Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Dan G : (17 April 2014 - 10:17 PM) That is some interesting news. We gotta get past Portland first, but I like that stat for the next round.
@  feelingsuper... : (17 April 2014 - 12:45 PM) So yesterday during Truehoop TV Amin said the teams that win any season series 4 to 0 go on in the post season with a 51 and 4 record versus the losing team. Hmmmmmm...
@  Buckko : (15 April 2014 - 05:22 AM) Hope we can get him back in the offseason, he was just signed for the rest of the offseason.
@  jorgeaam : (15 April 2014 - 04:16 AM) Bulls release Tornike Shengelia and sign Greg Smith, well, that didn't take long
@  Cooper : (15 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) nice win. Dwight looks like he's ready go. Bev's still a little rusty but he should be fine.
@  Sir Thursday : (14 April 2014 - 10:24 PM) Thanks huang, that's useful knowledge :).
@  08huangj : (14 April 2014 - 01:15 AM) I've watched a lot of his games
@  08huangj : (14 April 2014 - 01:15 AM) Guys, I live in Guangzhou. Just in case you didn't notice, Powell was in Guangzhou playing with the tigers before he came to the Rockets. No midrange shot. Good rebounder. Bad defender. Good at attacking the rim. This is my summary for his time at Guangzhou.
@  Cooper : (13 April 2014 - 11:16 PM) hes 6-9 so id guess more of a pf but it doesn't really matter either way I guess.
@  Buckko : (13 April 2014 - 11:02 PM) Not really, you seen his season averages? Not pretty.
@  Sir Thursday : (13 April 2014 - 10:18 PM) He's more of a PF, I thought. You could always make the specious "RINGZZZ!" argument, since he won two with the Lakers...
@  Buckko : (13 April 2014 - 09:04 PM) Waived Pittman, signed Josh Powell. I don't really get why they signed a scrub SF.
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:41 AM) In the postgame interview, Bev said he was alright, but it looked iffy...
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:40 AM) Not watching the game. Just looking at the play-by-plays.
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) Rockets win!
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) Oh gosh, I hope Beverley isn't hurt again... He was taken out in the last few seconds limping after falling and looking like he hurt his right knee...
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:39 AM) yep
@  Drew in Abilene : (13 April 2014 - 02:35 AM) Harden, Lin, and Beverley all coming up big in these last few clutch minutes.
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:01 AM) And why is Parsons missing?
@  08huangj : (13 April 2014 - 02:00 AM) If Rockets don't get better soon, they are not going to be the fourth seed in the western conference.

Photo

The Emerging Chandler Parsons

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

New post: The Emerging Chandler Parsons

#2 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

Perhaps the biggest "loss" from getting Harden was the possibility Parsons could have become a star. W/the ball in his hands far more,his shown determination to make plays down the stretch,it's entirely possible Parsons could have made a huge leap toward star playerdom this season.

OTOH,anyone would have 100 out of a 100 times traded for a player you KNEW was going to be a star vs a player you HOPED might become one.

More and more I'm becoming convinces Parsons' comparable is not an improved Battier,but a taller Robert Reid. For those who are too young to know/remember Bobby Jo,he was a SF/SG who was never quite a star,but could do almost everything well-just not great. He defended,scored,rebounded,was a good enough passer that he was used as the PG at times,ran the court and was a team leader.

#3 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

The one thing I miss about last year is Scola throwing oops to Chandler from the post. That was my favorite thing about the Rockets last year.

#4 rockets best fan

rockets best fan

glad you're on board, but I been on this boat since it left

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Locationhouston

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

I have to admit I was not as optimistic about parsons as most in the forum, but lately he has been on a nice run.

you can only warn a man that the bridge is out.....if he keeps driving he's on his own B)

#5 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

New post: Chandler Parsons, Power Forward?

#6 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

I wonder if management might just consider acquiring a star small forward rather than looking into power forward options, and moving Parsons to the '4' full-time. Getting another wing guy might be easier.

#7 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

Rahat, I think that is an interesting proposition that would open our eyes to more options. Right now it almost feels like tunnel vision at times since the 4 spot seems to be so sorely in need (at least for the time being).

But wouldn't that sort of limit us to small ball? I know that seems to be sort of getting "in" these days in the NBA, and seems conducive to our fast pace...and our numbers are a lot better w/ Parsons at the '4'...yet I still have my hesitations. I guess it depends on what pieces we keep so we'll know what sort of flexibility we may have in our rotations lol.

#8 Forrest Walker

Forrest Walker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

I've been impressed by McHale's lineup management lately; he's willing to go small or large when the situation calls for it, and it's been working. I think Parsons could spend more time as the second tallest Rocket on the court. As long as he has the size to guard his man, and can contribute the necessary components on offense (scoring, spacing, etc), I don't think anyone even needs to worry about what his native position is.

#9 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Is the information gathered from a large enough sample to think it might hold true for a full season? If so, adding the opportunity to find a wing instead of a 4 is very helpful. Not sure who all is out there on the block/in a contract year - but certainly there is someone.

#10 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Actually, after I typed that out, I realized that's not a full-time, long-term solution. You won't win big in the NBA playing smallball unless Lebron James is the power forward.

I think Chandler at the 4 is a great option in stretches, as the numbers show, but they will still need a long-term 4.

#11 phaketrash

phaketrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

I agree on the need for a long term 4, even w/ Parsons taking the slot temporarily. But I guess we could wait for one of our young talents developing into that role while Parsons starts at the 4. Depending on who we keep in a potential trade, we might even be able to still have 2Pat coming off the bench/alternate w/ Parsons at the 4 when necessary.

