Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thejohnnygold : (22 October 2018 - 02:02 PM) The Rockets may be 1-2 right now, but the Thunder and Lakers are a combined 0-5 :)
@  Mario Peña : (21 October 2018 - 07:13 PM) Many times more concerning is the Rockets defense, specifically the help defense and in the middle. Capela looks a step slow to my eye but who knows?
@  Mario Peña : (21 October 2018 - 07:11 PM) Looks like Rondo spit which is concerning.
@  redfaithful : (21 October 2018 - 11:43 AM) The Lakers are definitely showtime if Lance Stephenson is the one trying to calm things down
@  Losthief : (20 October 2018 - 03:36 AM) Mix of both. Def early in season seemed slow, but working new rotation in doesn't worry too much unless it stays a trend. NO looked awesome though, and shot really well.
@  thejohnnygold : (18 October 2018 - 02:16 PM) I know the Rockets didn't look very good last night, but I honestly can't tell how much of it was us and how much was New Orleans looking good.
@  DenverRocket : (11 October 2018 - 08:30 PM) Last call for fantasy - we could really do with a few more participants. It's free! Register your interest by the end of today on the New Fantasy Season thread
@  Mario Peña : (07 October 2018 - 04:31 PM) If anyone is interested in joining the Red94 fantasy basketball league join in on the New Fantasy Season thread.
@  slick shoes : (05 October 2018 - 02:18 AM) james ennis is looking like our starting three. tenacious, defends well and can shoot the three.
@  Losthief : (21 September 2018 - 10:28 PM) me either...but thibs gonna thib
@  slick shoes : (21 September 2018 - 08:36 PM) Sounds like no one will be getting anything at this point. I don't see the angle the T wolves are trying to play here. This will only affect their locker room negatively going forward.
@  Losthief : (21 September 2018 - 06:49 PM) I didn't mean he deserved/we should give more...but i can see them getting more from others. Its really only one asset and cap filler/matching. Probably take at least two assets (or a higher value pick than our late late 1st)
@  slick shoes : (20 September 2018 - 05:44 PM) They dont have much leverage at this point. He's on the last year of his deal and he wants out. Maybe another developmental player on top of the previously mentioned package?
@  Losthief : (20 September 2018 - 06:51 AM) tough seeing that as enough. Hopefully we make a play for him though.
@  slick shoes : (19 September 2018 - 06:14 PM) Jimmy B has requested a trade. Marquis Chrriss, Brandon Knight, and a future first?
@  slick shoes : (10 September 2018 - 11:22 PM) corey brewer!
@  slick shoes : (31 August 2018 - 04:17 AM) cap space!
@  slick shoes : (23 August 2018 - 06:46 PM) I am hoping the team chemistry building trip to the Bahamas will integrate Melo into the fold quickly. He seems to be open to being a part of our culture instead of Melo on a team so there's at least that.
@  thejohnnygold : (23 August 2018 - 02:06 PM) I'm of the mind to concede judgement to the players. CP3 is too smart to want to bring in dead weight. If he thinks Melo will help, then I have to believe it too.
@  slick shoes : (22 August 2018 - 09:37 PM) As I recall, DH12 spurned many other suitors to join James and Co. It is just a matter of fit. He was not a good one.

Photo

The Trevor Ariza Conundrum

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,105 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:58 PM

The challenges in playing Trevor Ariza

by RAHAT HUQ | MAY 30, 2018 at 08:06 PM

From The Ringer:

Ariza had a minuscule playoff usage rate of 13.5. He can’t take defenders off the dribble, he’s not an effective post scorer, and he doesn’t shoot off of movement. Ariza depends entirely on Harden, Paul, and Eric Gordon to create shots for him, which puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the Rockets’ lead ball handlers when they are playing an elite defense like the Warriors. The math was difficult for Houston in the series, even before Paul went down with a hamstring injury in Game 5, because it had no one else who could create offense.

