Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thejohnnygold : (02 June 2018 - 03:58 PM) Got you all set up, Rick. Fire away on Ariza!
@  rocketrick : (01 June 2018 - 01:49 PM) I have some comments and ideas about Rahat's article on Trevor Ariza but unfortunately that is no longer possible directly on this site...Rahat's article on "The Challenges in Playing Trevor Ariza"
@  DenverRocket : (29 May 2018 - 04:26 PM) So disappointed, but I agree, great effort. To even be that close despite losing CP3, experiencing such a massive statistical outlier from 3 and some very questionable officiating calls, is just crazy. I feel bad, my youngest was heartbroken going to bed. I told him we'll be back next year :-)
@  rocketrick : (29 May 2018 - 11:30 AM) IMO, the Rockets are clearly on the right track. Like D'Antoni stated in his presser after Game 7, make a few tweeks and let's go again
@  rocketrick : (29 May 2018 - 11:27 AM) Just guessing, so 80% of the time the home team wins Game 7 in the NBA and 99.99% of the time NBA teams don't go 0/27 on 3 pointers. So combine those odds along with the fact CP3 is injured.........
@  rocketrick : (29 May 2018 - 11:25 AM) Looking forward to seeing Nate Silver's statistical breakdown of the Rockets tragic 3 point shooting on his 538 site later today or tomorrow
@  redfaithful : (29 May 2018 - 07:10 AM) Indeed great season, too bad it ended due to injury. First time in very long time that someone made the Warriors look vulnarable
@  Mario Peña : (29 May 2018 - 04:09 AM) What a season. It’s been so much fun to be a fan this year and I’m already hyped for the next season. I’m proud of this team and liked the fight they showed tonight. I think James made a noticeable jump as a superstar in postseason play compared to past elimination games.
@  DenverRocket : (29 May 2018 - 12:46 AM) Don't think I've felt this nervous about a sporting event for a long time!
@  Mario Peña : (27 May 2018 - 02:25 PM) For me the defensive breakdowns and turnovers were the most glaring problems. In the second half the Warriors got the looks from three they didn’t get in the first half. The Rockets have to let them drive and be physical but limit the looks from behind the arc in game 7.
@  08huangj : (27 May 2018 - 03:44 AM) Refs played a part but wasn't fundamentally the problem.
@  08huangj : (27 May 2018 - 03:43 AM) The two straight wide open 3s missed by Tucker and Ariza (when we were up 4)plus the 3 straight free throws missed by Gordon in the 3rd lost us the game.
@  Mario Peña : (27 May 2018 - 02:28 AM) 24 minutes to go!
@  thejohnnygold : (26 May 2018 - 03:47 PM) ...better make it 60...just to be sure.
@  Cooper : (25 May 2018 - 11:25 PM) Yeah maintain the defense, then take like 50 3s and hope to hit 20+
@  thejohnnygold : (25 May 2018 - 09:33 PM) I would like to think that Saturday they play as hard as they've played all year. To be this close and do anything less would be disappointing. I also think there is a chance we dust off Ryan Anderson for 15 minutes or so and hope he's hitting from deep.
@  Mario Peña : (25 May 2018 - 02:02 PM) Looks like championship defense but I guess we’ll see how gritty they can get Saturday.
@  redfaithful : (23 May 2018 - 08:37 AM) Wow. Defense.
@  Mario Peña : (21 May 2018 - 02:29 AM) Reggie and Chris are so annoying as color/analysis commentators.
@  Mario Peña : (16 May 2018 - 06:27 PM) Well there’s this “LeBron wants to play off the ball” rumor making the rounds. https://www.google.c...-in-future/amp/

Photo

Playoffs: Round 2 - Our Sworn Enemy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,032 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 April 2018 - 02:33 PM

Yes, it is time to exact some revenge on The Jazz.  The only thing that makes this less sweet is that their team entered the post season with low-ish expectations so there is only so much heart-crushing, gut-punching, misery-inducing damage to be inflicted.  Maybe next year we can make it hurt worse.

I think a series sweep would be a fine way to let them know just how much better we are than they are right now.  Having said that, they are not going to be an easy out.  The Jazz are well coached, play very hard, have smart players, defend like crazy, and have Donovan Mitchell who is quickly becoming my favorite player from last year's draft; although, De'Aaron Fox and Zach Collins aren't out of the race yet.  Utah should lock him up to an extension as early as possible.

It's a little weird to say, but I think we got lucky that Rubio is likely out for the series.  His absence weakens them on both ends of the floor.  I believe if he were playing we'd have a real series on our hands that would likely go 6 or 7 games.  James Harden can't go beast mode every game.

For those who didn't see the game last night it was another Harden gem.  The only negative to take away from the game is that once we pulled the starters they came roaring back and we had to sub James back into the game.  The good news is he went back to work and quickly put the Jazz down for good.

