Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Cooper : (25 October 2014 - 01:35 PM) Good thing they wasted their first round pick on a guy they sent directly to the dleague.
@  feelingsuper... : (25 October 2014 - 11:14 AM) The Thunder have lost Morrow for about a month and a half. They will be digging themselves out of a hole most of the season.
@  2016Champions : (25 October 2014 - 06:04 AM) I'm a little hyped right now, holding myself back from going full retard.
@  2016Champions : (25 October 2014 - 06:03 AM) Call me crazy but I think if Rockets get the Thunder in the 1st round, then the Spurs in the 2nd, that would be more ideal than any road to the finals where Terrence Jones will be guarding the likes of Blake Griffin, Aldridge, Lee, Dirk, Zbo ect.
@  2016Champions : (25 October 2014 - 05:59 AM) Jeremy who? Lol
@  thejohnnygold : (25 October 2014 - 02:25 AM) That was definitely an awesome way to finish the game
@  Willk : (25 October 2014 - 02:22 AM) im on the canaan bandwagon
@  Losthief : (25 October 2014 - 12:43 AM) Keep Gettin Them CHecks All-Star!
@  Buckko : (24 October 2014 - 03:57 AM) That's an understatement Cooper.
@  rockets best... : (24 October 2014 - 01:16 AM) Nash should have quit 4 years ago
@  Cooper : (24 October 2014 - 01:15 AM) suns really sold high on him.
@  Willk : (24 October 2014 - 12:03 AM) sad to see nash's career end like this
@  cointurtlemoose : (23 October 2014 - 07:16 PM) Philly "doing it right" is a catch-22 when doing it right is completely sacrificing competitiveness for almost entire seasons. I see what you're saying, and it's not Philly's fault.
@  2016Champions : (23 October 2014 - 05:59 PM) I need more to go on to write something up. Just brainstorming right now. Monroe is more of a defensive plus at the 4 than the 5; I think the reason he played the 5 early on his because he couldn't shoot--no longer the case.
@  08huangj : (23 October 2014 - 12:28 PM) He just doesn't seem like a four to me, he started his career as a center. I also don't think that he'd be happy to be a backup and what does a very reasonable price mean. Maybe you can create a thread.
@  2016Champions : (23 October 2014 - 10:14 AM) Monroe would not only improve our starting 4 spot but also serve as a backup center.
@  2016Champions : (23 October 2014 - 10:12 AM) Should we go after Greg Monroe? He seems to have improved his midrange shot, and considering the likelihood he walks, we might be able to acquire him for a very reasonable price.
@  Buckko : (23 October 2014 - 04:31 AM) I have no problem with philly tanking. If you're gonna do something, do it right. They should be an extremely entertaining team in a few years.
@  Willk : (23 October 2014 - 01:23 AM) 2016 - I agree. I would rather see Canaan play than Ish
@  2016Champions : (23 October 2014 - 01:19 AM) Isaiah Canaan seems to get better with every game.

Photo

Recap: San Antonio Spurs 134, Houston Rockets 126.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:27 AM

New post: Recap: San Antonio Spurs 134, Houston Rockets 126.

#2 Bigtkirk

Bigtkirk

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

This was a highly entertaining game and a good example of why this Rockets team is the most fun to watch in years.

You're correct that with the coaching staff apparently unwilling to continue giving Morris time to develop as a wing, this team is woefully thin at that position. Although I think you're point is correct about Parsons, Asik, and Patterson being reasonably good defenders, Lin and Douglas are only average defenders and Delfino is considerably below-average as a wing defender. Delfino's ineffectiveness in playing over 38 minutes was a major factor in the Rockets losing this game.

Finally, my sense is that Lin and Harden will eventually be fine together. These things take time -- they still have had less than 20 games together. Lin seems like the type of PG who will figure out a way to make the combo work. Plus, Lin's jumper falling like it was last night has a way of expediting any tandem's effectiveness.

#3 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

I didn't watch this game. (I actually have an exam in about 2 hours.) But I think this puts to bed the notion that Linsanity was a fluke and that the guy is a scrub. You just simply cannot have this many dominant performances by chance.

It just reaffirms the notion that perhaps Lin and Harden aren't the best fit together (hence the premise by myself before that Dragic would've been the better fit next to Harden.)

