Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  redfaithful : (21 September 2014 - 11:40 AM) So many overpaid players in Minnesota... Including a couple ex-Rockets
@  Cooper : (20 September 2014 - 12:48 AM) Bennet? Or they have a couple other young guys.
@  txtdo1411 : (19 September 2014 - 10:29 PM) Did anybody else see that Minny offered Bledsoe a max? I believe they are over the cap, so it would have to be a S&T. I wonder who the Wolves feel they can deal to get Bledsoe.
@  thejohnnygold : (17 September 2014 - 10:46 PM) Nice article about Trevor Ariza. LINK
@  feelingsuper... : (15 September 2014 - 09:01 PM) Okay, I may have been a little harsh down below in my earlier comments but at the very least I agree with Bird, Paul George's comments were thoughtless. Thanks for the link jorgeaam.
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2014 - 08:24 PM) Here's a link http://www.sbnation....mestic-violence
@  jorgeaam : (15 September 2014 - 08:23 PM) He made some comments about Ray Rice
@  Red94 : (15 September 2014 - 01:50 PM) WOJ just destroyed Coach K this morning.
@  Red94 : (15 September 2014 - 01:50 PM) FSS: what comments of George are you referring to?
@  rocketrick : (14 September 2014 - 12:41 PM) OK
@  thejohnnygold : (13 September 2014 - 03:43 PM) If anyone wants to discuss that please use the "Off-Topic" section of the forum. Thanks.
@  rocketrick : (13 September 2014 - 12:15 PM) Is Danny Ferry a "racist"??
@  feelingsuper... : (12 September 2014 - 02:42 PM) Kind of cool of Fran Fraschilla to acknowledge his false color commentary (on twitter today) during yesterdays game about what D-Mo jokingly said about Harden not eating with the team.
@  feelingsuper... : (11 September 2014 - 05:49 PM) After this morning Paul George doesn't look too good in the court of public opinion. He seems to come off more and more as a douchebag with very low ethical beliefs.
@  redfaithful : (10 September 2014 - 11:29 PM) Watching France dismantle the Spanish star squad, couldn't resist thanking Stern for cancelling the Pau trade - would have been very hard for me to root for him as a Rocket. So much better to have H&H.
@  thejohnnygold : (10 September 2014 - 04:06 PM) Whaaaaa....?
@  rocketrick : (10 September 2014 - 12:35 PM) So I've been watching Mike and Mike this morning for 2+ hours and still no mention whatsoever about USA Basketball and the FIBA Tournament. They did spend about 2 minutes on the Danny Ferry comment re: Luol Deng. Anyway, life goes on for us white folks............
@  Cooper : (08 September 2014 - 03:01 PM) His comments were dumb but not in sterling territory. Just flat out taking a 5-7 hundred million $ team from someone for that would be incredibly hard to justify.
@  rocketrick : (08 September 2014 - 12:12 PM) Another NBA Owner making thoughtless statements about race relations is selling their franchise and probably going to walk away with hundreds of millions of dollars in profit to boot. What else is new?
@  thejohnnygold : (03 September 2014 - 07:03 PM) I don't recall seeing any of that....most of us are excited about his experience and the praise he is drawing from well-respected coaches. Perhaps you're confusing us with another group?

Photo

New Orleans Hornets @ Houston Rockets on 1/2/13

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

New post: New Orleans Hornets @ Houston Rockets on 1/2/13

#2 hubeijames

hubeijames

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

This post seems like an absurd attempt to make this match have much more weight and uncertainty than it should. Are you an NBA analyst or are you a marketer for NBA telecasts? Are you a politician's campaign spokesman, trying to manage expectations to make sure every victory is a surprise?

The Hornicans have a lot of upside, but they are not going to turn things around overnight. Rather than trying to paint a painfully unrealistic picture that it's "anyone's game," for lopsided matches like this your analysis should be focused on elements of the game unrelated to who gets the W and L. Heck, you had stuff to talk about: Harden's Kobe-esque defense, Houston's victory margins, etc. That stuff is interesting; don't waste it on hyping NO's chances tonight.

#3 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

im going to the game tonight. will be the 2nd game i will have seen. the other being one of the two espn games, so im definitely excited, but my tickets were freebies from CSN Houston, so theyre nosebleed. anyway, Go Rockets!

#4 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Good point about Harden's defense. The biggest thing I've noticed with him is that he really hasn't been closing out on three-point shooters. He spends most of his time roaming for steals, which leaves him sagging off his man. Often if he's a step out of position when his man gets the ball he doesn't even bother to put a hand up as the rock sails toward the basket. He's already looking to get the rebound or catch the outlet pass.

If he tries that against Eric Gordon, he'll get torched tonight.

#5 amacbrooks12

amacbrooks12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationBronx, New York

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

This one is going to be interesting to watch, especially the Harden vs Gordon matchup. It's going to be like watching a right handed Harden with Gordon out there, being that they both have the same play styles. Gordon excels in the pick and roll, can draw fouls easily, knows how to drive and finish, and can shoot the 3 quite well. Should be a fun matchup to watch.

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

All true. I am excited to see how PPat and Marcus Morris fare against "the brow". I expect solid games from them as i believe they have the advantage in that match-up.

#7 RYLIU

RYLIU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

To Jeby, you are spot on. I noticed the same things about Harden's defense. Besides not being in position and not contesting diligently, he also does not fight thru screens and hardly ever pick up charges. He does go for blocks near the basket though. Harden is an all star already, to take the next step to super star, he needs to play better defense.

#8 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

New post: [video] Hornets rookie Anthony Davis on loss to Rockets

#9 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

New post: Houston Rockets 104, New Orleans Hornets 92: Tough Victories count too.

#10 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

so .... im glad we won, but that was about as boring of a game to attend as possible. no surprise though, being on a wednesday night against one of the leagues worst teams. had the rockets played like that against anyone but the hornets (or maybe 2 or 3 other teams), they would have lost. way too many missed 3s and what seemed like a lot of offensive rebounds given up. i was getting upset when NO tied it late, but then harden and patterson pretty much took it right back. also, i know its just one game, but i saw absolutely nothing from the unibrow that impressed me aside from a couple of pretty looking, early jumpers.

#11 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

It feels nice to have a superstar to fall back on at the end of the game. The Rockets would have lost that game in any of the last 3 years.

#12 tombrokeoff

tombrokeoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

It feels nice to have a superstar to fall back on at the end of the game. The Rockets would have lost that game in any of the last 3 years.

no kidding and amen!

#13 Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Great summary. The Rockets did not shoot particularly well (especially from the three-point line) and still won. As I watched the game, the Rockets seemed like a veteran team, confident they could find a way to win even when not playing their best. I'm very bullish about our playoff hopes.

I think Patterson will continue to come off the bench. Morris seems much, much better as a starter, while Patterson brings immediate energy and helps solidify the defense of the second unit. Whoever is hot can finish the game.

#14 amacbrooks12

amacbrooks12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationBronx, New York

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Why didn't Eric Gordon play ?

#15 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

@amacbrooks; I think they wanted to rest him and make sure he didn't re-injure himself or something.

#16 CruzanEmpire

CruzanEmpire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:54 AM

amacbrooks is correct. It was a back to back for them. Giving the nature of his injury, they wanted to rest him.

#17 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:04 AM

Ditto to Rahat's comment about having a superstar.

For the last three years, it usually took about three above-expected performances from role players to win a game. The chances of any three role players producing over their talent levels every night are slim. Replace one of those guys with someone who puts up 25/5/5 every night, and only two guys have to step up each night to earn a win. To put it another way, James Harden lowers the risk factor in each game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users