Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  cointurtlemoose : (23 October 2014 - 12:09 AM) That said, Philly is ridiculous. It's entertaining on a level, but it's also out of hand. I was for the reform with the proposed percentages they voted on today. Surprised it didn't pass.
@  cointurtlemoose : (23 October 2014 - 12:08 AM) I think it's interesting Mr. Rick. It's kind of a give and take to me. I'm totally okay with teams intentionally going through a 'rebuilding' phase, and I don't think you want to erase that too much with something like the wheel idea.
@  rocketrick : (22 October 2014 - 10:32 PM) No Lipstick on this Pig........NBA GM's say without a doubt James Harden is the #1 SG and Dwight Howard is the #1 C. Probably more hate coming my way for mentioning. I would just like an occasional informative article on this site from time to time but I guess I just expect too much........
@  rocketrick : (22 October 2014 - 09:41 PM) Why the hate when I post something of consequence?
@  rocketrick : (22 October 2014 - 09:41 PM) Wow, so it sounds like everyone is good with the lottery system as is and teams like Philadelphia can continue to strive for more ping=pong balls season after season rather than be expected to field a competitive team. I am shocked that nobody cares whatsoever about the consequences of what this means going forward (same as always)........
@  thejohnnygold : (22 October 2014 - 09:19 PM) Yeah, I don't find much interest in the lottery system change fail. That being said, perhaps you can just start a topic thread like normal people, see what happens, and not condescend the other members in the process. :)
@  feelingsuper... : (22 October 2014 - 07:43 PM) I'm not terribly interested in the 17 to 13 vote that occurred regarding the Lottery. There's my vote.
@  Losthief : (22 October 2014 - 07:36 PM) @rocketrick sure man, lottery stuff is interesting in a nba sense, i didn't post it here cause its not likely to have much impact on rockets per se, cause i expect us to trade that pellies pick and im not expecting us to be in the lottery (plus didn't we give ours to LAL?)
@  rocketrick : (22 October 2014 - 07:21 PM) Is it worth writing a topic regarding the NBA Lottery System and possible changes or am I expecting too much from this site?
@  txtdo1411 : (22 October 2014 - 07:05 PM) Reading the responses to the NBA GM votes, the SG position is the weakest it has been in 30 years. Harden is the worst "best SG in the league" ever. Blah, blah, blah, defense...
@  feelingsuper... : (22 October 2014 - 06:59 PM) Also, one team left to register on the Red94 Fantasy Basketball League, if you haven't checked your email please go ahead and get that rolling. Get your draft orders ready for Sunday.
@  feelingsuper... : (22 October 2014 - 06:56 PM) Dwight and James both earned the number 1 spot at their respective positions according to votes cast by NBA General Managers. It sure is great to have some elite players in Houston again.
@  rocketrick : (22 October 2014 - 05:41 PM) One of several NBA topics NOT discussed on this site this past off-season was the possibility the NBA would change the Lottery Season. You have to go to one of a number of other NBA sites to read what happened when the vote came down earlier this week.
@  Willk : (22 October 2014 - 04:25 AM) JG - I agree Papa will be fine and hope not to see any more of ish
@  thejohnnygold : (22 October 2014 - 03:58 AM) I think it's obvious Papa can shoot. His threes are mostly a tad short, but he'll adjust soon enough. I also agree that Smith might have just played himself off the roster.
@  Buckko : (22 October 2014 - 03:37 AM) Training camp-tired legs, so no one cares about how you shoot in preseason.
@  bboley24 : (22 October 2014 - 02:34 AM) PAPA has time... PLEASE GET ISH SMITH OFF OF THIS ROSTER TOMORROW
@  bboley24 : (22 October 2014 - 02:29 AM) PaPa can't hit a three to save his life
@  thejohnnygold : (22 October 2014 - 12:27 AM) for those who don't know, the game is on TNT tonight
@  thejohnnygold : (21 October 2014 - 10:15 PM) This article makes me happy

Photo

Recap: Portland Blazers 105, Houston Rockets 95

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:37 AM

New post: Recap: Portland Blazers 105, Houston Rockets 95

#2 Dan G

Dan G

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:26 AM

For the second straight day I did not get to watch the game and it was a disappointing loss especially since it was our home opener, but those type of games are bound to happen. It didn't help our home opener was on the second day of a back to back, but Portland had a game last night as well although their stars have not been receiving as many minutes as ours.

Morris did indeed build on his good performance from last night and with PPat back from injury and in the starting lineup, Morris has now become the most consistent scorer off our bench, which is surprising and good news. The only thing I wish now is for the Rockets to once again experiment with playing Morris at the 3 and giving Jones, Motie or White some minutes as the backup 4.

I am glad to see the crowd energized for the home opener as well and I hope this enthusiasm continues. I just hope it wasn't a case of opening night nostalgia and in the coming home games the crowd will start to dwindle down.

