Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  RudyT1995 : (12 July 2014 - 08:07 PM) After the Cavs you mean, right? It's hard to argue that anyone won bigger than the Cavs.
@  SadLakerFan : (12 July 2014 - 06:10 PM) The biggest winner in this year's free agency mess? The Spurs.
@  RudyT1995 : (12 July 2014 - 05:47 PM) Rockets pursuing Ariza... Can't we just trade for Jeff Green?
@  SadLakerFan : (12 July 2014 - 05:10 PM) Rondo would be a terrible fit with Houston. Worst shooting PG in the league; quick to the hole but passes rather than take contact because he can't hit free throws. A team with T. Jones, Howard and Rondo on the floor in the 4th qtr would be a nightmare.
@  feelingsuper... : (12 July 2014 - 02:47 PM) I'm glad Gasol didn't join the Spurs or the Thunder. Spurs and Thunder stay about the same as strong contenders,Clippers improve slightly, Portland and the Warriors do nothing of consequence. All the upheaval is in the East.
@  Drew in Abilene : (12 July 2014 - 02:06 PM) I can't even...
@  RudyT1995 : (12 July 2014 - 06:42 AM) You should try actually watching him play instead of looking up numbers. Numbers can deceive without the right context.
@  RudyT1995 : (12 July 2014 - 06:40 AM) Elite PG's need to be able to shoot or be able to blow by everybody. Rondo can't shoot, and he's not as quick as he was pre-injury.
@  RudyT1995 : (12 July 2014 - 06:34 AM) Rondo pads his assist totals by passing up easy shots. Ask any Celtic fan. He drives them crazy.
@  QNoir : (12 July 2014 - 04:44 AM) I just took a peek at his assist average for last season ... the games he actually played. Only Chris Paul was above him. How is that even possible when he plays with scrubs?
@  QNoir : (12 July 2014 - 04:41 AM) Rondo is champion caliber. That's really the end of the convo.
@  08huangj : (12 July 2014 - 04:38 AM) QNoir: His defense is totally underrated and he is tons better than Rondo. A Harden trade is just...crazy.
@  QNoir : (12 July 2014 - 04:36 AM) You dudes falling in love with no defense and first round exits is hilarious.
@  QNoir : (12 July 2014 - 04:34 AM) And I return to the LOF junk. I thought you were smarter than than, rocket. I'm just a dude from Detroit that adopted a team because the one I followed sucked. That gives me a unique objective look at the Rockets. I don't like Harden ... the way that people who aren't in love with the idea of him as a franchise player don't love Harden. His game is just ... bad.
@  rocketrick : (12 July 2014 - 01:38 AM) Keep in mind Qnoir is also a LOF.........I haven't met a LOF yet that likes Harden.
@  rocketrick : (12 July 2014 - 01:28 AM) Qnoir did say Rondo and something else from the Celtics for Harden. Obviously, the Celtics don't have "something else" of value except a bunch of draft picks. The Rockets are going for it now, not 3-4 years from now.
@  feelingsuper... : (12 July 2014 - 01:19 AM) Anything with Harden going out and Rondo as the best piece coming in is horrible.
@  feelingsuper... : (12 July 2014 - 01:19 AM) That would be a horrible trade for the Rockets. Come on, visitors come to our Forum so let's not look like we are crazy.
@  QNoir : (12 July 2014 - 01:14 AM) Didn't leave yet. Never said straight up.
@  rocketrick : (12 July 2014 - 01:13 AM) The conversation was primarily about Qnoir thinking a straight up trade Harden for Rondo for his strange reasons would be a super trade for the Rockets. You missed out on all the banter.

Photo

James Anderson Incoming

New Signing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

So, James Anderson has been brought in to replace Daequan Cook. Not a huge loss because we were not getting anything out of Cook, but the question is whether we'll be able to get anything more out of Anderson.

I remember a lot of people were thinking that the Spurs had got a steal with Anderson when they picked him up in the 2010 draft, but he never got on the floor with them, nor with the Grizzlies. Aaron McGuire, author of the tremendous Gothic Ginobili Player Capsule series, couldn't find a whole lot about him to like. (By the way, he's now successfully completed his capsule series, and IMO it's one of the best basketball resources on the internet - quite thorough pieces of writing on almost every non-rookie player in the NBA. There's over 370,000 words all told, so reading them all is quite a task, but if you ever need some human-readable information on an NBA player, this is the place you should go).

What worries me was that he was never able to get on the court with the Spurs. We've seen time and time again that you don't need to be a sublime talent to get playing time with them, you just need commitment to their principles both defensive and offensive and at least one consistently effective and useful skill. That Anderson was unable to do so implies that he was lacking at least one of those. My hope is that the issue was something along the lines of him struggling to internalise the Spurs' intricate and option-heavy offence. If that's the case, then the Rockets' system will suit him much better because it is so much more free-form and probably closer to what you would see on a college team (although I don't know much about what sort of system he played in at Oklahoma State because I don't watch college ball). But apart from that, I can't think of a good reason that he would fail there but succeed here.

Perhaps with more years behind him he will have matured to the point that he's willing to work hard to fit in? He's going to be thrust into a completely different locker room culture with the Rockets, one devoid of the wise-old veterans of the Spurs. I'm a great believer in the theory that a lot of guys' games are shaped by the locker-room environment of their teams, and it would seem that the Spurs' is more conducive to becoming a great pro than the Rockets' is (which is not to say that the Houston locker room is bad, it's just that San Antonio's is peerless in that regard). But perhaps finding some youthful running mates will bring out the best in him. I guess we'll see.

At the end of the day, there are two scenarios where he's going to see time on the court. Either one of Harden, Delfino or Parsons is out, or one of Patterson and Morris is out and Parsons ends up having to play a lot of 4. (Actually, there was an interesting TrueHoop post recently that suggested that the Rockets should be playing Parsons at PF a lot more as the plus/minus data seemed to show it was paying dividends. Dunno if bringing in another wing is a precursor to trying to play small more often though). I don't think he'll be good enough to break into the rotation as I don't think he'll be able to beat out Delfino for minutes, but if he doesn't display Cook's ballhogging tendencies then he's probably an improvement.

ST

#2 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

I think the jury is still out on this guy. to some players the type of system you play in is everything. he may fair far better in the heavy pick and roll based system the rockets run. the guy has talent just seems unable to put it all together. lets hope while he's here the light bulb come on :blink:

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#3 DaDakota

DaDakota

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

If he can stand on the 3pt line and hit that shot consistently he will be a big help.

DD

#4 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

At the end of the day, there are two scenarios where he's going to see time on the court. Either one of Harden, Delfino or Parsons is out, or one of Patterson and Morris is out and Parsons ends up having to play a lot of 4. (Actually, there was an interesting TrueHoop post recently that suggested that the Rockets should be playing Parsons at PF a lot more as the plus/minus data seemed to show it was paying dividends. Dunno if bringing in another wing is a precursor to trying to play small more often though).

ST

Yes, Parsons have played very well at the 4, but against other 3s playing the 4, he is not strong enough to play against the Smiths, Gasols, etc. and he has a bruised shoulder which I'm not enterely sure that is fully healed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users