Both players are clearly legit. It's up to the coaching staff now to somehow make it happen and get these guys to thrive together. And after last night, I now think that's what this year should be about: getting through that growing pain. No more benching Lin in 4th quarters for Douglas for the sake of short term gains. That does us nothing going forward. They have to figure it out, even if it means more losses.

#4 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

I think Lin and Harden need to both be ready to be option A on any given night, depending on the matchup. Right now Lin always defers to Harden because he's the better player. Lin, Harden and the coaches need to do a better job of recognizing when Lin should take control. This might also get easier when the Beard gets tired of playing 40 minutes per night.

#5 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,544 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

Thanks for the recap. Agree with most, but I think Marcus Morris is improving lots. His box scores more often than not show efficiency. This is impressive given his limited touches--he has a similar quality that Harden displayed in OKC coming off the bench for instant offense. He also showed the ability to score out of an iso--something the Rockets need while they decide if they are a pick

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 3,544 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

I should have read the other comments first. Totally agree that Morris needs more playing time and Delfino made me think there was another point shaving scandal in the NBA--horrible play last night.

#7 CHOPE

CHOPE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

http://jeremylintell...t-a-great-team/

#8 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Delfino is pretty bad I'd assume he is only get playing time so they could potentially flip him at the deadline. We don't have much wing depth but they could find a dleague guy as good or better than him at this point.

#9 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

It seems I'm in the minority, but I didn't think Delfino had an awful game last night, at least not for the first three quarters. From where I was sitting, he was one of the main reasons the Spurs bigs were stymied offensively - whenever Duncan or Splitter was setting up in the post Delfino would be there with the hard double team - I remember him disrupting quite a few plays that way. Early on he was also able to deflect quite a few passes - he tends to be pretty good at that. I don't recall seeing him out of position because he gambled for the steal, which is what happens with bad gamblers. If it was possible to count the number of Spurs turnovers he was responsible for causing, I suspect it would be reasonably high. Obviously his shot wasn't falling, and I would agree that he made a couple of dubious decisions in transition down the stretch (in general, the Rockets seemed unusually reticent to push the transition game), but I don't think that completely erases his good work in the early going.

One thing that I've noticed is that Chandler Parsons is getting into a lot of trouble playing off his man on the perimeter. Especially when matched up with quicker guys he gives them a lot of room in order to cut off the drive, but in the last couple of games that has just let his assignment hit a three pointer in his face (see Mayo, OJ and Neal, Gary). Perhaps his shoulder is making him reticent about bodying up his man quite so much? Hopefully the coaching staff will point this out to him and get him to run players off the three point line a bit more. It certainly would have been preferable last night for him to have been forcing Neal to beat him off the dribble. We like to think of him as our stopper, but it's worth mentioning that he's still not quite there yet.

I did like that he was a lot more assertive behind the three point line tonight. Despite his shot not falling in the early going he stuck with it and eventually they started dropping - I don't recall anywhere near the number of open shots being passed up that there have been in previous games, so that's good.

Also great to see Asik back providing a bit of offence again. When the coaches can't trust Asik to provide a modicum of competency when he's passed the ball, the team's offence really struggles. Tonight he was putting up points from his touches (whether via the free throw line, putbacks, or that jaw dropping bank shot late in regulation) and the whole team flowed better as a result. Would like to see Patterson get back into the groove again - we could really use a bit more from him if Harden is going to be out for any length of time.

ST

EDIT: said majority when I meant minority. Doh!

Edited by Sir Thursday, 12 December 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#10 Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

"Someone who is far more intelligent about basketball than I am needs to explain our defense, because at this point I have no idea what’s going on. Douglas, Lin, Parsons, Asik, and Patterson. All five are guys who have at least good reputation at defense, and no one on the squad has a reputation of being a particularly bad or a Kevin Martin level defender."

I totally agree with Paul's sentiments and I hope Rahat and the rest of the staff at Red94 will follow up. I'm shocked how good our offense is, and equally shocked how bad our defense is. Perhaps its the lack of time together as a team--good individual defenders not working together is problematic. I also think we are too passive on defensive--we need to more aggressively trap and double-team to get teams out of their comfort zone.

#11 ale11

ale11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

Our troubles in defense might have to do with time to know each other, but obviously, being the team with the highest rate of turnovers has everything to do with that. We usually get killed in fastbrake score and that's probably because Asik is not fast enough to get to defense if we are turning the ball THAT much....first thing to do to improve the defense? KEEP THE TURNOVERS DOWN!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users