Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  thejohnnygold : (17 April 2017 - 12:47 PM) The defense was there too. All in all, a good win.
@  Mario Peña : (17 April 2017 - 04:08 AM) I like that effort on the boards tonight and second chance points tonight. I hope they can finish OKC in 5 or less.
@  DenverRocket : (05 April 2017 - 07:15 PM) Give me a shout and if I'm around, I'll be happy to honor my commitment!
@  slick shoes : (05 April 2017 - 06:34 PM) I'll be in Denver Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend ;)
@  DenverRocket : (05 April 2017 - 04:52 PM) Oh and congrats to @SlickShoes on winning the bracket challenge handily :) If I ever meet you, I'll buy you a beer!
@  DenverRocket : (04 April 2017 - 06:23 PM) Worth a read, Who's The Best Bargain in the NBA: http://www.espn.com/...nd-best-bargain
@  thejohnnygold : (31 March 2017 - 04:19 PM) Probably...mine's toast.
@  slick shoes : (31 March 2017 - 02:12 PM) Is it safe to assume I have taken the bracket challenge??
@  thejohnnygold : (15 March 2017 - 12:58 PM) I'm in!
@  DenverRocket : (15 March 2017 - 02:12 AM) You can join my not knowing anything club! :-)
@  slick shoes : (15 March 2017 - 01:34 AM) I filled one out. I don't know anything about college ball so everything was gut feel. wish me luck!
@  DenverRocket : (15 March 2017 - 12:06 AM) If anyone is interested in joining a Red94 bracket challenge, I've set one up here: http://games.espn.co...groupID=1517203
@  slick shoes : (14 March 2017 - 02:48 PM) As much fun as it is to watch the Warriors lose, I'm gonna need them to go ahead and take 1st place again so that we can potentially avoid them until the WCF.
@  SadLakerFan : (13 March 2017 - 02:24 PM) My Lakers coming into town. Hope Bev can cover our SG of the future David Nwaba. He's lighting it up.
@  thejohnnygold : (08 March 2017 - 11:24 PM) I'm not really finding much info on it. We'll see if it persists or was just one of those things that happens in competition sometimes.
@  slick shoes : (07 March 2017 - 06:00 PM) Interesting to see that Dwight is having some of the same issues in Atlanta that he had here.
@  thejohnnygold : (27 February 2017 - 05:43 AM) I don't think this is all or nothing. We've still got some defensive issues to deal with, but this team can give anyone a run for their money.
@  slick shoes : (26 February 2017 - 11:38 PM) i just hope to legitimately compete for the title. winning is only a bonus.
@  rocketrick : (26 February 2017 - 06:19 PM) All the moaning and groaning will suddenly appear should the Rockets fail to win the Title this season. It is What It Is........
@  thejohnnygold : (26 February 2017 - 03:25 PM) Anybody else watching the new and improved Rockets? Looking good so far...

Photo

Sam Dekker vs. Harrison Barnes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Red94

Red94

• Administrators
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

New post: Sam Dekker vs. Harrison Barnes
    By: Rahat Huq

When pressed for a player comparison on the most recent Lowe Post, Daryl Morey mentioned Harrison Barnes as a comp. for Rockets forward Sam Dekker.

Via basketballreference, here are the per 36 numbers for both players in their second seasons.  Dekker is 22 and Barnes was 21, at the time.

Barnes was a slightly better three point shooter at that stage than Dekker, but Dekker is significantly better on 2's.

And here's the much more meaningful advanced statistical breakdown.  Dekker is significantly better on the boards and also blocks more shots while turning the ball over less.  Morey had noted in the interview that he felt Dekker was the better player.

And here is Barnes through the years, leading up to this season, his age-24 season.  Points have gone up drastically due to the higher usage but the rebounding totals are pretty disappointing for a player of that athleticism.  The long distance shooting has also come down to earth now that he has been removed from that Golden State ecosystem.  Barnes is on the books this season for the Mavs at $22 million.

One hopes Dekker can duplicate the shooting accuracy Barnes provided the Warriors in 2014-2015 (41% on 3's) en route to their title.  He's the latest of Morey's draft-day gems.

#2 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 466 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:19 PM

Not a bad comparison Dekker & Harrison Barnes. Just a slight wrinkle for what it's worth. According to 82games.com

............ "Production by Positions"...................Team % at position.................Net Pts............................

Dekker (16/17)........................................................SF 6%..............................-19................................
      ................................................................................PF 34%............................+83...............................

Barnes (13/14)........................................................SF 67%............................-106...............................
      ................................................................................PF 13%............................+70................................

The % at position comparison is probably closest with Dekker (16/17) & Barnes (14/15):
      Barnes (14/15)........................................................SF 6%................................+4.................................
      ................................................................................PF 49%..............................+395.............................

My preference would be for the Rockets to draft or obtain additional small forwards in the offseason. Dekker continue as backup PF.

Edited by Jatman20, 04 March 2017 - 11:28 PM.

#3 Rahat Huq

Rahat Huq

Administrator

• Administrators
      • 1,597 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:47 AM

I think Dekker for sure will continue to be a D'Antoni 4.  

#4 Jatman20

Jatman20

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 466 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:18 AM

I think Dekker for sure will continue to be a D'Antoni 4.

I would agree. This team would fill a void by bringing in a starter or back up to Ariza next season.

PG/SG: Harden/Bev/EGo/LoW.......enough offense with defense provided by Beverley. Possibly adding Payton II or Taylor.
          SF:.......Ariza
          PF:.......Ryno/Dekker
          C:.........Capela/Harrell....................Chinanu. *Nene logs majority of his time at Center; but is UFA this summer.

Hopefully the Rockets provide dossier to Harrell in exit interview; work on def rotations-positioning/blocking shots/rebounds over the summer.

*According to 82games.com

Edited by Jatman20, 05 March 2017 - 05:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users