Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  feelingsuper... : (24 April 2014 - 05:46 AM) Looking back maybe they peaked too early, bought into the hype and then the injuries didn't help.
@  tombrokeoff : (24 April 2014 - 05:37 AM) by my count, the Rockets are 10-10 in their last 20 games. havent been playing great in some time.
@  tombrokeoff : (24 April 2014 - 05:34 AM) when was the last time you were confident in what you saw the Rockets producing on the court? Apr 4th vs OKC? Mar 9th vs Portland? March 7th vs Indiana??
@  Cooper : (24 April 2014 - 05:29 AM) LMA looks like 2011 dirk, but hasn't helped that harden has completely no showed. Team didn't show any fire outside of dwight and hobbled Bev which is ridiculous for a playoff game.
@  tombrokeoff : (24 April 2014 - 05:10 AM) yeah they better bring it back to houston. would be nice if they could manage to win one there and again once back here to take it 6. would be incredible if they could take it to 7. theyll be lucky to win 1 though i think. unless portland pulls a houston and gets big headed/over confident.
@  feelingsuper... : (24 April 2014 - 05:09 AM) I agree, this is the most disappointed in Harden and this team I've been since he arrived. I hope they don't splinter. It's time for them to toughen up and close ranks whether they win or lose this series.
@  tombrokeoff : (24 April 2014 - 05:02 AM) yeah i just dont get why hes MIA .... I honestly hope that something comes out a month or so from now that hes dealing with some crazy offcourt drama. not that i want his game easily affected, but dont some kind of 'ahhh ok i guess i get it now' excuse would make me feel a little better.
@  rockets best... : (24 April 2014 - 05:00 AM) I think this is the most I have been disappointed in Harden since he arrived
@  tombrokeoff : (24 April 2014 - 04:59 AM) agreed
@  rockets best... : (24 April 2014 - 04:59 AM) I saw no fire from Harden. time for him to go see the wizard and get a heart
@  feelingsuper... : (24 April 2014 - 04:58 AM) Aldridge didn't play like this in the regular season. He is on a mission and Portland looks Conference Finals bound.
@  feelingsuper... : (24 April 2014 - 04:56 AM) Harden seems like he is going to learn the hard way. He is going to get schooled a couple years in the post season before he gets it.
@  tombrokeoff : (24 April 2014 - 04:55 AM) i seriously dont know how we went 3-1 vs Portland in the reg season. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE matchup for us. Therefore I hate to throw all of the blame on McHale, but I wanted him fired 2 years ago.
@  rockets best... : (24 April 2014 - 04:52 AM) Harden played like a 3rd banana maybe 4th even.....might be time to get serious about that Melo talk
@  rockets best... : (24 April 2014 - 04:49 AM) slow him down even
@  rockets best... : (24 April 2014 - 04:49 AM) Portland has figured out how to slow Harden yet McHale can't adjust to stop LMA
@  miketheodio : (24 April 2014 - 04:48 AM) yeah it's not one person. it's the mantra of the system the team runs. lookin at you morey.
@  rockets best... : (24 April 2014 - 04:48 AM) yeah but it starts with the coach
@  feelingsuper... : (24 April 2014 - 04:47 AM) I just think it's more complicated than one person being a scapegoat, seems too simplistic.
@  rockets best... : (24 April 2014 - 04:46 AM) if McHale gives us that the ball got sticky phase I'll pass out

Photo

Who are the Rockets?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Adi1008

Adi1008

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

So far in the season, the Rockets have beat many teams I would have thought they would have lost to, like the Lakers, Bulls, Knicks, and Celtics. Even in some of the games that they have lost against teams like this, the result is fairly close and the game could have gone either way (like Rockets vs. Miami [110-113]). The Knicks and Celtics have been blown out by the Rockets (Knicks twice), and even ugly wins are still wins, like their win against the Bulls.

For example:

@ Atlanta (109-102)
vs. Chicago (93-89)
vs. New York (131-103)
vs. Los Angeles (107-105)
vs. Boston (101-89)
vs. New York (109-96)

However, on the other hand they have lost some games I thought they should have won. Against Portland, the game was neck and neck until the Rockets collapsed in the overtime period. Even in some games they won against poor teams, they were struggling until somebody, whether it is Harden, Parsons, Lin, or even Asik steps up and "saves" them. One example of this is the game against the Hornets. The final score was 100-96, and the Hornets made a huge comeback in the second half. In most of their losses, the game could have been won save a few costly turnovers or missed shots.

For example:

vs. Portland (85-95)
vs. Denver (87-93)
vs. Miami (110-113)
vs. Portland (117-119)
vs. San Antonio (126-134)
vs. Toronto (96-103)

Although, keep in mind that many of the examples are against formidable opponents. The point that I am trying to convey is that the Rockets could have won, not that the other teams are bad.

The Rockets seem to have a knack for winning games that they shouldn't and losing games that they should win. Are they an underrated team that pulls surprises and can be the dark horse in playoff races? Or are they a team that falls to poorer teams due to fatigue, overconfidence, etc.?

They also don't have a good defense, which could have resulted in more games won if this wasn't a factor.

With no consistent shooting star (except Harden) on whom the offense can rely, the Rockets need an improved defense that will have to set up fast-break opportunities.

Playmaking
The Rockets should be a good passing team, with Jeremy Lin showing more of a feel for playmaking than he had last season, especially on the break. The frontcourt passing has been surprisingly strong. Despite Omer Asik’s limitations as a scorer, he has been an effective passer, while Chandler Parsons has been the sort of ball mover he had been at Florida. Scott Machado

has shown his skills as a playmaker, especially on the break.

Rebounding
Omer Asik should be among the league leaders, but the Rockets have not given him enough help on the boards and have shown little on the offensive glass to make up for the offensive deficiencies. Perimeter players will have to help rebound, which is not a strength, especially in the backcourt. The Rockets could also be exposed on the boards off the bench, where they will have to rely heavily on rookies.

Defense
The defense has a chance to be markedly improved with Omer Asik to patrol the lane. He and Patrick Patterson are excellent defensive players against pick-and-rolls, job one of any NBA defense. The challenge for the Rockets will be to be up-tempo offensively and stingy defensively, usually a tough combination. The defense could be much like the offense, solid overall but weaker in one-on-one situations.

In other words, who are the Rockets?

#2 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

I think it's just a symptom of being a young team, or, to be exact, the youngest team in the league. Though I think they're playing far better than one would expect for a team with that average age. Of course, a lot of that has to do with having "young veterans" like Harden/Asik rather than knuckleheads.

#3 Drew in Abilene

Drew in Abilene

• Moderators
  • 270 posts
  • LocationAbilene

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

I agree with the characterization of our team as young, but I think exciting is also a good descriptor. It seems like most corners of the basketball world are quick to notice that Houston is "a fun team," or "a League Pass gem" or something along those lines, and it's hard to argue against that. Their fast pace, likable cast, and ability to at least keep it close against any team makes me feel like this year's Rockets could be analogous to the Timberwolves from last year, only with a higher ceiling (For the moment, at least).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users