This was a great piece today from The Ringer diving into the numbers on Trevor Ariza’s offensive inabilities. It’s a topic I’ve gone in on repeatedly in the past, and a sensitive one at that, given the emotional connection cultivated through his longevity. Ariza is in some ways the heart and soul of this team, now the sole holdover on this roster from James Harden’s debut season, aside from Harden himself. It’s hard to imagine this team without Ariza, and that sentiment is more strongly asserted given his defensive efforts in the postseason. He was all-world in the grand scheme of Houston’s defensive scheme, and left everything he had on the hardwood. But it was once unfathomable too to consider life after Patrick Beverley.

Ariza’s problem is that there is very little he does well on offense. He can’t punish smaller defenders inside, he can’t create on his own, and he can’t score in motion; he’s a volume shooter who also isn’t particularly great at attacking close-outs. Maybe none of this matters in a world where Chris Paul is healthy. But I can’t help but imagine the Rockets with another perimeter player with a shred of self-reliance offensively. Maybe that’s odd considering Houston was at one point flirting with the best offensive rating in the league. I guess that sort of self-evaluation is what a matchup with Golden State merits.

#2 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:39 PM

C'mon Dude, You are better than this. That was not the author's article, just a reference and ..... etc.

#3 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,105 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:32 PM

C'mon Dude, You are better than this. That was not the author's article, just a reference and ..... etc.

Not sure what you mean...I copied and pasted the text from the article "as is".  Is there a different article you were referring to?  Perhaps the formatting has confused you?  Yes, he uses a block quote from the Ringer to start the article, but I'm pretty sure those are Huq's words after.  I've edited it to look better.

Either way, if you've got something to say about Ariza this seems like the right time and place...

#4 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:55 AM

When the Pelicans lost to the Warriors in the second round I thought "if they had Paul George they would have been scary...". After the WCF loss, a similar thought came up regarding the Rockets.

Don't know if PG is interested or if DM can pull this off, but with all respect and fondness of Ariza, having PG instead of him means an extra player that can create his own shot that was so missing when CP3 went down, without much sacrifice on the defensive end.

Best thing will be to have both Ariza and PG, but that's probably undoable.

My 2 cents...

#5 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:55 PM

I completely agree with redfaithful. Of course if the Rockets can obtain the services of Paul George, that would likely end Trevor Ariza in Houston unless he agreed to a very favorable Rocket contract going forward to stay.

Which is possible, after all, Trevor Ariza has the advantage of having the complete trust of James Harden and Chris Paul. Just compare that with the Cleveland situation, LeBron basically trusts nobody (except maybe JR Smith).

We can discuss numbers and all of that ad nauseum. What truly counts is the trust factor with the leaders (Harden and CP3) which Trevor Ariza clearly has.

Not much else to discuss regarding Trevor Ariza in my opinion, but I will listen. Hey, if Harden and CP3 love Ariza, we should not doubt them, OK? 

Edited by rocketrick, 07 June 2018 - 10:56 PM.

#6 Noah

Noah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:13 AM

There’s a report out there by Kelly Iko of the Rockets Wire that Trevor Ariza is looking for a contract between $50-60 million over 4-5 years. This is a pretty significant increase compared to his expired contract of $32 million over 4 years, especially considering what we’re trying to accomplish this summer. Paying Ariza $12+ million into his mid and late 30s doesn’t sound like something I’d sign up for. Looks like Ariza’s time in a Rockets uniform might be over.

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,105 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:20 PM

There’s a report out there by Kelly Iko of the Rockets Wire that Trevor Ariza is looking for a contract between $50-60 million over 4-5 years. This is a pretty significant increase compared to his expired contract of $32 million over 4 years, especially considering what we’re trying to accomplish this summer. Paying Ariza $12+ million into his mid and late 30s doesn’t sound like something I’d sign up for. Looks like Ariza’s time in a Rockets uniform might be over.

I have to agree.  I'd very much like to retain Trevor, but we must always be mindful of the salary cap.  Trevor brings a lot to the table...I guess we'll see how much Morey & Co. value that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users