Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  bboley24 : (25 July 2014 - 02:32 AM) D League or not... he's here and he's working out with the best... it's good for all around... Sergio.
@  Buckko : (25 July 2014 - 12:16 AM) Well shots fired between harden and parsons.
@  majik19 : (24 July 2014 - 09:09 PM) He'll spend likely the whole season with the D-league team. He's 4th on the depth chart, at best.
@  txtdo1411 : (24 July 2014 - 03:51 PM) I like it as well YaoMan. You can't ever have enough long and athletic big men. It will be nice to see how he develops.
@  YaoMan : (24 July 2014 - 03:40 PM) Rockets sign Clint Capela and has been added to their regular season roster - I like this. He's got a high ceiling...
@  slick shoes : (22 July 2014 - 03:11 AM) live by the three, die by the three.
@  feelingsuper... : (22 July 2014 - 02:54 AM) 21% on three pointers by Canaan and company, damn.
@  feelingsuper... : (22 July 2014 - 02:51 AM) Rockets Summer Leaguers shot 32%, rough ending.
@  Buckko : (20 July 2014 - 07:01 PM) I refer to the writers, as yall due to the multiple of them. We are the loyal readers. I should've word it better.
@  rockets best... : (20 July 2014 - 06:12 PM) we and y'all are the same people :lol:
@  bboley24 : (20 July 2014 - 12:32 PM) who is we and who is yall?
@  Buckko : (20 July 2014 - 08:21 AM) Can we get a post about defensive improvement or yall waiting until the defensive assistant gets chosen?
@  Buckko : (20 July 2014 - 07:37 AM) With internal improvement, the defensive minded FA acquisitions, and hopefully a good Defensive minded assistant. The rockets will be closer to a top 5 D than top 10.
@  miketheodio : (20 July 2014 - 05:55 AM) i wonder how much better the starting 5 will be with a wing who actually plays defense
@  rockets best... : (18 July 2014 - 09:26 PM) Kendall Marshall is Ish Smith of a few years ago
@  Cooper : (18 July 2014 - 07:33 PM) Lakers waived Kendall Marshall, hes decent.
@  YaoMan : (18 July 2014 - 07:10 PM) @ slick shoes - And I'm bringing muzzles for them ladies in case they feel the need to start!
@  slick shoes : (18 July 2014 - 07:06 PM) @YaoMan I got a bit nervous at the Bosh strike out but one: FA isn't over and two: it's a long way until the trade deadline. As the saying goes, "It's not over until the fat lady sings."
@  YaoMan : (18 July 2014 - 07:00 PM) @ slick shoes, great points. Just nervous energy while all productive FAs are starting to get snatched up!
@  Cooper : (18 July 2014 - 05:24 PM) yeah i doubt they bringing these guys in with the expectation of them being great, we just need guys to soak up some min maybe a few pan out, maybe they don't.

Photo

Recap: San Antonio Spurs 114, Houston Rockets 92.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

New post: Recap: San Antonio Spurs 114, Houston Rockets 92.

#2 Alituro

Alituro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

Yes, this and the OKC games let us know just how far away we are from contention. The more I watch Lin, the more my suspicions about how he was brought here are verified. This had to be a directive from Les to do nothing but once again boost his teams popularity internationally, rather than a result of the complex metrics Morey employs when recruiting. How much longer does it go on? 3 years? There were good reasons why we cut him to begin with. I think it would be wise to try and make him 6th man and start Douglas to play with Harden and the starters. While Lin has got something to prove in his pursuit of stardom, Toney knows he needs to defer to Harden and play like a true point, and I'd much rather have Douglas spotting up in the corner when the defense collapses around Harden than Lin, and he's not even that good in that situation, but Lin's shooting is deplorable. Patterson needs to work on his rebounding in a BAD way, he is an excellent defender and a smart offensive player, but once a shot is jacked up, on either end of the floor, he ceases to exist. I think the biggest hole on our roster right now is at the PG position, which is a shame knowing what we had there last season. If we can fix that problem, it will go a long way to winning more games, shooting % will go up and turnovers down.

#3 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

The mental image I had going into this game was of Jack Sparrow hopelessly swinging his sword into the mouth of the Kraken.
Kudos to James Harden for being the sword. Bigger props to the San Antonio Krakens.

#4 Bigtkirk

Bigtkirk

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

This was Asik's first really off game of the season, and his lack of interior defense was a big factor in the Spurs getting the easy baskets they needed to open a big lead. Given his emergence last season, it's hard to remember that Lin remains a relatively iuexperienced PG by NBA standards and that he is going to endure growing pains just like all PG's do. The best thing about games such as this is that it's only one and it's time to forget it and play another.

