Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Mario Peña : (17 January 2019 - 01:17 PM) That game last night was a tough loss but that Nets team was scrappy and hit all those threes at the end. The defensive effort was lacking but these loses happen.
@  slick shoes : (14 January 2019 - 09:21 PM) Clint out for a month!
@  slick shoes : (10 January 2019 - 11:52 PM) I would almost rather shelf CP until after the all star break to keep him fresh for a potential postseason run. Would be nice to get EG back sooner than later though.
@  thejohnnygold : (10 January 2019 - 10:22 PM) This has been a brutal stretch of games and we've handled it about as well as could be hoped for. It will be nice to cruise through a slightly softer part of the schedule for a while.
@  Mario Peña : (08 January 2019 - 07:14 PM) The Rockets smoked those Nuggets last night!
@  Mario Peña : (04 January 2019 - 06:49 AM) MVP!!!
@  redfaithful : (04 January 2019 - 06:44 AM) Wow, great great win
@  thejohnnygold : (03 January 2019 - 02:32 PM) I had to go look that up...then I remembered :)
@  slick shoes : (02 January 2019 - 08:37 PM) I'm with JG on this one. March 29, 1990.
@  thejohnnygold : (02 January 2019 - 04:13 PM) I may be biased, but Olajuwon keeps the title of greatest. Not only was he unstoppable offensively, but he was one of the greatest defenders the game has ever seen. Harden is not even close on that end of the floor...yet :)
@  slick shoes : (01 January 2019 - 09:20 PM) I have to concur, I have been pleasantly surprised with our play without CP. I still think we are a 2nd round exit at best without him but hopefully with careful maintenance the rest of the season he can be in uni when we need him.
@  Mario Peña : (31 December 2018 - 09:49 PM) Harden seems unstoppable right now. Maybe the most amazing Rocket of all time though I grew up watching Dream.
@  Mario Peña : (31 December 2018 - 09:46 PM) I had given up hope for the season but it looks like this team could gel. Nene’s presence seems more important that I had figured and I hope he stays healthy.
@  thejohnnygold : (30 December 2018 - 03:21 PM) We're on a pretty impressive stretch...makes me feel a little better about where we are as a team.
@  slick shoes : (21 December 2018 - 02:24 AM) CP going down (again) with a hammy is a big big blow. Barring jesus christ himself joining our squad, we are a 2nd round exit at best. Harden’s championship window just closed i’m afraid :/
@  Losthief : (20 December 2018 - 03:10 AM) and at 11 mil i think he clears for sure.
@  Losthief : (20 December 2018 - 03:09 AM) if he clears waivers we can just sign him at vet min no need to clear any space. Just will cost in luxury tax dollars.
@  slick shoes : (20 December 2018 - 01:14 AM) A Rivers is nice when featured, but I don't know that he is an upgrade over Knight at this point. Maybe if we can trade for cap space and bring him on for the vet min.
@  Losthief : (20 December 2018 - 12:24 AM) jabari was fine in mil w/ space, sucked in chicago...but thats a messed situation. Don't think its worth trading for tho...what do u guys think about our apparent interest in a. rivers?
@  slick shoes : (19 December 2018 - 04:31 PM) I also find it interesting that Ariza wouldn't even sit down with us this summer, then went to a rebuilding team and never really engaged there. Is it just about the money for him at this point? Is he playing the long game to get back to LA?

Photo

And Now We Play The Waiting Game...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,114 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:05 PM

I figure we can use this thread as a general off season thread to get us to October.

While the odds aren't looking good for us to get LBJ or PG-13, there are a lot of other possibilities out there--some good, many bad, all worth discussing.

I'll get to my favorite in a second, but first, it's becoming tradition:

"Steve Kyler: Undrafted Louisville forward Deng Adel will play Summer League with the Houston Rockets, might be one of the best-undrafted defenders in the class."

Apparently, Morey is convinced that if we take every Louisville forward one of them will work out.   :lol: 

I still wish we had Harrell--really liked him.  Maybe we can get him back.

Now, let's dive into some off season fun.

Who thinks we'd be better off with....Carmelo Anthony.   :huh: 

You know OKC doesn't want him and they are in desperate need of outside shooting.  We could send them Ryno and sign+trade Ariza to make the deal work.  We get 1 year of Melo (who then comes off the books in a year with a sterling FA class).  He might still have something left and I still think he is a small-ball option at center that, if engaged, would be a nightmare.  Imagine Draymond with a sweet shooting stroke.  I know, Melo hasn't been Melo in some time, but worst case scenario is we free up $28M in cap space for next season.

