team and only contents to what he does best: isolation and getting and-ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users