#5 Stephen

Stephen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Three thoughts from the wreckage.

While it was garbage time,Jones started playing w/more assurance as the 4Q went on.
He took the ball up the court,looked to be involved in what little offense there was outside of Cook's chucking. A far cry from the scared player who was giving away the ball as if it was a boiling hot potato.
He had a couple of nice passes,one off drive to open Douglas for a three,another out of lane to teammate who swung the ball to a more open 3pt shooter.
Took it to the rim a few times-even if one was w/just a few seconds left-a breach of NBA etiquette :)

Marcus Morris cannot create his own shot against any but the most hapless NBA defender.

Worst of all was the abandonment of any motion in the Rockets offense. It returned to "get the ball on perimeter,try and get past your man,then drive into heart of the defense and hope a miracle happens".
This is the worst possible offense for Lin as he is not a spot-up shooter and is being denied the screens to get him past his man and into open court space.
It's the dribble-drive college offense where the other players are relegated to spot-up shooters...and the results say the Rockets are poor spot-up shooters.
Instead of sticking Lin,Parsons,Morris and Delfino in the 3pt corner and hope their defender gets ADD and leaves them,I'd like to see a return of last season's weave. The offense where the bigs would set screens above the FT line,the wings would weave along the 3pt line and rub off the screens,opening up shooters and lane avenues-the offense that was so successful last yr.
The one the Rockets have abandoned w/Harden on board,but that plays to the strengths of Harden,Lin and Parsons.

#6 Bigtkirk

Bigtkirk

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

One thing I neglected to mention is that I hope Sampson and McHale noticed how Pop uses his bench. Regardless of how much promise the Rockets have shown during the first 18 games of the season, the reality is that this is a development season for a young team. The only way to develop is to play. Playing the young bench players will result in growing pains, but it is in the best long-range interests of the team at this point.

#7 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

One thing I neglected to mention is that I hope Sampson and McHale noticed how Pop uses his bench. Regardless of how much promise the Rockets have shown during the first 18 games of the season, the reality is that this is a development season for a young team. The only way to develop is to play. Playing the young bench players will result in growing pains, but it is in the best long-range interests of the team at this point.

Very important point and something I've written about a lot. But it won't happen, simply for the same reason managers don't follow the same intersets as stockholders in any industry. Incentives aren't aligned. McHale has to think about his job and career - he's not thinking about the future of the Rockets. Popavich basically IS the Spurs, so his interests are the same as the Spurs.

#8 SamC

SamC

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

I think it would be wise to try and make him 6th man and start Douglas to play with Harden and the starters. While Lin has got something to prove in his pursuit of stardom, Toney knows he needs to defer to Harden and play like a true point, and I'd much rather have Douglas spotting up in the corner when the defense collapses around Harden than Lin, and he's not even that good in that situation, but Lin's shooting is deplorable.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lin come in with the second unit but I have to disagree with you when you say Douglas knows how to defer to Harden. Douglas is a shooter. He'll jack up shots when he's hot and when he's cold and he does it when Harden is in. Douglas was so unpopular in NY because he'd jack up shots even when he was cold and continue to do it until D'Antoni would bench him. I don't have any statistics but I'm sure Douglas makes more attempts per minute than Lin. What's annoying for me as a Lin fan is the fact he's constantly standing on the 3 pt line and jacking up 3's when that's not his shot. He should drive to the basket or at least pump fake and take 2 steps closer to the basket and shoot.

#9 amacbrooks12

amacbrooks12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationBronx, New York

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

It's really a shame that it didn't work out with Kyle Lowry and Goran Dragic. If we had kept either one we would be several games above .500 and we wouldn't have to worry about our PG not producing points. Both Lowry and Dragic would've played well with Harden because they don't need the ball in their hands 24/7 to score unlike Lin. Both Lowry and Dragic are also excellent three point shooters (something Lin is not and it's hurting us), and both have been putting up great numbers in points, rebounds, and assists this year. We were all right when we assumed that losing Lowry and Dragic was going to bring struggles to this team. Even Aaron Brooks would've been producing better numbers than Lin currently is, and he is actually doing quite well in SAC with all the problems and guards they have. I just hope either Lin is in a temporary slump or we find a better PG at the deadline/ FA.

#10 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

Lowry = No Harden

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users