Meanwhile, we ditch Ryno who has fallen out of the rotation and you can't pay someone $20M to ride the pine.  Odds are we weren't keeping Ariza so the sign+trade works for him.

OKC would be intriguing next year.  Picture Westbrook, PG-13 (who seems likely to stay put), Ariza, Anderson, and Steven Adams along with P-Pat, Roberson, Jerami Grant, etc.  That's a very strong defensive team and now the 3 pt. shooting is starting to come around.

I'm sure I'll catch a lot of flack for even mentioning Carmelo's name, but it's more for the fun of the conversation.  I'd be willing to roll the dice considering the cost/benefit of it all.

Another interesting acquisition could be Eric Bledsoe.  I believe Milwaukee wants to move him and I think we could get him straight up for Ariza (sign+trade).  Milwaukee loves length and Ariza gives them another lanky defender who can space the floor.

Brogdon, Snell, Ariza, Middleton, and Antetokounmpo is a fascinating line-up.  Plus, they've got Maker, Henson, and possibly Jabari Parker (though they might pass due to his injury history).  I really think they are the right coach away from giving the East serious competition.

Bledsoe gives us a solid bench captain who can help alleviate the "let-down" when Harden/CP3 aren't on the floor.  He's all about getting to the rim, drawing fouls, and can shoot the 3 well enough (when assisted, he is lethal from the corners).

Ignoring the LBJ/PG stuff, the Rockets still have issues to resolve this off season.  Namely: Ryno and Ariza...and a little bit CP3.  Further, I have little doubt someone doesn't offer Capela a hefty contract just to mess with us.

It's gonna be a long Summer....what's everyone else thinking?

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,114 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:36 PM

The NBA awards finally happened.  I don't know about you all, but it feels pretty ho-hum having our star player bring home the MVP.  On top of that, Morey finally got the recognition he has deserved for quite some time and all I can think is 'yawn'.  Don't get me wrong...I'm happy for them...I guess it just felt like this was so long in the making that it was already decided in my head.

Maybe this is a key to unlocking the real potential of this squad.  Now that all the personal things are achieved everyone can really, truly lock in on the ultimate goal.

I think Morey still has 1 more ace up his sleeve...can't wait to see what it is.

#3 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:42 PM

Melo for Anderson is a no brainer for us, they're basically the same player at this point but that extra year for Ryno is a killer. Bledsoe was hot garbage in the playoffs last year, even if it means only trading Ariza Im not convinced he's a guy that helps teams win.

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
    • 5,114 posts
    • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:39 PM

Melo for Anderson is a no brainer for us, they're basically the same player at this point but that extra year for Ryno is a killer. Bledsoe was hot garbage in the playoffs last year, even if it means only trading Ariza Im not convinced he's a guy that helps teams win.

My hope is he would excel playing against 2nd stringers and be able to help Gordon get some open looks.  I'm thinking if he is our 5th or 6th best player then we're doing pretty good.

#5 Losthief

Losthief

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 516 posts
    • LocationHouston

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:48 AM

I'd have to agree with cooper. If we are able to keep Luc (don't see that happening) then maybe an ariza/bledsoe swap would be okay.....but w/o Luc we need ariza. Even still....I think for 15 mil salary slot there are better options out there.

LoSTHieF

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Skilled

#6 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,934 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:07 AM

This is precisely what this Site has chosen to become..........So Sad, Oh Well...........

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
      • 5,114 posts
      • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:21 PM

This is precisely what this Site has chosen to become..........So Sad, Oh Well...........

Well some of us are making an effort and some of us, well...some of us just like to complain rather than contribute.  It's fine if you disagree with me or someone else.  We welcome any other opinions; in fact, sometimes I throw stuff out just to try and get the ball rolling without fully agreeing with it myself.

I'm not sure where it went wrong, but it seems to me two things happened: First, we put our foot down and refused to succumb to the vitriol spewing blow-hards who can't be bothered with distinguishing fact from fiction that populate most boards.  Second, Rahat moved his posts to Twitter and Disqus which is like Disneyworld for vitriol spewing blow hards who can't be bothered with distinguishing fact from fiction.

Turns out, the demographic for people who actually want to have intelligent, fun, civil discourse without the name-calling, hate-slinging, etc. aspect is very small.

