Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  DenverRocket : (18 October 2017 - 05:48 AM) And the talking heads on TNT have already decided that CP3 won't work with the Rockets, lol
@  DenverRocket : (18 October 2017 - 05:46 AM) Oh yes! That wiped the smile off their faces! :)
@  redfaithful : (18 October 2017 - 05:37 AM) That was a fun 4th Q!
@  DenverRocket : (17 October 2017 - 06:53 PM) Good read on CP3 and James: http://www.espn.com/...nded-chris-paul God damn it, I'm excited for tonight! :)
@  thejohnnygold : (16 October 2017 - 09:25 PM) Let's see what kind of improvement he's made since last season...that market value might be pretty high.
@  slick shoes : (16 October 2017 - 07:03 PM) Capela will be an RFA at the end of the season. Will be interesting to see what his market value will be.
@  thejohnnygold : (11 October 2017 - 04:12 PM) LAST CALL FOR FANTASY BASKETBALL!!!!
@  slick shoes : (04 October 2017 - 02:04 PM) Doesn't matter. I still won't watch it.
@  rocketrick : (04 October 2017 - 01:18 PM) The NBA once again is ahead of the Curve........... 2017-18 All Star Game won't be East vs West for obvious reasons
@  redfaithful : (23 September 2017 - 10:54 PM) The OKC experiment just got way more interesting...
@  slick shoes : (22 September 2017 - 12:26 AM) I'm on the fence about Melo coming to Houston, but I would much rather have him here than the Blazers. Hoping we can get something worked out there sooner than later.
@  thejohnnygold : (14 September 2017 - 06:12 PM) Thanks. That was good.
@  slick shoes : (14 September 2017 - 03:18 PM) latest podcast with morey.
@  slick shoes : (14 September 2017 - 03:18 PM) http://bleacherrepor...anking-and-more
@  thejohnnygold : (13 September 2017 - 03:07 PM) Hey, everyone who wants to play fantasy basketball needs to go to the forum below and let us know. The draft will be coming up soon.
@  Losthief : (05 September 2017 - 09:29 PM) Tilman Fertitta....I think I am okay with that.
@  Mario Peña : (30 August 2017 - 04:20 AM) I second that. I hope you Red94 guys in Houston are okay.
@  Losthief : (26 August 2017 - 12:06 AM) Hope everyone stays safe and dry!
@  slick shoes : (23 August 2017 - 12:30 PM) Mostly I'm glad that none of them moved to a West team.
@  redfaithful : (23 August 2017 - 11:39 AM) Basketball reasons aside, it would have been very difficult for the Celtics to sign IT next summer with their cap situation, while Kyrie has 2 years left

Photo

Sam Dekker vs. Harrison Barnes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

New post: Sam Dekker vs. Harrison Barnes
By: Rahat Huq

When pressed for a player comparison on the most recent Lowe Post, Daryl Morey mentioned Harrison Barnes as a comp. for Rockets forward Sam Dekker.

Via basketballreference, here are the per 36 numbers for both players in their second seasons.  Dekker is 22 and Barnes was 21, at the time.

Barnes was a slightly better three point shooter at that stage than Dekker, but Dekker is significantly better on 2's.

And here's the much more meaningful advanced statistical breakdown.  Dekker is significantly better on the boards and also blocks more shots while turning the ball over less.  Morey had noted in the interview that he felt Dekker was the better player.

And here is Barnes through the years, leading up to this season, his age-24 season.  Points have gone up drastically due to the higher usage but the rebounding totals are pretty disappointing for a player of that athleticism.  The long distance shooting has also come down to earth now that he has been removed from that Golden State ecosystem.  Barnes is on the books this season for the Mavs at $22 million.

One hopes Dekker can duplicate the shooting accuracy Barnes provided the Warriors in 2014-2015 (41% on 3's) en route to their title.  He's the latest of Morey's draft-day gems.

#2 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:19 PM

Not a bad comparison Dekker & Harrison Barnes. Just a slight wrinkle for what it's worth. According to 82games.com

............ "Production by Positions"...................Team % at position.................Net Pts............................

Dekker (16/17)........................................................SF 6%..............................-19................................
................................................................................PF 34%............................+83...............................

Barnes (13/14)........................................................SF 67%............................-106...............................
................................................................................PF 13%............................+70................................

The % at position comparison is probably closest with Dekker (16/17) & Barnes (14/15):
Barnes (14/15)........................................................SF 6%................................+4.................................
................................................................................PF 49%..............................+395.............................

My preference would be for the Rockets to draft or obtain additional small forwards in the offseason. Dekker continue as backup PF.

Edited by Jatman20, 04 March 2017 - 11:28 PM.

#3 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:47 AM

I think Dekker for sure will continue to be a D'Antoni 4.  

#4 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:18 AM

I think Dekker for sure will continue to be a D'Antoni 4.

I would agree. This team would fill a void by bringing in a starter or back up to Ariza next season.

PG/SG: Harden/Bev/EGo/LoW.......enough offense with defense provided by Beverley. Possibly adding Payton II or Taylor.
SF:.......Ariza
PF:.......Ryno/Dekker
C:.........Capela/Harrell....................Chinanu. *Nene logs majority of his time at Center; but is UFA this summer.

Hopefully the Rockets provide dossier to Harrell in exit interview; work on def rotations-positioning/blocking shots/rebounds over the summer.

*According to 82games.com

Edited by Jatman20, 05 March 2017 - 05:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users