I said that was the only negative, but there is a little more.  We got nothing from our bench.  They shot 2-15 (2-5 from deep) combined.  It was mostly Gordon and Mbah a Moute who got minutes with Ryan Anderson coming in 3rd with 9 minutes...no one else really contributed despite Nene looking pretty good early in the game.  He finished with 4 minutes played.

Capela logged 36 minutes and put up a 16 & 12  with a block and a steal which probably should have been closer to 22 & 12 with 2 blocks if a few bunnies roll in and the refs don't call goal tending.  Capela is quietly one of the top centers in the NBA.  (Praise Morey!)  He has the best footwork of any center in the league I have seen this year.  For a guy his size he moves effortlessly--something most bigs can't do.  There are others out there who are going to catch, and maybe even surpass, Capela, but right now he is leading the way for another breed of center: Jarrett Allen, Thon Maker, and Mo Bamba to name a few.  I think what makes him uniquely special is his ability to guard out on the perimeter--even against quick guards.  I wonder if he practices guarding Harden?  That would make sense...after that, just about everyone else would be easy.

CP3 had a ho-hum game by his standards, but he was in command of the floor when he was out there.  He even played decent post defense against Gobert a couple of times....not sure if that was intentional or not  :unsure:

I assume Quin Snyder is going to game plan to stop Harden and make someone else beat them.  I don't know...I think I might try to stick to everyone else like glue and just try to force Harden to make his shots.  He's streaky and, ultimately, is just above average shooting from deep.  With a little luck you hope to steal 4 games if Harden goes cold for an extended stretch.  Of course, that's why we have CP3... B)  

Looking forward to the next game  B)

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,032 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:16 PM

Game 2 is in the books and we are tied 1-1 with the Jazz  :angry:

For those who missed the game I wouldn't worry much.  Houston didn't remember this was a playoff game until maybe mid-way through the 2nd quarter.  On top of that, the Jazz couldn't miss and our shots just weren't falling to the tune of 47% from deep for Utah vs. 27% for us.  Consider that and then the 8 point loss (which was closer than it might appear) seems more like a glitch than anything else.

The series is starting to get a little chippy.  Guys like PJ Tucker and Jae Crowder have been channeling Charles Oakley (and I like it!).  Clint Capela is into it.  There was a time when I found him to be a bit stoic and I wasn't sure he even enjoyed the game.  Not anymore.  Capela regularly gets fired up.  He posted 21 & 11 (w/ a steal and 2 blocks) and that stat line, once again, could have easily been better.  It's no surprise that he and Tucker posted the top +/- scores last night (+4 & +3 respectively).

I have to give credit to Utah.  Gobert looked energized.  Donovan Mitchell is just fun to watch.  Joe Ingles is cool as a cucumber.  I don't know what adjustments Snyder made or what he said to them, but it worked.  I do think Donovan Mitchell is watching game tape of Harden and using his own tricks against us--along with superior athleticism  :huh:   That kid is way ahead of the game.  He does not look like a rookie out there.

#3 redfaithful

redfaithful

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:02 AM

Currently the best aspect of this series as well as the previous one - Rockets winning by defense.

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,032 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:02 PM

Currently the best aspect of this series as well as the previous one - Rockets winning by defense.

Yup.  Another sub-par shooting game for us and another double-digit victory.  Combined, we tallied 20 blocks and steals.

On another note...LeBron James.  Are y'all watching this guy?  

#5 Mario Peña

Mario Peña

Officer

• Moderators
  • 2,407 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:20 PM

LeBron is probably the greatest player of all time.

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 5,032 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:00 PM

LeBron is probably the greatest player of all time.

Hard to argue against it.  Add to that the crushing weight of being anointed as the next great one at the age of 14 (I think) plus the burden of the hopes and dreams of an entire city crushed by a century of sports failure and it's that much more impressive.

He will lose votes from those who judge championships heavily, but I don't look at it that way.  He could easily have two more, but he ran into apex Dirk (plus Rick Carlisle's coaching) and twice against the Spurs monster team (plus Pop's coaching).  There's no shame in getting beat by either of those teams.  I always marvel at people's inability to understand the other team is trying to win too.  It's not like LeBron just has to show up and get his trophy.

Let's not forget that he also ran into what will go down as one of the most talented NBA teams ever assembled...and was able to beat them.  Jordan never faced a monster like that (Oh wait, he did...and lost).  Only the 80's Celtics could really compare (maybe Detroit?).  Which brings me to Magic Johnson.  Somehow, always under-rated.  By the time Jordan saw him in the Finals it wasn't the same Lakers team--not by a mile.  Magic was still good, but he had an inferior supporting cast.

It's all subjective and doesn't really matter, but watching LeBron play is just unreal.  Besides, we all know Hakeem is the greatest  B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users