Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  rocketrick : (23 October 2017 - 03:34 PM) Rockets 3-0. Golden State 1-2.
@  DenverRocket : (20 October 2017 - 10:26 PM) CP3 out for a month, potentially. We've reached out to Jameer NElson to fill in according to Chris Haynes https://twitter.com/...483930997547009
@  DenverRocket : (18 October 2017 - 05:48 AM) And the talking heads on TNT have already decided that CP3 won't work with the Rockets, lol
@  DenverRocket : (18 October 2017 - 05:46 AM) Oh yes! That wiped the smile off their faces! :)
@  redfaithful : (18 October 2017 - 05:37 AM) That was a fun 4th Q!
@  DenverRocket : (17 October 2017 - 06:53 PM) Good read on CP3 and James: http://www.espn.com/...nded-chris-paul God damn it, I'm excited for tonight! :)
@  thejohnnygold : (16 October 2017 - 09:25 PM) Let's see what kind of improvement he's made since last season...that market value might be pretty high.
@  slick shoes : (16 October 2017 - 07:03 PM) Capela will be an RFA at the end of the season. Will be interesting to see what his market value will be.
@  thejohnnygold : (11 October 2017 - 04:12 PM) LAST CALL FOR FANTASY BASKETBALL!!!!
@  slick shoes : (04 October 2017 - 02:04 PM) Doesn't matter. I still won't watch it.
@  rocketrick : (04 October 2017 - 01:18 PM) The NBA once again is ahead of the Curve........... 2017-18 All Star Game won't be East vs West for obvious reasons
@  redfaithful : (23 September 2017 - 10:54 PM) The OKC experiment just got way more interesting...
@  slick shoes : (22 September 2017 - 12:26 AM) I'm on the fence about Melo coming to Houston, but I would much rather have him here than the Blazers. Hoping we can get something worked out there sooner than later.
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2017 - 06:12 PM) Thanks. That was good.
@  slick shoes : (14 September 2017 - 03:18 PM) latest podcast with morey.
@  slick shoes : (14 September 2017 - 03:18 PM) http://bleacherrepor...anking-and-more
@  thejohnnygold : (13 September 2017 - 03:07 PM) Hey, everyone who wants to play fantasy basketball needs to go to the forum below and let us know. The draft will be coming up soon.
@  Losthief : (05 September 2017 - 09:29 PM) Tilman Fertitta....I think I am okay with that.
@  Mario Peña : (30 August 2017 - 04:20 AM) I second that. I hope you Red94 guys in Houston are okay.
@  Losthief : (26 August 2017 - 12:06 AM) Hope everyone stays safe and dry!

Photo

Should Ariza Start or Come off the Bench This Season?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:39 AM

It's been a quiet summer and fall so far on this board so I thought I would throw this out as possibly something to consider and see what everyone else thinks.

With CP3 now on board, there is more than enough offense with the starting 5 and I'm just looking at ways to make 6-8 more productive, efficient and effective this season.

Mbah a Moute has been a starter for a number of professional games. Also, I do believe PJ Tucker could possibly be more effective in the starting lineup vs. one of the 6-8 spots in the lineup (in other words, one of the first 3 substitutions on a consistent basis).

Ariza has one season under his belt playing with Eric Gordon. PJ and Mbah don't have that yet. I do believe Eric Gordon, Nene and Ariza could be a quite effective bench especially since either Harden or CP3 will also be on the court with them quite a lot I would imagine.

So what does everyone else here think about the Rockets rotation going forward?

I for one am super pumped about going to the Rockets games this season with this roster. Golden State is no doubt the King of the Hill at this point. However, I do believe the Rockets are set up to challenge for the Title this season..

#2 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,952 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

I'm with you.  D'Antoni has got to be giddy looking at all the different possibilities he has.  The Rockets, like the Cavs, have already shown a line-up featuring Ryan Anderson at center with ALL the 3&D wings around him plus Harden at the point.  Funny enough, I think Tucker was playing "center" in that line-up and has already garnered the nickname, "Tuck-Wagon".

I think Ariza continues to start, but D'Antoni can now alter his line-up from game to game the way Brad Stevens does and I think we'll see players' minutes fluctuate in that 6-8 range all the way through 9-10.

We've got Tarik Black 3rd on the depth chart at center and we all remember what he brings to the table.  On top of that, Zhou Qi might bump him to 4th by the end of the season if he can continue to show that his current lack of strength doesn't prevent him from contributing.  I mean, he's not going to bang down low with the likes of Pekovic, Mozgov, or Baynes; however, I could see him giving certain players trouble with his length and agility.

Then there is Troy Williams.  Where does he fit?  The Rockets are a 12-deep team and that is before you count Bobby Brown or Zhou Qi.

It looks like we are in for a very fun year.  The guys are talking about a top 5 defense.  We will score plenty.  This team finally has a leader on the floor (who wants to be the leader on the floor).  It's going to be an awesome season for basketball fans in general with so many super teams--there are going to be great games (almost) every night.  This is the year (if you've never done it) to sign up for league pass.

#3 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

I'm still trying to figure out who the 9th and 19th guys are regarding the regular season rotation. Any thoughts on that?

#4 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,952 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

I'm still trying to figure out who the 9th and 19th guys are regarding the regular season rotation. Any thoughts on that?