I agree Houston is pretty much a bandwagon city, but to me the Astros are a different story. I actually like baseball more than basketball and to see what has become of the Astros is sickening and frightening. The Stros used to have around $115 million in payroll and now it is down to around $20 million. Granted the Astros are still paying significant amount of money to some of the veterans they traded away like Carlos Lee, but their payroll for who is currently left on the roster is around $20 million. I know they are trying to rebuild their farm system and I understand their overall strategy, but in order to put butts in the seats (and in particular mine), they need to have someone on the team that people want to pay good money to see. The more of those guys they get the more butts that will suddenly appear in seats. It's not rocket science. The closest thing the Astros have to a main attraction is Jose Altuve. I love the guy but at this stage he doesn't exactly scream main attraction to me and many Houstonians agree. I don't care how they get more watchable players whether they get them through the farm system, through trades or through free agency, but it is hard to watch a team lose nearly every night with very little hope of them getting better in the next few years.

I'll get off my soapbox about the Astros for now, but I guess my main point is I will start watching or attending Astro games when they once again can at least beat AAA teams on a consistent basis. For now though, I am really excited about the direction of both the Rockets and the Texans are going, so those are the teams I will direct my main attention to.

#3 Bigtkirk

Bigtkirk

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

The lack of solid backups at PG and SG, and McHale's reluctance to develop the Rocket's rookies, are going to be this team's biggest problems. Delfino is a one-trick pony and Douglas is a below replacement level PG.

#4 Brookaveli

Brookaveli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

Great point about Batum being overrated by his fanbase, although I'd say they have been in love with him for several years and at least he appears to be continuing to improve. J.J. Hickson on the other hand.... remember when Cleveland wouldn't include Hickson in trade talks back when they were desperate to win in hopes of keeping LeBron?

#5 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

@Brook: Yeah, IIRC they rejected an Amare-Hickson trade straight up (or at least, that's what was reported). Hickson then got traded to Sacramento where he couldn't even get on the court...

Tonight's game was all about fatigue. Harden missed at least 6 layups that he would normally have made, and any one of them would have won us the game in regulation. It's a clear sign going forwards that McHale must ration Harden's minutes a bit more. 37-38 minutes a night is probably sustainable, but nothing more.

ST

#6 Brookaveli

Brookaveli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Bigtkirk - I agree about our weaknesses.

Assuming that a good or max chunk of our remaining cap space is put towards a stud PF, we aren't going to need so many on our roster, so it seems likely that 2 or 3 of the current group are shipped out. Is it possible that 2Pat and MM are being highlighted now because these are the guys we'd like to trade? We are going to have a heck of a time asking other teams to accept trade value in guys who have been given 0 minutes. Normally I wouldn't expect McHale to coach in a way that facilitates Morey's strategy (McHale has always seemed like he is coaching to win today), but I thought I'd throw it out there.

#7 Jeby

Jeby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

Don't know if I've ever seen a game that was so disappointing overall, but so encouraging in the particulars.
We blew a game that we should have won, and we continued with McHale's trademarked third quarter collapse.
On the other hand, MMorris is proving the doubters/haters wrong (I'm one of them), which is great to see. James Harden had a "bad" night where he put up 24/6/5. You know how many other guys that would be a "bad" night for? Kobe, LeBron, and Durant. That's the list (No Melo. If Melo has five assists in one night, then you know he only did it by accident).
And the way we lost is easier to stomach than a lot of the losses last year. Last night we were buried by a hot streak of threes (PDX shot 40%, we shot 19%). Last season we would lose because the other team would stop playing around with about five minues left and start waltzing into the lane for layups (hey, Luis). Thank God those days are over.

#8 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

Could not agree with you any more on Batum, Paul. Nothing has driven me more crazier in years past. The past few years, almost any time a superstar has been on the market, its almost inevitable that news would be leaked that the Blazers had rejected a deal for said player on account of not wanting to part with Batum. It was almost to the point where you felt it was some intentional leak for the purpose of driving him up as a player.

#9 feelingsupersonic

feelingsupersonic

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,135 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

I don't see how this is a McHale third quarter problem. It is debatable that inserting more inexperienced bench players (rookies) would have just made the loss much uglier and I believe that is no way to assimilate them into quality on court time that can lead to good team building.

To me I saw poor shooting (35%) on regular buckets probably due to fatigue. I saw too many 3's attempted (also due to fatigue) and missed (19%). At the stripe the Rockets shot 66%. None of those dismal stats and the story they tell have anything to do with Mchale.

It might be really simple though. Barkley might say live by the 3 die by the 3.

Not all isolation plays are equal.

#10 Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

I totally agree with the consensus here--fatigue, lack of depth, poor shooting, and lack of practice time were key in this loss. We do indeed lack depth, especially at PG, but in the medium-term I am not at all concerned. If there is one thing we know about Morey, it is his talent for finding inexpensive but solid role players. This year's team is the mirror-image of last year's team--depth was one of our strengths last year, while this year it is having an all-star (bordering on superstar) in the line-up. It is amazing how our-long term prospects are now so much brighter.

#11 Adi1008

Adi1008

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

Was the game 105-95 or 95-85? ESPN, Google, Houston Chronicle, and Bing Sports all say it was 95-85.

#12 sircharles

sircharles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationAustin Tx

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:39 AM

95-85.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users