I've heard of having Iggy at the 3 and Parsons at the 4 before, which sounded interesting (he's an FA in 2014 I believe)...though I remain skeptical that a Lin/Harden/Iguodala/Parsons/Asik core can be a true NBA contender.

#12 Ostrow

Ostrow

Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

Not that this means anything but Thorpe has Parsons as the #3 2nd year player. http://insider.espn....nd-year-players (i'll copy and paste the part about Parsons for the non-insiders)

3. Chandler Parsons, Rockets
Parsons gets the award for the most unlikely guy to appear so high on this list. For three years at Florida, he mostly slept-walked through games relative to his talent. But winning player of the year in the SEC as a senior proved to him that he could excel in a league of athletes, and he has not slowed down since. Parsons had an impressive rookie campaign, and he is better basically everywhere on the floor now for the fast-paced Rockets. Parsons often plays like a shutdown wing defender, but he is not yet strong enough to do it nightly. His ability and size allows him to excel often as a power forward and his improved free throw shooting, willingness to move the ball and good ball-handling for someone so tall makes him a real plus on the offensive end. These skills and physical talents combine into a long-time NBA starter.

#13 rzhen

rzhen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:07 AM

Looks like we have ourselves one of the best 'Role-Playing Ball Handlers', courtesy of Mr. Alagappan: http://www.sloanspor...nce.com/?p=5431

Given these positions, Rockets could go for the likes of a '3-point Rebounder', 'Scoring Rebounder', or 'Scoring Paint Protector' a la Ersan Ilyasova ('07-'08 Troy Murphy would be nice), Paul Millsap, or our favorite Cousins, respectively. However, I don't mind playing wait and see for what Jones and Motiejunas could bring to the table given minutes like Morris did this year. Then again, we only have a 3ish year window and don't want to mess up championship aspirations this time around.

#14 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

After watching the Hornets game, with PPatt very effectively finishing the game at the 5 spot, it makes me take these stats on players being more effective at different positions with a game of salt.
As the case in tonight's game, putting Patterson at the 5 and taking Asik out (who it should be noted tied a career high 21-points), was a situational decision--McHale needed someone who could close out on Jason Smith/Ryan Anderson's shooting. The plus-minus for Patterson playing center over those minutes is ridiculously good, but it was dependent on him being able to abuse the matchup.
Putting that in the context of Chandler's 54 as a PF, I would say it is probably as much the result of McHale exploiting the matchup on the floor in any particular game as it is the result of Parsons' individual skillset.

#15 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:02 AM

Excuse me, "grain of salt."

#16 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 2,804 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:47 AM

Based on all this "speculation" I worked up a little trade scenario....The trade machine is addictive....

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=9wkpxch

It's a little crazy, but I like it for every team involved.

This is based on Parsons' ability to play the 3 & the 4 while developing the PF's we keep.

#17 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

thejohnnygold: Do you really see Boston trading Rondo right now? Really? :D I don´t mind letting PPat and Delfino go, but I´m not Smith´s biggest fan anyway...

#18 Alituro

Alituro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

We've had 3 years of talking about complicated blockbuster trades. I think we're past that now, it's too soon and this roster is too young to start blowing it up now. There is one glaring weak spot though IMO and it's at PF (go figure) even though it's the most stacked position on our roster. The two regulars at the spot, although with some nice upsides, are challenged when it comes to rebounding. PPat especially, last night versus NO, although getting 10, for once, he still missed his box outs more than he made them and it resulted in a sick amount of offensive rebounds for NO. A lot of people here will defend PPat by saying we can't stand to lose his positional defense expertise. But, if you spend 24 seconds forcing a team to take a bad shot, but don't have the ability to secure the rebound from said bad shot, then the good D was all for naught. Rebounding is all a matter of intuition (ask Dennis Rodman) and either you have it or you don't, it's tough to teach. So many times I see a shot go up and Ppat stands there feet planted watching the shot through the arc slack-jawed like some sort of fan.

Parsons has that intuition. Morris may have it but the sample size is still a little small. Someone posted a link to a blog a few weeks backed highlighting Greg Smith's production and on the same page had a list of players that have the most negative impact on their teams. Patterson was on the list. I wonder if the signing of James Anderson is an omen of things to come at the PF position. Anderson being able to play either wing spot and has the potential to be a starter in this league. D-Mo is an excellent offensive player too, and from what I've seen can grab some rebounds, I'd like to see him getting some burn. He's also a much better shooter than either Morris or Patterson. Going big with D-mo and Asik holding down the post will be fun to watch one day.

#19 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 2,804 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

thejohnnygold: Do you really see Boston trading Rondo right now? Really? :D I don´t mind letting PPat and Delfino go, but I´m not Smith´s biggest fan anyway...

I do. He is a volatile player and presence in the organization. I think If you can turn him into a near equally efffective PG AND a stud center you do it. I think Kevin Garnett is one of the few people in this league that Cousins would respect and listen to. It gives Boston a huge leg up in the East.

I see your point and I do agree that if anyone kills this deal it's Boston. But it's still the NBA and rule #1 for them is you can't coach size. Look at every year's draft and you will see they still think this way.

#20 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 2,804 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

Alituro,

Don't get me wrong....I like our team and would like to see them stay together, grow, and succeed. I was just having a bit of fun with the trade machine in response to a post I read about Parsons' success at the 4 and updating the 3 position instead. In regards to that, I like the trade and really, we are only giving up T. Jones' potential, C. Delfino, and PPat which we all seem to agree is not the best of the bunch--just a solid reserve. It may be a blockbuster trade for the other teams, but for us I think it's just a little refining...or a finishing touch. We give up the least in the deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users