I'll say this much: coming here every two weeks to denounce those of us who are still around while contributing little else is about as hypocritical as it gets.  Be the change, Rick...Be the change...

Moving on...I saw yesterday that Morey & Co. are pushing to swap the order of free agency and the draft.  It's interesting.  I think I would prefer that; although, I'm sure it will present it's own issues if implemented.  I think regarding stars and top tier talent it helps teams make better draft decisions; however, this might also further propagate what is becoming an increasingly obvious chasm between teams that are actually trying to win and those who are trying to lose.  I don't know, but I think it is worth trying it out for a few years.

Look at Charlotte.  Kemba, Dwight, Batum, Marvin Williams, Jeremy Lamb, Monk, Kaminsky, Gilchrist...a good coach should be able to squeeze out a playoff berth from that squad in the East.  Rather than add and try to compete, Charlotte is clearly looking to tear it down and rebuild.  Getting rid of Dwight is not a bad idea, but to trade Kemba tells me they are throwing in the towel.  Another East doormat for the next 2-3 years.

Who knows, maybe they can make some quality trades and turn it around faster...Batum has value.  Kemba has value.  Gilchrist to the right team could work.  Hernangomez is a player I think they should try to develop.  I'm not sold on Monk yet, but I could be wrong.

#8 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
      • 2,433 posts
      • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:30 PM

I have also given thought to a Melo Ryno swap in some form but I don’t think Presti would do that right? If George leaves then Melo’s potential value may increase and Presti could garner more before the trade deadline. I wonder how Anthony would respond to being on a team with Paul. I don’t teally think it’s realistic but then again what do I know?

#9 Noah

Noah

• Members
      • Pip
      • 27 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:48 PM

Chase Budinger still available?

#10 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 5,114 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:55 PM

I have also given thought to a Melo Ryno swap in some form but I don’t think Presti would do that right? If George leaves then Melo’s potential value may increase and Presti could garner more before the trade deadline. I wonder how Anthony would respond to being on a team with Paul. I don’t teally think it’s realistic but then again what do I know?

Yeah, it's probably far-fetched for a lot of reasons.  One, 'Melo and D'Antoni didn't exactly set the world on fire in New York.  I also agree that Presti doesn't do this deal for Ryno alone, but is more likely interested in Ariza who is a little bit of Paul George insurance plus he makes Roberson expendable in a potential trade since he can't shoot to save his life.  The problem there is I imagine Charlotte has MKG on the trade block too.  That's two defense only wings on the market at the same time and does any team really want either one?

I have no idea what to expect in FA for us, or any team really.

#11 Losthief

Losthief

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPipPip
        • 516 posts
        • LocationHouston

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:12 PM

I could see him doing it because they need 3pt shooting really badly (and thats ryno's adv. over carmelo). But the extra year is a lot. Interestingly I think it be more likely if PG13 stays (cause then your in win now mode and the money matters less) versus if he leaves (why take the extra year).

@JG Yeah I think it be interesting to try the swap of FA and draft at the very least. Lowe's article says its not just he rockets (evidently been floated around in circles before) but we are the first to 'formally' propose it to league. So, it could actually get a chance to be voted. Does anyone know if they can do it before the next CBA, like is it part of the agreement or up to league office?

LoSTHieF

#12 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
        • 5,114 posts
        • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:35 PM

Chase Budinger still available?

I believe Terrence Jones is available...he had so much potential (I suppose he still does).  Also, D-Mo fared pretty well in China....just sayin'...

I could see him doing it because they need 3pt shooting really badly (and thats ryno's adv. over carmelo). But the extra year is a lot. Interestingly I think it be more likely if PG13 stays (cause then your in win now mode and the money matters less) versus if he leaves (why take the extra year).

@JG Yeah I think it be interesting to try the swap of FA and draft at the very least. Lowe's article says its not just he rockets (evidently been floated around in circles before) but we are the first to 'formally' propose it to league. So, it could actually get a chance to be voted. Does anyone know if they can do it before the next CBA, like is it part of the agreement or up to league office?

I have no idea and I doubt anything happens quickly.

