Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cointurtlemoose : (20 October 2014 - 04:18 AM) I'm liking Kostas' crafty plays.
@  2016Champions : (20 October 2014 - 12:42 AM) Looks like his form improved. A reliable 3pt shot to take away the likes of Ibaka and Aldridge away from the rim could be huge for Harden's drives to the basket, and hopefully also result in more use of the pick and roll between Harden and Dwight.
@  Buckko : (19 October 2014 - 10:32 PM) I think yall will like this http://instagram.com...ideo&modal=true
@  thenit : (15 October 2014 - 12:35 AM) Asik and Davis looks good together
@  thenit : (14 October 2014 - 01:58 PM) I think we have a shot, but we are still behind Washington and OKC.
@  blakecouey : (14 October 2014 - 04:15 AM) He goes to Longhorn football games regularly, have seen him several times. I think we've got a shot, but wouldn't necessarily say we're a favorite to land KD.
@  Losthief : (14 October 2014 - 12:17 AM) the other thing that helps with durant is he likes texas, still goes/visits to UT Austin most summers iirc.
@  Buckko : (13 October 2014 - 10:46 PM) I really like our chances, because even though D.C. is his hometown, harden is his BFF. Dwight/harden/rockets cast>>>>Wall/beal/wizards cast. Plus no income tax.
@  Cooper : (13 October 2014 - 05:23 PM) I think it helps us and the wiz since both could keep there core and add KD but the cap jumping also helps okc since they are so scared of the tax. they can now keep Jackson and add another guy.
@  thenit : (13 October 2014 - 04:27 AM) Until he returns. So still probably end up top 3
@  thenit : (13 October 2014 - 04:27 AM) I think it makes it less likely because teams will get more money from the tv deal. Also he will miss between 12-15 games and they will be above .500
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 October 2014 - 03:26 AM) This may just be wild fantasy, but with Durant's chances of winning a title at least diminished and the cap jumping significantly when he's a free agent, is it fair to say whatever small chance we have of landing him as a FA is a little better?
@  feelingsuper... : (12 October 2014 - 03:52 PM) Getting to the Finals and winning has become a few levels more difficult for the Thunder.
@  feelingsuper... : (12 October 2014 - 03:37 PM) Kevin Durant out for 6 to 8 weeks, fracture in foot.
@  Buckko : (11 October 2014 - 01:40 AM) No, he IS the worst announcer. That's why road games without him can be the best.
@  Dan G : (11 October 2014 - 12:34 AM) I'm with you on Clyde FSS. I loved Clyde as a player but he has got to be the worst announcer ever. I just wish it was Bill and Bullard, or bring back Calvin Murphy.
@  txtdo1411 : (10 October 2014 - 10:40 PM) I am starting to get very excited about our bench. I know it is preseason, but the toughness and grit is inspiring.
@  feelingsuper... : (10 October 2014 - 04:35 PM) Also as a reminder to any of you interested in joining us in the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League be sure to check here http://www.red94.net...ge-2#entry44420
@  feelingsuper... : (10 October 2014 - 04:33 PM) It's nothing, he just knocked knees during practice if I'm not mistaken. If it was the regular season he probably would have played.
@  08huangj : (10 October 2014 - 06:13 AM) He's injured...sorry.

Photo

Who are the Rockets?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Adi1008

Adi1008

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

So far in the season, the Rockets have beat many teams I would have thought they would have lost to, like the Lakers, Bulls, Knicks, and Celtics. Even in some of the games that they have lost against teams like this, the result is fairly close and the game could have gone either way (like Rockets vs. Miami [110-113]). The Knicks and Celtics have been blown out by the Rockets (Knicks twice), and even ugly wins are still wins, like their win against the Bulls.

For example:

@ Atlanta (109-102)
vs. Chicago (93-89)
vs. New York (131-103)
vs. Los Angeles (107-105)
vs. Boston (101-89)
vs. New York (109-96)

However, on the other hand they have lost some games I thought they should have won. Against Portland, the game was neck and neck until the Rockets collapsed in the overtime period. Even in some games they won against poor teams, they were struggling until somebody, whether it is Harden, Parsons, Lin, or even Asik steps up and "saves" them. One example of this is the game against the Hornets. The final score was 100-96, and the Hornets made a huge comeback in the second half. In most of their losses, the game could have been won save a few costly turnovers or missed shots.

For example:

vs. Portland (85-95)
vs. Denver (87-93)
vs. Miami (110-113)
vs. Portland (117-119)
vs. San Antonio (126-134)
vs. Toronto (96-103)

Although, keep in mind that many of the examples are against formidable opponents. The point that I am trying to convey is that the Rockets could have won, not that the other teams are bad.

The Rockets seem to have a knack for winning games that they shouldn't and losing games that they should win. Are they an underrated team that pulls surprises and can be the dark horse in playoff races? Or are they a team that falls to poorer teams due to fatigue, overconfidence, etc.?

They also don't have a good defense, which could have resulted in more games won if this wasn't a factor.

With no consistent shooting star (except Harden) on whom the offense can rely, the Rockets need an improved defense that will have to set up fast-break opportunities.

Playmaking
The Rockets should be a good passing team, with Jeremy Lin showing more of a feel for playmaking than he had last season, especially on the break. The frontcourt passing has been surprisingly strong. Despite Omer Asik’s limitations as a scorer, he has been an effective passer, while Chandler Parsons has been the sort of ball mover he had been at Florida. Scott Machado

has shown his skills as a playmaker, especially on the break.

Rebounding
Omer Asik should be among the league leaders, but the Rockets have not given him enough help on the boards and have shown little on the offensive glass to make up for the offensive deficiencies. Perimeter players will have to help rebound, which is not a strength, especially in the backcourt. The Rockets could also be exposed on the boards off the bench, where they will have to rely heavily on rookies.

Defense
The defense has a chance to be markedly improved with Omer Asik to patrol the lane. He and Patrick Patterson are excellent defensive players against pick-and-rolls, job one of any NBA defense. The challenge for the Rockets will be to be up-tempo offensively and stingy defensively, usually a tough combination. The defense could be much like the offense, solid overall but weaker in one-on-one situations.

In other words, who are the Rockets?

#2 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

I think it's just a symptom of being a young team, or, to be exact, the youngest team in the league. Though I think they're playing far better than one would expect for a team with that average age. Of course, a lot of that has to do with having "young veterans" like Harden/Asik rather than knuckleheads.

#3 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
  • 286 posts
  • LocationAbilene

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

I agree with the characterization of our team as young, but I think exciting is also a good descriptor. It seems like most corners of the basketball world are quick to notice that Houston is "a fun team," or "a League Pass gem" or something along those lines, and it's hard to argue against that. Their fast pace, likable cast, and ability to at least keep it close against any team makes me feel like this year's Rockets could be analogous to the Timberwolves from last year, only with a higher ceiling (For the moment, at least).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users