Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  rocketrick : (01 October 2014 - 04:54 PM) Ooops, the Rockets first Home game this preseason is OCTOBER 9. Sorry about that!
@  rocketrick : (01 October 2014 - 04:27 PM) Like Coach McHale mentioned in the Sirius XM interview yesterday, the players will begin to determine their roles off the bench (starters are pretty much set in stone as all of us know).
@  rocketrick : (01 October 2014 - 04:26 PM) I'm looking forward to seeing the first preseason game vs. Memphis in person on Thurs. Feb 9!!
@  jorgeaam : (29 September 2014 - 09:01 PM) It was a joke, it seemed like Injury Report in there
@  Cooper : (29 September 2014 - 04:03 PM) you're quick
@  jorgeaam : (28 September 2014 - 04:35 AM) Paul George out for the season
@  Buckko : (28 September 2014 - 02:07 AM) Tyreke Evans out 3-5 weeks.
@  Cooper : (27 September 2014 - 01:05 AM) rondo out 6-8 weeks
@  rocketrick : (25 September 2014 - 02:06 PM) I'm not a huge Bill Simmons fan as his "inside information" related to NBA player movement at times is a reach, but today I LOVE me some Bill Simmons! He is willing to say what most everyone feels about one Roger Goodell. Should be a lesson for the NBA prior to the start of the regular season.
@  Cooper : (25 September 2014 - 01:58 AM) Worth the gamble for the suns but was not the best option for the rockets.
@  rocketrick : (25 September 2014 - 12:28 AM) Wow, early reports this morning was 4 years around $50 million and by late this afternoon that had changed to 5 years at $70 million for Eric Bledsoe. Good for him! Much too expensive for the Rockets in my opinion.
@  thenit : (24 September 2014 - 11:51 PM) 5for 70 is what I have seen
@  rocketrick : (24 September 2014 - 01:24 PM) $50 million moreorless per reports.
@  rocketrick : (24 September 2014 - 01:24 PM) Like I posted on numerous occasions, chasing Bledsoe was a waste of time. Reports this morning indicate he is close to signing a 4-year deal for P million moreorless, to stay a Sun going forward.
@  thejohnnygold : (24 September 2014 - 12:37 AM) I believe it is that Harden is insanely good playing off the ball...we simply lack a better ball handler/creator. Hence, Rondo.
@  2016Champions : (23 September 2014 - 05:32 PM) I heard Morey loves Rondo though so there must be something I'm missing.
@  2016Champions : (23 September 2014 - 04:56 PM) Bledsoe played off the ball a lot next to Dragic, right? So wouldn't that make him the better fit in contrast to the ball dominant Rondo?
@  YaoMan : (22 September 2014 - 04:29 PM) Personally I'd rather have Rondo over Bledsoe by far but I'm not sure the chances of getting Rondo are that high but I am hoping
@  redfaithful : (21 September 2014 - 11:40 AM) So many overpaid players in Minnesota... Including a couple ex-Rockets
@  Cooper : (20 September 2014 - 12:48 AM) Bennet? Or they have a couple other young guys.

Photo

Houston Rockets @ Dallas Mavericks on 1/16/13

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

New post: Houston Rockets @ Dallas Mavericks on 1/16/13

#2 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

I really hope we dont lose 5 in a row and especially not to the Mavs. Im glad this game is on ESPN and I hope to see a W!

#3 Paradise

Paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:54 AM

Painful game to watch. Lin made me so happy in the 4th until he couldn't hit a damn freethrow. We should have taken this one, now were on a 5 game losing streak.

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,496 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:15 AM

I didn't see the game, but from the box score Harden's 5-23 shooting combined with the Mav's edge in personal fouls called (10 fewer) stand out as the difference. I am guessing Harden didn't get very many calls at the rim tonight. On the bright side, Beverley seems to have done well.

#5 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:26 AM

Lin and Harden need to shoot better off of each other, and Harden is relied on with the ball FAR FAR too much, when he is off, use him as a decoy.

DD

#6 Paradise

Paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:28 AM

Harden was blowing a lot of really good looks late in the game. I guess tonight just wasn't his night.
I agree with you DaDakota. Obviously he wasn't feeling it tonight, we should have run less through him and just used him as a decoy for the real play.