#13 Noah

Noah

• Members
        • Pip
        • 27 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 04:48 PM

In all seriousness, if we miss out on LeBron (which is looking more likely with his opt-out today), and we miss out on PG-13, how would you guys feel about kicking the tires on Demarcus Cousins and letting Capela walk? Would a CP3-Harden-Cousins combo be better than what we have now? The achilles injury certainly is alarming, but doesn’t the reward outweigh the risk here? I’d feel pretty comfortable giving him a max at 28 years old, especially when he doesn’t rely on athleticism. I also think Cousins would be dominate against GS, something Capela cannot, and it would open up the gates for our shooters even more in that potential match up again. Isn’t preparing for this and having the utmost advantage in that series the end game here?

#14 Losthief

Losthief

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPipPip
          • 516 posts
          • LocationHouston

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:52 PM

On offense I like it a lot. He can shoot, pass and post. On defense though he can't switch at all even before the injury (which will only slow him down). I be torn, it depend on how much capela gets moneywise. But we won't have the cap space anyways if we keep paul and ariza, so capela would be the only option.

LoSTHieF

#15 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
          • 5,114 posts
          • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:02 PM

In all seriousness, if we miss out on LeBron (which is looking more likely with his opt-out today), and we miss out on PG-13, how would you guys feel about kicking the tires on Demarcus Cousins and letting Capela walk? Would a CP3-Harden-Cousins combo be better than what we have now? The achilles injury certainly is alarming, but doesn’t the reward outweigh the risk here? I’d feel pretty comfortable giving him a max at 28 years old, especially when he doesn’t rely on athleticism. I also think Cousins would be dominate against GS, something Capela cannot, and it would open up the gates for our shooters even more in that potential match up again. Isn’t preparing for this and having the utmost advantage in that series the end game here?

It's a tough call--and one that I have definitely thought about.

On one hand, you are absolutely right that Cousins at full strength is a force to be reckoned with and gives us an edge at Center versus just about every single team.  He comes with chemistry questions and there is the question about him being a "winner" which is hard to argue when looking at the evidence.

CP3, Harden, Gordon, Tucker, Cousins?  Yeah, I can get down with that.

On the flip side, Capela still has lots of upside and showed he's already an elite defensive presence with potential to emerge offensively.  I'm not saying he can become a legit stretch 5, but does he need to?  I think a solid 15 footer would be fine.  Where Capela shines is his ability to defend the perimeter AND the rim.  Not many players can boast that.  I still remember Capela swatting Towns' shots in round 1, going toe-to toe with Gobert in round 2, and picking Curry's pocket on the perimeter on round 3.

He's an elite "role player" in that he doesn't need to have a single play called for him nor have the ball in his hands in order to contribute and make a difference on the court.

In terms of cap management, I'm not certain, but I'm guessing a max deal for him runs in the $26M range for 4 years.  (Apparently, he can earn up to 25% of the salary cap).  Conversely, Cousins' price tag would be around $30M/year.

My main concern is fit.  With playmakers like CP3, Harden, and Gordon Capela thrives.  With Cousins, we would be just as well off with Patrick Beverley as we would with CP3.  You just have to get the ball into his hands and then set up for a kick-out 3.

I'm still more enamored with the idea of adding another wing playmaker and keeping Capela.  If Morey brought Cousins in I wouldn't complain.  It's a bold move and it shows we're pushing all of our chips into the middle.  It would be tough watching Capela play in his prime on another team (unless we win it all).

If we can nab Tyreke Evans plus JJ Redick I think our offense goes from Juggernaut-Level to Dreadnaught  :o.

Imagine a second unit comprised of Gordon, Redick, Evans, Gerald Green plus a big.  Yeah, they are going to trounce most second units.

Sorry, I'm easily distracted.  I think Cousins winds up in Dallas and makes them a very interesting team.  We retain Capela. B)

#16 Cooper

Cooper

• Members
          • PipPipPipPipPip
          • 1,328 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:02 AM

Capela is better than Boogie and his Achilles is not surgically reattached.

#17 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
            • PipPipPipPipPip
            • 1,934 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

First of all, we cannot trade a free agent like Ariza which is why he signed for $15 million to play this season in Phoenix.

Secondly, OKC is facing like an $80-$90 million luxury tax bill this season with Carmelo PLUS his salary. Carmelo is only under contract for this season. Whereas Ryan Anderson is making a small amount less than Carmelo and has 2 seasons left. So why in the world is a smartly managed team like OKC going to pay $80-$90 milliion in luxury tax 2 seasons in row if they trade Carmelo to Houston for Ryan Anderson?

And as a hardcore fan of the NBA, OKC will be just fine going forward without either/or Carmelo or Ryan Anderson.

Just my .02 cents worth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users