Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  rocketrick : (01 October 2014 - 04:54 PM) Ooops, the Rockets first Home game this preseason is OCTOBER 9. Sorry about that!
@  rocketrick : (01 October 2014 - 04:27 PM) Like Coach McHale mentioned in the Sirius XM interview yesterday, the players will begin to determine their roles off the bench (starters are pretty much set in stone as all of us know).
@  rocketrick : (01 October 2014 - 04:26 PM) I'm looking forward to seeing the first preseason game vs. Memphis in person on Thurs. Feb 9!!
@  jorgeaam : (29 September 2014 - 09:01 PM) It was a joke, it seemed like Injury Report in there
@  Cooper : (29 September 2014 - 04:03 PM) you're quick
@  jorgeaam : (28 September 2014 - 04:35 AM) Paul George out for the season
@  Buckko : (28 September 2014 - 02:07 AM) Tyreke Evans out 3-5 weeks.
@  Cooper : (27 September 2014 - 01:05 AM) rondo out 6-8 weeks
@  rocketrick : (25 September 2014 - 02:06 PM) I'm not a huge Bill Simmons fan as his "inside information" related to NBA player movement at times is a reach, but today I LOVE me some Bill Simmons! He is willing to say what most everyone feels about one Roger Goodell. Should be a lesson for the NBA prior to the start of the regular season.
@  Cooper : (25 September 2014 - 01:58 AM) Worth the gamble for the suns but was not the best option for the rockets.
@  rocketrick : (25 September 2014 - 12:28 AM) Wow, early reports this morning was 4 years around $50 million and by late this afternoon that had changed to 5 years at $70 million for Eric Bledsoe. Good for him! Much too expensive for the Rockets in my opinion.
@  thenit : (24 September 2014 - 11:51 PM) 5for 70 is what I have seen
@  rocketrick : (24 September 2014 - 01:24 PM) $50 million moreorless per reports.
@  rocketrick : (24 September 2014 - 01:24 PM) Like I posted on numerous occasions, chasing Bledsoe was a waste of time. Reports this morning indicate he is close to signing a 4-year deal for P million moreorless, to stay a Sun going forward.
@  thejohnnygold : (24 September 2014 - 12:37 AM) I believe it is that Harden is insanely good playing off the ball...we simply lack a better ball handler/creator. Hence, Rondo.
@  2016Champions : (23 September 2014 - 05:32 PM) I heard Morey loves Rondo though so there must be something I'm missing.
@  2016Champions : (23 September 2014 - 04:56 PM) Bledsoe played off the ball a lot next to Dragic, right? So wouldn't that make him the better fit in contrast to the ball dominant Rondo?
@  YaoMan : (22 September 2014 - 04:29 PM) Personally I'd rather have Rondo over Bledsoe by far but I'm not sure the chances of getting Rondo are that high but I am hoping
@  redfaithful : (21 September 2014 - 11:40 AM) So many overpaid players in Minnesota... Including a couple ex-Rockets
@  Cooper : (20 September 2014 - 12:48 AM) Bennet? Or they have a couple other young guys.

Photo

Who are the Rockets?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Adi1008

Adi1008

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

So far in the season, the Rockets have beat many teams I would have thought they would have lost to, like the Lakers, Bulls, Knicks, and Celtics. Even in some of the games that they have lost against teams like this, the result is fairly close and the game could have gone either way (like Rockets vs. Miami [110-113]). The Knicks and Celtics have been blown out by the Rockets (Knicks twice), and even ugly wins are still wins, like their win against the Bulls.

For example:

@ Atlanta (109-102)
vs. Chicago (93-89)
vs. New York (131-103)
vs. Los Angeles (107-105)
vs. Boston (101-89)
vs. New York (109-96)

However, on the other hand they have lost some games I thought they should have won. Against Portland, the game was neck and neck until the Rockets collapsed in the overtime period. Even in some games they won against poor teams, they were struggling until somebody, whether it is Harden, Parsons, Lin, or even Asik steps up and "saves" them. One example of this is the game against the Hornets. The final score was 100-96, and the Hornets made a huge comeback in the second half. In most of their losses, the game could have been won save a few costly turnovers or missed shots.

For example:

vs. Portland (85-95)
vs. Denver (87-93)
vs. Miami (110-113)
vs. Portland (117-119)
vs. San Antonio (126-134)
vs. Toronto (96-103)

Although, keep in mind that many of the examples are against formidable opponents. The point that I am trying to convey is that the Rockets could have won, not that the other teams are bad.

The Rockets seem to have a knack for winning games that they shouldn't and losing games that they should win. Are they an underrated team that pulls surprises and can be the dark horse in playoff races? Or are they a team that falls to poorer teams due to fatigue, overconfidence, etc.?

They also don't have a good defense, which could have resulted in more games won if this wasn't a factor.

With no consistent shooting star (except Harden) on whom the offense can rely, the Rockets need an improved defense that will have to set up fast-break opportunities.

Playmaking
The Rockets should be a good passing team, with Jeremy Lin showing more of a feel for playmaking than he had last season, especially on the break. The frontcourt passing has been surprisingly strong. Despite Omer Asik’s limitations as a scorer, he has been an effective passer, while Chandler Parsons has been the sort of ball mover he had been at Florida. Scott Machado

has shown his skills as a playmaker, especially on the break.

Rebounding
Omer Asik should be among the league leaders, but the Rockets have not given him enough help on the boards and have shown little on the offensive glass to make up for the offensive deficiencies. Perimeter players will have to help rebound, which is not a strength, especially in the backcourt. The Rockets could also be exposed on the boards off the bench, where they will have to rely heavily on rookies.

Defense
The defense has a chance to be markedly improved with Omer Asik to patrol the lane. He and Patrick Patterson are excellent defensive players against pick-and-rolls, job one of any NBA defense. The challenge for the Rockets will be to be up-tempo offensively and stingy defensively, usually a tough combination. The defense could be much like the offense, solid overall but weaker in one-on-one situations.

In other words, who are the Rockets?

#2 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

I think it's just a symptom of being a young team, or, to be exact, the youngest team in the league. Though I think they're playing far better than one would expect for a team with that average age. Of course, a lot of that has to do with having "young veterans" like Harden/Asik rather than knuckleheads.

#3 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
  • 286 posts
  • LocationAbilene

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

I agree with the characterization of our team as young, but I think exciting is also a good descriptor. It seems like most corners of the basketball world are quick to notice that Houston is "a fun team," or "a League Pass gem" or something along those lines, and it's hard to argue against that. Their fast pace, likable cast, and ability to at least keep it close against any team makes me feel like this year's Rockets could be analogous to the Timberwolves from last year, only with a higher ceiling (For the moment, at least).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users