#7 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:05 AM

New post: Dallas Mavericks 105, Houston Rockets 100: Welcome to the 9th seed. Again.

#8 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:40 AM

Paradise nailed it: painful. I was upset since it was Dallas. 5th game in a row. And only 3rd I've watched. Big disappointment. FTs, TOs, missed layups. Uhhh.

#9 goRockets

goRockets

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:44 AM

Actually still 8th seed, Portland lost tonight also, gotta thank the CAVS and Kyrie I guess.

#10 goRockets

goRockets

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:53 AM

Indiana is good defense team, but not very good offensively, kind of like Grizzlies and Bulls, whom Rockets have beaten this season. Rockets really lose games because they shoot themselves in the foot with TOs and missed FTs. If they can take care of the ball, especially that first quarter, and play solid defense, they should win. Hoping a winning streak starts Friday! Go Rockets!!!

#11 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:57 AM

It really upset me when Lin was scorching hot yet they kept going to Harden.

#12 EVE0914

EVE0914

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:10 AM

I agree DaDakota ," when he is off, use him as a decoy" this is good idea, but Coaches should be faster adjust lineup when Harden Close
TD is more like a SG ,let Patrick Beverley become backup for LIN
, and they need to learn better defense

#13 khyberjones

khyberjones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:40 AM

I disagree with the statement that Lin has played poorly during the losing streak. He played very well in the Dallas, LA Clippers ( he had a double-double) and Boston (he outplayed Rondo) games. He did not play well in the loss to Philly and had a mixed performance against NO.

He shot over 40% in 3 of the 5 games (though the 2-13 against Philly brings the average down). He has averaged 6 assists, just under 3 steals, about 2.5 rebounds, and 2.2 turnovers (which is about where Chris Paul's turnover rate is).

The problem during the losing streak is that teams have keyed on Harden and are forcing him to take more jump shots and he has been streaky (much like he was in last year's NBA playoffs). Harden is an average jump shooter. His game is built off the drive. He has not yet developed that Kobe Bryant ability to shoot over 40% from the outside with a hand in his face. The other problem is that the forwards and centers are handling the ball too much and are turning the ball over at a high rate. The choice for the Rockets is to trust the point guards more. Lin needs to run the offense more and has to have the ball in his hands more. When Lin has had the freedom to go 'Linsane' the entire team has benefited.

He can get Harden high percentage shots and preserve his longevity. Lin can get better shots for Parsons, Asik and Patterson. Carlos Delfino needs to go to the bench and be a spot up shoter. Douglas needs to be the designated shooting guard off the bench, not the point and the 3 guard rotation should be used to take advantage of Douglas' abilities on the wing.

The Rockets do not have great forwards and the only way to make them more effective is to enable the guards to get those players higher percentage shots. That can't happen if Carlos Delfino is taking too many shots and dribbling too much.

#14 Alituro

Alituro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Wow! Beverley, where have you been? We finally got a TRUE point guard worth talking about. He keeps his dribble nice and low and keeps his speed up, doesn't freeze the ball either. How many trips around the baseline did he make unscathed last night? 3 in 13 minutes? This is a nice ability to have from a PG, and one we haven't had until now, it really stirs up the D nicely when they make those little trips, ask Nash. It is a small sample, but a couple more small samples with 1/2 the stat line should have Lin worried about the starting PG position. I think Lin is better suited at SG than Douglas, and Douglas better at backup PG with better handles, if for no other reason. Lin coming off the bench for Harden will preserve James nicely too. PB feeding both Lin and Harden in smaller lineups will be interesting to see also.

When will McHale finally say, "enough is enough!" about our PF situation and start inserting D-mo or Jones for more than just garbage time? Is he showcasing Morris and Ppat for a trade? If so, it needs to happen soon, because they are painful to watch, to me.

Landing at #9 this year isn't quite as disastrous as the previous 3 years, IMO. I would still consider it over-achieving for our young squad. And, I don't think we should be looking at the draft to find the piece we are missing, nor could we expect to have much success this season in the playoffs anyway. To me, this team really can do no wrong this season as far as their record goes. It's about player development and that is happening in droves.

Oh, and they doubled on Harden all night and everywhere on the floor. That's alot for anyone to handle on the 2nd night of a B2B. McHale kept going to Harden though to draw the double and hopefully let him create a play finding the open man. Could have worked out better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users