First 8: Harden, Paul, Ariza, Anderson, Capela

Next 3: Gordon, Nene, PJ Tucker

After that any one of Mbah a Moute, Isaiah Taylor, or Troy Williams depending on match-ups or game situation (offense/defense)

End of bench: Bobby Brown, Tarik Black, Zhou Qi?

G-League: Onuaku, Cam Oliver, Quarterman/Jackson?

I realize this doesn't answer the question, but I imagine D'Antoni is going to take advantage of our depth.  Mbah a Moute will give us extra defense.  Williams can be a huge catalyst for the offense off the bench.  The same goes for Taylor.  (I also think Anderson finds himself gunning with the second unit quite a bit).  If I had to pick one of those 3 to lead in minutes played I'd go with Mbah a Moute.

The biggest question for me heading into the season is whether or not Qi stays in Houston or they send him to RGV.  If he does stay in Houston will he see the floor at all?

#5 rocketrick

rocketrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:30 AM

After that any one of Mbah a Moute, Isaiah Taylor, or Troy Williams depending on match-ups or game situation (offense/defense)

End of bench: Bobby Brown, Tarik Black, Zhou Qi?

G-League: Onuaku, Cam Oliver, Quarterman/Jackson?

I realize this doesn't answer the question, but I imagine D'Antoni is going to take advantage of our depth.  Mbah a Moute will give us extra defense.  Williams can be a huge catalyst for the offense off the bench.  The same goes for Taylor.  (I also think Anderson finds himself gunning with the second unit quite a bit).  If I had to pick one of those 3 to lead in minutes played I'd go with Mbah a Moute.

The biggest question for me heading into the season is whether or not Qi stays in Houston or they send him to RGV.  If he does stay in Houston will he see the floor at all?

Interesting roster moves by the Rockets here at the end of pre-season. First of all, they released Isaiah Taylor which I think is somewhat unexpected. However, it seems the Rockets liked Demetrius Jackson better so I believe the Rockets decided on D Jackson for PG depth over I Taylor. D Jackson was with the Celtics last season and was waived so the Celtics could fit Gordon Hayward into the Cap space in order to sign him during the free agency frenzy this past July.

Quarterman and Oliver were also released by the Rockets.

I see Danuel House also made the final roster. I don't recall seeing him during pre-season. Was he on the Rockets summer league team?

Looks like D Jackson and D House are the 2 likely designated for the G League?

In addition, the Rockets still have 1 roster spot open so it will be interesting to see if they are looking to add another veteran that perhaps gets cut by another team finalizing their roster prior to the start of the regular season or if they go with another youngster for the G League.

Go Rockets!!

Edited by rocketrick, 16 October 2017 - 04:34 AM.

#6 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,952 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:11 PM

Interesting roster moves by the Rockets here at the end of pre-season. First of all, they released Isaiah Taylor which I think is somewhat unexpected. However, it seems the Rockets liked Demetrius Jackson better so I believe the Rockets decided on D Jackson for PG depth over I Taylor. D Jackson was with the Celtics last season and was waived so the Celtics could fit Gordon Hayward into the Cap space in order to sign him during the free agency frenzy this past July.

Quarterman and Oliver were also released by the Rockets.

I see Danuel House also made the final roster. I don't recall seeing him during pre-season. Was he on the Rockets summer league team?

Looks like D Jackson and D House are the 2 likely designated for the G League?

In addition, the Rockets still have 1 roster spot open so it will be interesting to see if they are looking to add another veteran that perhaps gets cut by another team finalizing their roster prior to the start of the regular season or if they go with another youngster for the G League.

Go Rockets!!

Well, I guess my Isaiah Taylor hype train has come off the rails.  :(   Maybe he can find his way onto another team...

Demetrius Jackson played a whopping 17 minutes last season, but there is no shame in that considering the Celtic's backcourt depth last season.  He did impress in those 17 minutes...

He posted per36 numbers of 21.2 points, 8.5 rebounds, 6.4 assists, and 0 turnovers on .753 TS%.  Obviously, this is not sustainable.  My guess is he outshines Taylor on the defensive end and that won him the spot in the end.

I have to admit, I'm about as excited as I can be about our chances to get to the Finals (considering the Golden State problem).

#7 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,952 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted Yesterday, 05:39 PM

Am I crazy or has there been a lot of injuries for just 1 week played?

#8 slick shoes

slick shoes

Naysayer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted Yesterday, 06:14 PM

Am I crazy or has there been a lot of injuries for just 1 week played?

I was thinking the same thing. I also cannot believe that Phoenix fired their coach after THREE GAMES! What did they learn after 3 games that they did not know going into the season? What a trainwreck. 

when you win two games in a row that's called a winning streak.

trickin' six digits on kicks and still holdin'.

#9 thejohnnygold

thejohnnygold

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 4,952 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted Yesterday, 11:11 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I also cannot believe that Phoenix fired their coach after THREE GAMES! What did they learn after 3 games that they did not know going into the season? What a trainwreck. 

That's a good question.  Apparently, there was a disconnect between the coach and the GM.  The GM has done a pretty good job of getting talent (not counting Len).  If they can ever get solid production from the center position and stay healthy they could win some games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users