Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  slick shoes : (22 July 2014 - 03:11 AM) live by the three, die by the three.
@  feelingsuper... : (22 July 2014 - 02:54 AM) 21% on three pointers by Canaan and company, damn.
@  feelingsuper... : (22 July 2014 - 02:51 AM) Rockets Summer Leaguers shot 32%, rough ending.
@  Buckko : (20 July 2014 - 07:01 PM) I refer to the writers, as yall due to the multiple of them. We are the loyal readers. I should've word it better.
@  rockets best... : (20 July 2014 - 06:12 PM) we and y'all are the same people :lol:
@  bboley24 : (20 July 2014 - 12:32 PM) who is we and who is yall?
@  Buckko : (20 July 2014 - 08:21 AM) Can we get a post about defensive improvement or yall waiting until the defensive assistant gets chosen?
@  Buckko : (20 July 2014 - 07:37 AM) With internal improvement, the defensive minded FA acquisitions, and hopefully a good Defensive minded assistant. The rockets will be closer to a top 5 D than top 10.
@  miketheodio : (20 July 2014 - 05:55 AM) i wonder how much better the starting 5 will be with a wing who actually plays defense
@  rockets best... : (18 July 2014 - 09:26 PM) Kendall Marshall is Ish Smith of a few years ago
@  Cooper : (18 July 2014 - 07:33 PM) Lakers waived Kendall Marshall, hes decent.
@  YaoMan : (18 July 2014 - 07:10 PM) @ slick shoes - And I'm bringing muzzles for them ladies in case they feel the need to start!
@  slick shoes : (18 July 2014 - 07:06 PM) @YaoMan I got a bit nervous at the Bosh strike out but one: FA isn't over and two: it's a long way until the trade deadline. As the saying goes, "It's not over until the fat lady sings."
@  YaoMan : (18 July 2014 - 07:00 PM) @ slick shoes, great points. Just nervous energy while all productive FAs are starting to get snatched up!
@  Cooper : (18 July 2014 - 05:24 PM) yeah i doubt they bringing these guys in with the expectation of them being great, we just need guys to soak up some min maybe a few pan out, maybe they don't.
@  slick shoes : (18 July 2014 - 04:53 PM) We could possibly be just filling slots and/or acquiring trade pieces at this point. Also keep in mind that these contracts are short and cheap which makes them moveable and also keeps us flexible cap wise.
@  YaoMan : (18 July 2014 - 03:52 PM) Adrien, Dorsey and Ish Smith signings (all ex-Rockets) don't impress me in the least...They do not replace any of the production that has left...
@  bladad : (18 July 2014 - 11:38 AM) At this point, would you let go of Wiggins or Kyrie? Lebron could just play point forward for the team...
@  08huangj : (18 July 2014 - 02:36 AM) Reports say that the Rockets just signed Ish Smith?
@  Cooper : (18 July 2014 - 12:45 AM) I don't know if Id trade wiggins for love. Wiggins with lebron would wreck on D. having Irving love and waiters as generally minus defenders and no real rim protector could be a problem.

Photo

How good are the Rockets? The Upcoming Schedule

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

The upcoming schedule is brutal. Tomorrow night is Memphis, which is the best defensive team in the NBA (as measured by defensive efficiency). On Christmas day, we face an improving Chicago team on the road that ranks 3rd in defensive efficiency. That game marks the beginning of four games on five nights, three on the road. The remaining three games are @Minnesota, @San Antonio, and at home against Oklahoma. Then begins a Jan. stretch in which we play 17 games overall, 12 on the road. It will be absolutely brutal. We'll see what kind of team we really have. I'm sure we'll see some ugly basketball along the way, but if we can hang around the .500 mark until late Feburary and early March,when the schedule gets a lot easier, we'll have a great chance to make the playoffs.

#2 blakecouey

blakecouey

Red94 Chief of Police

• Moderators
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

January is the true test of the season. It'll be good to see how the young guys react to all the games and how fatigue affects them.

#3 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

I'm pretty pessimistic about January. I feel like we've had a pretty easy schedule so far in terms of travel - the majority of games have been at home and we've only had a single three game road trip. And that trip went 0-3. The upcoming schedule features three road trips of at least three games, and none of them are easy ones.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any pace-adjusted Home/Away split statistics, but on raw PPG the numbers look pretty bad: the Rockets score 107.3 PPG at home and only 101.0 PPG away, and opponents score only 101.9 PPG at Toyota Centre but 106.4 PPG elsewhere. That's a 10.8 point differential! Small-ish sample size, but nevertheless worrying. Away from home, we get to the line a lot less (28.1 FTA at home vs 24.1 away) and commit a couple more turnovers per game (17.1 vs 15.1). Opponents tend to shoot a couple of percentage points better too, which makes a big difference.

So yeah, hoping the team will prove me wrong, but the next month and a half is going to be a really tough test and I wouldn't be surprised if we fall away from playoff contention during it.

ST

#4 amacbrooks12

amacbrooks12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationBronx, New York

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

Im both nervous and excited about the schedule in January. Im nervous because its going to be a brutal month schedule wise and most of our games are on the road, where we dont play well. But im excited because I have a feeling we are going to get through next month .500 or above. The team has great chemistry right now, everyone is playing well, and I really do believe the rockets won't let themselves have a terrible month.

My only worry is that we play well January, then we callapse again at the end of the season. We have to finish the season strong, especially if we have good playoff position at all star break.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users